my take on papi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: my take on papi

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

Admit it jackbu. You dislike Ortiz. You wish he was finished.

He was calling him a bum last year.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Median average is an average of medians over any series of sample sets. It's how I evaluate the value of MLB veteran talent. Fit is, of course, another separate but related issue to value. See S. Drew, which was throwing almost 10 million in the wind.

This is not true. I took about six college courses on statistics including Advanced Regression and Cotrrelation Analysis. Medians are only used in small sample situations such as by a teacher with a class of 30-40.

Do you know of any data sets in MLB that are ordered from low to top value so that the value in the middle or center is determined. I highly doubt that it is done, is meaningful, or feasible, warranted, or worth the effort or cost.

If you know of any baseball stat that is a median value instead of a mean then please tell us. An average of medians is of course possible but I have never heard of any statistician who ever advocated it, recommended it, or deemed it to be significant.

Thanks for parting my hair.  There is so little of it left that sometimes I forget.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Median average is an average of medians over any series of sample sets. It's how I evaluate the value of MLB veteran talent. Fit is, of course, another separate but related issue to value. See S. Drew, which was throwing almost 10 million in the wind.

This is not true. I took about six college courses on statistics including Advanced Regression and Cotrrelation Analysis. Medians are only used in small sample situations such as by a teacher with a class of 30-40.

Do you know of any data sets in MLB that are ordered from low to top value so that the value in the middle or center is determined. I highly doubt that it is done, is meaningful, or feasible, warranted, or worth the effort or cost.

If you know of any baseball stat that is a median value instead of a mean then please tell us. An average of medians is of course possible but I have never heard of any statistician who ever advocated it, recommended it, or deemed it to be significant.

You are not taking into account the significance of taking the average of medians when that average of medians is calculated over any series of sample sets.  You are not grasping the statistical relevance of sample set series.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Don't think Papi is finished.  Don't think he was overpaid as he is valuable in too many ways both on and off the field and there shouldn't be a Red Sox fan anywhere who doesnt want to see him finish his career in Boston.  Have stated often on various Papi threads that imo his particular injury will likely be a chronic "on again, off again" annoyance for both him and the team.  Hope he is able to be the offensive force that he sincerely wants to be and that we need him to be.  Beyond his effective playing time, further hope he is retained as a batting coach, etc.   Media doesn't need to start ragging on him nor do the fans.  Have a little respect.  He is an iconic Red Sox.

SON, as we would say in the NAVY........  It's not for you to think, the NAVY will do that for you"  !!!!!

This statement explains so much...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Ahhh the memories.

Amazing how accurate bill and jack were. Innocent

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to soxyjim's comment:

papi has given the sox  years.but i really dont think he will be any factor this

year.he will get hurt before we know it and his age is against him.

i just dont see him even playing half the year.

nOW THEN, Be prepared to be attacked by all the soooo smart T-BALLERS on this board........  This is a clear example of when your/my eyes do not know what they are seeing !!!

Thanks for starting a new topic on this to share your 'take'.  I agree that he is getting up there in years but I think he will be more of a factor than some think.  Even just having him in the lineup changes things for opposing pitchers..even if he may not be 100%.  Let's also not forget people...HE HAS been taking batting practice regularly.  It's not like he is just running every other day for a few minutes and that's it.  I think the whole 'timing thing' has been a bit over blown.  Now do it hink the Sox should have paid him less?  Yes.  Should thay have only done one year with an option?  Yes.  Should his contract been incentive laden?  Yes.  But it's NOT....we can complain all we want about that..but it's not going to change anything.

BTW....Bill....have you EVER written anything constructive in your 13,000 posts?  I would send you to the ignore list that you love so much.....but then I would be missing my comedic relief....

[/QUOTE]  As DAD would say ..............  "SON, check your math, its 15,000+ and counting" !!!!     But whos keeping score ???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

papi has given the sox  years.but i really dont think he will be any factor this

nOW THEN, Be prepared to be attacked by all the soooo smart T-BALLERS on this board........  This is a clear example of when your/my eyes do not know what they are seeing !!!

Thanks for starting a new topic on this to share your 'take'.  I agree that he is getting up there in years but I think he will be more of a factor than some think.  Even just having him in the lineup changes things for opposing pitchers..even if he may not be 100%.  Let's also not forget people...HE HAS been taking batting practice regularly.  It's not like he is just running every other day for a few minutes and that's it.  I think the whole 'timing thing' has been a bit over blown.  Now do it hink the Sox should have paid him less?  Yes.  Should thay have only done one year with an option?  Yes.  Should his contract been incentive laden?  Yes.  But it's NOT....we can complain all we want about that..but it's not going to change anything.

BTW....Bill....have you EVER written anything constructive in your 13,000 posts?  I would send you to the ignore list that you love so much.....but then I would be missing my comedic relief....

[/QUOTE]  As DAD would say ..............  "SON, check your math, its 15,000+ and counting" !!!!     But whos keeping score ???

[/QUOTE]

Hey Math Genius.....this is a thread from 4 months ago....back then you had 13,000 posts.  Maybe your dad should have sent you to school....

BTW...thanks for bringing my post from this thread back up....looks like I was spot on and you were wrong...AGAIN!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Math Genius.....this is a thread from 4 months ago....back then you had 13,000 posts.  Maybe your dad should have sent you to school....

BTW...thanks for bringing my post from this thread back up....looks like I was spot on and you were wrong...AGAIN!! 

[/QUOTE]Like great pitching, its not always about right & wrong !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

As DAD would say ..............  "SON, check your math, its 15,000+ and counting" !!!!     But whos keeping score ???

Like great pitching, its not always about right & wrong !!!

Wait.....my amazing Math skills tell me that you made 2,000 posts in 4.5 months....  For real, do you have a life Bill??  Get out of the group home...  There is life out there other than on-line forums....

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts