My Apologies, I Was Wrong About The Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: My Apologies, I Was Wrong About The Red Sox

In response to southpaw777's comment:

No Problem jp. I usually try and stay off the boards right after a game and let my emotions level off a bit. Ive done the same thing you have (maybe not to that extent) and have regretted it.

Your a passionate fan as we all are. Sometimes it gets the best of us, but it doesnt make us any less of a fan. Enjoy the game tonight!

Thanks for the support southpaw !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I don't think I've ever been more incorrect about a team. I thought they were a 81-84 win at max. Happy to be wrong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

After last year's debacle of a season and the whole Bobby Valentine fiasco, I thought it would be years before this team would compete for just a playoff spot never mind the World Series. After last season's big trade, I was really down on the team. I failed to look at the big picture and just thought they were cleaning house, throwing in the towel and would accept just being cellar dwellers. I really poisoned these forums last season with all my negativity and sour attitude towards the team and often got into spats with fellow board members. My first mistake is that I sometimes use these boards to vent and let off steam after a bad loss or when things aren't always going the right way. I know I wasn't the only one that felt this way but would like to send out apologies to those I may have butted heads with or those who I may have offended. I was dead wrong about this team and should have known better. I have been a Bruins and Red Sox fan for over 30 years and should know by now that a Boston team never quits. They may get knocked down but they always get back up. The Red Sox have made a historical turnaround in just one season and now are just one win away from a third world series in 9 years- absolutely remarkable ! At the end of the day, we are all diehards who cheer on our teams. It's just like a marriage, love our teams through better and through worse ! Cheers everyone and Lets Go Red Sox ! 

I didn't come here and argue but I was so upset with the sox I just stayed away.  I'm not sure that's much better.  No on could predict how this year would turn out so don't beat yourself up over this.

I know you enjoyed this year as much as the rest of us.  So sit back relax (if you can) and enjoy tonights game.

Sox in six!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Nobody, but nobody foresaw the Sox would be up 3-2 in the 2013 World Series.  I was one of many who were downright pessimistic and saw maybe 70 or 75 wins.  So either we all apologize or we all claim some kind of dispensation for venial sins.   

LOL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to soups' comment:

It happens.  I tend to shut down completely on these boards when a team goes out, like the Pats in the SB or the Sox v. Rays a couple years back.  I take those losses really, really hard, and my defense mech is to do other things for weeks.  But I'm not sure if my reaction is any better than anyone else's reaction.

Nice post, though. 

I'm pretty much the same.  I think we feel very deeply about our sox.  They are not just a team, they are an experience.  They connect families through out the generations and friends across the country.

My daughter-in-law is from outer mongolia and now she is a sox fan. She sent a sox hat to her dad so now the are in outer mongolia!  Red sox world!!!!!  I have my granddaughter cheering for the sox and she is 14 months old!

Red sox nation is really red sox family.

Sox in six!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The thing that gets me the most is that I was usually about the last poster to give up on a Red Sox season from 2008 to 2012. I always had high hopes and expectations, even though I thought we were always a top pitcher away from being the favorites. This past winter I told myself that we cannot keep expecting Lester and Buchholz to both pitch very well and stay healthy all year. I figured the odds were less than 50% that would happen. It turned out I was right on that point, which in a way makes me even more wrong on my thought that we'd only win 81-84 games because of the Lester-Buch formula. I thought Lackey could do well, but never expected this. Doubront surprised me, except about him hitting a wall in August. I loved the Uehara signing, but never saw him as having the best RP season in MLB history. I always liked Tazawa and Breslow, but never expected the staff to all come togther like this.

Last winter, I did not like Victorino's numbers vs RHPs, Drew's defense at SS, and the need for everything to all come together all at once.

It didn't really all come together perfectly. Bailey and Hanarahan got hurt. Victorino and others were hurt off and on all year. Papi missed the start of the year. JBJ bombed. Ross was out a long time. Buch did not stay healthy all year. Lester struggled for part of the year. Dempster did not earn his $13M. Ellsbury did not approach his 2011 numbers that many felt we needed him to do. Napoli went through a prolonged slump. Doubront hit the wall. Gomes did not kill lefties as we all hoped he would. Not many guys really overachieved by that much. Yet, we eneded up with the best record in MLB playing the toughest schedule in MLB. 

Great coaching and managing. Great team chemistry. Great home and road splits. No prolonged losing streaks. Most series won over the season. A never-say-die attitude. A will to win. A confidence in winning without being overconfident.

It's not over yet, but this team has blown me away.

What a fun season!

What a team!

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

This has been one fun year....maybe the best I have seen...especially after last years train wreck. Still everyone seems to have forgot last years team was 53-51 and involved in the playoffs than Ortiz and Middlebrooks went down and the team started losing....eventually leading to the trade. The Sox went 16-42 to finish the season...basically playing at a AAA level. The core of the team was still strong it was a matter of going out and getting the right pieces to complement them and BC did just that...just an incredible job from the GM, management and team this year...and an absolute joy to watch...can't say enough about this team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2013 World Champions !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I thought I was being generous projecting 84 wins for a Red Sox team coming off a 93-loss season. Regardless of how the World Series ends, it has been a remarkable year for the Red Sox.

I was a little more optimistic Mr. Hill thinking the Sox would be 90 -92 wins PO bubble team.  What I highly doubted and sure am glad was wrong was that Lackey and Lester would be healthy and awesome at the same time.   hallelujah 

I wanted the Ben to clean house and build for the future becasue I doubted the front end of our rotation was PO calliber.  Before the season I thought the Sox would creap into the playoffs and the starting pitching would not step up.   I was wrong, Ben was right.    hallelujah

The non bell shape curve careers (bounce back years):

Vic, Drew, Lackey, Lester, Buch, Ells, Napoli    all had much better years than last year,  hallelujah 

Normal injury rate:

after a handful of seasons in the last 5 decimated by injury   hallelujah 

that Vic, Ells, and Napoli played a lot and well with injuries was fortuitous  hallelujah

Salty stepping up at least in the RS and becoming an asset (considering what he was traded for) (thanks theo):  hallelujah

koji  nuf said   hallelujah

sometimes the best plans...:  Jenks, Bard, Melancon, Bailey, Hanrahan, ..   oy

workman and  breslow coming up big    hallelujah

Farrell >  Bobby V      Farrell said he copied Tito in keeping clubhouse things quiet because that is what works in Boston  Bobby was not capable of that.      hallelujah

and most of all

having a HOF DH who unbelievably is ageing like a fine wine.  What an advantage in the WS 3x now, and all year.     hallelujah

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Perhaps what surprised me the most about our finish to 2013 was that no player really had a shocking season.

Yes, Uehara had the best WHIP ever, but he had 2 really good seasons before 2013.

Papi had a great year, but if you prorate 2012 to 600 PAs, then 2014 was no surprise.

Pedey, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Bailey, Hanrahan, Miller, Morales and Aceves actually  fell below half to most people's expectations (some due to injury).

Salty, Nava, Breslow, Lester, Lackey, Iggy (while here) and Doubront did marginally better than expected, and Buch's injury cut his numbers down. Non were shockingly great.

The winter additions:

Carp was probably the most shocking surprise, but had under 250 PAs.

Gomes did not give us what we expected vs LHPs and his .771 OPS was under most projections, but he did bring a lot of intangibles. Nothing shocking.

Dempster certainly did not bring us more than expected, and on paper was not worth the contract amount.

Drew only played in 124 games and barely got over 500 PAs, His defense shocked me, but not everyone here. Overall, he did not produce much more than expectations.

Napoli broke his record for career PAs in a season by 68. This was a bit shocking after the injury discovery. His career high RBIs was not shocking. His OPS was below his career OPS. Not shocking.

Victorino might have shocked some of us on defense, but he really shouldn't have. He's been a great defensive player for years. His fragility was in question last winter, and that did become an issue this year. He only played in 122 games and missed time in the WS. His .801 OPS was much better than 2012, but was 46 points belwo his 2011 number, so it's hard to say his 2013 season was shockingly good.

Uehara was awesome, but his numbers in 2012 were some of the best of all time as well, and his 2010 season was very very good as well. Shocking? I guess so, but he wasn't even our closer until the end of June!

The season came down to everyone contributing, and nobody except maybe Middlebrooks having a shockingly bad season, though he still hit 17 Hrs and 49 RBIs in just 94 games.

Great coaching, managing, team chemistry, and dogged determination all came together to put us over the top. We had the numbers on paper. This year was not a fluke. We did not win, because other teams made mistakes. We won because we were the best team in MLB. We had the best record in MLB playing in the toughest division in MLB agkainst the toughest schedule of any playoff team. We had the best run differential. We had great home-road splits. Our rotation matched up well with even the best in MLB, and our 1-2 punch of Breslow and Uehara had perhaps the best 2nd half numbers in MLB history. Our middle men held their own, particularly Tazawa and Workman. Our bench carried us at times: Iggy, Carp, Nava, Ross, Bogey and more.

Great team effort from a great team!

Thank you Red Sox!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Perhaps what surprised me the most about our finish to 2013 was that no player really had a shocking season.

Yes, Uehara had the best WHIP ever, but he had 2 really good seasons before 2013.

Papi had a great year, but if you prorate 2012 to 600 PAs, then 2014 was no surprise.

Pedey, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Bailey, Hanrahan, Miller, Morales and Aceves actually  fell below half to most people's expectations (some due to injury).

Salty, Nava, Breslow, Lester, Lackey, Iggy (while here) and Doubront did marginally better than expected, and Buch's injury cut his numbers down. Non were shockingly great.

The winter additions:

Carp was probably the most shocking surprise, but had under 250 PAs.

Gomes did not give us what we expected vs LHPs and his .771 OPS was under most projections, but he did bring a lot of intangibles. Nothing shocking.

Dempster certainly did not bring us more than expected, and on paper was not worth the contract amount.

Drew only played in 124 games and barely got over 500 PAs, His defense shocked me, but not everyone here. Overall, he did not produce much more than expectations.

Napoli broke his record for career PAs in a season by 68. This was a bit shocking after the injury discovery. His career high RBIs was not shocking. His OPS was below his career OPS. Not shocking.

Victorino might have shocked some of us on defense, but he really shouldn't have. He's been a great defensive player for years. His fragility was in question last winter, and that did become an issue this year. He only played in 122 games and missed time in the WS. His .801 OPS was much better than 2012, but was 46 points belwo his 2011 number, so it's hard to say his 2013 season was shockingly good.

Uehara was awesome, but his numbers in 2012 were some of the best of all time as well, and his 2010 season was very very good as well. Shocking? I guess so, but he wasn't even our closer until the end of June!

The season came down to everyone contributing, and nobody except maybe Middlebrooks having a shockingly bad season, though he still hit 17 Hrs and 49 RBIs in just 94 games.

Great coaching, managing, team chemistry, and dogged determination all came together to put us over the top. We had the numbers on paper. This year was not a fluke. We did not win, because other teams made mistakes. We won because we were the best team in MLB. We had the best record in MLB playing in the toughest division in MLB agkainst the toughest schedule of any playoff team. We had the best run differential. We had great home-road splits. Our rotation matched up well with even the best in MLB, and our 1-2 punch of Breslow and Uehara had perhaps the best 2nd half numbers in MLB history. Our middle men held their own, particularly Tazawa and Workman. Our bench carried us at times: Iggy, Carp, Nava, Ross, Bogey and more.

Great team effort from a great team!

Thank you Red Sox!

you seem like a nice person and obviously a great Red Sox supporter but your concerns about numbers and stats go way overboard. this 2013 World Champion team was about people and team not numbers. great pitching and clutch hitting were the best stats.

as for the original post put me in the "the Red Sox will be lucky if they play .500" crowd.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

you seem like a nice person and obviously a great Red Sox supporter but your concerns about numbers and stats go way overboard. this 2013 World Champion team was about people and team not numbers. great pitching and clutch hitting were the best stats.

Mosts stats reflect what happens on the field.

Clutch hitting is almost totally unsustainable as shown by the Cards who had something like a .333 BA with RISP this season, then poof... gone!

Great pitching and clutch hitting are very important for winning a ring, but is hard to predict or project with stats or numbers. That is one reason we play the games. I recognize that and have never said stats are great predictors of what will happen. One can make projections based on stats, trends, gut feelings, or whatever, but it all comes down to what happens on the field.

I did not expect a playoff team this year, because I did not project relative good health, a rotation that held its own, and a balanced attack that made up for that missing 1-2 punch that seemed to be a big formula for previous team success.

I have admitted I was grossly wrong about most of this team.

On the use of stats, many times I use stats is to refute posters who make claimes like "Papi is in a punch and judy hitter". I show the numbers why this is not true, and watching the games showed I was right. (I have been wrong many times as well.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My DAD said a lot of things........  never got into disrespect !!!

Maybe that's the one lesson DAD should have given you long long ago.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

My DAD said a lot of things........  never got into disrespect !!!

Maybe that's the one lesson DAD should have given you long long ago.

DAD did say -------- "SON, if you have an OPINION, it doesn't cost anything to share it" !!!!!

There's sharing an opinion and then there's being obnoxious.

Learn the difference.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

How about teaching us how you learned the difference?  Bill posted some stats which upset a few but he also gives compliments.  If you don't like what he posts, use the ignore featue or stay on that boy's club network.

What stats? Oh for 4 one game?

Why do you feel the need to defend a guy who has relentlessly bashed Papi all year long, and never once siad he misjudged what Papi would do this year. Not once, despite your claims to the contrary. Any time he comes close to an itty bit bit of Papi praise, he coaches it with a subtle slam or projection of impending decline.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

How about teaching us how you learned the difference?  Bill posted some stats which upset a few but he also gives compliments.  If you don't like what he posts, use the ignore featue or stay on that boy's club network.

Give me an example of a "Bill stat".

This should be good for a laugh, if you can actually come up with one, that is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I didn't know what to expect.  I guess i didn't have any expetations other than they would be more organized and in a better mood with the new manager.

I only got to see them play when they played at Detroit and Cleveland.  Never made it to Boston this year.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bill is not alone in misjudging what the sox or papi were going to do this year.  Of the people who got it right, I am sure there is a large percentage of that group who thinks the sox will win it all every year.

Bill is ok, he gets fourb's to respond to all of his posts.  So who is actually the fool?

You and fourb

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Bill is not alone in misjudging what the sox or papi were going to do this year.  Of the people who got it right, I am sure there is a large percentage of that group who thinks the sox will win it all every year.

Bill is ok, he gets fourb's to respond to all of his posts.  So who is actually the fool?

You and fourb

But I don't insult Bill.  The sox just won a ws, how about growing up a bit and concentrating on the postive.

Still waiting for an example of a Bill stat.

Adults tend to back up what they say.

You've always struggled with the concept.

Sections
Shortcuts