My Trade Target: Kendry Morales (or Trumbo)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Re: My Trade Target: Kendry Morales (or Trumbo)

Gee, I didn't know Pawtucket AAA stats counted in MLB. Amazing!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump past the idiot

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Trumbo would only cost 500K!
    You lose. Again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

They are not going to give away VMART.  Cabrera played 3b all but seven games this year.

The plan was always Fielder at first, cabrera at third , VMART at DH.  They didnt bring in Prince to replace Vmart.  They were very excited about having all three.

I doubt Trumbo is available.  I think that team plans on contending for the next 3 years.  I dont know why theyd flip Trumbo after investing time into turning him into an OF to keep him in the lineup.  We'd have to pry him away, which means we;d have to give up a real lot.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Once again, Solman's thinking is mind numbing.
    You're counting Lavarnway and pop gun Pedy as right handed power?
    Wow!
    Comparing Trumbo to Salty is absurd. Trumbo is hitting 40 points higher.
    Trumbo as a typical slugging 1st baseman is perfect for this team. He's only 26 years old,
    And who do you think the Sox are going to get in a trade for a 1st baseman? Prince? Pujols?
    WHO?
    Also, the LAST thing this team needs is another lefty OF, and one who has inflated Coors Field numbers, at that.

[/QUOTE]

Mark Trumbo through age 26: .258 / .309 / .482 with 59HRs and 172 RBI and 264K / 61BB (4.33K/BB) in 1114PA.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia through age 26: .244 / .307 / .406 with 39HRs and 151RBI 370K/102BB (3.62K/BB) in 1285PA. Saltalamacchia is only 1 year older, and has since raised his career SLG to .418 (and dropped his OBP to .302.) Comparing the two is certainly not absurd. The only real question is which Trumbo is the real one – 2011 or 2012? If you take into account that Saltalamacchia is a catcher and Trumbo is a first baseman, then it becomes an absurd comparison in favor of Salty.

Now, comparing Justin Upton to Trumbo is absurd. Upton just turned 24, and is .276 / .358 / .473 with 104HR and 352RBI. His 682/297 K/BB splits translate to a 2.3K/BB. He dwarfs Trumbo in every conceivable way, unless you only look at 2012.

I am fairly certain there are other 1B out there besides Prince and Pujols. Personally, I think Mike Morse might not be a bad target for this team, although it is also very possible a short term free agent such as Carlos Pena or Kevin Youkilis (assuming no Bobby V) takes the position for one season.

Like you, I am not remarkably high on Gonzalez, and do like the idea of getting at least one RHH outfielder. Finding a solid name is tricky, unless SF does not pick up their option on Pence, and he might be asking for Jayson Werth-type deals, which should eliminate him right away. Upton is ideal, but half the league will be in on him if he is available at all. The “hidden gem” answers include Will Venable, but he is not without concerns, too. For example, he is not right-handed and has limited exposure to LHP. But then, isn’t that what Cody Ross is for?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Trumbo would only cost 500K!

Trumo would cost a lot in young talent, because he only costs 500K.

You lose, always.

The Tigers had no long term plans to keep Miggy at 3rd. A year removed from the decision to sign Fielder, which hasn't worked in 2012, there is no doubt the Tigers will look to move Miggy to more DH.

The Tigers will look to make changes in a construction plan that has failed. VMart will cost almost nothing in young talent to acquire because of his age and his contract bas. There is no way the Tigers are going to go with Fieler and Miggy and stack another 13M at DH, given the failure of the 2012 construction.

Trumbo is a nothing but a pipe dream, and a bad pipe dream. He will cost a lot in young talent and he's not worth it.

Trumbo could easily be a waste. I like the Saltalamacchia comparisons. Let the Angels have him. No way he will be worth what the Angels will want.

I do like the Martinez / Napoli suggestions. Obviously, Napoli is the easier guy to acquire, being a FA. While the Tigers did have some reported designs on having all three in their lineup, there is no way any sane baseball man can look at that arrangement and not think We probably should have some defense. This is exactly how we ruined 2008.

The fact that Cabrera played 3B THIS season, and their DH spot has been bounced around to guys like Andy Dirks, Delmon Young, Danny Worth, and several other lesser names, all but proves the plan was the long term idea. They gave away hot corner defensive whiz kid Brandon Inge to accommodate the bat of Andy Dirks this year? Not likely.

