My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox

New Manager - Don Baylor

Compensation for Theo:  Should be an amount equal to the luxury tax that we will need to pay now due to his Crawford signing and Lackey now out

Lackey:  I would have put Lackey on waivers but now he’s not a concern; just do not allow him to travel with the team

Trade #1: Crawford and $21 million to LA for Vernon Wells (Sox get wells for 3/$62 and LA gets Crawford for 6/$99)

Trade #2:  Lowrie, Bobby Jenks, Michael Bowden and Lars Anderson to the Giants for Jonathan Sanchez…Back-Up Plan would be to sign Mark Buehrle. 

Resign Papelbon for 3 years/46 million....if he refuses then screw him and go after Bell for a lot less (2 years/25 million) or let Capps (to sign as a FA) and Bard battle it out in Spring Training

Offer Ortiz a 2 year deal - 1 year, $13 million deal w/ an incentive based option for another $12 million if he hits 30 HR OR drives in 100; otherwise let him walk and take the 2 draft picks.  If they don't resign Ortiz, then split Youk's time at DH and 3B and get a new 3B - - - - Will Middlebrooks is in farm or Mike Aviles who can play other positions too and would be much less expensive alternatives

Pick Up Scut’s option

Do not resign Wake or Tek 

See if Ellsbury (ie Boras) would take a 75 million dollar extension and structure the money to give him big raises over the period of the contract and incentive laden options for more years at big $

Line Up could be
    : 

1  Ellsbury L (CF)
    2  Pedey R (2B)
    3  Gonzo L (1B)
    4  Youk R (3B)
    5  Ortiz L (DH)
    6  Wells R (LF)
    7  Kalish L (RF)
    8  Salty S (C)
    9  Scutaro R SS

Rotation could be
    :   

Buck
    Lester L
    Beckett
    Sanchez L (or Buerhrle L)
    Doubrant L   

(3 lefties) 

*  Free Agent Targets for the Pen: 

Matt Capps and Javier Lopez

Pen Could be
    :   

Papelbon
    Bard
    Aceves
    Morales L
    Capps
    J Lopez L

1 spot open for a Rookie to win a job in Spring Training - the only roster spot open to win going into ST

(2 lefties in the pen)

*  Free Agent Targets for the Bench: 

Gerald Laird, Alex Gonzalez, and Coco Crisp

New Bench
    :   

Laird (R) – Catcher
    Alex Gonzalez (R) – SS/IF and Pinch Runner
    Coco Crisp  (S) OF/CF and Pinch Runner
    Lavarnway (R) - Catcher and DH and PH

(First guy to get called up Jose Iglessias) 

(4-man bench) 

Payroll Budget:  The Payroll would be at the same $170 mark as 2011 if they do Plan A from above and NOT including paying some of Crawford’s salary or Lackey’s or Dice K’s….It goes to about 195 million with those contracts…..But I think the Sox could afford that payroll for a couple of years if the Cubs give us proper compensation to cover the luxury tax….IE Sox revenue will cover it the question is do the owners want to pay the luxury tax and the Cubs will cover that for them  (or course, if they don't do Plan A, then payroll would be less)

Long Term:  But long term, focus on the farm.....as i said, build the farm and with your money, KEEP (ie PAY) to keep your own instead of OVERPAYING to steal someone else's 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox

that sounds easyCool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-You'd rather pay Wells $21M instead of $16.5M for Crawford?

2-$15.3M for Paps?  Who in their right mind is going to give him that?  Absent the NYY, what is the highest RP salary in BB?

3-No one really wants Lars and Bowden.  Lowrie has some value.  Maybe we'd get someone to take Jenks salary off our hands if we gave them Lowrie, but we'd get nothing in return.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Not all that much of an upgrade.

#1-#5 and the bottom two in the lineup remain unchanged. So, basically you've got a new LF and a new RF. Wells is no significant upgrade on Crawford and Kalish is unproven ( but, I admit any replacement for Drew has to be an improvemnet).

Your top 3 in the rotation are the same. Looks like #4 starter should be an upgrade for certain, but Doubront hasn't proven anything yet. This is likely a small negligable upgrade.

The main guys in the bullpen are still Bard, Papelbon and Aceves. I do not want Morales or Lopez. Capps, I don't know enough about. So the retread you bring in cancels out the possible upgrade and again, we are treading water here.

Coco Crisp? Haven't we been there? I am thinking this bench is a good one, but the problem was mainly the pitching so I am not that excited about a good bench.

