My plan for offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

My plan for offseason

Step 1. Re-sign Ortiz and Ross - no-brainers there.

Step 2. Trade Ellsbury to Texas for Holland - there is a rumor going around that the Rangers have offered this trade and Cherry is seriously considering it. I would go for it.

Step 3. Sign Haren and/or Peavy - WE NEED MORE PITCHING. Nuff said.

Step 4. Find a way to trade for Ike Davis - just the power we need. The Mets are apparently upset with his partying, and have Lucas Duda waiting in the wings. We can afford to trade Doubront in this trade because we already got Holland.

Step 5. Sign Hunter - the Angels apparently will give him a chance to explore the open market, and if we can get him on a 1 or 2 year deal worth like 8-10 mil, that's a no-brainer.

Step 6. Sign/trade for an RF for platooning - Jonny Gomes or Scott Hairston may work. Have an open competition for platooning (Nava, Kalish, Linares, even Bradley?).

Step 7. Fill out bullpen/bench - reclamation projects and older vets. Shutdown setup man prioritized. Trade Aceves ASAP. Has value. Clubhouse cancer.

Ideal roster

1. Ciriaco/Iggy (Bogaerts midseason)

2. Pedroia

3. Ortiz

4. Davis

5. Middlebrooks

6. Ross

7. Hunter

8. Salty/Lavarnway

9. Gomes/Nava (Bradley midseason)

Salty/Lavarnway

Ciriaco/Iggy

Gomes/Nava

Kalish

1. Buchholz

2. Peavy

3. Lester

4. Holland

5. Morales/Lackey (Yes, I know...) - De La Rosa midseason

Tazawa

Atchison

Bard

Mortensen

Morales/Lackey

Reliever X

CL - Bailey

(Miller traded for Davis)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Re: My plan for offseason

We would have to offer a lot more than Doubront to get Ike Davis. The Mets need Outfielders and Offense in the worst way and would not accept a #4/#5 Starter in exchange for their top power hitter. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

I don't like the SP moves, at all. However, nice job in being specific with what your plans are. We have a poster named Moonswemp who simply whines about pitching every year and just throws out ever changing pool of various names.

More lies....

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

We would have to offer a lot more than Doubront to get Ike Davis. The Mets need Outfielders and Offense in the worst way and would not accept a #4/#5 Starter in exchange for their top power hitter. 

I wasn't implying that we would trade Doubby and Miller straight-up for Davis. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. A more reasonable proposal would be Davis for Doubby, Miller, Garin Ceccini, Brandon Jacobs, and maybe Brentz or Britton.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

I wasn't implying that we would trade Doubby and Miller straight-up for Davis. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. A more reasonable proposal would be Davis for Doubby, Miller, Garin Ceccini, Brandon Jacobs, and maybe Brentz or Britton.

Nothing to apologize for bGomez.  However, while Doubby and Miller for Davis might not get the job done I don't think we have to go that far to get Ike.  I mean Cecchini, Jacobs, Brentz, pls Doubby?  I think that might be a price too high IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think you would have to use someone other than 3b Garin Cecchini because of Wright at 3b.

The Mets have stated that they want bullpen help and some offense.

Maybe a deal like Sox ML pitcher of the year, 24 yr old Brandon Workman (a sell high candidate)

Juan Carlos Linares, Frank Montas and Brandon Jacobs. Maybe even add Alex Wilson to the deal.

Some will say that is not enough, but thats where I would start.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think you would have to use someone other than 3b Garin Cecchini because of Wright at 3b.

Maybe a deal like Sox ML pitcher of the year, 24 yr old Brandon Workman (a sell high candidate)

Juan Carlos Linares, Frank Montas and Brandon Jacobs. Maybe even add Alex Wilson to the deal.

A good rule of the thumb is a team wll take the best prospect they can get.  Prospects are like cash i some ways, and good ones will appeal to all 30 teams.  So if they cannot use Cecchini and need, say, a 1B, they can still deal Cecchini, and will find none of the other 29 team bowing out becuase he is overpriced...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

A good rule of the thumb is a team wll take the best prospect they can get.  Prospects are like cash i some ways, and good ones will appeal to all 30 teams.  So if they cannot use Cecchini and need, say, a 1B, they can still deal Cecchini, and will find none of the other 29 team bowing out becuase he is overpriced...

