my take on papi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

my take on papi

papi has given the sox  years.but i really dont think he will be any factor this

year.he will get hurt before we know it and his age is against him.

i just dont see him even playing half the year.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Re: my take on papi

Papi is too far behind schedule to be a factor the first month.  He has not even faced any pitching in games. 

Time will tell but I suspect when he does sit out, the Papi homers will start talking about 04 and 07.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to jackbu's comment:

Papi is too far behind schedule to be a factor the first month.  He has not even faced any pitching in games. 

Time will tell but I suspect when he does sit out, the Papi homers will start talking about 04 and 07.

U mean like every season when the bashers say he is finished?

I have never said he was finished, just that I don't think he is worth the money he is getting paid.  After the injury last season, I said the sox were crazy to sign him and they should let him test the market. 

The way spring training is going, it seems the sox may have made a huge mistake with Ortiz.  I hope I am wrong and I hope Ortiz goes yard 40 times.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think it is great to have an opinion.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

msob:

You seem to have an infinite amount of time.  You also are the first one to demand a link to prove a statement.  Copy and paste where I have said Ortiz is finished.  Even after the sox are done with Ortiz, he will be able to float around the American League for a few seasons.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Ortiz is behind in terms of missing spring games, but not by as much as you might think. Today is March 5, which means in most years, the Sox would be playing in just their fifth or sixth spring game. Because of the WBC, games started earlier this year and they've already played 11 and they still have games through the end of March.

So there's plenty of time for him to start getting at-bats.

Right now, too many fans are having knee-jerk reactions to every little bit of news. The Sox are taking a patient approach to him because he is so valuable, so fans should simply take a deep breath, relax and wait to see where he is at come opening day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to soxyjim's comment:

papi has given the sox  years.but i really dont think he will be any factor this

year.he will get hurt before we know it and his age is against him.

i just dont see him even playing half the year.

nOW THEN, Be prepared to be attacked by all the soooo smart T-BALLERS on this board........  This is a clear example of when your/my eyes do not know what they are seeing !!!

Thanks for starting a new topic on this to share your 'take'.  I agree that he is getting up there in years but I think he will be more of a factor than some think.  Even just having him in the lineup changes things for opposing pitchers..even if he may not be 100%.  Let's also not forget people...HE HAS been taking batting practice regularly.  It's not like he is just running every other day for a few minutes and that's it.  I think the whole 'timing thing' has been a bit over blown.  Now do it hink the Sox should have paid him less?  Yes.  Should thay have only done one year with an option?  Yes.  Should his contract been incentive laden?  Yes.  But it's NOT....we can complain all we want about that..but it's not going to change anything.

BTW....Bill....have you EVER written anything constructive in your 13,000 posts?  I would send you to the ignore list that you love so much.....but then I would be missing my comedic relief....

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Ortiz is behind in terms of missing spring games, but not by as much as you might think. Today is March 5, which means in most years, the Sox would be playing in just their fifth or sixth spring game. Because of the WBC, games started earlier this year and they've already played 11 and they still have games through the end of March.

Right now, too many fans are having knee-jerk reactions to every little bit of news. The Sox are taking a patient approach to him because he is so valuable, so fans should simply take a deep breath, relax and wait to see where he is at come opening day.

You could be right but from what I remember, Ortiz has never been one to jump back in the order and quickly produce after sitting out for a spell.  This is why Terry kept david in during all those long slumps.

He needs a complete spring training to get a fast jump on the regular season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Triumph

Ok, thanks for that.  How many at bats does he have at the moment?  Is he even scheduled to play in the next few days?

At the time of his off season contract talks, I also remember david telling the front office that there was no problem with the achilles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

You could be right but from what I remember, Ortiz has never been one to jump back in the order and quickly produce after sitting out for a spell.  This is why Terry kept david in during all those long slumps.

He needs a complete spring training to get a fast jump on the regular season.

I have no idea if Ortiz will be ready to go or not.  But, Francona pencilling in Papi through prolonged slumps has nothing in the slightest bit to do with how many at-bats he might need to come back after a prolonged absence.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

spaceman:

we will know in about a month.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

Admit it jackbu. You dislike Ortiz. You wish he was finished.

Still looking for your link which states I said Ortiz was finished.  For once back up one of your statements.  Leaving within the hour, catch you tomorrow.  By then you should have another 500 posts.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

While I'm not optimistic that Ortiz will be productive like his career median average prior to 2012, I'm still hopeful he can product about 75% of that metric. We'll see, but I knew the leverage was such that a one year "golden parachute" year should have been the extent of the offer to Ortiz.

what is median average exactly? there is a median. then there is an average... i've never heard of median average in statistics class. i even googled it and came up with nothing.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

so pretty much it is a made up term you use to call a good player bad when the facts disagree with you?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Don't think Papi is finished.  Don't think he was overpaid as he is valuable in too many ways both on and off the field and there shouldn't be a Red Sox fan anywhere who doesnt want to see him finish his career in Boston.  Have stated often on various Papi threads that imo his particular injury will likely be a chronic "on again, off again" annoyance for both him and the team.  Hope he is able to be the offensive force that he sincerely wants to be and that we need him to be.  Beyond his effective playing time, further hope he is retained as a batting coach, etc.   Media doesn't need to start ragging on him nor do the fans.  Have a little respect.  He is an iconic Red Sox player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Median average is an average of medians over any series of sample sets. It's how I evaluate the value of MLB veteran talent. Fit is, of course, another separate but related issue to value. See S. Drew, which was throwing almost 10 million in the wind.

An average of medians over any series of sample sets huh?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts