My only wish this season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

My only wish this season

My only wish for this season would be that on those last theee games of the season against the Yankees is that we ruin their season for the playoffs and pull them into the graveve with us. I was never so tortured at the end of the season when the Red Sox blew the month of September and missed the playoffs. I would love if we could add the Yankees to the list of biggest chokes in the month of September to miss the playoffs as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: My only wish this season

Actually, it started in July, & before I even open this thread I knew that was the topic. It may be academic at that point however, the NYY should most likely be toast by then; they're old, slow, & arrogant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Actually, it started in July, & before I even open this thread I knew that was the topic. It may be academic at that point however, the NYY should most likely be toast by then; they're old, slow, & arrogant.

On July 19, they were 57-34 with a 10-game lead.  They are 19-25 since.  Injuries alway play a part, but it is difficult to figure out what drives a team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On July 19, they were 57-34 with a 10-game lead.  They are 19-25 since.  Injuries alway play a part, but it is difficult to figure out what drives a team.

[/QUOTE]
    Ho. You long ago "figured out" what drove the Red Sox into the ground.
    Ah, Joe, hoist by your own petard. Again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Ho. You long ago "figured out" what drove the Red Sox into the ground.
    Ah, Joe, hoist by your own petard. Again.

The root of what drove the Red Sox into the ground is a series of poor judgements by Theo Epstein. While he did well, especially in developing minor league players, in his first several years here, since 2007 he fell off the cliff. I hold him mostly accountable for the state of the state. He was given a very free hand in making decisions for the club, and the owners loved him. Though he is still felt to be one of the "top five GMs" in the business, his track record since 07 does not support that opinion. He screwed us, plain and simple, then he bolted for Chicago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

But on the bright side for Sox fans...  Joe Girardi might be available...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to AL34 comment:

My only wish for this season would be that on those last theee games of the season against the Yankees is that we ruin their season for the playoffs and pull them into the graveve with us. I was never so tortured at the end of the season when the Red Sox blew the month of September and missed the playoffs. I would love if we could add the Yankees to the list of biggest chokes in the month of September to miss the playoffs as well.

...pull them into the grave with us. LOL kinda dark and scary, but I get the sentiment.

I truly believe they threw the games to keep us out of it last season, so I'm hoping we can return the favor. I would like nothing more than, in anyway possible, to keep them out of it. Karma IMO. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Absolutely they threw the games last season. If you heard Michael Kay do the announcing in that game last year, it was totally rediculous. They brought AJ Burnett in to face one batter then left rookies in to face the Tampa Bay team. I hope they choke this year this month.

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

...pull them into the grave with us. LOL kinda dark and scary, but I get the sentiment.

I truly believe they threw the games to keep us out of it last season, so I'm hoping we can return the favor. I would like nothing more than, in anyway possible, to keep them out of it. Karma IMO. 

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Complacency and the "I" factor get the better of the teams that are arrogant.
    Unselfishness and humility are key to winning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Absolutely they threw the games last season. If you heard Michael Kay do the announcing in that game last year, it was totally rediculous. They brought AJ Burnett in to face one batter then left rookies in to face the Tampa Bay team. I hope they choke this year this month.

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What comes around, goes around. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The interesting thing is that to some extent the two teams struggle with similar issues - overinvestment in bad "big name" free agent signings that have bogged down the team with older players who can't ball. 

This is kind of a "steroid era" hangover as the older guys aren't big boppers anymore. Speed, youth, and a well developed farm system are all way more important. 

The big difference is that the Yanks spent better on quality free agent pitching to supplement their own talent. We overspent on the wrong pitchers, so we're quite a bit worse than the Yanks at the moment as a result. But, both teams are similar. Money isn't quite the advantage it was in baseball, though I'd argue that money well spent, heavily invested in scouting and farm talent, can definitely pay off, but you have to play the long game and resist the temptation to sign a celebrity to appease the fans. 

On the other hand giving Bill James a raise and scouring the league for nickels that just need some polishing is not going to be a big step forward for us....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

That said it's always awesome to see the Yanks miss the playoffs though even better to have them make it only to get swept out by a low payroll team like the Rays...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

The interesting thing is that to some extent the two teams struggle with similar issues - overinvestment in bad "big name" free agent signings that have bogged down the team with older players who can't ball. 

This is kind of a "steroid era" hangover as the older guys aren't big boppers anymore. Speed, youth, and a well developed farm system are all way more important. 

The big difference is that the Yanks spent better on quality free agent pitching to supplement their own talent. We overspent on the wrong pitchers, so we're quite a bit worse than the Yanks at the moment as a result. But, both teams are similar. Money isn't quite the advantage it was in baseball, though I'd argue that money well spent, heavily invested in scouting and farm talent, can definitely pay off, but you have to play the long game and resist the temptation to sign a celebrity to appease the fans. 

On the other hand giving Bill James a raise and scouring the league for nickels that just need some polishing is not going to be a big step forward for us....

Well written, as usual for you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That said it's always awesome to see the Yanks miss the playoffs though even better to have them make it only to get swept out by a low payroll team like the Rays...

Awesome as it is to see the Yanks fall...it is more pitiful to have to watch the Sox year after year with the payroll they have...not even finish above a team like the Rays...or even sniff the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts