My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox

I start him there..I want him to be as comfortable as possible..If he fails, move him to 9...He did very well in the 2 spot in TB for years...But if he has even close to another year like this one, I look to move him after 2012..Personally, I dont know if he has the makeup to play in the boston market..Its different to play 81 games in boston compared to 9 a year...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In Response to Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox:
    [QUOTE]But his career OBP is only .333 I don't think he will ever go over .350 again Based on what he did last year, .325 would be a nice improvement Are you sure you still want him batting 2nd?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

i can see you don't like crawford at all...seems you don't even want to give him a chance....so why should people even talk to you...seems like you made up your mind already.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No, I made up my mind after a complete season and after witnessing one of the biggest train wrecks I have seen over 35 years of following baseball.......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Rutland - well, I always supported Jake...

I did however, despise Drew and we all saw how that ended....I feel relatively comfortable about Crawford.  In fact, I think he will be worse than Drew.  At least Drew could play a decent OF and at least he had some pop. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]No, I made up my mind after a complete season and after witnessing one of the biggest train wrecks I have seen over 35 years of following baseball.......

and you blame that train wreck on crawford? if you do then you are the bonehead you are making yourself look like....and your plan is horrible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox : and you blame that train wreck on crawford? if you do then you are the bonehead you are making yourself look like....and your plan is horrible.
    Posted by raider3524[/QUOTE]

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, once, regarding the insult before I place you on ignore.

RE:  the content of your post....your content is confusing.

If you are saying it is Theo's fault for Crawford then (1) Theo is gone  and (2) does it matter that Theo signed him?  The fact is that he is here now and what can you do to rectify if.

Or, are you suggesting that the train wreck wasn't Crawford's fault?

By the way, just saying something is "horrible" without providing rationale is well, the very essence of "bonehead"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Only time will tell...I could be off-base here but I am not suggesting anything too drastic and without grounding so it's a fairly conserative approach......We can revisit this in 365 days......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Shupe - how many RBI will Pedey, Jake and Gonzo have if the lead-off hitter has an OBP under .300 ?

I think spreading him all over the place was a bad plan.  I liked Crawford signing and at least he cares and stays in top shape.  I believe he will bounce back to his normal numbers.  He has to hit either 1 or 2. 
    I personally am very skeptical that Jacoby just had his career year as well so batting him 3rd might be a stretch.  I could also live with Jacoby/CC/Pedey/Agon
    But those 4 must be in the top 4 next year. 

Granderson is a good player and he finally adjusted in NY. Its not always easy going into the frying pan.  I believe both are good people that care and I think CC comes back. 

I can understand why a lot dont like him.  I personally will give him another chance before I make my mind up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

andrewmitch instigates.... even before this year started he was critical of things....and if you want I gladly accept your ignore sir.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox : I think spreading him all over the place was a bad plan.  I liked Crawford signing and at least he cares and stays in top shape.  I believe he will bounce back to his normal numbers.  He has to hit either 1 or 2.  I personally am very skeptical that Jacoby just had his career year as well so batting him 3rd might be a stretch.  I could also live with Jacoby/CC/Pedey/Agon But those 4 must be in the top 4 next year.  Granderson is a good player and he finally adjusted in NY. Its not always easy going into the frying pan.  I believe both are good people that care and I think CC comes back.  I can understand why a lot dont like him.  I personally will give him another chance before I make my mind up.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I liked Crawford too but not at that price and I still would have been wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox : I liked Crawford too but not at that price and I still would have been wrong.

No argument from me on overpaying.  Thats why I wanna just look at good honest ball players this off season.  No stars needed.  Honest hard working ball players.  I couldnt name St. Louis starting 8 as the playoffs began. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox : No argument from me on overpaying.  Thats why I wanna just look at good honest ball players this off season.  No stars needed.  Honest hard working ball players.  I couldnt name St. Louis starting 8 as the playoffs began. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE] I agree Get some guys who will run out ground balls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Like the Billy Muellars of the world!  I agree

But you didn't see me try and add a star position player - pretty much the same starting line up but LF and RF.....RF is an internal min wage guy and LF was swapping one bad contract for another....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti. Show javaukti's posts

Does anybody know if the Red Sox have insurance on Lackey? I assume they do. If so it is very convenient that he is out for a whole season. Just sayin'. The Sox can put the insurance $$$ to good payroll use: a 6th starter (Webb) to keep in the minors, a couple of hit-or-miss BP signings...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

First things first, it would be a good idea to re-up Papi for 2/20. Make a reasonable offer to Paps, like 3/35, but he will probably decline and have the Phillies overpay for him. Sign a guy like Ryan Madson for the bullpen, with Bard as the closer. Sign a guy like Jackson and make runs on Wilson and Sabathia to drive their prices up. Maybe go with Aceves for 5th starter? Also sign Cuddyer if Reddick/Kalish aren't ready. If so, use one of them as trade bait, preferably Reddick. Explore trading Youk at the trade deadline if he's having a decent year. Re-up Scutty and use Lowrie as potential trade bait. Non-tender Albers.

Lineup:

Ellsbury
    Crawford
    Pedroia
    Gonzo
    Papi
    Youk
    Cuddyer
    Salty
    Scutaro

Bench:

Lavarnway
    Lowrie
    Aviles
    Reddick/Kalish

Rotation:

Lester
    Beckett
    Buchholz
    Jackson
    Aceves

Bullpen:

Madson
    Jenks
    Doubront/Weiland
    Morales
    Bard
    FA Signing
    FA Signing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

not bad but i can't get past Crawford batting 2nd

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox : When you can be critical of someone without insulting them, I'll take you off of INGORE.

OK, Nancy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox : OK, Nancy.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

i 2nd that....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

1.  Vernon Wells is a step down from the wrost Carl Crawford can do.  Why do you think Wells is suddently going to be magic?  Saving all the money after you already took luxury tax payments for the GM makes you look like a greedy owner who cares more about yuor cash than winning.  SCROOGE!!!

Your trades are weak.  Even our garbage is unlikely to net a pitcher as crappy as Sanchez.  Aim low and don't pay enough?

Bell might cost as much as Papelbon.  I wouldn't assume he will be cheaper.  In fat, he might wait for Papelbon to sign just to set the bar...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Vernon Wells would hit 30 HR w/ the Sox.  And he can play "D"; Crawford can not.  How is that a step down?  Neither guy is going to be an on-base machine......

Don't the Sox deserve compensation?  They don't have to let Theo out of his contract.  I set the amount equal to the tax b/c for the Sox to be competitive next year they will have to go over the threshold; and that was Theo's fault. 

Sanchez has great stuff.  Giants need a first baseman and an IF'er who can hit plus they are going to lose a few of their bull pen arms via free agency.  Sanchez is due for a big raise and the Giants may want to put the money elsewhere.  Right or wrong, that was the rationale there.

We'll have to see if Bell gets more than Paps but I highly doubt it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Vernon Wells would hit 30 HR w/ the Sox.  And he can play "D"; Crawford can not.  How is that a step down?  Neither guy is going to be an on-base machine...... Don't the Sox deserve compensation?  They don't have to let Theo out of his contract.  I set the amount equal to the tax b/c for the Sox to be competitive next year they will have to go over the threshold; and that was Theo's fault.  Sanchez has great stuff.  Giants need a first baseman and an IF'er who can hit plus they are going to lose a few of their bull pen arms via free agency.  Sanchez is due for a big raise and the Giants may want to put the money elsewhere.  Right or wrong, that was the rationale there. We'll have to see if Bell gets more than Paps but I highly doubt it.

Wells would not hit 30HR with Boston.  The dude is a flaw out awful player who "D" is greatly overrated by pweople who only count Gold Glove awards.  He's not a good defender, and he isn't the player Crawford is.

I was saying you would look like a greedy owner because 1) you took cash compensation over player compensation, and 2) you traded for Wells to save $$$, which is the only reason any sane human ever would.

As for Sanchez, he is simply not a good pitcher.  I'm sure they will trade him, but I also doubt the Sox package you offered was a very enticing one for any SP.  I'm not sure if Lowrie qualifies as being able to hit, and simply saying "they need a 1B" as a reason they will want Anderson is a stretch.  You don't think thye could find a better one?  Heck, their own Brandon Belt would qualify...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]When you get a grasp on reality, let me know. Wells is 33 years old. Wells had a .248 OBP and .663 OPS. His career OPS is .792, and he is declining. And you want to pay 27M for 3 years (7M a year more than Crawford) for an older and inferior player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See if Ellsbury (ie Boras) would take a 75 million dollar extension and structure the money to give him big raises over the period of the contract and incentive laden options for more years at big $   Are you 7 years old?  Wells and 7M more a year is focusing on the farm!!!!
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Smells like abusive ad hominem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox:
    [QUOTE]Free Agent Targets for the Pen:   Matt Capps and Javier Lopez     Pen Could be :     Papelbon Bard Aceves Morales L Capps J Lopez L 1 spot open for a Rookie to win a job in Spring Training ...
    The San Francisco Giants reportedly have re-signed lefty Javier Lopez to a two-year, $8.5 million contract:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7171007/javier-lopez-san-francisco-giants-agrees-new-2-year-deal

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]I think he can rebound to his career #'s AM..I give him 2012 to prove he can...I also bat him in his natural 2nd spot and see what happens...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
    I'm curious, what does natural 2nd spot mean? Is the strike zone smaller when you bat 2nd? No matter where he bats, the pitcher still throws from 60 feet 6 inches and the bases are 90 feet apart and homeplate is in the same place. He is not selective enough to ever bat 2nd.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]Does anybody know if the Red Sox have insurance on Lackey? I assume they do. If so it is very convenient that he is out for a whole season. Just sayin'. The Sox can put the insurance $$$ to good payroll use: a 6th starter (Webb) to keep in the minors, a couple of hit-or-miss BP signings...
    Posted by javaukti[/QUOTE]
    I believe if he goes on the 60 day they will be covered. Also, it bring his AAV down to 13 from 18.5 because of the extra year on his contract at league minimum, which gives the Sox close to 6 to spend this year.