My Apologies, I Was Wrong About The Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

My Apologies, I Was Wrong About The Red Sox

After last year's debacle of a season and the whole Bobby Valentine fiasco, I thought it would be years before this team would compete for just a playoff spot never mind the World Series. After last season's big trade, I was really down on the team. I failed to look at the big picture and just thought they were cleaning house, throwing in the towel and would accept just being cellar dwellers. I really poisoned these forums last season with all my negativity and sour attitude towards the team and often got into spats with fellow board members. My first mistake is that I sometimes use these boards to vent and let off steam after a bad loss or when things aren't always going the right way. I know I wasn't the only one that felt this way but would like to send out apologies to those I may have butted heads with or those who I may have offended. I was dead wrong about this team and should have known better. I have been a Bruins and Red Sox fan for over 30 years and should know by now that a Boston team never quits. They may get knocked down but they always get back up. The Red Sox have made a historical turnaround in just one season and now are just one win away from a third world series in 9 years- absolutely remarkable ! At the end of the day, we are all diehards who cheer on our teams. It's just like a marriage, love our teams through better and through worse ! Cheers everyone and Lets Go Red Sox ! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: My Apologies, I Was Wrong About The Red Sox

No Problem jp. I usually try and stay off the boards right after a game and let my emotions level off a bit. Ive done the same thing you have (maybe not to that extent) and have regretted it.

Your a passionate fan as we all are. Sometimes it gets the best of us, but it doesnt make us any less of a fan. Enjoy the game tonight!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After last year's debacle of a season and the whole Bobby Valentine fiasco, I thought it would be years before this team would compete for just a playoff spot never mind the World Series. After last season's big trade, I was really down on the team. I failed to look at the big picture and just thought they were cleaning house, throwing in the towel and would accept just being cellar dwellers. I really poisoned these forums last season with all my negativity and sour attitude towards the team and often got into spats with fellow board members. My first mistake is that I sometimes use these boards to vent and let off steam after a bad loss or when things aren't always going the right way. I know I wasn't the only one that felt this way but would like to send out apologies to those I may have butted heads with or those who I may have offended. I was dead wrong about this team and should have known better. I have been a Bruins and Red Sox fan for over 30 years and should know by now that a Boston team never quits. They may get knocked down but they always get back up. The Red Sox have made a historical turnaround in just one season and now are just one win away from a third world series in 9 years- absolutely remarkable ! At the end of the day, we are all diehards who cheer on our teams. It's just like a marriage, love our teams through better and through worse ! Cheers everyone and Lets Go Red Sox ! 

[/QUOTE]

You're far from the only one.

Everyone had varying opinions about the sox this year, but not even the most optimistic of us saw this October coming.

Thanks for stepping up and posting this.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I thought I was being generous projecting 84 wins for a Red Sox team coming off a 93-loss season. Regardless of how the World Series ends, it has been a remarkable year for the Red Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're far from the only one.

Everyone had varying opinions about the sox this year, but not even the most optimistic of us saw this October coming.

Thanks for stepping up and posting this.

[/QUOTE]

Actually I predicted 95 wins (little bit off) and Sox in World Series early in the ST post.  Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought I was being generous projecting 84 wins for a Red Sox team coming off a 93-loss season. Regardless of how the World Series ends, it has been a remarkable year for the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No Problem jp. I usually try and stay off the boards right after a game and let my emotions level off a bit. Ive done the same thing you have (maybe not to that extent) and have regretted it.

Your a passionate fan as we all are. Sometimes it gets the best of us, but it doesnt make us any less of a fan. Enjoy the game tonight!

[/QUOTE] since when????Tongue OutSmile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I was absolutely in the same boat. The players weren't likeable (even Pedey was being a spoiled brat), and it appeared management had basically mailed in the next few years after the big trade, and had the intent on starting from scratch.

But with the firing of Valentine, the hiring (and trade) of Farrell bringing the players back together, signing a lot of second-tier players for second-tier money as opposed to making the same mistakes, this team became likeable again. And that was just to start the season.

Everyone should truly enjoy this moment, not just because it's the championship, but because the odds are against them from doing it again next year. Obviously, this team has overachieved. You look at the starting staff on the Sox and compare it to Detroit or St. Louis. You look at the middle of the lineup for those two teams compared to the Sox. The Sox don't match up.

But this team has displayed heart, poise, and chemistry more than just about any other team I've ever seen.

No matter what people say, that 2004 team was stacked. The #8 hitter won the batting title, and had one of the best 1-2 punches in the rotation in the past decade. Their lineup consisted of - Damon, Manny, Trot, Mueller, Millar, Papi, Cabrera, Varitek, Bellhorn. They were stacked. And while they were fun to watch horse around in the dugout and what not, this team has more grittiness to it.

I'm proud as hell of this team, regardless of how this shapes up. The way they've come together has been magical, and I flat-out didn't see it coming. I was expecting 80 wins, with an 85 ceiling. Anybody who said they would push the 100 win mark was kidding themselves.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Nobody, but nobody foresaw the Sox would be up 3-2 in the 2013 World Series.  I was one of many who were downright pessimistic and saw maybe 70 or 75 wins.  So either we all apologize or we all claim some kind of dispensation for venial sins.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It happens.  I tend to shut down completely on these boards when a team goes out, like the Pats in the SB or the Sox v. Rays a couple years back.  I take those losses really, really hard, and my defense mech is to do other things for weeks.  But I'm not sure if my reaction is any better than anyone else's reaction.

Nice post, though. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Does anybody even remember in July/August when people were still waiting for this team to crumble? Most people were waiting for it. It never happened. They got even better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Many have been guilty,  including myself at  times.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Don't beat yourself up..... As DAD would say.......   "SON, loving the RED SOX, is never to say your sorry" !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Ohh, THATS what he said.  I figured he must have said "Son, disprespecting DAVID ORTIZ is never to say you're sorry."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does anybody even remember in July/August when people were still waiting for this team to crumble? Most people were waiting for it. It never happened. They got even better.

