My 2013/future rotation and why

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

My 2013/future rotation and why

#1 Greinke over Felix or C.Lee would be my choice so we didn't give up all our top prospects. Save them for my #9 and it should give us three good young arms moving forward.

#2 Buchholz

#3 Lester

#4 Anibal or McCarthy - perfect fits

#5 Doubront

#6 Morales

#7 De La Rosa

#8 Barnes

#9 Hultzen, or Walker from the Mariners, in exchange for Ells and two prospects. Or, Ells and either Morales or Doubront and a prospect.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: My 2013/future rotation and why

Where do you have Lackey fitting in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

#1 Greinke over Felix or C.Lee would be my choice so we didn't give up all our top prospects. Save them for my #9 and it should give us three good young arms moving forward.

#2 Buchholz

#3 Lester

#5 Doubront

#6 Morales

#7 De La Rosa

#8 Barnes

#9 Hultzen, or Walker from the Mariners, in exchange for Ells and two prospects. Or, Ells and either Morales or Doubront and a prospect.

No chance Greinke ends up in Boston...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Greinke in Boston would be a nightmare. I dont see John Lackey on your list. He WILL be in the rotation in 2013.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Another half baked idea on the forum.... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Lincecum/Lester/Bucholz/Doubront/Lackey/Rybby - 2013 (Farrell will turn this rotation around into one of top 1-5 rotation in the league)

Lester/Bucholz/Barnes/Doubront/Webster/Rubby - 2014

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

at first i was against grienke too, but heres the thing that changed my mind. 1) he would only cost us a comp or 2nd round pick, not a 1st, as our 1st is protected , chances are this is the only year for awhile we will have a protected pick. Trading for an ace is going to cost a ton of prospects, which we will need to acquire some middle of the order bats. Sign grienke, sign haren, rotation is then:

Grienke (5 yrs at 18.5 per)

Lester

Haren (2yr deal + a team option for a 3rd year)

Buchholz

de la rosa/doubront/lackey

That could be done without giving up any prospects. Looks pretty good to me

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

2013: Peavy, Lester, Buch, Doubront, Lackey/Rubby/Morales

2014: Peavy, Lester, Buch, Rubby, Barnes/Doubront/Webster

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

king, F

Lee, C

Verlander, J

Lester (aka buy ford trucks)

Bucholzzzz (aka count drakula)

Only to appear in games when red sox are either winning by 17 runs or losing by 10:  lackey

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Greinke in Boston would be a nightmare. I dont see John Lackey on your list. He WILL be in the rotation in 2013.

Lackey isn't on my list southpaw because I'm hoping he pitches just well enough to get dumped like Beckett :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Another half baked idea on the forum.... 

Ennchilada, since my idea is what you consider "half baked" maybe you can tell me why and give us your idea as to what the rotation should be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

at first i was against grienke too, but heres the thing that changed my mind. 1) he would only cost us a comp or 2nd round pick, not a 1st, as our 1st is protected , chances are this is the only year for awhile we will have a protected pick. Trading for an ace is going to cost a ton of prospects, which we will need to acquire some middle of the order bats. Sign grienke, sign haren, rotation is then:

Grienke (5 yrs at 18.5 per)

Lester

Haren (2yr deal + a team option for a 3rd year)

Buchholz

de la rosa/doubront/lackey

That could be done without giving up any prospects. Looks pretty good to me

I wouldn't be against Haren coming in either, but feel he may be more expensive than signing Anibal or McCarthy.  We will still need bats, especially if we package Ells.  I say save as much as possible, Haren really isn't any better than Anibal or McCarthy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I can see the logic here. Very astute of you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Until and unless they find a catcher, no manager or new pitcher(s) will bring down the staff ERA.

Saltalamacchia is the reason our SP stunk last year. There can be no other explanation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Lackey will be back especially Farrell as a manager.

Lackey, Bucholtz, Doubront, Lester and a pitcher via trade (Shield, Price, Lincecum, Felix (I know it is going to be impossible) etc.)  Stay away from Grinke or Peavy.  These two will not do well in the city of Boston.  One interesting pitcher could be Kuroda.  But since he had a good year with the Yankees, I am sure he would now ask for multi-years contract with at least 10 millions dollars a year.  He is 38 years old, and not sure if he is going to continue to be good again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Lincecum/Lester/Bucholz/Doubront/Lackey/Rybby - 2013 (Farrell will turn this rotation around into one of top 1-5 rotation in the league)

Lester/Bucholz/Barnes/Doubront/Webster/Rubby - 2014

I don't see Lackey sticking around in Boston unless he pitches above average.  We don't need John, his attitude or is contract.  I'm not management but I would build next years rotation without even adding the guy to the equation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

#2 Buchholz

#3 Lester

#5 Doubront

#6 Morales

#7 De La Rosa

#8 Barnes

UOTE]

I always love a fan that states something will never happen, or why because more often than not it does :)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

#2 Buchholz

#3 Lester

#5 Doubront

#6 Morales

#7 De La Rosa

#8 Barnes

UOTE]

I always love a fan that states something will never happen, or why because more often than not it does :)

This one can be stated with 100% certainty for both Greinke and the Sox.  There was a thread on Greinke and Boston a few weeks ago that covered all of the reasons why, including an interview with Greinke.  If you can dig it up, you would understand, but the bottom line is it isn't even a remote possibility for lots of legitimate reasons. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

do you think the RS dont offer on Greinke, or they do and he is offered a more $$$ else where? If he is offered more else where, what team?

