My prediction. Jeff Francoeur will be traded to the Red Sox.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

My prediction. Jeff Francoeur will be traded to the Red Sox.

I think he will be the guy that Theo tries to get.  We all know that Francoeur has been dying to play for the Sox.  He is the 2nd highest paid player on the Royals ($2.5M) and has an expiring contract.  The Royals are starting to fade out of contention and I believe they will be willing to listen to offers.  He has been crushing left handed pitching and is having a very good season.  He just seems like a guy that would fit right in with this team too. 

Maybe Reddick and a B level prospect can land him from the Royals.  I just think the fit is too perfect.

The bigger point.  JD Drew and Mike Cameron aren't cutting it and show no signs of being able to cut it.  Dump Cameron's contract even if it means paying all of it.  Demote JD Drew to the 4th OF'er and give Francoeur the majority of the starts.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattb5fon. Show mattb5fon's posts

Re: My prediction. Jeff Francoeur will be traded to the Red Sox.

i actually like it. He has a cannon arm too so it will help in the outfield

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

+1

Now if we can only find somebody to play short stop.  Balls up the middle .... 4 zip As.  Disgusting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

Reddick for a rent-a-player? seems awfully short-term.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: My prediction. Jeff Francoeur will be traded to the Red Sox.:
    [QUOTE]Reddick for a rent-a-player? seems awfully short-term.
    Posted by sgtnull[/QUOTE]

Reddick's value isn't that high.  A rental player that can start in the OF is worth a guy like Reddick, especially when there's a gaping hole out in RF.  Besides, what's the point of hanging on to Reddick?  Kalish is likely the RF of the future and if not it's probably a position that they can address via free agency (even though I'm sure they'd rather not.  Francoeur can actually offer a great bat vs righties for the back for the tail end of this lineup

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

so if Reddick's value isn't very high why would anyone give us anything valuable for him?

if the Sox need someone in Rightfield and Reddick isn't a good enough solution, why would another team think he was? couldn't they just get a better player somewhere else?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He has been crushing lefthanded pitching?  And the Sox are going to make a deal for someone who will shine--maybe--in one out of four games?  No deal--unless someone can tell me he also crushes righties. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: My prediction. Jeff Francoeur will be traded to the Red Sox.:
    [QUOTE]so if Reddick's value isn't very high why would anyone give us anything valuable for him? if the Sox need someone in Rightfield and Reddick isn't a good enough solution, why would another team think he was? couldn't they just get a better player somewhere else?
    Posted by sgtnull[/QUOTE]

I said Reddick and a B level prospect.  It's not like we are trading for Ryan Braun here.  Reddick has yet to prove that he can hit in the big leagues but I think he has shown enough in the minors to at least get a team to bite on him.  Who knows, maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

From baseballreference.com

This season he's hitting:
    LHP:  .350 3HR 14 RBI
    RHP:  .261 6HR 20 RBI

In his career he's:
    LHP:  .290 35 HR 173 RBI
    RHP:  .259 75 HR 326 RBI

He's very good against lefties and okay against righties.  Have Drew start half of the games versus righties and Francoeur start the other half along with all games against lefties.  Against righties, I'll take a .260 hitter with equivalent pop to Drew over Drew right now.  As another poster also stated, his arm is very solid as well.

We all know he's not the long term solution, but I think he may be the most reasonable bat to go get right now.  I don't think we have to drain the farm to get him and I think he could add a lot to the bottom part of this lineup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

He's just the guy.  Looking at the situation, I can't think of a more perfect player that the Sox can reasonably and realistically go out and get.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Ya gotta be kiddin...the guy who is superstitious and wears turkey underwear? puhleeze, no! Listen to the ghost of Lou Gorman and ask, "where would we put him!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I've mentioned Frenchie a few weeks ago as a good target to clean up the mess in RF.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Go all out and get Justin Upton, then the outfield is set for years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Diamondbacks are in first place. I dont think they are looking to dump their stars right now do you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Go all out and get Justin Upton, then the outfield is set for years.
    Posted by mthomas43[/QUOTE]

Yes but that would cost the entire farm system.. and the farm system for the most part is sub par.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

[QUOTE]Go all out and get Justin Upton, then the outfield is set for years.
    Posted by mthomas43[/QUOTE]

please post what trade you think will get it done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

