My Best Baseball Memory..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

My Best Baseball Memory..

In the winter of 1966 my Dad took me to Fla to watch the Pro/Baseball (since ended) Golf Tournament. I was 13 years old and determined to meet all of the Red Sox participants, Arnold Palmer and my favorite Gary Player. To hell with Jack Nicholas, Micky Mantle and any one else!

I remember seeing Yogi tee off. - so funny. Hawk Harelson, who would go on to win the players part of it - head up his ass. And many more that I can't remember. It was fun,but,I could only find one freakin' Red Sox on the program and he wasn't even one of main guys! Oh well, didn't matter, I'll figure out what hole he was on and hang put with his foursome.

Around the 8th or 9th hole I finally caught up with them. They were far removed from the crowds who were following the " bigger names." It was basically those four a me! - Brother Dick and Larry Brown, and...Jim Longborg and Bob Feller! - They were 4 of the nicest guys you would ever meet!

I remember Feller showing me how to throw a curve. Wow. Longborg, off couse was a couple of months away from that famous 1967 and would go to have a special place in Red Sox lore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: My Best Baseball Memory..

At a Braves game in ATL. I was 9. My sister was 6.

We were down trying to get autographs in the aisle at the first row. Hank Aaron called to my sister, "Hey girlie!", and then he threw my sister a ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

My little league team went to Fenway as league champions, sitting along the 1st base line. George Scott came over and said hi to us all and shook everyone's hands. He was wearing his necklace made out of second basemen's teeth too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Derek Lowe catching Terrence Long (?) looking in the 2003 ALDS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

jacoby stealing home against andy pettite and the yankees!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In 1997, my late father took me to Fenway to see Roger Clemens debut as a Toronto Blue Jay.

Clemens struck out 16 batters and Toronto won 3-1.  My late father was happy (He was a Blue Jays fan).  But I was p*ssed.  LOL

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My worst memory: seeing Dick pole get hit in the head by a line shot. The ball bounced by Rico Petrocelli who ignored it as he rushed to Dick's aid. I remember Burleson retrieving the ball keeping it from being an inside-the park infield HR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

as a kid-first live game with Dad(Mets-Stros') as an adult-Yanks 99' title(a month later my son was born) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My worst memory: seeing Dick pole get hit in the head by a line shot. The ball bounced by Rico Petrocelli who ignored it as he rushed to Dick's aid. I remember Burleson retrieving the ball keeping it from being an inside-the park infield HR.

[/QUOTE]

my worst memory was the last game of the 2011 season.... watching crawford muff the catch and then not 3 minutes later seeing longo win the game for the rays. makes me wanna throw up just thinking about it.. i don't think i talked to anyone for like 2 weeks after that.

i still think the yanks blew that game on purpose.. bringing in bag boys from the local wegmans to pitch

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

best:  X-mas day early 80's.... very little snow, playin pass in the yard..... slush/ice on the ball..... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BombBuster. Show BombBuster's posts

I donated a kidney to my daughter and she was able to go to Fenway through Make A Wish. Seeing her sitting on Terry's bench with Papi, Becket and Manny was something we'll never forget.

2nd place. Ted Williams tipping his cap to me in left when I was 6 years old.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Had so many hard to choose. The one I'm thinking about today, was game 7 in Yankee stadium in"04. The crowd was so quiet, and the look of dis-belief on the fans.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

My favorite moment, watching my son crush a bases loaded clearing double against his former travel team. The coach was horrible towards him. It was made sweeter because that same coach was still the head coach and his son was pitching.

My worst moment, getting off the bus and running home and seeing Yaz pop out to Graig Nettles.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Mine was in 1975 watching Luis Tiant against Jim Palmer battle it out on a September evening in which the sox won 2-0. Got box seats for $5. Watched Rico Petrocelli hit one over the green monster. Everyone in the stands chanting LUIEEE LUIEEE LUIEEE. 

worst watching the Red Sox last season totally go down the drain

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Many memories compete for the best....some with my Dad....some with my Sons...Baseball is like that.

Worst memory is singular....Game 6 1986, waking my 5 year old up to see the Sox win the WS.....TG 2004 took away some of the pain.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

It was September of 1975 and Chicago was in town. With the Sox in a pennant race they needed to complete every game or make it up at the end of the regular season. On Sunday my friend and I went to the game and we purchased centerfield bleacher seats the rain started almost at the same time as the game,and continued through till it ended. What was a mostly filled stadium at the beginning, ended up with maybe a couple of hundred at the end. My friend and I were totally soaked but we were happy because the hometown team won. My friend and I were the only ones left in the bleachers the last couple of innings, and I know the TV cameras were on us many times. One can only imagine what the announcers were saying about the 2 idiots sitting in the rain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Just after dark following league championship win, in the woods behind the O'Brien Little League field, Worcester MA (game pitched, incidentally by former Yankee Tanyon Sturtze).  In the glow of the winning the title, making out with my season-long crush Melissa (a surprise event, as she had acted too good for me all spring/summer).  Still in uniform (and you know I had my stirrups revealed and the arch of the sock showing just a little bit beneath the pants).  I felt really cool at that moment.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I have a tie for my best baseball memories.The first was bringing my daughter to her first game in 1986 with Clemens pitching a complete game 3 hitter against Seattle.

The second would be bringing my grandaughter to her first trip to Fenway in 2011. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In September of 1993 Jorge Posada had a cup of coffee with the Yankees AA affiliate at the time, the Albany Colonie Yankees.  I was going to the SUNY Albany Social Work school then, and happened to take in a game.  I asked for Jorge's autograph after the game, and he obliged.  But what was really surprising is that he stayed to talk for about 20 minutes and actually asked me some questions about social work school and the Albany area.  He was such a down to earth and unpretentious soul, and wished me good luck with my social work career as he was saying goodbye...The next year he was at Triple-A Columbus, but I never forgot his kindness and genuine warmth....Jorge, Jorge!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Seeger88's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My best baseball memory was seeing Dick Stuart or Dr. Strangeglove pick a hot dog wrapper out of the air that was blowing in the wind near his first base position and he got a standing ovation.

[/QUOTE]

Likely the best play Stuart ever made (He held the at the time Professional BB Record of 66 HRs in a season, yet the Pirates STILL didn't bring him up; his defense likely had something to do with it).

This thread seems to recur a few times a yr. The OP had a good story though; who would have thought Feller would play golf with Lonborg before he became Lonborg & Champagne?

Notable Games I've attended: Mantle's last multi HR game (OT Day, Yanks lost 3-2); the Seaver-Qualls near perfect game; the Harrelson-Rose fight, Murcer's (2nd) 3 Homer game, Dykstra's Walk-Off HR in '86 PS (Good player, lousy person), Games 6 (Buckner game) & 7 of the '86 Series, Henderson break's Brock's career SB record..

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Arnold Palmer and my favorite Gary Player. To hell with Jack Nicholas,

It's "Nicklaus", and the Big Three are all close friends and true gentlemen.

My favorite baseball memory was seeing Frank Howard hit the first MLB pop-up I ever saw, which went so high it appeared that it would enter outer space. A close second was seeing Willie Mays, boasting a 4 handicap, shank one off a bridge on his way to a score that no 4 handicap has ever shot as an adult golfer.

My favorite MLB baseball quote:

"If I was being paid $30,000 dollars a year, the very least I could do was hit .400."

[/QUOTE]

As a kid, I saw Howard in the old YS in '71 hit a towering 450 ft flyball (that was caught), which prompted the NYY announcer at the time (Bob Gamere) to say, "That ball came down with snow on it"

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.