My Best Baseball Memory..

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: My Best Baseball Memory..

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

As a kid, I saw Howard in the old YS in '71 hit a towering 450 ft flyball (that was caught), which prompted the NYY announcer at the time (Bob Gamere) to say, "That ball came down with snow on it"

I enjoy the fact that someone else saw the work of a man who is no longer part of the popular narrative of baseball history. I viewed him as the Paul Bunyan of baseball, wielding his giant axe.

It is truly arrogant for anyone to proclaim that "times are better now", "athletes are bigger and stronger and faster now", "people are more enlightened now".  In reality, it's man and history, and that never changes.

obviously some stars of the past are timeless.. but do you really think babe ruth would have put up all of those numbers if he was facing the best of the best today? let alone the best of his time (hitting the most HRs in a time where minorities were not allowed to play does not impress me). Do you think sandy koufax could have put up a 1.77 ERA today? we live in a time where physical training and nutritional knowledge are better than ever before. thats why we don't see superstars who are leaps and bounds better than the competition anymore because the playing field is much more level (especially with some sort of regulation on PEDs). transplant those players into todays MLB and its doubtful they would have numbers that are the same or better than in their own era.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun-1918's comment:

my worst memory was the last game of the 2011 season.... watching crawford muff the catch and then not 3 minutes later seeing longo win the game for the rays. makes me wanna throw up just thinking about it.. i don't think i talked to anyone for like 2 weeks after that.

i still think the yanks blew that game on purpose.. bringing in bag boys from the local wegmans to pitch

Why would the Yanks want the better team (rays) in the playoffs rather than the weaker team (bosox) who were in the midst of a serious slide?

the sox were 12-6 against the yanks for the season and CRUSHED (wait.... crushed doesn't do it enough justice) LAMBASTED CC all 4 times he faced the sox that season.

the yankees were a respectable 9-9 against the rays in 2011 and given the choice on a potential playoff matchup would have rather faced the rays instead of the red sox.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun-1918's comment:

the sox were 12-6 against the yanks for the season and CRUSHED (wait.... crushed doesn't do it enough justice) LAMBASTED CC all 4 times he faced the sox that season.

the yankees were a respectable 9-9 against the rays in 2011 and given the choice on a potential playoff matchup would have rather faced the rays instead of the red sox.

I disagree. You always want to face the weaker team, especially one with a much weaker staff and in the middle of playing terrible ball.

And the Yanks had taken 4 of the last 6 games against the sox that year.

in most cases you would be correct. but considering the rivalry and the fact that crazy sh!t tends to happen during sox/yankees series most fans would take a different team.

if i had to pick between the rays and yankees to play a 7 game post season series against i would pick the rays every time. even if the season series of sox/yanks was 1-17 or 17-1.

•  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Most fun time was probably RS/EE DH at Shea.  RS swept and basically knocked the NYY out of the playoffs.  There must've been 20-30 fights in the stands.  We were on the second level, near the foul pole.  One minute, the guy in front of us was dancing and spinning around the pole.  Looked up from my beer, and he's gone.  Sure enough, he's laying on the field 25 feet below us, dusting himself.  Then he jumped back into the stands.  Another belligerent drunk on the field, got the crap beat out of him in the dugout.

Worst #1-Cool October night at Shea-nuf said.

Worst #2-Afternoon 4th of July game at Yankee Stadium.  I think Righetti was pitching.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

The last game Dad and I saw together.

Early 2007, Dad had just mentioned that Pedroia was his favorite player.  He spent a few minutes expressing how much he appreciated the drive and energy that it took for this little guy to be so terrific.  Pedey was on the on deck circle.  Then he stepped up to the plate and drove the ball over the right/center fence.

• Sections
    Shortcuts