My take on this season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

My take on this season

CONSISTENCY

RS SP is 5th in AL with only two current playoff bound teams (Tigers/A's) ahead of them. The vaunted Rays SP is tied with the RS....THIS IS WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN ALL SEASON

RS RP is 8th with only two playoff bound teams (A's/Texas) ahead of them. Even the vaunted Rays RP is a half run worse than RS...THEY HAVE IMPROVED OVER THE SEASON

SIDE QUESTION? So if the Rays are considered to have a very good staff what does that say for the RS staff????

BTW: The Royals to whom they lost three have the Best SP and second best RP

Hitting wise they are still second in the AL. WITH RISP they are 5th but the good thing is that they have the most chances with RISP with most runs and RBIs as well as most Ks.

As long as the RS maintain their consistency they will be fine. Consistency has been the hall mark of this team. No long losing or winning streaks.

Other teams have had both long winning streaks followed by long losing streaks. Rays won 12 of 13 then immediately lost 6 in a row actually losing ground on the RS.

Jays won 10+ in a row got to 3rd 3 games back then went on a losing streak.

RS longest WS is 7 (ONCE NEXT LONGEST IS 5) longest losing streak is 3 that is the key they have stayed away from the extreme inconsistency

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: My take on this season

Enough wasting good pitching performances. It's time to start getting serious BenC and JF. There are no off days needed the rest of the way.

It is the time to bring up Xander and send Holt back to AAA and DFA Beato. Holt has not done much in the last 10-14 days. Xander is a threat just standing in the on deck circle and he should hit better than both WMB and Drew.  Start him tomorrow night at SS in place of Drew against Pettite, start him Sat against Kuroda at 3 B and Sun at SS against CC.

If he does well this weekend let's see what he can do out West against good Dodger pitchers.

Let's have some competition at 1 B. Start Nap tomorrow if he does nothing Carp or Nava get a chance.

More competition WMB and Xander; Xander and Drew; Gomes and Nava. Play the guys that are hot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

....and its not enough. As of tonight, I officially no longer believe in this team. They will have to go on an INCREDIBLE run the last six weeks to even budge me. I remember 2011 well, and Im starting to see a lot of the same crap. So theres my take, and I hope they prove me wrong, just like I hoped in 2011.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

....and its not enough. As of tonight, I officially no longer believe in this team. They will have to go on an INCREDIBLE run the last six weeks to even budge me. I remember 2011 well, and Im starting to see a lot of the same crap. So theres my take, and I hope they prove me wrong, just like I hoped in 2011.

If Breakholz can come back soon and be effective I think we have a good shot at the playoffs. On the other hand, if he has another of his many setbacks and doesn't feel like pitching again, and especially if we lose this upcoming series to the Yankees, then I will join you in becoming convinced that this is not a playoff team. I have seen this show before....choking late in the season. Only time will tell if history will repeat itself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think the difference from 2011 is the attitude of the team. Things fell apart in 2011. Those who focus on the beer and chicken , miss the point. The problem was the disrespect and insubordination. And , the failure of management to deal with it. There was a feeling that we were a lock to make the playoffs. The starting pitchers had become overweight and out of shape. When things started going bad, no one had the answers, and it just spiraled out of control. That is not the case this year. The atmosphere is much better. I think the question now is; do we have enough talent to get it done?  We will find out very soon. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think the difference from 2011 is the attitude of the team. Things fell apart in 2011. Those who focus on the beer and chicken , miss the point. The problem was the disrespect and insubordination. And , the failure of management to deal with it. There was a feeling that we were a lock to make the playoffs. The starting pitchers had become overweight and out of shape. When things started going bad, no one had the answers, and it just spiraled out of control. That is not the case this year. The atmosphere is much better. I think the question now is; do we have enough talent to get it done?  We will find out very soon. 

[/QUOTE]

Same result DG, doesnt matter WHY. Same deal, same ending.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

The Sox haven't had more than a 4 game lead on anyone in this division in a long, long time. 

So just how big a meltdown do people think this is?  They're not blowing a double digit lead in the win column...in fact, over the past few weeks the Sox have increased their division lead.

They're going to right the ship against NY.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The encouraging thing is the Pitching, we can improve our Situational hitting by just working a little harder. Hardest thing to turn around is Pitching.

Litte home cooking might be the answer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, yes pitching is very important.   If you look at last many world series title teams, most of their pitching staffs ranked in the top 12 of all MLB, and also most of the times, their offense ranked in the top 12 of all MLB too.  SF of 2009 world series title team's offense ranked #17, but their pitchings were excellent.

So right now Boston ranked #1 offense, but thier pitching staffs ranked #15 for all MLB (But #6 in AL).  Guess the NL have more teams ranked for pitching than AL.  Remember only one AL team goes to world series against one NL team.  So that is not differicult path to win it all for Boston if they are in the post season.

Right now their pitching staffs are doing a heck of job for the month of August.  Three to five time better than they ever did last year or two years ago.  That is a good sign for us.

Time to sweep the freakin Yankees this weekend before heading on another tough road trip for the possible last time for the season for Boston.  Like I said, if they play .600 ball for a week and half, I would be damn happy about it!!

Go Sox

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Jim - The Red Sox don't have top pitchers like Price, Moore (if he comes back) and Cobb. If Buchholz comes back that changes, but how much will Buccholz help after being out three months.

The Red Sox need to find a way to bring up Bogaerts now. The Red Sox need another strong righty bat as they get beat by good lefties.

Also Jim, the Red Sox have to visit SF and LA. If Farrell takes Ortiz out of lineup and with pitcher batting, the lineup won't score much against the likes of Greinke, Bumgarner, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Jim - The Red Sox don't have top pitchers like Price, Moore (if he comes back) and Cobb. If Buchholz comes back that changes, but how much will Buccholz help after being out three months.

The Red Sox need to find a way to bring up Bogaerts now. The Red Sox need another strong righty bat as they get beat by good lefties.

Also Jim, the Red Sox have to visit SF and LA. If Farrell takes Ortiz out of lineup and with pitcher batting, the lineup won't score much against the likes of Greinke, Bumgarner, etc.

Ortiz will not sit all 6 games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Perhaps they will have Nap catch and Ortiz play 1 B.

Can someone tell me why the Sox are having Salty catch and have to bat RH against Pettite--if he's going to play him have him bat from the left side he may find he should be batting from that side all the time. His BA from the right side I think is under .200. It would seem like a good weekend to have Lavarnway play since he will be back with the PawSox Mon.

Sections
Shortcuts