My Boston Red Sox 2013 Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: My Boston Red Sox 2013 Roster

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can only hope that Ben Cherington is not listening to most of this...other than adding Napoli to serve a 1B/DH/C role there has not been anything worth listening to here.

With their 1st draft pick protected, they can go and sign a top tier free agent, like Hamilton (which I do NOT advocate) if they desire, but I'd prefer they settle for just good hardnosed, non-superstar, type players and build a line-up with those.

Here are some names I'd be happy to see make it to Boston although none of them may be available:

• Mike Napoli
    • Alex Gordon
    • Carlos Gonzalez
    • Andre Ethier (they should have targeted him instead of Loney in the big trade)
    • Shin-Soo Choo
    • Corey Hart
    • Michael Morse
    • Dan Haren
    • Brandon McCarthy
    • Josh Johnson

One or more batters and a starting pitcher from these added to the core group of:

1. CF - Ellsbury (if not traded)
    2. 2B - Pedroia
    3. DH - Ortiz
    4. LF/RF - Ross (if signed)
    5. 3B - Middlebrooks
    6. SS- Iglesias (give the kid a full year and sacrifice offense from SS)
      *NOTE: If they could get an Andrus from Texas I'd be ok with that too.
    7. C - Salty/Lavarnway
    8. New 1B
    9. New LF/RF

Starters:

1. Lester
    2. Buchholz
    3. Lackey (lets hope he returns strong)
    4. Doubront
    5. New Starter

Bullpen (from this group):

1. Bailey
    2. Tazawa
    3. Miller
    4. Hill
    5. Breslow
    6. Melanson
    7. Padilla
    8. Bard (Lets not totally give up on him just yet)
    9. Achison
    10. Mortenson

Bench

1. Ciriaco
    2. Backup Catcher (from above)
    3. Loney (backup 1B and Defense)
    4. Left Handed hitting OF - Podsednik or Nava possibly.

[/QUOTE]

yours isn't worth listening either... So you only want new #5 SP for next season? good thinking.. and not to mention you are carrying 15 pitchers...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

if dan haren is let go he could be an interesting option if the angel dont pick up his option. Do I consider him an ace? no. He would be a good number 2. we still need to deal for an ace. But say we sign haren for 2 years plus a team option for a 3rd year at 12 mill per, and then go doubront plus other prospects for say josh johnson (i think he could be the sox big pitching target this offseason, king felix will not be moved), that would give us:

johnson

lester

haren

buchholz

lackey/de la rosa ( i hope we deal lackey and give de la rosa a shot)

pen

bailey

bard (give him his role back, build confidence)

melancon

breslow

hill

carpenter

tazawa (long man as aceves is likely gone)

Now offense is going to be quite the challenge, but here goes nothing

ellsbury (yes he is staying put, thats why we got rid of crawford)

pedroia

upton (justin not bj, his value is done, could be had at a more reasonable price and is still young 24 i believe)

middlebrooks

ortiz (he will be back, give him 2 years, 12 per)

napoli (he will play 1B, forget james loney)

ross/kalish

lavarnway/salty ( i prefer lava)

iglesias ( we need his defense and he will hit better)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Manager: Demarlo Hale

Alex Gordon LF

Pedrioa 2B

Ortiz DH

Ross RF/CF

Kendry Morales 1B

Middlebrooks 3B

Ryan Kalish/Bryce Brentz CF/RF

Salty/Lavarnway C

Iglesias SS

Bench: Ciriaco,Brentz,Gomez,Nava

Jake Peavy RH

Lester LH

Buchholz RH

Doubront LH

Lackey/ De la Rosa RH

Bullpen: Bailey,F. Morales, Tazawa, A. Miller, Melancon, Mortenson,

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yours isn't worth listening either... So you only want new #5 SP for next season? good thinking.. and not to mention you are carrying 15 pitchers...

[/QUOTE]

OK thats your opinion...and if you read it fully I said that the bullpen would be represented from among the list of names...not all of them!

Also, I did not specify that it was a #5 starter, just one of the 5 in the rotation...and Yes I believe only one decent starter from outside the organization is needed...as I'm willing to let Lester, Buccholz, Lackey and Doubront make up 4/5th of the rotation...I also forgot to include Franklin Morales in my possible pitching staff as he'd be a decent option as 6th starter from the bullpen.

There appears to be some decent tradable talent in the Sox bullpen now that can be used to acquire players of need....obviously not all of these guys can make the team.

So seanny, you are saying you'd have no interest in seeing any of the players I referenced be acquired by the Sox to fill their current line-up/pitching needs?? You'd rather Lincecom??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

WEEI columnist Alex Speier examines Jacoby Ellsbury's career:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2012/10/01/making-sense-jacoby-ellsburys-enigmatic-career/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Is anyone concerned about the .217/.250/.272/.522 line Pedro Ciriaco posted in 99 plate appearances in September or the slightly negative UZR numbers the 27-year-old minor league veteran has posted at shortstop and third base this season?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5278&position=3B#fieldingadvanced

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Southpaw--there is currently 0 pressure on Mel--other than Taz who is pitching well? you could make a case for Buch. No one is getting any run support.

In the off season I would explore the following FA starters:

Sanchez, Marcum, Villanueva, Jackson, Floyd, Dempster.

I would look at these two FA catchers: Iannetta and Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

How about that for pressure last night with Melancon, MM? He appears more aggressive out there and in an interview I read with him he say hes adopted a more "firey" attitude while on the mound. He did well in Houston and has always had good stuff. I think it was just a matter of mental toughness...

“90% of the game is half mental.”

Coming into the bottom of the 9th, with one out bases loaded, at Yankee Stadium in a tied game after the closer blew a 3-1 lead and the Yankees having the momentum...Melancon couldnt ask for a more pressure filled situation other than it being the playoffs or world series, and he shut them down. This, Im sure, has done wonders for his confidence leading into next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is anyone concerned about the .217/.250/.272/.522 line Pedro Ciriaco posted in 99 plate appearances in September or the slightly negative UZR numbers the 27-year-old minor league veteran has posted at shortstop and third base this season?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5278&position=3B#fieldingadvanced

[/QUOTE]

Ive said hes nothing more than a UI...Play him in enough consecutive games and he would be exposed. Theres a reason why most guys who are 27-28 and havent broke into MLB on a fulltime basis yet...Ciricao and Gomez are 2 of them IMO...