All in all, not bad, but really no huge upgrades. We just have to hope some guys rebound from so-so years ( Youkilis,Buchholz, Crawford, Beckett, Lester). This would be extremely helpful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Zilla - the idea wasn't to do a complete make-over.

Lackey and Wake out and Sanchez and Doubrant in - that's a nice upgrade...given it won't be too hard to replace Lackey and Wake but Sanchez I think has great stuff and let's give Doubrant a chance.....Can't really do much more here other than hope that Lackey's negative vibe can no longer affect Beckett and Lester and that Buck will be healthy and strong all year

Drew and Crawford for Kalish and Wells - another nice upgrade...Kalish at this stage of his career will add a lot more than Drew did and Wells can hit add nice pop, from the right side, and if he gets into a groove at Fenway, could the protection Ortiz didn't really have last year....Plus, he will be an upgrade defensively in LF

Also, Wells will cost us more than Crawford but only for 3 years.  That's the sacrifice we have to make for getting LA to agree to the deal.  I think Wells could hit 30 HR's and give us good OF D - we will just have to tolerate the K's and high price tag but at least no more Craw...plus, at least Wells has a slot in the order.....Craw had no such slot.....

Capps is hardly a retread and Lopez has 3 World Series Rings and has found his groove again against LH's and Morales earned a roster spot

Crisp also knows what the expect in Boston and given how the roster is formed, would be an ideal 4th OF......Ditto for AGone....and w/ Laird gives you veterans who can field their positions far better than most....none of who will break the bank

Anyways, that's the rationale.  Of course, there are other ways to go but I thought this was fairly easy, realistic, and keeps the core in tact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

My plan--- Let Crawford hit second and keep him there all year-- instill confidence in him and allow him and Ellsbury to run at will and cause havoc on the bases and have Petey and Gonzo see a ton of fastballs with those two on the bases in front of them.

Hire a Manager that is agressive and forces the opposing Pitcher and infielders to be on there toes always because thats what wins games-- see Joe Madden as an example of that.

Just Curious--- where is Gabe Kapler--- and does he want to Manage again now that his playing days are over?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

Red Sox will not trade crawford and i agree with not trade him. Is stupid idea

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

That plan only works if Crawford could get his OBP over 350 and I have seen no signs of that happening.   Mgt could tell Craw he's batting 3rd but I still don't see how that would translate to making him better?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Crawford will not be the problem in 2012.  SP will be now that the RS will need two SP instead of one.  I would like Buerhle or Oswalt for short deals with incentive laiden deals, but that might not be how the market stacks up this season.

Id like to see another bullpen arm, since no one knows what your going to get out of Jenks.  I would reup Scutaro and platoon with Lowrie for another season.  Iglesias is not ready.  I would sign a veteran right handed OF like Willingham or Ludwick to platoon with Kalish or Reddick whoever wins that battle.

Tek and Wake should retire gracefully and the RS should tell them that.  Neither should be back, nor should Macdonald and Wheeler.

The trade market may be thin and the RS need to start developing their minor league system, so I dont see a big trade happening. 

It all starts with a strong minded manager and a staff of teachers/mentors who can handle a clubhouse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox:
    That plan only works if Crawford could get his OBP over 350 and I have seen no signs of that happening.   Mgt could tell Craw he's batting 3rd but I still don't see how that would translate to making him better?
    Posted by andrewmitch

Andrew I know your game has switched from Drew to Crawford but I truly believe Crawford will go back to his normal numbers. 

I do very little this offseason.

Paps and Papi come back.  Tek/Wake do not. 
    I go cheap on everything else.
    The Obvious:  Starting Pitching- Take a run at Harden or Jackson. Maybe both. 
    RF- cheap option(Hairston Jr maybe-hard hard worker).
    BP- crap shoot.  but needs to be tweeked.

Trade bait- Youk/Reddick/Lowrie  Cincy has Phillips who I would love to swap for Youk.  I would also love the idea of Wright but don't think that will happen.  

My order:
    Crawford/Pedey/Jacoby/AGon/Youk/Papi/Salty/Scutaro/Hairston
    Bench:
    Aviles/Lav/Kalish/Hall(I liked him and would come cheap and is a decent bat off the bench and was pumped playing this this atmosphere). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Let Pap and Papi walk do not resign Tek or Wake or Drew.
    Crawford--lf
    Pedroia--2b
    Ells--cf
    AGon--1b
    DH--Youk/Kubel
    Middlebrooks/Aviles--3b
    Lav/Salty--c
    Crisp/ Linares--rf
    Scu--ss

Bench:Lowrie, Aviles,Linares, Salty,Kubel

Rotation:Lester, Aceves, Buch, Doubrount, Bedard

Pen: Bard, Morales, Jenk, Madson and Capps: (Bowden/Weiland/Hill)

Trade/ F A  signings: Madson, Capps, Crisp, Kubel

Youth moves: Kalish, Lavarnway, Linares, Doubrount

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Let Pap and Papi walk do not resign Tek or Wake or Drew. Crawford--lf Pedroia--2b Ells--cf AGon--1b DH--Youk/Kubel Middlebrooks/Aviles--3b Lav/Salty--c Crisp/ Linares--rf Scu--ss Bench:Lowrie, Aviles,Linares, Salty,Kubel Rotation:Lester, Aceves, Buch, Doubrount, Bedard Pen: Bard, Morales, Jenks, Hill, Madson and Capps
    Posted by MadMc44

Is Beckett the new pitching coach?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

All in all, not bad, but really no huge upgrades. We just have to hope some guys rebound from so-so years ( Youkilis,Buchholz, Crawford, Beckett, Lester). This would be extremely helpful.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I agree but since when did we decide that Beckett had a so-so year? Even with his september collapse he still had a really good year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Posted by andrewmitch

perhaps we wait until next year...It's hard to put up a 350 OB when your on the golf coarse....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Beckett would be traded in my scheme---not sure where or to whom.
    My best choices would be to the Rangers, Astros, Angels, Dodgers, Giants or Colorado--depending the best return.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to My Plan to Fix the 2012 Sox:
    New Manager - Don Baylor Compensation for Theo :   Should be an amount equal to the luxury tax that we will need to pay now due to his Crawford signing and Lackey now out Lackey :  I would have put Lackey on waivers but now he’s not a concern; just do not allow him to travel with the team Trade #1: Crawford and $21 million to LA for Vernon Wells (Sox get wells for 3/$62 and LA gets Crawford for 6/$99) Trade #2:   Lowrie, Bobby Jenks, Michael Bowden and Lars Anderson to the Giants for Jonathan Sanchez …Back-Up Plan would be to sign Mark Buehrle.   Resign Papelbon for 3 years/46 million....if he refuses then screw him and go after Bell for a lot less (2 years/25 million) or let Capps (to sign as a FA) and Bard battle it out in Spring Training Offer Ortiz a 2 year deal - 1 year, $13 million deal w/ an incentive based option for another $12 million if he hits 30 HR OR drives in 100; otherwise let him walk and take the 2 draft picks.   If they don't resign Ortiz, then split Youk's time at DH and 3B and get a new 3B - - - - Will Middlebrooks is in farm or Mike Aviles who can play other positions too  and would be much less expensive alternatives Pick Up Scut ’s option Do not resign Wake or Tek   See if Ellsbury (ie Boras) would take a 75 million dollar extension and structure the money to give him big raises over the period of the contract and incentive laden options for more years at big $     Line Up could be :   1  Ellsbury L (CF) 2  Pedey R (2B) 3  Gonzo L (1B) 4  Youk R (3B) 5  Ortiz L (DH) 6  Wells R (LF) 7  Kalish L (RF) 8  Salty S (C) 9  Scutaro R SS Rotation could be :     Buck Lester L Beckett Sanchez L (or Buerhrle L) Doubrant L     (3 lefties)   *  Free Agent Targets for the Pen:   Matt Capps and Javier Lopez     Pen Could be :     Papelbon Bard Aceves Morales L Capps J Lopez L 1 spot open for a Rookie to win a job in Spring Training - the only roster spot open to win going into ST   (2 lefties in the pen)   *  Free Agent Targets for the Bench:   Gerald Laird, Alex Gonzalez, and Coco Crisp     New Bench :     Laird (R) – Catcher Alex Gonzalez (R) – SS/IF and Pinch Runner Coco Crisp  (S) OF/CF and Pinch Runner Lavarnway (R) - Catcher and DH and PH (First guy to get called up Jose Iglessias)   (4-man bench)   Payroll Budget :  The Payroll would be at the same $170 mark as 2011 if they do Plan A from above and NOT including paying some of Crawford’s salary or Lackey’s or Dice K’s….It goes to about 195 million with those contracts…..But I think the Sox could afford that payroll for a couple of years if the Cubs give us proper compensation to cover the luxury tax….IE Sox revenue will cover it the question is do the owners want to pay the luxury tax and the Cubs will cover that for them  (or course, if they don't do Plan A, then payroll would be less) Long Term :  But long term, focus on the farm.....as i said, build the farm and with your money, KEEP (ie PAY) to keep your own instead of OVERPAYING to steal someone else's  
    Posted by andrewmitch

Glad it's just your plan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

When you get a grasp on reality, let me know.

Wells is 33 years old. Wells had a .248 OBP and .663 OPS. His career OPS is .792, and he is declining. And you want to pay 27M for 3 years (7M a year more than Crawford) for an older and inferior player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See if Ellsbury (ie Boras) would take a 75 million dollar extension and structure the money to give him big raises over the period of the contract and incentive laden options for more years at big $ 

Are you 7 years old?  Wells and 7M more a year is focusing on the farm!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The problem with the incentives mentioned in the contracts is that you can't give incentives based on how many home runs hit or how many RBIs, etc. I'm nearly 100 percent sure that the only incentives you can put in is for playing time -- games played for hitters, games or innings for pitchers -- and for winning awards.

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think so.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think you wait this year out to see how CC responds to a terrible year before you try and move him..RF needs a platoon IMO. A Ludwick/Willingham/Ross type plattoning with Red/Kalish will do til we see if RHB's Alex Hassan/Bryce Brentz will indeed be ready within the next 2 years..Resign Scoot..Iggy isnt ready yet..Hes only 21, so not a big deal for him to spend another year in AAA. Aviles proved to be a very reliable UIF and has a decent bat too, so hes back IMO..Middlebrooks might also get a COC this year..Cant wait to see this kid..
    Make reasonable offers to Paps, papi and Ells..Paps, maybe 3/39 with incentives..Papi, something like  2/20 with incentives to reach 12mm..I offer Ells 6/96 and see what happens..He might like the security over risking injury the next 2 years..Say thank you and goodbye to Tek and Wake and Drew..
    Id like to see what lavarnway could do in a larger sample size in MLB. He could DH/C, but he could also use some more defensive seasoning in AAA. so maybe go after a vet backup..Ramon Hernandez?
    There should be some good 4-5 type pitchers available at low cost this winter, as well as some bullpen arms..If Paps leaves, there will also be some cheaper but effective closers on the market we can go after..On the farm theres Doubront if he can come to camp in shape this year unlike 2011. Alex wilson should get a shot to make the rotation or the pen as well and Kyle Weiland, IMO, would be a better pen arm..Junichi Tazawa is aonther one, and is Aceves a possible 4-5 starter too?
    So really no big moves..Just a starter and pen arms along with a Platooning RH hittinf RF'r and backup C.
    We have a bunch of Arb cases to deal with this offseason as well, with Ells being the largest increase IMO or a possible LTC.
    LINEUP
    CF. Ells- I keep him here unless the power continues, then switch with Pedey.
    LF. CC- put him here for the first month or so and see what happens..
    2b. Pedey- see Ells
    1b. Gonzo
    3b.Youk
    DH. Papi
    RF. Ludwick/Willingham/Ross? platoon with Kalish/Reddick (IMO, 1 of Kalish or Red will b in a trade this offseason)
    C. Salty
    ss. scoot
    ROTATION
    SP. Lester
    SP. Beckett
    SP. Buchholz
    SP. Buehrle/Harden?
    SP. internal choice?
    RP. Bard
    RP. Jenks
    Fill in the rest..Its a crap shoot for pen arms anyway...just invite a b=unch of guys to camp and see what happens..

Bench: Aviles, RF, C, and a Bill hall type who can play IF or OF..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

When you get a grasp on reality, let me know. Wells is 33 years old. Wells had a .248 OBP and .663 OPS. His career OPS is .792, and he is declining. And you want to pay 27M for 3 years (7M a year more than Crawford) for an older and inferior player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See if Ellsbury (ie Boras) would take a 75 million dollar extension and structure the money to give him big raises over the period of the contract and incentive laden options for more years at big $   Are you 7 years old?  Wells and 7M more a year is focusing on the farm!!!!
    Posted by hankwilliams

When you can be critical of someone without insulting them, I'll take you off of INGORE.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

seems like a lot of you want Crawford back but

1)  where does he fit into the line up

2)  do you trust his defense

3)  can he mentally bounce back

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think he can rebound to his career #'s AM..I give him 2012 to prove he can...I also bat him in his natural 2nd spot and see what happens...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

But his career OBP is only .333

I don't think he will ever go over .350 again

Based on what he did last year, .325 would be a nice improvement

Are you sure you still want him batting 2nd?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Shupe - how many RBI will Pedey, Jake and Gonzo have if the lead-off hitter has an OBP under .300 ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Andrew, don't paint yourself into a corner on CC, remember what Softlaw did with his headstrong act on "Jake?"

Sections
Shortcuts