My 2012 Positional Sox Projections

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections

In Response to Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections : Well Moon.. you almost had like 4.5
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I was closer to having zero than 5.
    AGon .410
    Youk  .400
    Papi   .398
    Pedey .395
    Ells     .380

(I think I might have Papi a bit too high on 2nd thought.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections : I was closer to having zero than 5. AGon .410 Youk  .400 Papi   .398 Pedey .395 Ells     .380 (I think I might have Papi a bit too high on 2nd thought.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Amazing how you do the math...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections : Amazing how you do the math...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty good with percentages and ratios, but had trouble with Calculus in College.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections : I'm pretty good with percentages and ratios, but had trouble with Calculus in College.

You know... Calculus is very important math course... There should be online course you can take... BTW, I finished AP Calculus in high school.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My problem was I didn't take Calculus in HS, and so when I got to college, I was in a class where everyone had alreadfy taken it in HS. They did a 2 week review and I was lost right out of the gate. I ended up with a C. but had to work my you know what off to barely get that! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

k

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I was not in favor of sending Lavarnway to the PawSox but I think he should work out in the outfield for a few weeks after ST and be our RH DH and emergency OF, pinch hitter. This is not going to make Papi very happy but this kid has too much talent to sit or be at the minor league level much longer.
    I like the idea of having a third catcher, a threat as a PH, a RH DH to give Ortiz a blow against lefthanders and an emergency OF'der.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I was not in favor of sending Lavarnway to the PawSox but I think he should work out in the outfield for a few weeks after ST and be our RH DH and emergency OF, pinch hitter. This is not going to make Papi very happy but this kid has too much talent to sit or be at the minor league level much longer. I like the idea of having a third catcher, a threat as a PH, a RH DH to give Ortiz a blow against lefthanders and an emergency OF'der.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Lava needs to play everyday. I wish it was instead of Salty, but I am near along in that opinion. That being said, if Lava is to make this team as a super sub (C/DH/1B/OF???) then it can only happen one way:

Iggy has to be the FT SS, so Aviles can be the utility IF'er and 5th OF'er, not DMac. (Essentially, Lava takes DMac's slot on the roster, but Aviles takes DMac's positions.)

I don't see Bobby platooning Papi at DH, but he may "rest" him more than Tito did and choose tough lefties for those days.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections : Lava needs to play everyday. I wish it was instead of Salty, but I am near along in that opinion. That being said, if Lava is to make this team as a super sub (C/DH/1B/OF???) then it can only happen one way: Iggy has to be the FT SS, so Aviles can be the utility IF'er and 5th OF'er,  not DMac. (Essentially, Lava takes DMac's slot on the roster, but Aviles takes DMac's positions.) I don't see Bobby platooning Papi at DH, but he may "rest" him more than Tito did and choose tough lefties for those days.

I dont think you are alone in that position.  I happen to think that D at catcher is overrated.  Napoli had to hit 30 homeruns in a freakin month to crack the lineup.  If you are bad (but not horrendous) at catcher and you can hit like Lava: you should play.

VMART WAR is better than any elite defensive C.  Your catchers dont have to call the games.  You can do it from the dugout. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections : Lava needs to play everyday. I wish it was instead of Salty, but I am near along in that opinion. That being said, if Lava is to make this team as a super sub (C/DH/1B/OF???) then it can only happen one way: Iggy has to be the FT SS, so Aviles can be the utility IF'er and 5th OF'er,  not DMac. (Essentially, Lava takes DMac's slot on the roster, but Aviles takes DMac's positions.) I don't see Bobby platooning Papi at DH, but he may "rest" him more than Tito did and choose tough lefties for those days.

I don't know.  I imagine a huge reason that the Sox were willing to fly high above probable market rate for David's services is that he hit lefties to the tune of .989 OPS (WOW, 50 points higher than vs. righties).  So, the risk is that 2011 was an aberration from his norm.  But, the bet is that Papi's swing was greatly imroved from recent years before and that he is going to mash both lefties and righties this year.  I doubt management was willing to fork over 12-16 mil for a DHthat needed some "rest" days.  I think David will be in there most nights.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My 2012 Positional Sox Projections : I don't know.  I imagine a huge reason that the Sox were willing to fly high above probable market rate for David's services is that he hit lefties to the tune of .989 OPS (WOW, 50 points higher than vs. righties).  So, the risk is that 2011 was an aberration from his norm.  But, the bet is that Papi's swing was greatly imroved from recent years before and that he is going to mash both lefties and righties this year.  I doubt management was willing to fork over 12-16 mil for a DHthat needed some "rest" days.  I think David will be in there most nights.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Good points, but teh Sox were also wiilling to let him walk. They may have been unpleasantly surprised they had to go to arb. I admit, I was very surprised by Papi's numbers vs LHPs after having had a steep decline for 3 years straight. We know he will likely sit all but maybe 1 or 2 games at NL parks, and may get a few more "rest days" here and there. Those should certainly be planned around lefties he traditionally struggles against, and I expect Bobby V to be all over these situations. I don't expect much more "rest" than last year, so I agree with your position.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Ortiz was quoted as saying that his improved numbers against LH pitching came from watching how AGon hit lefthanders. My take is the new Papi has made a number of age related adjustments at the plate and if healthy will continue to put up good numbers. The only problem I noticed last year was that he reverted to the old Papi in late inning walk off situations and tried to hit HR’s. One thing that should be in David’s favor this year is better hitting behind him in the batting order (I hope)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

For the apes, read and reread Drewiski's comment, supra.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I dont think you are alone in that position.  I happen to think that D at catcher is overrated.  Napoli had to hit 30 homeruns in a freakin month to crack the lineup.  If you are bad (but not horrendous) at catcher and you can hit like Lava: you should play.

Thanks for the support. Too many posters look at CS% as the only catcher defensive value.

VMART WAR is better than any elite defensive C.  Your catchers dont have to call the games.  You can do it from the dugout. 

I just wonder why he hit so much better than VTek, but the Sox won more with the weaker hitting catcher even when matched up with each individual pitcher one by one. I'm not sure if we can call a catcher's relationship with the pitchers "defense", but it is real and important.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I ask the tough questions here, tell us Mr. moon what odd drink were you drinking last winter when you went to bat for Lowrie, Wake, Tek, and Tito?  

BTW they are all gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The drink of reality (although Tito does not belong on that list).

VTek was our back-up catcher. We went 42-22 in his starts. He caught more innings than all but 1 back-up catcher in MLB. He did better than I projected and ended up with a higher OPS than 14 starting MLB catchers... once again... as our back-up...not starter.

Wake started the season as our 6 or 7th starter behind Beck, Lest, Buch, Dice, Lack and maybe Doub. He wasn't supposed to start 20+ games. In fact, I stated several times he should not start more than 14-15 straight. Even after leading the team to a 11-5 record in his first 16 starts, I called for him to be rested and for Theo to pick up two pitchers at the deadline. He still ended up equal to or better than most team's 5th starter, and again... he was out 6/7 starter...not 5th.

I never liked Lowrie as a fielder, and the whole "No Pop Jed" thread was a spoof od softy's idiotic claims in 2010. I was wrong about his offensive projections for Jed in 2011, but not that far off. He's still pretty darn good vs lefties.

I've tolerated Tito, but never been a big fan. I've criticized him many times for his line-ups, handling of the staff, and predictability with bunts and other calls.