MVP - Anyone still arguing against Verlander?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrax. Show mtrax's posts

Re: MVP - Anyone still arguing against Verlander?

Verlander is having a great year but not an MVP type year for a pitcher.
    If Pedro never won the MVP, Verlander shouldn't this year.

Here's Pedro's 2000 stats compared to the #2 pitcher in the AL.
    ERA 2.07, #2 3.44
    Wins 23, #2 18
    WHIP .923, #2 1.226
    K/9 13.21, #2 8.44
    K 313, #2 200
    K:BB 8.46, #2 3.40
    HR:9IP .380, #2 .708

Also, in 1999 Pedro had a WHIP of .737 and the #2 pitcher had a WHIP of 1.187. Pedro had an ERA of 1.74 and the #2 pitcher had a 3.70 ERA.

Those were all-time great seasons by a pitcher. Verlander is not having an all-time great season for a pitcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ykfan. Show ykfan's posts

Lackey=Da Yankees MVP!!! Go lackey, yay keep it up, man, woooooo!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Verlander should definitely be in the running for MVP. And the reasons given in this thread are way better than anything I've said about it.

My point has always been Cy Young = Best pitcher. MVP = Most Valuable Player to a team. Two different animals. MVP should include all players. As is pointed out in this thread, he may not pitch every game, but he also affects other games by saving his bullpen.

If anyone wants to argue that Cy Young is already in place for pitchers, they also should consider that Gold Gloves are for position players. That should rule them out as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: MVP - Anyone still arguing against Verlander?:
    [QUOTE]Verlander should definitely be in the running for MVP. And the reasons given in this thread are way better than anything I've said about it. My point has always been Cy Young = Best pitcher. MVP = Most Valuable Player to a team. Two different animals. MVP should include all players. As is pointed out in this thread, he may not pitch every game, but he also affects other games by saving his bullpen. If anyone wants to argue that Cy Young is already in place for pitchers, they also should consider that Gold Gloves are for position players. That should rule them out as well.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

If anyone wants to argue that Cy Young is already in place for pitchers, they also should consider that Gold Gloves are for position players. That should rule them out as well

LOL

it's hard to tell with ___

but lets hope ____ ment silver slugger awards

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think it's a no-brainer....take Verlander away from Detroit and I think they'd have been buried months ago.  In contrast, take the excellent Buchholz away from the Sox and, despite the recent slump, they have coped.  Pedro '99 reminds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Tigers have   some  great bats       but are  10 out  without Verlander.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

for that matter   where  would we be   (SOX) if Beckett or  Lackey had  22  wins  right now   about  10 games ahead..

MVP and CY  for Verlander.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: MVP - Anyone still arguing against Verlander?:
    Verlander is having a great year but not an MVP type year for a pitcher. If Pedro never won the MVP, Verlander shouldn't this year. Here's Pedro's 2000 stats compared to the #2 pitcher in the AL. ERA 2.07, #2 3.44 Wins 23, #2 18 WHIP .923, #2 1.226 K/9 13.21, #2 8.44 K 313, #2 200 K:BB 8.46, #2 3.40 HR:9IP .380, #2 .708 Also, in 1999 Pedro had a WHIP of .737 and the #2 pitcher had a WHIP of 1.187. Pedro had an ERA of 1.74 and the #2 pitcher had a 3.70 ERA. Those were all-time great seasons by a pitcher. Verlander is not having an all-time great season for a pitcher.
    Posted by mtrax

Pedro, to me, was one of the biggest injustices in sports award history. Two NY scribes cost him that award with pettiness. He was simply dominant across the board, and two slugs justified leaving him totally off the ballot.

That's the same reasoning as the moronic BBWAA writers not voting for someone because "If Babe Ruth didn't get 100%, NOBODY DESERVES IT!" Seriously, get over yourselves. If Pedro didn't win it, then no pitcher ever deserves to? Can everyone not see how petty and immature that thinking is? So one injustice should lead to future injustices...I think Palestinians and Israelis have taken a page from that book of reasoning.

Let's take it to the extreme: Person A's father dies when he was 3, so NOBODY should have a father because he was the best daddy ever!

C'mon.

Sections
Shortcuts