[/QUOTE]

Totally.  I'm out of market and use MLB extra innings, which means I lose Sox announcers on road games.  Cannot tell you how many times road announcers called the Sox overachievers, overperformers, or reaching beyond their means to pull out wins.  Almost all had them fading after the AS break. 

Except Don, Jerry, and Eck...those guys saw this coming.  Wish Orsillo would get the WS call.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nobody, but nobody foresaw the Sox would be up 3-2 in the 2013 World Series.  I was one of many who were downright pessimistic and saw maybe 70 or 75 wins.  So either we all apologize or we all claim some kind of dispensation for venial sins.   

[/QUOTE]

well Max! I have nothing to apologize for pal. I bet my boss that the sox would make it to the playoffs before spring trainning even began. I really enjoyed that steak n cheese sub. why did I think that you may ask. simple answer. John Farrell coming back to the city and team that he loved and that loved him. His magic wasn't that he had managed for 2 years up in toronto. No, his magic is that he is a master pitching coach and knew how to get this staff back on track. Players that were here when he was here were jumping for joy at the announcement of his return.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

[QUOTE]

well Max! I have nothing to apologize for pal. I bet my boss that the sox would make it to the playoffs before spring trainning even began. I really enjoyed that steak n cheese sub. why did I think that you may ask. simple answer. John Farrell coming back to the city and team that he loved and that loved him. His magic wasn't that he had managed for 2 years up in toronto. No, his magic is that he is a master pitching coach and knew how to get this staff back on track. Players that were here when he was here were jumping for joy at the announcement of his return.

[/QUOTE] well, there is that whole you're a Sox fan thing Tongue Out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Even an eternal optimist like myself, while I did allow for the possibility of this club making a deeprun, I never in my wildest dreams imagined that John Lackey would be the heart of this club and one of the primary cogs in that run, or more amazingly, that I would end up loving the guy.  Such a beautiful season of unexpected things.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was way wrong. I projected 81-84 wins and said they could only make the playoffs if both Lester and Buch stayed healthy and pitched well all year.

I was upset at Ben for "playing it halfway"- not doing enough to make us contenders in 2013, and doing next to nothing for the future.

I did say that the team only became Ben's with the Dodger trade, and that he deserved a chance to prove his plan was a good one. He has done so.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your bet on an underdog panning out. You can now tell everyone "I told you so".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your bet on an underdog panning out. You can now tell everyone "I told you so".

[/QUOTE]
    HA! sure will....................I told you so!!!!!! lolWink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well.....I understand your apology and sincerely appreciate the crow you're eating....but please tell me, why get in spats with board members here in the first place?  It's one thing if the person you are in a spat with is rude or condescending (Softy) or constantly starts post after post about the same player NONSTOP (Bill).  We are all here because we are fans of the team....and we all come back here because we love baseball.  Spreading negativity about the team to the point where you get into arguement in an on-line forum is simply childish.  A rule thumb I go by is "would I speak to somebody like that if they were in front of me or having a cold one next to me??"  If the answer is no....then I refrain.

Enjoy game 6.....and don't beat yourself up.  Life's too short. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Let me put in my 2 cents. My expectations weren't high at all. Since being a fan since the Impossible Dream year of 1967 I have seen many of these teams come and go. Talented teams that were expected to win it all and fell short, teams that were 1 out away(1986) from winning it all. But this team is gritty and hopefully finishes it off tonight. I expected this team to play .500 and not what they played last year. What a debacle that was. Big Papi is earning every dime he is being paid just as Lester is. Lester finally pitching like an ace. Hopefully Lackey gets the job done. GO SOX 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The season has been a combination of intangibles that had us all blindsided.

a. A whole crew of "new" players. "New" to our team but not new to winning. I am guilty of looking at stats and not looking at the desire and competitive nature of players like Victorino, Ross, Gomes, Napoli and Drew.

b. The Yankees were never a factor.....how often do we get an opportunity to say that? Our chief rivals were dead in the water, without much of a chance almost right from the start.

c. The combination of 1. a new manager ( who is a former pitching coach) , 2. a new pitching coach ( who is a former MLB pitcher) and 3. A backup catcher (Ross) who , in essence, serves as a second pitching coach. The pitching really is night and day from the last 2 years.

d. And probably the most over-looked. The Marathon Bombings served as a rallying point. I think this team took it upon themselves to take this horrible act and use it as a moment to rally the troops ( a "remember the Alamo" type moment, if you will).

e. As more experts began praising the Tigers and Dodgers teams that appear "well stocked" with talent, these guys put their nose to the grindstone and just gutted out wins...sometimes appearing "punchless" through the early innings of games only to have the pitching keep them close enjoy to rally in the late innings....and then it's Koji time, turn out the lights!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well.....I understand your apology and sincerely appreciate the crow you're eating....but please tell me, why get in spats with board members here in the first place?  It's one thing if the person you are in a spat with is rude or condescending (Softy) or constantly starts post after post about the same player NONSTOP (Bill).  We are all here because we are fans of the team....and we all come back here because we love baseball.  Spreading negativity about the team to the point where you get into arguement in an on-line forum is simply childish.  A rule thumb I go by is "would I speak to somebody like that if they were in front of me or having a cold one next to me??"  If the answer is no....then I refrain.

Enjoy game 6.....and don't beat yourself up.  Life's too short. 

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, wasn't some of my prouder  moments. It's called typing before thinking, especially when you are already upset about the state of the team while typing. You are right, it was childish.  Cheers and thanks for your input.

Sections
Shortcuts