I agree they could turn around and flip Cecchini as well...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Moonshwemp=Calzone65=Pike

First time I've heard that. You're right about Calzone65, but moon is moon. Interestingly pike/Calzone65/Yonkersman has said moonslav=TrotterNixon=softlaw.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Moonshwemp=Calzone65=Pike

First time I've heard that. You're right about Calzone65, but moon is moon. Interestingly pike/Calzone65/Yonkersman has said moonslav=TrotterNixon=softlaw.

Maybe they are all the same person and have us all fooled...lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...nah, neither the good Moonslav nor the evil Softlaw is stupid, unlike the Pike/Calzone/Fenway Jimmy/Yonkersman/ad nauseum fool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

...nah, neither the good Moonslav nor the evil Softlaw is stupid, unlike the Pike/Calzone/Fenway Jimmy/Yonkersman/ad nauseum fool.

just a bit of sarcasm SLMV...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Anyway Garin Cecchini's bro Gavin is on da Mets.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

If you view Holland as your #4 starter, you don't give up Ellsbury for him.

I'd rather trade Ellsbury for prospects, but if they are dead set on getting a major leaguer, I'd try to work a 3-team deal to get Trumbo to Boston.  I doubt the Angels have interest in Ellsbury with Trout in CF, hence the need for a third team. 

I could find a taker, I'd try to trade Sweeney, Aceves, and Ciriaco. Prospects would be the return, just flier type guys.

That eliminates the need for Ike Davis.  If the Angels moved Trumbo, they'd probably keep Hunter, so my two OF targets would be Victorino and Bourn.  Both on very short term deals. 

I'd definitely re-sign Ross and Ortiz.

Pitching-wise, I'd definitely go after Haren, Sanchez and Peavy, ideally landing two of the three.  Pair them with Lester, Buchholz, and Doubront, with Lackey as an option, but not a guy you are depending on. 

Bourn
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Trumbo
    Saltalamacchia
    Middlebrooks
    Ross
    Victorino
    Iglesias

Lavarnway
    Sands
    Kalish
    De Jesus

Lester
    Buchholz
    Sanchez
    Haren
    Doubront

Lackey
    Miller/Hill
    Bard
    Morales
    Melancon
    Tazawa
    Bailey

In the next two years, you have Bradley, Bogaerts, Barnes, Webster, De La Rosa, Brentz, Britton, Workman, and Wilson coming up.  In the following two years, you have Cecchini, Swihart, Marrero, Coyle, Shaw, Owens, Ranaudo, and Johnson. 

Constant influx of talent, and that would only get better as you are drafting #7 this year, and that will trickle down in each round, drafting at the top, instead of mid to late round.

As an added bonus, by signing the free agents to short term deals, when you have prospects ready to step in, the older guys will either be in the last year of their deals or they will be free agents.  So you won't run into a situation where you have better talent being blocked by a big contract. 

One closing thought, Trumbo is an ideal trade target, because he's young and under team control for a while, AND he fills a position of need, both currently and in your system.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

What kind of deal do you guys think it would take to get trumbo?

If it was a 3 team deal, who is the other team and what players are involved?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In response to Skadude22's comment:

I'd rather trade Ellsbury for prospects, but if they are dead set on getting a major leaguer, I'd try to work a 3-team deal to get Trumbo to Boston.  I doubt the Angels have interest in Ellsbury with Trout in CF, hence the need for a third team. 

I could find a taker, I'd try to trade Sweeney, Aceves, and Ciriaco. Prospects would be the return, just flier type guys.

That eliminates the need for Ike Davis.  If the Angels moved Trumbo, they'd probably keep Hunter, so my two OF targets would be Victorino and Bourn.  Both on very short term deals. 

Pitching-wise, I'd definitely go after Haren, Sanchez and Peavy, ideally landing two of the three.  Pair them with Lester, Buchholz, and Doubront, with Lackey as an option, but not a guy you are depending on. 