Can some one point out other than pitching thru needing TJ when he should have shut it down, what Lackey has done that is so horrible? His team mates seem to like him, he has picthed well when healthy. I am anxious to see how he does when healthy.

Sox will need 7-9 starters when all is said and done, and I think Lackey will be one of them, and I think he will pitch well.

I also think Farrel and Cherrington will sign Ortiz and Ross quickly, and focus on a defensive catcher that this staff can get comfortable with.

Salty is trade material, and Lavarnway is AAA C and DH... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

do you think the RS dont offer on Greinke, or they do and he is offered a more $$$ else where? If he is offered more else where, what team?

Can some one point out other than pitching thru needing TJ when he should have shut it down, what Lackey has done that is so horrible? His team mates seem to like him, he has picthed well when healthy. I am anxious to see how he does when healthy.

Sox will need 7-9 starters when all is said and done, and I think Lackey will be one of them, and I think he will pitch well.

I also think Farrel and Cherrington will sign Ortiz and Ross quickly, and focus on a defensive catcher that this staff can get comfortable with.

The Angels, Dodgers & Rangers are the 3 favorites to land Greinke right now, with estimated deals as high as 6/130.  All 3 of those teams have the resources to get into a bidding war, all 3 of those teams have much more appeal to Greinke and there is no way the Sox would ever go anywhere near 100 million for a guy who admittedly has to take anxiety medication and isn't comfortable around people.  I'll find his interview in Milwaukee from last year.  Read it and tell me if you think Greinke would ever consider Boston or Boston would ever consider Greinke. It's just a bad fit for all involved...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Lackey has been below average since coming to the Red Sox and nobody has ever stated to my knowledge he is well liked or disliked in the clubhouse.  What we do know is what we have seen, a bad attitude and clinging to Josh Becketts side almost every game last season.

Theo knew about previous arm trouble with Lackey and signed him anyway "like Drew" after getting clearance from probably one of the worst medical staffs and conditioning staffs this team has ever seen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

as has already been stated - Lackey will be a starter next season so those leaving him out of the equation are dreaming.

therefore, barring injury or an unexpected trade - Doubront, Lester, Bucholtz and Lackey comprise 4/5th of the rotation. 

seems like guys like greinke; haren; lohse; santana; and peavy would be too expensive. unless they can make a move for someone like mccarthy, or anibal sanchez,  i'm all for signing a stop gap veteran to hold down a spot. edwin Jackson? Kuroda? perhaps in 2014 see where barnes is (and also webster/de la rosa), get lackey out of here (?), see if doubront is the real deal and then maybe (if need be) make a move to sign a youngish starter long term. If any of the top guys can be had for 1 or 2 years I'd be all for overpaying for the luxury of not getting tied in to 5-7 year deals for pitchers that almost never work out. 

sox are seemingly unlikely to sign big long term contracts at this point unless it's someone they feel is a consensus can't miss. greinke might fit the bill in terms of being young and talented, but his anxiety issues make him a big question mark in boston and this front office can't make any more big mistakes. seems unlikely, but who knows? there's no telling with this team at this point. signs seem to point to making conservative moves and developing young talent, but they've continued to defy logic over the past few years so we'll see. all it takes is for larry lucchino to make up his mind that Greinke's the guy and there's a good chance he'll be here. these guys go where they get paid the most and only a handful of teams can afford the 100 million or so it's going to take to get him. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

as has already been stated - Lackey will be a starter next season so those leaving him out of the equation are dreaming.

therefore, barring injury or an unexpected trade - Doubront, Lester, Bucholtz and Lackey comprise 4/5th of the rotation. 

seems like guys like greinke; haren; lohse; santana; and peavy would be too expensive. unless they can make a move for someone like mccarthy, or anibal sanchez,  i'm all for signing a stop gap veteran to hold down a spot. edwin Jackson? Kuroda? perhaps in 2014 see where barnes is (and also webster/de la rosa), get lackey out of here (?), see if doubront is the real deal and then maybe (if need be) make a move to sign a youngish starter long term. If any of the top guys can be had for 1 or 2 years I'd be all for overpaying for the luxury of not getting tied in to 5-7 year deals for pitchers that almost never work out. 

sox are seemingly unlikely to sign big long term contracts at this point unless it's someone they feel is a consensus can't miss. greinke might fit the bill in terms of being young and talented, but his anxiety issues make him a big question mark in boston and this front office can't make any more big mistakes. seems unlikely, but who knows? there's no telling with this team at this point. signs seem to point to making conservative moves and developing young talent, but they've continued to defy logic over the past few years so we'll see. all it takes is for larry lucchino to make up his mind that Greinke's the guy and there's a good chance he'll be here. these guys go where they get paid the most and only a handful of teams can afford the 100 million or so it's going to take to get him. 

Lackey more than likely will start because we need arms but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case come ST.  Our FO has the money to improve in a lot of areas and pitching should be right there at the top without banking on anything better from Lackey just because of TJ.  The problem is Lackey simply can't hold his own playing so many AL East teams so frequently.

I don't see that changing, I would take Anibal and/or McCarthy over him anytime.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lackey isn't on my list southpaw because I'm hoping he pitches just well enough to get dumped like Beckett :)

But he WILL start the year and will have to pitch well to be able to get some value from him. I imagine he will be here at least til the ASB.

Sections
Shortcuts