My man Lucciano's indicates that IGGY has a gooood chance to open up at SS, can you believe it!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: My man Lucciano's indicates that IGGY has a gooood chance to open up at SS, can you believe it!!!

In Response to Re: My man Lucciano's indicates that IGGY has a gooood chance to open up at SS, can you believe it!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My man Lucciano's indicates that IGGY has a gooood chance to open up at SS, can you believe it!!! : well in this case who is Iggy's competition? two journeymen backups? Of course he's the main guy - we didnt get rid of marco to put someone else in SS that was weaker defensively and offensively, did we?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Iggy's competition is only Aviles.  Aviles should provide a similar/better performance than Scutaro for a fraction of the price, that's (probably, none of us really know) why Scutaro was traded.

I hope Iggy can hit enough to play.  But people are making assumptions about his batting development based on absurdly small sample sizes....and in the first few games of ST when he's not exactly facing top pitchers in mid-season shape.  It's just silly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: My man Lucciano's indicates that IGGY has a gooood chance to open up at SS, can you believe it!!!

aviles and scutaro are both decent hitters...can aviles do it regularly if he started, and what about his defense...
    with those questions in mind i think you have to go with the sure fielder and give him his at bats to develop his hitting

iggy starts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: My man Lucciano's indicates that IGGY has a gooood chance to open up at SS, can you believe it!!!:
    [QUOTE]Before the year is over, we might see Shoppach, Punto & Sweeney replaced by Lavarnway, Iglesias & Kalish.  But these players have minor-league options left, need to play every day, and have more yet to learn.  We don't know what injuries await the 2012 Boston Red Sox, or who will be forcing the team's hand by destroying minor-league pitching.  Handcuffing ourselves by unnecessarily cutting a player right out of the box is not a sensible move for the team.  Aviles should be our starting SS.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Well said slomag.  If nothing else, these guys provide depth for the team should the team sustain a major injury at one of those positions.  Why get rid of a player who should be very serviceable?   If Aviles gets injured, Iglesias can be called up and we still have Punto.   If Iglesias starts the season at SS and gets seriously injured, then what?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]aviles and scutaro are both decent hitters...can aviles do it regularly if he started, and what about his defense... with those questions in mind i think you have to go with the sure fielder and give him his at bats to develop his hitting iggy starts
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's clear cut either way. 

Do the usual player control timelines apply to Iggy i.e. 3 years pre-arb, 3 years arb, then FA?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Hiyas Zac. Yes the onfield battles are soon to begin! While I expect you guys to win the division fairly easily, I expect us to rough you up a bit here and there. But I'm on record here pointing out that behemoth that is Detroit this season. Be afraid my friend...be very afraid. Barring catastrophic injuries, they'll beat us both like children and I see a ring in their future. As for your suggestions for Bill...couldn't agree more! It's always nice to be able to see the cut and posted referenced portion, with a link to the whole article if a reader was interested in it. I'm sure Bill's dad would heartily agree! 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My man Lucciano's indicates that IGGY has a gooood chance to open up at SS, can you believe it!!! : [QUOTE]I think our little Yankee loving friend is on to something Bill. Lazy folks like myself always appreciate convenience! :o) In Response to Re: My man Lucciano's indicates that IGGY has a gooood chance to open up at SS, can you believe it!!! : Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE ] greetings Teakus good times coming soon but while we R on the subject  IMO the perfect thread start of this type includes the link a C&P of the part that most interests the OP followed by a comment
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ok,   Can't deny that I would love to see the kid play at SS.  His fielding speaks for itself, & he would clearly play at a very high level in short time.

The BIG question is......   How does RSN respond when the kid is hitting a buck 75 & killing rallies left & right at the plate.  I would love to think the kid will learn on the fly, but NOTHING in his minor league experience tells me he will suddenly start hitting.  We need to get real!  If this kid can't even hit his body weight down on the farm, how is he going to improve in the bigs???  I think the fish bowl at Fenway could crush the kid?  Will he flash the leather at SS???  Of COURSE!  We'll love his play in the field, but can he deal with getting constantly booed at the plate, & how might that effect his fielding?

Having said all that.  I love the.kids game!  gotta be able to hit the broad side of that metaphorical barn though.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Aviles isn't an everday SS, defensively. He's a utility player, and will remain that kind of performance player his entire career. He's a butcher, compared to a good MLB defensive SS. He also is not a good overall PA over the big sample.

I'd still prefer to see him in AAA until mid May to get an extra year before he hits FA.

I prefer to have a top defensive SS to help win games in April and the first half of May. The Red Sox can afford the small contract that Iglesias will get in FA, compared to the silly and embarrassing contracts for a Crawford and a Craford begging contract seeking Ellsbury. The difference is the Red Sox need a true young defensive SS, while they arleady foolishly spent the farm and are married to Crawford for life.

It's about winning baseball games, for a half a billion dollar 3 year payroll team. Holding Iglesias for reasons of saving a year under CBA FA bean counting is utterly absurd as a basis for a decision.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles isn't an everday SS, defensively. He's a utility player, and will remain that kind of performance player his entire career. He's a butcher, compared to a good MLB defensive SS. He also is not a good overall PA over the big sample. I'd still prefer to see him in AAA until mid May to get an extra year before he hits FA. I prefer to have a top defensive SS to help win games in April and the first half of May. The Red Sox can afford the small contract that Iglesias will get in FA, compared to the silly and embarrassing contracts for a Crawford and a Craford begging contract seeking Ellsbury. The difference is the Red Sox need a true young defensive SS, while they arleady foolishly spent the farm and are married to Crawford for life. It's about winning baseball games, for a half a billion dollar 3 year payroll team. Holding Iglesias for reasons of saving a year under CBA FA bean counting is utterly absurd as a basis for a decision.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE] I concur.... Bobby V. will play the best players available....  Iggy, will be the SS....

Sections
Shortcuts