My $.02 Opinion on what helped to turn game to help Napoli hit HR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

My $.02 Opinion on what helped to turn game to help Napoli hit HR

I have not read anywhere what I think helped Verlander to weaken. In the 6th he was already at about 100 pitches/he ended with 120. Ellsbury singled and it was 0-0 and Verlander made at least, I'm guessing, 20 pitches to 1st to keep him close. I think that those tosses which had to be accurate added to his pitch count fatigue.

Lackey is a fighter like Peavy. Loved it when he was being removed and he said "You've got to be f--king kidding me". At the time I felt he had 2 outs and no hard hit balls in that inning and he should have pitched to Avila whom he owned.

We are batting .133 and at 90 at bats have 43 strike outs, almost 50%. They are not doing much better hitting about .225.  Napoli had 6 at bats & all strike outs before his HR.  But their guy who walks on water, Cabrera, was 0-4 and the most critical out was with men on 1st & 3rd and he struck out. All games have been close including Tampa except for the 1st, 12-2, so 1-2 runs are critical in this series & I would advise our speedies, Ells, Vic, Pedey and even Nava, Middy, drew & Gomes to think about laying down bunts toward Cabrera who is very immobile & getting on and stealing and also helping their pitcher lose concentration.

Greedy perhaps but I'm looking for a sweep in Detroit and having the next game in Fenway be in the World Series.

Any Thoughts ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: My $.02 Opinion on what helped to turn game to help Napoli hit HR

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

I have not read anywhere what I think helped Verlander to weaken. In the 6th he was already at about 100 pitches/he ended with 120. Ellsbury singled and it was 0-0 and Verlander made at least, I'm guessing, 20 pitches to 1st to keep him close. I think that those tosses which had to be accurate added to his pitch count fatigue.

Lackey is a fighter like Peavy. Loved it when he was being removed and he said "You've got to be f--king kidding me". At the time I felt he had 2 outs and no hard hit balls in that inning and he should have pitched to Avila whom he owned.

We are batting .133 and at 90 at bats have 43 strike outs, almost 50%. They are not doing much better hitting about .225.  Napoli had 6 at bats & all strike outs before his HR.  But their guy who walks on water, Cabrera, was 0-4 and the most critical out was with men on 1st & 3rd and he struck out. All games have been close including Tampa except for the 1st, 12-2, so 1-2 runs are critical in this series & I would advise our speedies, Ells, Vic, Pedey and even Nava, Middy, drew & Gomes to think about laying down bunts toward Cabrera who is very immobile & getting on and stealing and also helping their pitcher lose concentration.

Greedy perhaps but I'm looking for a sweep in Detroit and having the next game in Fenway be in the World Series.

Any Thoughts ?

Agreed on all points.

When a pitcher dominates, its the little things that wear him down just enough, like Ellsbury in the 6th.  This club has been Masters of The Little Things all year.

On the second point, I tip my hat to the Tigs starting pitching.  Completely awesome.  But, Sox pitching even awesomer.  

And, its not greed to want to wrap it up in Motown.  A great opportunity as Peavy is definitely the better pitcher tonight, and, all respect due, I have trouble believing Anibal Sanchez can twirl another absolute gem like game 1.  Advantage Sox starters these next two days.  Not so if the series shifts back to Boston ... not that it matters Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought Lackey said, "You're sh__ing me!"

I love his drive and competitiveness, but it was borderline showing up Farrell.

It used to bother me- all the deomostrative antics on the mound, but when I read that his teammates accept it and are okay with it, I changed my opinion about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It used to bother me- all the deomostrative antics on the mound, but when I read that his teammates accept it and are okay with it, I changed my opinion about it.

Same here Moon.  I guess it really is just an overactive competitive juice gland, not a selfish showing up of teammates and managers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Any Thoughts ?

I am not sure Verlander really weakened due to anything we did besides striking out a lot-which requires more pitches to do usually than a pitcher who pitches to contact and gets outs. Even his pitch to Napoli was a high 95 mph fastball. He throws that pitch 100 times and Napoli probably makes an out 99 of those times. I think we just got lucky that Napoli connected. I certainly do not want to face Verlander again-or Scherzer-so beating Fister and Sanchez is important. I think its possible, if unlikely, that we could finish this in five. Regardless, I would like to win at least ONE more in Detroit so we only have to beat Scherzer OR Verlander in Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Frankly, I think Lackey was right. He should have been allowed to finish the inning. No one was hitting the ball hard against him, and had Breslow been able to enter the 8th at the beginning of the inning he might have been able to finish it unscathed more easily. That would have left Koji for just three outs in the ninth, and no Taz needed. Does anyone here really trust Tazawa nowadays? I don't. Too many HRs allowed, though he has improved lately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't really agree Verlander was that tired in the 7th, not when he also pitched the 8th.

I think what happened with Napoli is he simply threw the wrong pitch, as much Avila's fault as his.  It was a 3-2 count, and it is now apparent Napoli was counting on a fastball, which he actually can hit now and then. A slider or curve anywhere near the strike zone would have had him out, especially coming from a fireballer like Verlander. 