Bourn
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Trumbo
    Saltalamacchia
    Middlebrooks
    Ross
    Victorino
    Iglesias

Lavarnway
    Sands
    Kalish
    De Jesus

Lester
    Buchholz
    Sanchez
    Haren
    Doubront

Lackey
    Miller/Hill
    Bard
    Morales
    Melancon
    Tazawa
    Bailey

In the next two years, you have Bradley, Bogaerts, Barnes, Webster, De La Rosa, Brentz, Britton, Workman, and Wilson coming up.  In the following two years, you have Cecchini, Swihart, Marrero, Coyle, Shaw, Owens, Ranaudo, and Johnson. 

Constant influx of talent, and that would only get better as you are drafting #7 this year, and that will trickle down in each round, drafting at the top, instead of mid to late round.

As an added bonus, by signing the free agents to short term deals, when you have prospects ready to step in, the older guys will either be in the last year of their deals or they will be free agents.  So you won't run into a situation where you have better talent being blocked by a big contract. 

One closing thought, Trumbo is an ideal trade target, because he's young and under team control for a while, AND he fills a position of need, both currently and in your system.

Trumbo doesn't necessarily eliminate the need for Davis. Trumbo can play LF and RF and the Sox could find space for Davis. I DON'T HAVE A MAN CRUSH ON DAVIS. I'm just sayin'. We still would need a CF, and as you said, if the Halos traded Trumbo, they would most likely keep Hunter. I would sign Angel Pagan as a backup option. What about Otani? There is also this guy from Korea that's getting posted. We should dip into the international market.

Bourn
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Trumbo
    Saltalamacchia
    Middlebrooks
    Ross
    Victorino
    Iglesias

Lavarnway
    Sands
    Kalish
    De Jesus

Lester
    Buchholz
    Sanchez
    Haren
    Doubront

Lackey
    Miller/Hill
    Bard
    Morales
    Melancon
    Tazawa
    Bailey

Trumbo doesn't necessarily eliminate the need for Davis. Trumbo can play LF and RF and the Sox could find space for Davis. I DON'T HAVE A MAN CRUSH ON DAVIS. I'm just sayin'. We still would need a CF, and as you said, if the Halos traded Trumbo, they would most likely keep Hunter. I would sign Angel Pagan as a backup option. What about Otani? There is also this guy from Korea that's getting posted. We should dip into the international market.

My preference would be to fill as many holes on the team through free agency, on short term deals, to maintain as much of the farm system as possible.  That's why if we could trade for Trumbo, I'd go after Bourn and Victorino on short term deals.  I don't know enough about either of the asian pitchers that you mentioned to say one or another, but it's definitely worth looking into.  That being said, you have to be pretty certain about those guys, since I believe they count against your IFA spending cap, which would take you out of the running for other big international free agents.  Again, not advising against it, just saying you need to be certain.

I've been wondering the same thing, but I'd like to think that the return for Ellsbury would go a long way towards building a package for Trumbo.

Bourn
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Trumbo
    Saltalamacchia
    Middlebrooks
    Ross
    Victorino
    Iglesias

Lavarnway
    Sands
    Kalish
    De Jesus

Lester
    Buchholz
    Sanchez
    Haren
    Doubront

Lackey
    Miller/Hill
    Bard
    Morales
    Melancon
    Tazawa
    Bailey

My preference would be to fill as many holes on the team through free agency, on short term deals, to maintain as much of the farm system as possible.  That's why if we could trade for Trumbo, I'd go after Bourn and Victorino on short term deals.  I don't know enough about either of the asian pitchers that you mentioned to say one or another, but it's definitely worth looking into.  That being said, you have to be pretty certain about those guys, since I believe they count against your IFA spending cap, which would take you out of the running for other big international free agents.  Again, not advising against it, just saying you need to be certain.

I think Bourn will get a 4+ year contract from someone. A guy like Victorino, who had a down year, could possibly benefit from a 1yr deal to up his value. Either way i think SV will require less years and $$ than Bourn.

I've been wondering the same thing, but I'd like to think that the return for Ellsbury would go a long way towards building a package for Trumbo.

We would have to aquire players that the LAA have a need for. Im not sure what their needs are, but the Sox would have to give something up as far as prospects in any deal to get Trumbo IMO.

• Sections
    Shortcuts