Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season.

This guy is the future sox third baseman--no time like the present if Youk is going to be out for a while. The kid is a player and we have seen players make a major move in September. We need a spark and he may be the spark--I'm not saying he's going to be a Longoria but he is that type of talent.
    Theo make the move.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season.

In Response to Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season.:
    [QUOTE]This guy is the future sox third baseman--no time like the present if Youk is going to be out for a while. The kid is a player and we have seen players make a major move in September. We need a spark and he may be the spark--I'm not saying he's going to be a Longoria but he is that type of talent. Theo make the move.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Between all our conditioning/injury problems and our depleted staff our team has serious issues if we can't get healthy for the PS.  I knew moving Youk to 3B would shorten his career but this is getting ridiculous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]This guy is the future sox third baseman--no time like the present if Youk is going to be out for a while. The kid is a player and we have seen players make a major move in September. We need a spark and he may be the spark--I'm not saying he's going to be a Longoria but he is that type of talent. Theo make the move.

He didn't even give the Pawtucket lineup a spark.  What makes you think he will be any better in Boston?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season. : Between all our conditioning/injury problems and our depleted staff our team has serious issues if we can't get healthy for the PS.  I knew moving Youk to 3B would shorten his career but this is getting ridiculous.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how moving to 3B is the reason for Youk's injuries. He's been on the DL the last couple of years while playing 1B. For whatever reason, Youk seems to be as injury-prone as Drew. Fans give him a break because he growls a lot, which makes it seem like he cares more than Drew.

I'm not bashing Youk, mind you. Just stating the facts that for whatever reason, he's been injury-prone in recent years. Maybe that's a reason not to move him to 3B, but it's my opinion  he would have ended up on the DL just the same had he stayed at 1B.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Fans give him a break because he growls a lot, which makes it seem like he cares more than
     Drew

You're kidding right ??  Fans give him a break because when he's in the Lineup he actually produces which is something Drew has rarely done !! FWIW... I really think Drew could care less about baseball or winning for that matter the guy has already retired.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Fans give him a break because he growls a lot, which makes it seem like he cares more than  Drew You're kidding right ??  Fans give him a break because when he's in the Lineup he actually produces which is something Drew has rarely done !! FWIW... I really think Drew could care less about baseball or winning for that matter the guy has already retired.
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

It was a bit of hyperbole. (I thought using growl, people would see that). The point remains that from 2007 to 2010, Youk and Drew played nearly the same number of games, yet Youk is viewed some dirt dog and Drew a slacker. And yes, some of that might be production, but a lot -- you have to admit -- is simply body language.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Youk plays the game hard. He is not the most graceful player. Kind of the bull in the china shop. Gets hit with pitches , fouls balls off his foot , stumbles , trips and falls , etc.  That all takes its toll , after a while.  I don't think playing third base is all that much different than first base. Both are corner infield positions.  He just seems to be wearing down in general.  I don't think Middlebrooks is ready for the show quite yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bad-Scene. Show Bad-Scene's posts

[QUOTE]Youk plays the game hard. He is not the most graceful player. Kind of the bull in the china shop. Gets hit with pitches , fouls balls off his foot , stumbles , trips and falls , etc.  That all takes its toll , after a while.  I don't think playing third base is all that much different than first base. Both are corner infield positions.  He just seems to be wearing down in general.  I don't think Middlebrooks is ready for the show quite yet.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

He's only 32 he may be hurt and not having his best season but I think he will come back and have a good year.  Youkilis is a good player, tough out fouls a ton of pitches off. I'm a Yankee fan but I've always admired what Youkilis does and I think he still has productive baseball ahead of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I just don't get how Youk keeps hurting himself.  I get that pitchers have injury problems but I just don't get how some players just get hurt time and time again.  I mean first the back and now the hip?  Is this a conditioning issue?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middlebrooks isnt on the 40-man and is NOT ready for MLB pitching...He needs another year at AAA...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I HAVE CALLED FOR A JOINT MEETING OF CONGRESS TO DISCUSS THE STATE OF THE RED SOX........  THEO & TITO MUST ACT NOW IN PUTTING OUR TEAM IN THE POSITION TO WIN !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Middlebrooks isn't ready offensively or defensively to help us.  He needs more time to develop.  All we need is some solid pitching and our offense will be fine.  Its not like Youk has had a great season anyway.  It's primarily our starting pitching and pen who are bringing this team down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

There is a 12-year old out there somewhere, probably California or Venezuela, that is the Red Sox third baseman of 2028.  Let's give him a shot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The kid turned 23 the day of your post.

Belated Happy Birthday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

It serves no purpose to push Middlebrooks to the big leagues.    Let him keep learning instead of rushing him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I just don't get how Youk keeps hurting himself.  I get that pitchers have injury problems but I just don't get how some players just get hurt time and time again.  I mean first the back and now the hip?  Is this a conditioning issue?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

What is the common theme with players that get injured a lot? Just asking.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

There's what 17-18 games left? Let's take a look at least. Throw him in for a couple of games, see what happens. The no-no birds are all over this already. They have the mindset that because a player shows little at the minor league level he can't possibly be ready or do anything at the major league level and they have the stats from the day the kid spiked up until now to prove it. Gentlemen, throw that information away. It's useless. It's like taking a guy and throwing him overboard not knowing if he can swim. You're saying he can't swim without letting him try. Maybe this kid can play. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bad-Scene. Show Bad-Scene's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season. : What is the common theme with players that get injured a lot? Just asking.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    You're not allowed to say that here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season. : I'm not sure how moving to 3B is the reason for Youk's injuries. He's been on the DL the last couple of years while playing 1B. For whatever reason, Youk seems to be as injury-prone as Drew. Fans give him a break because he growls a lot, which makes it seem like he cares more than Drew. I'm not bashing Youk, mind you. Just stating the facts that for whatever reason, he's been injury-prone in recent years. Maybe that's a reason not to move him to 3B, but it's my opinion  he would have ended up on the DL just the same had he stayed at 1B.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy!

REALLY???

You're not serious!  Youk's body may not be able to handle 3rd in the long run, but there is NO COMPARISON to Drew.  1st, It's obvious that Youk gives a rip!  He wants to be in there!!!  Unlike Drew, who could clearly care less!  Youk's problem....... is that he cares too much.  Sometimes, he frankly hurts himself by hustling too much on certain plays....  especially running down to 1st on an infield hit.  HE is not a runner!  & he needs to accept it!  Hustle!  But not so hard you hurt yourself.   DREW?????  He just wants to hang with his Lord & not worry about the whole Red Sox fanatic thing.  Fine!  Go on a mission...........

PLEASE!!!!!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mtddlebrooks at third for the balance of the season. : Roy! REALLY??? You're not serious!  Youk's body may not be able to handle 3rd in the long run, but there is NO COMPARISON to Drew.  1st, It's obvious that Youk gives a rip!  He wants to be in there!!!  Unlike Drew, who could clearly care less!  Youk's problem....... is that he cares too much.  Sometimes, he frankly hurts himself by hustling too much on certain plays....  especially running down to 1st on an infield hit.  HE is not a runner!  & he needs to accept it!  Hustle!  But not so hard you hurt yourself.   DREW?????  He just wants to hang with his Lord & not worry about the whole Red Sox fanatic thing.  Fine!  Go on a mission........... PLEASE!!!!!!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

I think Roy's post is apt.  The idea that only extroverts like Youk & Pedroia care and try hard, while introverts like Drew are wet is absurd.  A quick check reveals that Drew averaged 124 games from 2000-2010 (from starting status through last year) while Youk averaged 135 games from 2006-2010 (same criteria).  11 games per year.  Include 2011 to date and the gap grows to 12 per season!

So Youk, playing on average 2 extra games per month over 6-12 years, is a Hercules-like hard man shaving his (balding) head and kicking water coolers, while Drew is a weak, Felix Unger-like character trying not to fall over while dusting the top of the refridgerator?

I'm not suggesting they are equivalent players - I believe Youk is clearly superior - but that Drew is not judged fairly because he doesn't show the macho, shatkicking attitude psuedo-hard men on the internet think he should to prove he "cares".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

No way Middlebrooks even smells the majors this year. He has skyrocketed up the prospect charts the past year and a half but before that he was pretty much worthless. I personally think he is probably over rated right now but he is a great prospect. Just not ready at all from any perspective.

Sections
Shortcuts