That said, their infield defense redefines the word horrendous. If Omar Infante fails to make a play, then all hope is truly lost. Jhonny Peralta has a reasonable option for next season, but if they bring him back to play SS, and leave those two menhir-handed monoliths at the corners, you have to wonder if they will ever realize that their infield has less range than a Red Rider BB Gun.

While I doubt Martinez comes easy, it won’t be crippling, either. The Tigers clearly want to win today. They DESPERATELY need middle infield defense, and need it 4 months ago. They seem to eschew defense-only players like Iglesias (and Inge), so if they have not learned from that mistake, doubtful they ever will. And certainly the Aviles / DeJesus / Ciricao crowd won’t get back Martinez.

Pitching, as always, is a need for Detroit, too.

The Sox major league expendables are bullpen arms, and some spare parts (Sweeney, the aforementioned utility infielders), and one of the catchers. While no match up is clear, certainly something could be worked out.

I still want to see non-hitter Iglesias as shortstop, but he should be in a Martinez deal, assuming the Detroit FO has any clue at all. On the other hand, Napoli might be there for the taking, and he is growing on me. I’ve thrown around names like Morse and Willingham as options, and Napoli is essentially the same hitter as both of them, or at least has been over the last 3 years. If Napoli would sign a 3 or 4 year deal, make him the higher priority. In 3 years, he will be the same age Martinez is now, and can presumably still play catcher every now and then. (Martinez really shouldn’t after knee surgery.) If the price or years for Napoli is exorbitant, and Martinez can be had for, say Bard and Iglesias, that trigger might be worth pulling instead…

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Drew, you will ned to provide your specific plans for 1B and DH for 2013. I assume you are a big fan of Loney, LOL!

DH - Ortiz.

1B...I'd stay away from signing a C to play 1B (like Napoli) because the production vs value scale is completely different.  A .280, 15 HR player is an average first baseman worht about 8M / yr; however, the that same production would warrant a significantly higher pricetag if the player filled the C position .  Therefore, a player like Napoli has a ton more value at C than he does at 1B.  And if you are signing him to be a 1B, you are competing with teams that want to play him at C (meaning he'll be more valuable to their team than he would be to yours).  You'll either overpay or wind up outbid.

If a big dollar free agent who makes sense becomes available (and I dont see any), Id be intrigued.  We need to start adding cornerstones and we are a big market team.  Being a big market team does NOT mean that you fill all of your positions with high priced free agents, rather, it means that you use all means necessary to field the best possible team (other than a small market team who can only use some of the avenues of fielding a competitive team due to ).  But I hate signing free agents for its own sake or for the perception of making a splash.  I feel that is what caused us to overpay for Craw.  We signed Craw because we wanted to make a splash; however, due to supply/demand conditions in the free agent market, we wound up grossly overpaying.  However, I am equally against rigid rules.  I think every decision should be evaluated independently.  Therefore, I do not buy into the theory "Sox should avoid all expensive free agents."  There are some expensive free agents that work out (Matt Holliday).

So personally, I evaluate all of my options and choose the one that makes the most sense.  If an elite 1B isnt available via free-agency, I look into short-term fill ins who will give you avg production (LaRoche? Dunn?  Youk?).  But I would keep these contracts small.  I would scour the trade front and see if anyone was available.

I'd love to get VMART if possible; however, I dont think that the Tigers are eager to dump him.  I'd certainly kick the tires, but I'd kick a lot of tires.  I'd look at all of my options and make a decision.  I'd only pay a high cost of acquistion for an elite player.  However, if an elite player was available, I'd be more than willing to pay the high cost (both in prospects and $$), because elite players only come around so often.

There is no replacement for talent, and we are seeing that this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Notin can knock Fielder and Cabrera at the corners, all he wants.
    Both actually have good hands, and Cabrera has a good accurate arm.
    Everyone got wet shorts from AGon playing a few games in RF this year, as being such a team player.
    How about Cabrera going to 3rd for his team?
    I guarntee you, whatever their range allows in for runs, these guys more than make up for it at the plate.
    Now wait for some crapola cherry picked stats to appear.
    As far as VMart, he's been out a year. Is ther any guarnatee he can even play?
    Yeah, let's get him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Maybe we should set our sights a little higher - how about going after Cabrera instead of VMart?  Cabrera doesn't belong at 3B, and that would free up enough payroll for Detroit to go after a Hamilton or Greinke, neither of whom is a good fit for Boston. 

We could trade Middlebrooks - Bogaerts looks like the better long-term option at 3rd (he doesn't project as a SS) and we can patch together another year or two with free agents (Youk, Chavez or Rolen) and Ciriaco and De Jesus.

Cabrera would immediately replace the production lost by Gonzalez, and we would still have plenty of cash and prospects to address the rotation.  Colby Lewis might be a really good signing - he's unlikely to get top dollar since he is not currently healthy, but most pitchers bounce back from Tommy John without incident these days, and we're probably looking beyond 2013 at this point anyway.

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Cabrera
    Chavez / Youk
    Ross
    Salty / Lavarnway
    Kalish / Sweeney
    Iglesias / Ciriaco / De Jesus

Buchholz
    Lester
    Lewis
    Lackey
    Tazawa

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Notin can knock Fielder and Cabrera at the corners, all he wants.
    Both actually have good hands, and Cabrera has a good accurate arm.
    Everyone got wet shorts from AGon playing a few games in RF this year, as being such a team player.
    How about Cabrera going to 3rd for his team?
    I guarntee you, whatever their range allows in for runs, these guys more than make up for it at the plate.
    Now wait for some crapola cherry picked stats to appear.
    As far as VMart, he's been out a year. Is ther any guarnatee he can even play?
    Yeah, let's get him.

Cabrera is the worst 3B in the league, by a mile.  Jeter has good hands, too, but the ball isn't always hit at your hands.  Sometimes you have to move to get it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Says Sloman, who keeps wanting to trade the best young position player, since Pedroia came up.
    Why anyone is their right mind would advocate trading Will Middlebrooks, is beyond me.
    Not only is he a talent, but, he has the makeup to thrive in Boston.
    I'm sure Bogaerts can play some OF position, or stay at SS.
    Oh, and just how are we going to get Detroit to trade the best hitter in baseball, and likely MVP?
    I love Cabrera, but, I want what you're smoking.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Trumbo seems a crap shoot to me.  A "free" 2013 season plus 3 years of arb will drive his sticker price up....for a non-elite guy, poor plate management, not a good fielder, elite 1st half in 2012, but coming back to earth violently.....

I'd much rather overpay ($ terms) for a VMart-type, or spread peanuts around for a group like Jeremy Giambi, Ortiz, Mueller and Millar or a bit more for LaRoche-types.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wow! A Jeremy Giambi! Think big! You don't.

This isn't a small market team, needing to go after crippled players who haven't played in a year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

This isn't a small market team, needing to go after crippled players who haven't played in a year.

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

A non response response.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you ever tire of being so relentlessly negative, righty?  Every team needs some bargains.....the group I mentioned was acquired in the winter of 02/03....Giambi Jrs' OPS in 2002 was .919.  Mueller later won a batting title.  Millar was a key member of the team for years and Ortiz became an elite hitter.  The collectively cost almost nothing (Josh Hancock and cash) and only the one with the best track record, Giambi, failed.

I repeat, I don't think Trumbo is worth spending much on....when there are likely to be other, more reasonably priced options available as there are every year.

p.s. - I think you are confusing your Giambis.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

How is advocating any number of players the Sox should consider, being relentlessly negative?

I've offered many opinions on the subject, that were far from negative.

This is a team with lots of money to spend, and it doesn't have to dumpster dive. The Sox fans deserve better than the team acting like a small market team. There's nothing wrong with finding a bargain, but not as the main method of player acquisition.

You're the one confusing Giambis. Jason was the star. Jeremy was a journeyman.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

How is advocating any number of players the Sox should consider, being relentlessly negative?

I've offered many opinions on the subject, that were far from negative.

This is a team with lots of money to spend, and it doesn't have to dumpster dive. The Sox fans deserve better than the team acting like a small market team. There's nothing wrong with finding a bargain, but not as the main method of player acquisition.

