My Trade Target: Kendry Morales (or Trumbo)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

My Trade Target: Kendry Morales (or Trumbo)

Right handed, power hitting 1B. Had a HUGE breakout year in 2009 when he was 27. 50 games into the following season, which was a statistical continuuation of 2009, he had the infamous home plate jump that snapped his leg. Missed the rest of 2010, and AL of 2011. This year he's been good/OK. He turns 30 next June.

LAA just ponied up a ton of cash for Pujols. Also, they have Trumbo sort of out of position in LF.

Morales is ONLY a DH for them. He's kind of what Ortiz is to the Sox, except given the team they have, he's also not a 3 or 4 hitter on LA. But he would be in Boston.

In fact, there are parallels to another Boston player: Ellsbury. Both are FA in 2014. Both are clients of Borass. Ellsbury had a Monster 2010 and missed most of 2009 and 2011. Morales had a monster 2009, and missed most of 2010 and 2011.

I would swap them.

I don't think Ellsbury is long for the Sox, and I think Borass will look for a Crawford-esque deal. Will he get it? Probably not, but he's going to get paid big dollars.

Morales, on the other hand, is a player that doesn't have such unique skills. He's another 1B in a league FULL of quality 1B, and he, nor Borass, could possibly make a case for him to be anywhere near the Texeira/Gonzalez/Pujols/Fielder/Howard type deals.

Even if I could have either for only a single year, I'd take Morales. He embodies mroe of what this team is lacking: right handed, power hitting, decent average. Ellsbury's best season that he is unlikely to replicate didn't even get the Sox in the playoffs, I don't see him as a piece to build around, and there are intriguing prospects coming through the system that could replace him.

The Sox haven't produced a power hitter in their system since Mo Vaughn, so I'm not holding my breath another one will materialize anytime soon.

I think LAA would absolutely be willing to move him.

Or, I would happily make a play for the 26 year old Trumbo. Though, given HIS age, and controllability, I think he'd be VERY expensive to pry away.

Either one I view as a long term solution to a problem. Obviously Trumbo would be a longer solution that Morales, but I'd be surprised if Morales didn't put up at least another 3 or 4 good years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: My Trade Target: Kendry Morales (or Trumbo)

If Boston ever want Morales, then Boston got to let Papi walks away from the club.  Heck no way that Boston would have two of them in the line up who are both the slowest runner in MBL as well both of them have leg or foot issues.  

I wouldnt trade Ellsbury for him.  Boston need a good speedy CF.  Kalish isnt the answer.  Meaning Boston better find a CF before they think about trading Ellsbury for Morales.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Angels won't value Ells as high as we value Ells.  Angels won't kill for another speedy OF.  If Angels are willing to part with Trumbo, I say go after him, not after Morales.  Trumbo will come with high price tag but he worth alot more than getting Morales paying alot less.  Morales has his own merit since he's a switch hitting guy but like Uconn13 said above, Morales and Ortiz in the lineup (probably 3 & 4) doesn't make whole lot of sense.  Plus we will face same problem again when we play at national league fields. 

If somehow we get Trumbo in a deal, Angels will be without their LF and Jerry Sands come in to fill his position.  Good defensive skill, strong arm, and potential 25-30 HR guy.  I don't mind Sox using Sands as our 1B though.  Angels will want young pitching as well and we have Rubby DLR.  I think Sands and Rubby (plus mid-level prospect) will get the deal done but I don't quite see the point of getting Trumbo by giving up Sands and Rubby.  So I'm opposed to this trade.  We have plenty of young talents, just like Trumbo, that we could try next season.  Either Sands or Lavarnway could be the man at 1B or even Loney could be back for next season.     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

On one hand I think Morales as a 'Switch Hitter' could assume 1B on the Sox and a middle of the line-up presence, however and on the other hand, if he is a Boras client and would look to test free agency after one year I'd say forget about it.

Now if Morales is looking for a change and a chance to play 1B (he won't get that in LA with Phat Albert there) then maybe he'd be willing to sign a contract extension with Boston.

Trumbo would be a good fit for Boston also as a power hitting RH bat playing LF. These guys would not come cheaply though and my require a lot of prospects to bring them here.

I'd like to use this offseason to try an extend Ellsbury...if Boras wants to take him to FA then the Sox should move him, although I don't think the Angels would be a fit, not with Trout in CF.

With all that said, I'd also be OK with a Napoli/Loney 1B combination with Napoli also backing up at catcher.

What say you t-ballers? OMG where did that come from?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

I love Trumbo. Tremendous power. He's be a dream in Fenway Park.
    Morales is s switch hitter, not RH.
    By far a lesser target, but could be an adequate fill in as a DH.
    Not sure he has the mobility to play first anymore.
    Napoli? All day long. Can play C, 1B, and DH.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You speak of youth, then mention these two foggies.

Trombo is just 26 and averages 34 HRs and 100 RBIs per 650 PAs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

. ..in a big park-- you of the park factor mentality.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

trade whatever our top 3 prospects are + ells for trout

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wow, what a beauty!
    Hey Mr. Softbrain, you d realize that Mark Trumbo is only 26 years old, and was an All Star this season. He hit 29 HRs, 87 RBI last year, and has 30/ 83/.830 OPS, already this year. He plays 1st, 3rd, and OF, so how is that not versitile? 35/100 guys don't grow on trees.
    Morales is an doddering 29 year old.
    Trumbo makes 500K and Morales 2.85 million. Hardly expensive salary wise.
    Nobody knows the condition of VMart, except he can't play, nearly a full year after his injury.
    It's unknown if he'll ever play. At least pine for someone who can walk!
    Do some research before making idiotic statements.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:

Wow, what a beauty!
    Hey Mr. Softbrain, you d realize that Mark Trumbo is only 26 years old, and was an All Star this season. He hit 29 HRs, 87 RBI last year, and has 30/ 83/.830 OPS, already this year. He plays 1st, 3rd, and OF, so how is that not versitile? 35/100 guys don't grow on trees.
    Morales is an doddering 29 year old.
    Trumbo makes 500K and Morales 2.85 million. Hardly expensive salary wise.
    Nobody knows the condition of VMart, except he can't play, nearly a full year after his injury.
    It's unknown if he'll ever play. At least pine for someone who can walk!
    Do some research before making idiotic statements.

That would take all the fun out of it! LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Why would we trade for him if he's gonna be a free agent after next year? I'd rather trade Ells for pitching, not for hitting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Nice thought.  Not happening.  Trout is the franchise.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Trade our only CF for a 1B with the same OPS, to replace a 1B who might wind up with the same OPS as the other two guys?  You are more or less giving Ellsbury away for free.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I’ve mentioned Morales in a couple of posts as a potential 1B next season, but he has some drawbacks.

First, as someone mentioned, he is a switch hitter, not a right-handed hitter. I’ll take that a step further. He is a left-handed hitter (career OPS .864) who thinks he can hit right-handed (career OPS .687).

Defensively, he is less than agile. He probably won’t kill you at 1B, but he will never be an asset defensively. Should he ever return to his 2009 form offensively, this does matter a lot less.

I would not deal Ellsbury for him. Fortunately, OF is not the Angels most glaring need, with Trumbo (who they will not deal cheaply, as you indicate) and Trout holding two positions for the forseeable future. They also have Vernon Wells (2 yrs / $42mill left) and Peter Bourjos to round out the OF. They have glaring holes at 3B and in that sieve they call a bullpen. And maybe catcher, depending on Iannetta’s option and their feelings about Hank Conger.

MLBTR did list Morales as a potential non-tender candidate, which is the only reason I would consider him a target, but the Angels might feel differently about him. Were he cheap enough to get with Aceves or Bard, I pull the trigger yesterday. For Ellsbury, I pass. It’s not worth it. I could see the Sox moving Ellsbury for a RHH power bat, and think Mike Morse is a more likely target for several reasons, all of which relate to Washington’s needs and depth. Were I to bet on it, I would think Ellsbury is dealt for prospect(s), likely to Texas or Atlanta, and then some sort of prospect package would be used to get a SP or a LF (preferably Upton).

Of course, were I to bet on it, I would bet Texas gets Upton on their own, and the Sox move Ellsbury to Atlanta for a pitching prospect or two, and then package some of that return with an ex-Dodger or two to fill some other needs...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

You won't get Mike Trout for that.  Maybe Mike Carp?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Trout is an untouchable. He is currently the most exciting player in the game.

It would be interesting to see if the Angels  would trade Trout even up for King Felix.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

It would be interesting to see if the Angels  would trade Trout even up for King Felix.

The $20M Felix for the minimum wage Trout?  No chance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Stated differently, six years of 21-year-old Mike Trout for two expensive years of 26-year-old Felix Hernandez.

No way.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Grow up Softbrain!
    You like calling players that you know very little about, names.
    Bums seems you favorite. It probably fits you better than them.
    Oh, and Trumbo's numbers dwarf your enamorato, Justin Upton's.
    Yet, you want to trade half the franchise for him. Oh, and just what has Upton carried the DBacks to?
    The more you babble, it becomes very clear, you are just an empty barrel, who makes a lot of noise.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I agree with you. 

The Angels are keeping Trout. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm with Trotter - Trumbo is fool's gold.  He's got a big swing that sends the ball a long way when it connects, which is 30 times a year, but for the other 600 PAs in the year, he's one of the most likely players in the lineup to make an out.  He's basically a right-handed Salty but without a catcher's mitt.  And the only position he can play half-way decently is first base, which blocks a potentially much better hitter.

My trade target would be Carlos Gonzalez - here's a guy that could turn the club around in a hurry.  I don't think he's untouchable given the state of the Rockies, and would probably not be much more expensive than Upton in terms of prospects.  Yeah, he's a lefty, but if we have Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Pedroia and a right-handed 1B, plus the way Ortiz handles left-handed pitching, it doesn't really matter any more.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Once again, Solman's thinking is mind numbing.
    You're counting Lavarnway and pop gun Pedy as right handed power?
    Wow!
    Comparing Trumbo to Salty is absurd. Trumbo is hitting 40 points higher.
    Trumbo as a typical slugging 1st baseman is perfect for this team. He's only 26 years old,
    And who do you think the Sox are going to get in a trade for a 1st baseman? Prince? Pujols?
    WHO?
    Also, the LAST thing this team needs is another lefty OF, and one who has inflated Coors Field numbers, at that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:

Once again, Solman's thinking is mind numbing.
    You're counting Lavarnway and pop gun Pedy as right handed power?
    Wow!
    Comparing Trumbo to Salty is absurd. Trumbo is hitting 40 points higher.
    Trumbo as a typical slugging 1st baseman is perfect for this team. He's only 26 years old,
    And who do you think the Sox are going to get in a trade for a 1st baseman? Prince? Pujols?
    WHO?
    Also, the LAST thing this team needs is another lefty OF, and one who has inflated Coors Field numbers, at that.

Pedroia has an .869 OPS verse LHP.  Lavarnway hit .370 off lefties at Pawtucket.  It only takes 30 seconds of googling to spare yourself this embarrassment.

Victor Martinez would be my first choice, and since Detroit already has 2 first-basemen on the field, I think they would be willing to part with him, particularly if they miss the post-season and want to make a run at Hamilton.  Mike Napoli is another possibility.  If Jerry Sands pans out, he is also right-handed.

Sections
Shortcuts