Multi-Year Contracts of the Epstein Age -How did they work out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Multi-Year Contracts of the Epstein Age -How did they work out?

No, but the metric you like to use says he's one of the worst.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Two world Championships are not bad for a team who hadnt won in eight decades. 

Dice K was a failure, but guys like Schill, Mueller, Ortiz outweigh that deal since they helped get the team rings.  Drew is another player who has given value, he was over paid but not by much.  He has been admirable in RF and will fade off into the sunset and let Kalish or Reddick take over in 2012.

Lackey might be a worse deal then Dice-K and Crawfords could come back to bite the team if he does not improve his average and his overall stats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think it's a fair analysis.  The one thing it lacks, imho, is context.  I think a lot of the big FA deals lack value.  They can only be compared to how average teams fare in FA deals.  Just looking at the top 34 contracts, it looks like 12 the team got hosed on, mayb e 9 it is too early to tell, maybe 5 we're the team got solid value, and the rest are about break even.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even if Crawford gives us his career average year times 7, he's still not worth $142M. That's the worst part about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

The metric I use shows that a claim that Jeter "was never ever a good defensive SS" is wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Adrian Gonzalez may be the first guy they have acquired in a while that they may have looked at the spray charts and said to themselves "wow and 81 games in Fenway...". 

Cameron, Hall, Bay, Lowell, ..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Lowrie, the elite MLB SS, has had 2 MRI's that need another angle. Lowrie is a pretzel who simply needs some metal rods inserted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The calls of a expert talent evaluator from his couch! Specializing in upper body motion when running.

Hall  DFA  sunk cost     "He will domiate AAAA NL pitching"
    Patterson DFA    "starter"
    Lugo  (-) $31m    "not a bust"
    Bay faded    "keep him, where will RBI come from"
    OKI  faded
    DiceK  fat and lazy
    Beckett  written off    "signing Beckett is 2nd biggest Theo mistake"
    Cameron over Jake in CF   "Jake should back him up in 2011"
    Jake "Poor lead off" "reverse pivot" "lot's of upper-body motion"

vs:

JL injured in a collision with the fastest player in MLB

=  dim bulb

"Make Iggy the UIF to start 2011 skipping AAA"
    3rd extra base hit last night in last 280 ish PA.  What?  yes 3rd!

= very dim bulb

Lugo, Julio (2006) 4 years 36 Million: He ended up sucking pretty bad and the Sox ended up eating a good bit of his contract. He earned 1 WAR/4.2 Million. -31.40 Million

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The metric I use shows that a claim that Jeter "was never ever a good defensive SS" is wrong.

You have used UZR/150 to bash Jake over the head for years. Are you now switching metrics?

Moving the goalpost is your expertise.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lugo, Julio (2006) 4 years 36 Million: He ended up sucking pretty bad and the Sox ended up eating a good bit of his contract. He earned 1 WAR/4.2 Million. -31.40 Million

But, he was our "wire to wire SS"!

You think if we win a ring this year with Jake as our wire to wire CF'er, he will praise Jake?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Multi-Year Contracts of the Epstein Age -How did they work out?:
    [QUOTE]Adrian Gonzalez may be the first guy they have acquired in a while that they may have looked at the spray charts and said to themselves "wow and 81 games in Fenway...".  Cameron, Hall, Bay, Lowell, ..
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]I hadn't really given  Cameron much thought or for that matter Bay. Lowell frankly IMO was a case of "we'll take him to get Beckett and hope we don't end up eating the contract."  Hall's attraction IO was he played a lot positions, even if none were played well, his versatilty on a team with Lowell and Ortiz taking up 2 roster spots was huge (so long as the Brewers were paying most of the freight).

As I mentioned earlier the author of the article skipped over some very good deals. Ortiz initial signing being most notable but Beckett's first extension, Millar and Bellhorn were all pretty good deals too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BHall did a great job for us last year with all those injuries.

Cameron's injury last year didn't help. With Ellsbury out most of the year, he would have had an opportunity to shine.

The Lowell/Beckett trade was one thing; the extension was another. I do recall talk that the Phillies offered Mikey more. I don't recall anyone here saying the deal was a bad one. The hip injury didn't help.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

What about the excellent volunteer, today's starter pitcher, Timmy the Knuckluh?  Murphy for Gagne? H Ramirez for Beckett/Lowell? Garciaparra?  Cabrerra? The short stop Gonzalez (twice)?  Trade for Victor Martinez?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Mike's extension is typical of one of the things we never do as observers, fans or the media.

We never seem to calculate injury as an unavoidable and unpredictable risk coming to fruition. And we never counter-weigh what the opportunity costs would have been not to sign a player.

Certainly a number of "busts" can fall under the umbrella of opportunity cost of not signing the player. Lowell is one. What were the RS options after the 2007 season. Keith Foulke? Sure he was never the same after pitching so much in the 2004 post season but were the options after the 2003 season and just what would you pay for the first WS title in 86 years if you some how could have magically predicted the total RS career results for Foulke. Drew is another. Just who was going to play RF in 2007, Adam Stern? Trot Nixon?

Then there are injuries. Whether its the RS with Clement or the NYY with Pavano just how do you avoid that short of not signing FA and running a $37M payroll? There is a huge element of luck to all of this.

Signing a FA is sort of like buying livestock at the auction. When a farmer was asked how do you choose your hogs at auction he replied, "I check their teeth, their hoofs, their build and overall health. Then I put them in the back of the truck and hope his doesn't die before I get back to the ranch."