Lackey probably should have finished the 7th, but right now it's kind of hard for me to criticize anything Farrell has done with the bullpen because they have been perfect.  Don't forget the clincher in Tampa when he took Peavy out after 74 pitches and giving up just 1 run.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Frankly, I think Lackey was right. He should have been allowed to finish the inning. No one was hitting the ball hard against him, and had Breslow been able to enter the 8th at the beginning of the inning he might have been able to finish it unscathed more easily. That would have left Koji for just three outs in the ninth, and no Taz needed. Does anyone here really trust Tazawa nowadays? I don't. Too many HRs allowed, though he has improved lately.

pumpsie, Taz has given up 9 homers this year, but for whatever inexplicable reason, 6 of them were against Toronto.  So he's avoided it pretty much adainst everyone else.  He has been hit somewhat hard in September, which gives me pause.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I don't really agree Verlander was that tired in the 7th, not when he also pitched the 8th.

I think what happened with Napoli is he simply threw the wrong pitch, as much Avila's fault as his.  It was a 3-2 count, and it is now apparent Napoli was counting on a fastball, which he actually can hit now and then. A slider or curve anywhere near the strike zone would have had him out, especially coming from a fireballer like Verlander. 

Lackey probably should have finished the 7th, but right now it's kind of hard for me to criticize anything Farrell has done with the bullpen because they have been perfect.  Don't forget the clincher in Tampa when he took Peavy out after 74 pitches and giving up just 1 run.   

No, I wouldn't say Verlander was tired at all, physically.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Verlander made one mistake. Our pitching staff, made zero.

That's all it took.

But, if you run a guy's pitch count up, he's liable to make a mistake eventually.

Scott Kazmir , when he was with Tampa BAY, USED TO TRY AND STRIKE EVERYONE OUT.

I was loving it when Verlander had the 7 or 8 strikeouts in a row, because I knew he would never make it the whole way. His pitch count climbing, even thegreat Verlander will eventually be lifted.

Unlike Boston, the Detroit pitching weakens significantly when they turn to their bullpen. We lose very little when Breslow, Tazawa and Uehara entre the game. These guys are as good as our starters ( they just don't have the stamina to be stretched out for more than two innings. Detroit's bullpen is about 5 notches below their starters, there is a huge difference in talent and ability.

This has been the Red Sox strategy against Detroit and it is brilliant. The bullpen is the one area where they are vastly inferior to Boston.

Find a team's weakness and exploit it. This works is chess, soccer, football, poker.....in fact just about any type of sport or game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

He was also the first one up to congratulate Breslow.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Verlander made one mistake. Our pitching staff, made zero.

That's all it took.

But, if you run a guy's pitch count up, he's liable to make a mistake eventually.

Scott Kazmir , when he was with Tampa BAY, USED TO TRY AND STRIKE EVERYONE OUT.

I was loving it when Verlander had the 7 or 8 strikeouts in a row, because I knew he would never make it the whole way. His pitch count climbing, even thegreat Verlander will eventually be lifted.

Unlike Boston, the Detroit pitching weakens significantly when they turn to their bullpen. We lose very little when Breslow, Tazawa and Uehara entre the game. These guys are as good as our starters ( they just don't have the stamina to be stretched out for more than two innings. Detroit's bullpen is about 5 notches below their starters, there is a huge difference in talent and ability.

This has been the Red Sox strategy against Detroit and it is brilliant. The bullpen is the one area where they are vastly inferior to Boston.

Find a team's weakness and exploit it. This works is chess, soccer, football, poker.....in fact just about any type of sport or game.

zillagod, a little over the top, but I think spot on.  Not exactly brilliant to try to get to the bullpen, but definitely the right strategy.  Yes, Verlander struck out a lot of guys, but he also went 8 innings.  On top of which, Lester, Lackey, and the bullpen have been terrific. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Since Taz has had a decent amount of rest his FB is back up to 95, and even touching 96MPH with some movement. Im starting to feel better about him being out there in pressure situations. I though lack should have finished out the inning. Avila was 0-9 against him.

Either way, the Sox are doing all the small things to get the W against some of the best pitchers in MLB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

More importantly Moon, Farrell is okay with it. As he says "none of my starters ever want to come out of the game" and that's what makes them gamers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

More importantly Moon, Farrell is okay with it. As he says "none of my starters ever want to come out of the game" and that's what makes them gamers.

I don't trust players that are okay with coming out.

IRT to the PC, it might've helped.  I was wondering if that was why Gomes got the start.  He doesn't hit Verlander, but he's worked out a few walks against him.  Then I noticed a rather long first AB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Any Thoughts ?

There was a baseball video game I used to play in my younger days.  I don't remember the name of it but we played it at The Dream Machine in the mall.  The pitcher would tire during the game as we threw more pitches.  Now, I don't know if it was a glitch in the game or just the console there, but whenever you had your pitcher throw to first he would lose like 10% of his strenghth!  Throw to first a few times and he was just about gassed.  Hadn't thought about that in a long time. 

Sections
Shortcuts