Hmmm... Francouer is pretty overrated as an actual baseball player.  He's a good hitter who has good power against LHP, a terrible hitter against RHP, a below-average fielder who can only play right field, with a gun for an arm.  The problem I have with Francoeur is he's be a non-everyday player who only plays one position.   With roster flexibility already bogged down by having Ortiz as the DH, the rest of the bench needs to be able to play multiple positions (except BUC).  I suppose the Sox could get away with a bench of Scutaro (when he returns)/Francoeur/Varitek/Cameron; that'd be ok..... and Francoeur could be used for pinch-hitting against good LHP in tight games.  It works, assuming you only have to give up a C level prospect or two.  The question then becomes, is that enough to get Francoeur?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Hmmm... Francouer is pretty overrated as an actual baseball player.  He's a good hitter who has good power against LHP, a terrible hitter against RHP, a below-average fielder who can only play right field, with a gun for an arm.  The problem I have with Francoeur is he's be a non-everyday player who only plays one position.   With roster flexibility already bogged down by having Ortiz as the DH, the rest of the bench needs to be able to play multiple positions (except BUC).  I suppose the Sox could get away with a bench of Scutaro (when he returns)/Francoeur/Varitek/Cameron; that'd be ok..... and Francoeur could be used for pinch-hitting against good LHP in tight games.  It works, assuming you only have to give up a C level prospect or two.  The question then becomes, is that enough to get Francoeur?
    Posted by billsrul[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't pull the trigger on this yet but I would pull the trigger on JD Drew as the main RF on this team.  I'd also find a way to dump Cameron and his contract (whether that means paying all of it or not).  That frees up a spot for another RH OF'er.  I don't think you're giving Francoeur enough credit as an all around hitter.  The guy is still a .260 hitter against righties with pop.  That's pretty much what JD has been giving us over the past 2-3 seasons.  You can then shift JD to a part time role and play him against some lefties.  As for the bench, just think of it as replacing Cameron with Francoeur and then benching Drew.

In the short term, I think Reddick deserves a shot at earning the majority of starts in RF. 

I imagine Francoeur will be a hot commodity at the trading deadline, especially if the Royals continue to fade.  Still, he's their 2nd highest paid player and we all know teams like the Royals don't mind finding ways to save $... even if it is just $1M.

As for the prospects, I'd be willing to part with Reddick to get Francoeur as long as the Sox feel comfortable that Kalish is the guy of the future.  I know it's just a rental player but I think this team desperately needs a right handed bat that can produce out of the lower part of the order.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to My prediction. Jeff Francoeur will be traded to the Red Sox.:
    [QUOTE]I think he will be the guy that Theo tries to get.  We all know that Francoeur has been dying to play for the Sox.  He is the 2nd highest paid player on the Royals ($2.5M) and has an expiring contract.  The Royals are starting to fade out of contention and I believe they will be willing to listen to offers.  He has been crushing left handed pitching and is having a very good season.  He just seems like a guy that would fit right in with this team too.  Maybe Reddick and a B level prospect can land him from the Royals.  I just think the fit is too perfect. The bigger point.  JD Drew and Mike Cameron aren't cutting it and show no signs of being able to cut it.  Dump Cameron's contract even if it means paying all of it.  Demote JD Drew to the 4th OF'er and give Francoeur the majority of the starts. Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE] I don't think I'd trade Reddick for Francouer. Reddick is a young Francoeur already and there is hope that Josh may actually get plate discipline.

Yeah, he's a RH bat on LH centric team but the proposal that the RS eat millions on Cameron's deal and trade Reddick is a deal I don't think the RS would ever do. His .311 lifetime OBP is red flag a huge dimensions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to My prediction. Jeff Francoeur will be traded to the Red Sox. : I don't think I'd trade Reddick for Francouer. Reddick is a young Francoeur already and there is hope that Josh may actually get plate discipline. Yeah, he's a RH bat on LH centric team but the proposal that the RS eat millions on Cameron's deal and trade Reddick is a deal I don't think the RS would ever do. His .311 lifetime OBP is red flag a huge dimensions.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Francoeur's value as a hitter is seriously hindered by the fact that he can't take a walk.  He's overrated by some who see the flashy "tools" that he brings, and underrated by others who can't stand the mental errors that he's constantly making...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

CALM DOWN ALL....... THEO & I ARE WORKING ON THIS ROSTER AS I WRITE.....   NO NEED TO GO INTO IT WITH ALL YOU  T-BALL G M's  AT THIS TIME......  GO GET YOUR ICE CREAM !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I've certainly seen (and made) less likely predictions...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

He's small potatos and not much of a potential upgrade.

Vote no.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]This reminds me of the Murphy trade a few years ago. Get rid of a kid, get a rental, keep 2 guys you are Old, and gone at end of year. I understand your thoughts, but not me, at least not for Reddick.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Reddick is only 3 years younger than Francouer, and essentially the same player from the other side of the plate.   I could see the Red Sox going after Francouer, however, I am not sure Reddick would be the guy going to KC.  With their farm system, needs and wants are a little tougher to gauge.

To me, this move wouldn't be a suprise, but it also stands a good chance of making little difference.

However, if the Sox were to get Francouer from KC and then move Reddick for an upgrade elsewhere (catcher? bullpen?), the move might be more sensible to some doubters.