Re: Must trade Lackey next year

the only good news from this game is lackey will miss his next start

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who's starting? Wally?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chick92. Show chick92's posts

couldnt be any worse

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

has anyone with such a huge contract, been that bad?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

John Lackey....where do I start....I've already commented enough about him, and out of deference to harness, I'm not going to jump on this trainwreck anymore. He is what he is....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Before last night.

Lackey’s ERA+ of 68 ranks as the 65th worst rate compiled by a pitcher with at least 140 innings since 1901.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Take it out of Theo's pay and send the two to the Cubs. Regardless of whether this team plays well in post season, Theo needs to be fired for long term value reasons.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Must trade Lackey next year:
    Who's starting? Wally?
    Posted by moonslav59

I think if your seriously going to try and trade lackey, First gotta eat a chunck of it and throw in a prospect or a MLB ready player to possibly get ANY decent return back..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Lackey was a bad signing but he's under contract through 2014.The only hope is to peddle him for a player in a similar situation and big contract and hope a change of scenery will do whoever the Sox get some good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from khuberpt. Show khuberpt's posts

some good ideas.  i think crawford will come around.  anything is better than lackey now, or earlier in the  year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

and  who wants Lackey ?

He might be a standout in the NL    but have not seen   much of him  winning "big" in the AL..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

and  who wants Lackey ? He might be a standout in the NL    but have not seen   much of him  winning "big" in the AL..
    Posted by jackyldo

If the Sox had Tampa's staff we woud be close to unbeatable.  Our team needs to find another quality starter or two next season to go along with Jon, Josh and Clay.  We also need a stronger pen.  The one guy I won't get down on just yet is CC, until he plays another year or so in Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

These are just some salary dump ideas. I am not saying I am for any of these, but am just presented them as possible ways to deal Lackey (and others)...

Lackey, Dice-K, and Jenks
    for 
    Zambano and Soriano
    The money is nearly identical.
    Maybe a change of scenery will turn things around. 

OR

Crawford ($122M/6)
    Lackey     ($46M/3)
    Total: $148M for 9 years total
    for
    JSantana ($55M/2 counting buyout)
    Jason Bay ($39M/2 counting buyout)
    Total: $94M for 4 years total
    The Mets would basically be paying Crawford $54M for 6 years, but with no Santana

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Nice idea...But no GM in his right mind is going to want Lackey. A bad contract and a bad pitcher.
    Posted by jrh1194

Agree with you.  It would be great to trade Lackey, but who would want him.  He once was a good pitcher, but certainly hasn't been  reliable lately. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

These are just some salary dump ideas. I am not saying I am for any of these, but am just presented them as possible ways to deal Lackey (and others)...

Lackey, Dice-K, and Jenks
    for 
    Zambano and Soriano
    The money is nearly identical.
    Maybe a change of scenery will turn things around. 

OR

Crawford ($122M/6)
    Lackey     ($46M/3)
    Total: $148M for 9 years total
    for
    JSantana ($55M/2 counting buyout)
    Jason Bay ($39M/2 counting buyout)
    Total: $94M for 4 years total
    The Mets would basically be paying Crawford $54M for 6 years, but with no Santana

OR 

Lackey ($46M/3)
    Crawford ($122M/6)
    for
    Vernon Wells ($74M/3)
    D. Haren ($16M/1 counting buyout)
    The Angels wanted CC last winter...

OR

Lackey ($46M/3)
    Dice-K  ($10M/1)
    Jenks   ($6M/1)
    Jed Lowrie (arb 1 or 3)
    Total: $62M
    for
    Billingsley ($35M/3 incl. buyout)
    Ted Lily      ($25M/2)
    Juan Uribe ($16M/2 incl. buyout)
    Total: $66M
    LA wants to save cash, maybe they'd do the deal without Jenks and through in someone like Bowden or Doubront

OR

Peavy $21M/1 incl buyout
    Rios     $39M/3 incl buyout
    for
    Lackey $46M/3
    Dice-K  $10M/1

Just some ideas. Yes, other ideas could include throwing in prospects to sweeten the salary part of the deals.

