My problem with Papelbon today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

My problem with Papelbon today

We all know that Papelbon gave up a four run lead and was hurt by Pedroia's error on what should have been a game-ending double play, but what bothered me about Papelbon was how he lost his composure.  He wasn't able to get over the umpire calls (which seemed correct, anyway) and the error and took out his frustrations inappropriately while not maintaining the right focus on executing his pitches. 

Everybody has a bad game.  As a closer, and player the team relies upon so heavily, he shouldn't implode like that.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: My problem with Papelbon today

Couldn't get the game today for reasons I still don't get, but from what I've read I agree with you. That just can't happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

losmediasrojas I don't really understand your post - can you please provide a youtube.com link that might help get your meaning across better?  Or perhaps some cutting and pasting of some cartoon characters?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You  have to  speak  plainly

for  Burrito.  See,  he  has

attention  disorder.

Try  to  use  small  words.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to Re: My problem with Papelbon today:
    [QUOTE]losmedias rojas I don't really understand your post - can you please provide a youtube.com link that might help get your meaning across better?  Or perhaps some cutting and pasting of some cartoon characters?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

http://youtu.be/_c0deRW1Kgk

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You may need an interpreter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I just finished watching a replay of today's bottom of the ninth.  It did look to me like all of those calls he didn't like were indeed a few inches off the plate.  He seemed to lose it when a pitch that may have been on the black was called a strike, and I'm guessing his reaction was one of how the hell is that a strike when the others were not.  But you're right, los, he absolutely has to hold it together there.  As it turned out, Jenks bailed him out, and had he not been tossed he may have coughed up more.  What a weird game that was.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]I just finished watching a replay of today's bottom of the ninth.  It did look to me like all of those calls he didn't like were indeed a few inches off the plate.  He seemed to lose it when a pitch that may have been on the black was called a strike, and I'm guessing his reaction was one of how the hell is that a strike when the others were not.  But you're right, los, he absolutely has to hold it together there.  As it turned out, Jenks bailed him out, and had he not been tossed he may have coughed up more.  What a weird game that was.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Los I saw it a little different !!!!! While Paps actions were that of an overpaid spoiled coddled closer the real issue I have is the Umpire!!!! BEFORE Paps got run he had his back turned and the Blue came from behind the plate throwing his hands up at Paps being held back by Salty .......Now Paps blow up was a temper tantrum at best players are paid to be emotionally involved in every pitch every inning every game the Blue is NOT !!! In fact I would go as far as to say they are paid to call the game with out emotion every pitch every inning every game!!!!!! In my humble opinion if the Blue wanted to run him for something he said prior to being called out by the ump then do it BUT I honestly think that if the Ump stayed where he was with Paps back turned this would not have happened .............

Just my 2 cents!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Tek on the other hand .....................

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

True, insider.  The ump was way out of line in pulling his Joe West routine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

[QUOTE]Tek on the other hand .....................
    Posted by rsinsider[/QUOTE]

Frankly sports fans he said something that is a big NO NO the umpire!!!!

Crash must have called him a Co@@ S@CK$R!!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I too just saw the game replay and I have to agree with the points made here.
    IMO, it really started with the ump called an inconsistent game throughout. If he's gonna give the pitcher the low or high outside call, it needs to be consistent.
    That way, the battery sets up the hitters accordingly. When the calls are erratic, it creates frustration. This set the stage for the 9th.

What mystifies me is why Tek got run so quickly. If it was balls/strikes, why did Tek point to 3rd base repeatedly? The fuse was already in play but that lit
    it right there. For both Tek/Paps to come unglued that way - which is extremely rare - I gotta believe they had a beef, some of which might have been initiated elsewhere.

What went unnoticed was that if Salty doesn't nail Matsui on the strikeout pitch that got away, it's over. That was a huge play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to My problem with Papelbon today:
    [QUOTE]We all know that Papelbon gave up a four run lead and was hurt by Pedroia's error on what should have been a game-ending double play, but what bothered me about Papelbon was how he lost his composure.  He wasn't able to get over the umpire calls (which seemed correct, anyway) and the error and took out his frustrations inappropriately while not maintaining the right focus on executing his pitches.  Everybody has a bad game.  As a closer, and player the team relies upon so heavily, he shouldn't implode like that.    
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

huh? i thought it was the manager's fault for sending in paps on a non-save sit. that's what some people on the game thread were saying. paps' pitching or throwing a tantrum had nothing to do with how they almost lost.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My problem with Papelbon today : Frankly sports fans he said something that is a big NO NO the umpire!!!! Crash must have called him a Co@@ S@CK$R!!!!!!!
    Didn't Annie respond with something like, "How romantic?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Los I saw it a little different !!!!! While Paps actions were that of an overpaid spoiled coddled closer the real issue I have is the Umpire!!!! BEFORE Paps got run he had his back turned and the Blue came from behind the plate throwing his hands up at Paps being held back by Salty .......Now Paps blow up was a temper tantrum at best players are paid to be emotionally involved in every pitch every inning every game the Blue is NOT !!! In fact I would go as far as to say they are paid to call the game with out emotion every pitch every inning every game!!!!!! In my humble opinion if the Blue wanted to run him for something he said prior to being called out by the ump then do it BUT I honestly think that if the Ump stayed where he was with Paps back turned this would not have happened ............. Just my 2 cents!!!!

I agree with both you and los.

I think when he didn't get the calls, he let it affect his composure in regard to his pitching.

The way he lost it on the umpire is Exhibit A about what my major problem is with umpires. Umpires don't like to be shown up, but that is exactly what he did. The umpire was already primed for a fight and he's the one who started it.

After he threw the pitch, Papelbon might have said something but then turned around and his back was to home plate. A good umpire would have ignored the comment -- and Papelbon said he was talking to the catcher -- rather than escalate the situation. Umpires are supposed to keep order not cause disruption, but it was the umpire who inflamed the situation.

I don't rip umpires for bad calls, especially balls and strikes. There are so many calls to be made and base calls can be bang-bang. I understand it can be difficult. But umpires are supposed to maintain control of the game. This umpire should be suspended in my opinion.

Papelbon did go off on the umpire, but the umpire baited him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to My problem with Papelbon today:
    [QUOTE]We all know that Papelbon gave up a four run lead and was hurt by Pedroia's error on what should have been a game-ending double play, but what bothered me about Papelbon was how he lost his composure.  He wasn't able to get over the umpire calls (which seemed correct, anyway) and the error and took out his frustrations inappropriately while not maintaining the right focus on executing his pitches.  Everybody has a bad game.  As a closer, and player the team relies upon so heavily, he shouldn't implode like that.    
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

I agree, as a professional ballplayer, Paps should have been able to shake off the error and the inconsistent strike zone, and focus on the task at hand. 

That said, he is human, and from what I gather, a very high strung adrenaline junkie.  It's what makes him tick, but unfortunately, as we saw yesterday, it can also be his downfall.  Beckett seems to be the same way at times.  I'm not excusing it, but I can certainly understand it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Mr. Randazzo, Thank you for tossing Jon. Papelbon and Capt.Varitek when you did because the RS surely would have lost this game if you hadn't. Your move was the right move at the right time. Clearly Paps didn't have it yesterday. Visibly frustrated with the ball and strike calls and the error at 2nd base, Paps was fret with anxiety and hostile feelings. Having coughed up (4) runs to tie the game, our manager, TF was not in a position to yank Paps and would have left him in to absorb a gut wrenching loss. But your move Mr Randazzo bordered on celestial intervention. Just like the sun shining in Ichiro's eyes on a JL outfield fly ball last month..... a game the RS eventually won primarily on that play.  So while others wrestle with the protagonists opinions of who said what to whom, I find solace in the fact that without your effort we never would have won that game yesterday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]What went unnoticed was that if Salty doesn't nail Matsui on the strikeout pitch that got away, it's over. That was a huge play.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Salty came up huge several times in that game.  The throw to first that you mentioned, the tag at home plate to nail Jackson, and the 2 out double and subsequent game tying run in the 11th.

I am much more comfortable with Salty now than I was a month ago.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I'm kinda liking him, Randazzo, as manager !! And Like I said in many other thread he deserves a game ball at the very least !!