You're the one confusing Giambis. Jason was the star. Jeremy was a journeyman.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously - 10 seconds of googling will yield Jeremy Giambi's OPS in 2002 - .919.  How can you expect anybody to regard you with credibility when you are so willfully mis-informed?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Middlebrooks will not get you Miguel Cabrerra, the best hitter in MLB.  Hes not even a starting point.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wow! I didn't know the obscure jeremy Giambi's 2002 sttats, so I must be a dolt.

Think small! YOU do.

Now, to Cabrera, on MLB they were talking about Miguel's possible run at the triple crown.

One commentator said, if he does that, he has to be MVP. Another one said, "Trout is having a far better season than Cabrera." What? in stolen bases? As a fielder, sure. But Trout doesn't come close to Cabrera's stats, or his importance to his team.

Cabrera has a 983 OPS to 906 for Trout, HR. 36 to 27, RBI 118 to 779 granted, Trout hits leadoff). Plus, Cabrera has sacrificed himself for his team, by moving to 3rd base, to accomodate Prince.

Hellooooo! It doesn't get any better than winning the triple crown, which hasn't been done since Yaz in 1967.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Right handed, power hitting 1B. Had a HUGE breakout year in 2009 when he was 27. 50 games into the following season, which was a statistical continuuation of 2009, he had the infamous home plate jump that snapped his leg. Missed the rest of 2010, and AL of 2011. This year he's been good/OK. He turns 30 next June.

LAA just ponied up a ton of cash for Pujols. Also, they have Trumbo sort of out of position in LF.

Morales is ONLY a DH for them. He's kind of what Ortiz is to the Sox, except given the team they have, he's also not a 3 or 4 hitter on LA. But he would be in Boston.

In fact, there are parallels to another Boston player: Ellsbury. Both are FA in 2014. Both are clients of Borass. Ellsbury had a Monster 2010 and missed most of 2009 and 2011. Morales had a monster 2009, and missed most of 2010 and 2011.

I would swap them.

I don't think Ellsbury is long for the Sox, and I think Borass will look for a Crawford-esque deal. Will he get it? Probably not, but he's going to get paid big dollars.

Morales, on the other hand, is a player that doesn't have such unique skills. He's another 1B in a league FULL of quality 1B, and he, nor Borass, could possibly make a case for him to be anywhere near the Texeira/Gonzalez/Pujols/Fielder/Howard type deals.

Even if I could have either for only a single year, I'd take Morales. He embodies mroe of what this team is lacking: right handed, power hitting, decent average. Ellsbury's best season that he is unlikely to replicate didn't even get the Sox in the playoffs, I don't see him as a piece to build around, and there are intriguing prospects coming through the system that could replace him.

The Sox haven't produced a power hitter in their system since Mo Vaughn, so I'm not holding my breath another one will materialize anytime soon.

I think LAA would absolutely be willing to move him.

Or, I would happily make a play for the 26 year old Trumbo. Though, given HIS age, and controllability, I think he'd be VERY expensive to pry away.

Either one I view as a long term solution to a problem. Obviously Trumbo would be a longer solution that Morales, but I'd be surprised if Morales didn't put up at least another 3 or 4 good years.

[/QUOTE]

I liked Kendry when he was coming up and he would probably be an upgrade at 1B if he can regain his plate discipline.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow! I didn't know the obscure jeremy Giambi's 2002 sttats, so I must be a dolt.

Think small! YOU do.

Now, to Cabrera, on MLB they were talking about Miguel's possible run at the triple crown.

One commentator said, if he does that, he has to be MVP. Another one said, "Trout is having a far better season than Cabrera." What? in stolen bases? As a fielder, sure. But Trout doesn't come close to Cabrera's stats, or his importance to his team.

Cabrera has a 983 OPS to 906 for Trout, HR. 36 to 27, RBI 118 to 779 granted, Trout hits leadoff). Plus, Cabrera has sacrificed himself for his team, by moving to 3rd base, to accomodate Prince.

Hellooooo! It doesn't get any better than winning the triple crown, which hasn't been done since Yaz in 1967.

[/QUOTE]

Trout has a .965 OPS, and 45 SB caught only 4 times.  And he's a terrific fielder, rather than a liability.  

Being ignorant of a fact is no crime - it's attacking another poster based on a fact that only exists in your head that makes you an idiot.