CWS save $4M

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't like any of those... except maybe Bay/Santana

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

These are just some salary dump ideas. I am not saying I am for any of these, but am just presented them as possible ways to deal Lackey (and others)... Lackey, Dice-K, and Jenks for  Zambano and Soriano The money is nearly identical. Maybe a change of scenery will turn things around.  OR Crawford ($122M/6) Lackey     ($46M/3) Total: $148M for 9 years total for JSantana ($55M/2 counting buyout) Jason Bay ($39M/2 counting buyout) Total: $94M for 4 years total The Mets would basically be paying Crawford $54M for 6 years, but with no Santana OR  Lackey ($46M/3) Crawford ($122M/6) for Vernon Wells ($74M/3) D. Haren ($16M/1 counting buyout) The Angels wanted CC last winter... OR Lackey ($46M/3) Dice-K  ($10M/1) Jenks   ($6M/1) Jed Lowrie (arb 1 or 3) Total: $62M for Billingsley ($35M/3 incl. buyout) Ted Lily      ($25M/2) Juan Uribe ($16M/2 incl. buyout) Total: $66M LA wants to save cash, maybe they'd do the deal without Jenks and through in someone like Bowden or Doubront OR Peavy $21M/1 incl buyout Rios     $39M/3 incl buyout for Lackey $46M/3 Dice-K  $10M/1 Just some ideas. Yes, other ideas could include throwing in prospects to sweeten the salary part of the deals. CWS save $4M ..
    Posted by moonslav59

I like the idea of trading Lackey in a deal, but haven't given up on Crawford yet.
    I was really excited when the Red Sox signed him and won't give up on him.  He is just having a bad season.  Trading Crawford for Bay would be a wash.  Jason Bay was also a great player when he was with the Red Sox but has been struggling lately  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

CC is and will be better than JBay, but the money is far from a "wash". That's a plus of that part of the deal. The biggest plaus is getting Santana. I'd throw in some kids as well, like Lowrie and Douby.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

sure CC is better but we still need a RF too. Bay in lf, and go get a big bat for rf.

and I like the years... Bay for only 2 lets us get a big lf bat at that time. win win.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

sure CC is better but we still need a RF too. Bay in lf, and go get a big bat for rf. and I like the years... Bay for only 2 lets us get a big lf bat at that time. win win.
    Posted by BurritoT

My solution for RF is Bautists.  I know that is only a dream, but imagine if we had his type of offensive production in RF this year.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Must trade Lackey next year : I like the idea of trading Lackey in a deal, but haven't given up on Crawford yet. I was really excited when the Red Sox signed him and won't give up on him.  He is just having a bad season.  Trading Crawford for Bay would be a wash.  Jason Bay was also a great player when he was with the Red Sox but has been struggling lately  
    Posted by susan250

I think Lackeys best bet is either pitching for an NL team where very few hitters know him that well, or back in the West, away from the AL East.  Guys like Zito and Lilly did pretty well in the AL before being traded to NL clubs so maybe a swap back may do them some good.  I also thnk a guy like Garza would give us much more effective games than Lackey.  Garza was tough in the big games and during pennent races.  Thats the kind of motivated starter we need.  One that can handle the pressure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

More realistic choices would be:
    FAs:
    Beltran, Cuddyer, Crisp, DeJesus, Berkman, Sizemore, Willingham.
    Trades:
    Quentin and who knows who else.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Sizemore still racks up doubles and gets on base but he continues to have more injuries than Drew... and he does not run anymore. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Right now I'd trade Lackey for 3 stained,irregular Rally Monkey T-Shirts.
    But,as long as he wears a Red Sox uni,I'm going to hope he turns it around and does well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sizemore still racks up doubles and gets on base but he continues to have more injuries than Drew... and he does not run anymore. 
    Posted by BurritoT

A perfect fit then, right?

Wink

Sections
Shortcuts