Murderer's Row?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Murderer's Row?

In Response to Re: Murderer's Row?:
    In Response to Re: Murderer's Row? : Which Hernandez was that? Seattle's Felix Hernandez limited the Red Sox to two runs over seven innings, striking out 10, as the Red Sox narrowly escaped a sweep at Fenway Park: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS201105010.shtml
    Posted by hill55

To be honest I don't remember the exact stats I know we beat him.  We seem to struggle more against young pitchers we've never seen more than anything and much of that good pitching came at the beginning of the year when the Sox were really struggling.  I don't know if I would go as far as calling them the next "Murderer's Row" but they are hands down the most offensivey gifted team right now......IMHO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I just love the term Murderer's Row, and I can't help myself from dragging it out. The thing is Murderer's Row wasn't a term that was coined for the '27 Yanks. I believe it was originally used to describe a neighborhood in the 5 points in NYC. However, it's a very poetic turn and I'm a sucker for poetry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

carnie it would be interesting to see a post on the 1978 vs 2011 team, a fantasy game if you will.  Who would win?  Anyhow this team is crushing the ball - Ortiz was saved by the acquisition of AGon.

Don't forget how Ortiz nearly fell apart when Manny was traded, he was mentally devastated.  Its amazing to think it was not his ability that was shot for more than a year but his CONFIDENCE.

Great winning streak - now if only the Yankees would start losing again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Great winning streak - now if only the Yankees would start losing again.
    Posted by BurritoT
    They will in August Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Murderer's Row? : To be honest I don't remember the exact stats I know we beat him.  We seem to struggle more against young pitchers we've never seen more than anything and much of that good pitching came at the beginning of the year when the Sox were really struggling.  I don't know if I would go as far as calling them the next "Murderer's Row" but they are hands down the most offensivey gifted team right now......IMHO
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

To be precise, the Red Sox beat Seattle reliever Jamey Wright after Ichiro lost a fly ball in the sun.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Murderer's Row?:
    The 1927 Yankees are the gold standard of offense in MLB. The 1978 Red Sox are still the greatest offensive team in Red Sox history. I don't think I've seen another Red Sox team with the offensive capability of this one though, since 1978. This team is an offensive machine. And the pitching is much better than the 1978 team which had Eckersley, Stanley, Tiant, Lee, Campbell and not much else. We also didn't have any speed in '78. Overall I think this year's team might be the best Red Sox team in my lifetime.
    Posted by carnie

The 78 Red Sox were IMO the best Sox team in my lifetime, but the best hitting Red Sox team was the 77 Red Sox. And 03 was right behind them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

The 1950 Red Sox were by far the best offensive team in the history of the franchise scoring 1027 runs in 154 games.  03 and 04 are second and third with 961 and 954 in 162 games.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/#franchise_years::11 1978 is 31'st.  I thought it would be higher too.  -Daf.
    Posted by DaffyDan

I was just about to post that Dan. But what I said was in my lifetime. My Dad always talked about this team as the most entertaining Sox team in his lifetime and Williams went down in June I think and was out for the rest of the year. They ended up 5 or 6 games behind the Yanks in third place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 5/15/2011
    Last: 6/11/2011
    Good evening to my good friend Carnie. Thanks for bringing back great memories of 1978.

1978 Boston Red Sox

Your Red Sox led my Yankees by 14½ games in July but my Yankees pulled even Sept. 10 with a four-game sweep known as the Boston Massacre. The teams played evenly over the last three weeks and met for a one-game playoff in Boston. Bucky Dent's three-run homer in the seventh powered the Yankees past the Sox to win 5-4.

Good morning, Frankie,

The rivalry is full of these remarkable moments.  I prefer to recall the ALCS in2004.   Your NYucks had a 3-0 game lead and had just spanked our Sox really well in game three.  Not only that but ya had a lead in game four looking for a sweep.

Oooooops.

Dave Roberts stole second and the rest is the greatest comeback in baseball playoffs.  Or the greatest choke.

And 86 years of agony ended shortly thereafter.

Woohooo

Always love the memories!!!

Thanks Frankie

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Yankee fans always love to dust off '78 and the 14 1/2 game collapse.  The Yankees had 2 months to make up that gap.  Impressive, yes, but the Red Sox had to win every single game after falling behind 0-3 in 2004, an accomplishment never before seen in the long history of the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Murderer's Row? : Please double-check my math, but since the start of the 2007 season my calculations show that Red Sox hitters have averaged 5.35 runs a game in 311 games against AL East opponents, 5.22 runs a game in 159 games against AL Central opponents and 4.94 runs a game in 167 games against AL West opponents: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2011-schedule-scores.shtml
    Posted by hill55

I trust UR math Hill.
    Those numbers don't exactly state that the A.L. East has weak pitching. The disparity should be far greater.
    What they tell me is that if A.L. East line-ups saw the other teams (in other divisions) as often, the numbers would likely be higher against their respective pitching. Familiarity is inhibited by the unbalanced schedule.

The real test is seeing how A.L. East pitching fares against other divisional teams over time...and draw a comparison. It has to be broken down by venue, as the spacious parks have a tendency to heavily influence ERA/batting.

This is why team ERA/BA is so deceptive. How would Seattle's pitchers fare pitching half their games in Fenway? No way of telling based on short samples every year.
    At the same time, batting averages would be much greater overall in the fens as compared to Safeco.  Beltre is as prime example.

I think if Wake, a flyball pitcher, pitched in Safeco his entire career, you'd see some very intriguing numbers. I'm not going by his 3.20 ERA  0-3 mark over just 39 frames. I'm talking about half his games living out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Murderer's Row? : I trust UR math Hill . Those numbers don't exactly state that the A.L. East has weak pitching. The disparity should be far greater. What they tell me is that if A.L. East line-ups saw the other teams (in other divisions) as often, the numbers would likely be higher against their respective pitching. Familiarity is inhibited by the unbalanced schedule. The real test is seeing how A.L. East pitching fares against other divisional teams over time...and draw a comparison. It has to be broken down by venue, as the spacious parks have a tendency to heavily influence ERA/batting. This is why team ERA/BA is so deceptive. How would Seattle's pitchers fare pitching half their games in Fenway? No way of telling based on short samples every year. At the same time, batting averages would be much greater overall in the fens as compared to Safeco.  Beltre is as prime example. I think if Wake, a flyball pitcher, pitched in Safeco his entire career, you'd see some very intriguing numbers. I'm not going by his 3.20 ERA  0-3 mark over just 39 frames. I'm talking about half his games living out there.
    Posted by harness

3 of the 4 ballparks in the West are better pitchers' parks (Seattle, Oakland, and
     Anaheim), while Texas has had a better staff this year and last to compensate a little for their hitter friendly stadium. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Texas is in the western division, but they aren't geographically.
    Their ballpark, and the atmospheric conditions, reflect their geography.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Texas is in the western division , but they aren't geographically. Their ballpark, and the atmospheric conditions, reflect their geography.
    Posted by harness

Actually, both Texas teams are somewhat geographically isolated vis a vis the rest of baseball, and everybody in the west is pretty spread out anyway.  I believe Seattle clocks far more road miles than anybody else given their geography.  There's a lot more long plane rides for Mariners' players.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Texas is in the western division , but they aren't geographically. Their ballpark, and the atmospheric conditions, reflect their geography.
    Posted by harness

The Rangers play in Arlington, Texas, which in fact is closer to Boston (1,560 miles) than it is to Seattle (1,660 miles).

The Mariners' closest opponent (the Oakland A's) is 672 miles away, farther than the Red Sox are from nine teams: the Blue Jays, Yankees, Orioles, Nationals, Phillies, Mets, Pirates, Indians and Tigers.

Many have speculated that the Mariners' travel schedule deters free agents from coming to Seattle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some tidbits:

The '77 Sox got 30+ Hrs from the 3-7 slots, 18 from the 2 slot and 22 from the 8th slot after getting no more than 24 from any slot the year before!

'03: No slot had less than 14 HRs, 3 through 9 had 21+ HRs, and all slots had more than 36 DBLs and 55 extra base hits.

Extra base hits by slot in 2003:
    1) 55 (almost all Damon)
    2) 71 (Walker with some Mueller)
    3) 83 (almost all Nomar)
    4) 80 (almost all Manny)
    5) 93 (about 4:3 with Papi:Millar)
    6) 62 (3/7 Millar and the rest a mix of Nixon, Hillenbrand, Papi, Mueller...)
    7) 82 (1/3 Nixon, then Mueller, Vtek, Hillenbrand...)
    8) 61 (Mueller-147, Giambi-109, Vtek-99, Nixon-95, Mirabelli 48...) 
    9) 62 (VTek-290, Mirabelli-103, Damian Jackson-100, Kapler-66,...)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In 2004:

Every slot had 84+ RBIs and the 1 through 8 slots had 19+ HRS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Some tidbits: The '77 Sox got 30+ Hrs from the 3-7 slots, 18 from the 2 slot and 22 from the 8th slot after getting no more than 24 from any slot the year before! '03: No slot had less than 14 HRs, 3 through 9 had 21+ HRs, and all slots had more than 36 DBLs and 55 extra base hits. Extra base hits by slot in 2003: 1) 55 (almost all Damon) 2) 71 (Walker with some Mueller) 3) 83 (almost all Nomar) 4) 80 (almost all Manny) 5) 93 (about 4:3 with Papi:Millar) 6) 62 (3/7 Millar and the rest a mix of Nixon, Hillenbrand, Papi, Mueller...) 7) 82 (1/3 Nixon, then Mueller, Vtek, Hillenbrand...) 8) 61 (Mueller-147, Giambi-109, Vtek-99, Nixon-95, Mirabelli 48...)  9) 62 (VTek-290, Mirabelli-103, Damian Jackson-100, Kapler-66,...)
    Posted by moonslav59

77 didn't have that higher stadium wall behind home plate to cut down on some of the winds carrying more Bucky Dent type HRs over the Monstah.  Just ask Boggs. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

What I do see coming back is that ability to pummel teams with their lineup for more games like Saturday.  This will allow them to better schedule work and conserve the staff with more low stress innings.  This has been missing for the last couple of years except against the NL and some weak teams.  I think back to that run they had in late August/early September of 04 where they kicked everybody's butt.  They've been looking like that this past week. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Murderer's Row? : The Rangers play in Arlington, Texas, which in fact is closer to Boston (1,560 miles) than it is to Seattle (1,660 miles). The Mariners' closest opponent (the Oakland A's) is 672 miles away, farther than the Red Sox are from nine teams: the Blue Jays, Yankees, Orioles, Nationals, Phillies, Mets, Pirates, Indians and Tigers. Many have speculated that the Mariners' travel schedule deters free agents from coming to Seattle.
    Posted by hill55

Might be wiser to put a western NL team in the A.L. West and place the Rangers in the AL central. Then move the Royals to the N.L. West, where they might be competitive sooner than later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should move to Hawaii: then they won't care if they lose.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You wouldn't be putting my bros down for sparking up some buds would you moon?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They should move to Hawaii: then they won't care if they lose.
    Posted by moonslav59

The Royals, from what I understand, have atomic talent on the farm.
    Remember, the Rays/Reds were laughed at once...

Sections
Shortcuts