My Trade Target: Kendry Morales (or Trumbo)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Re: My Trade Target: Kendry Morales (or Trumbo)

Keep it up Sloman.
    You are a lobotomized catatonic, when it comes to baseball and any decent ideas.
    Are you still crying over AGon being traded, and still think it was a lousy trade?
    Gee, the Dodgers are 6-10 with your hero hitting in the low .200s with one HR in his first at bat and zero since.
    It WAS A GREAT TRADE! Got it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"There is no replacement for talent, and we are seeing that this year"

Actually, the Red Sox had plenty of talent, but stunk. It's not talent, there's plenty of that in MLB. It's how it's constructed and the type of player leadership that is in it.

VMart missed a year, has age and, though short term, an expensive base contract. He would come for nothing but farm scraps and losers like Aviles. Napoli's likely to get a 3 year contract, which should be a no go. If it's two years, that makes some sense.

Without Ortiz, AGon, and now Pedroia, we are getting to see how good the Red Sox franchise player is. Not very good.

[/QUOTE]

When I wrote: "There is no replacement for talent, and we are seeing that this year" , I simply meant that with the trade the Sox went from mediocre to terrible.  Which is okay, because had they not made the trade there would have been no escape from the mediocrity.

However, wanting to replace elite players w internal options has failed.  I understand the hesitance to spend 22M on an elite player (.300, 30 HR)  , when you could spend 11M and get .280, 20 HR.  However, you have to pay a premium for elite players even though the law of diminishing returns certainly applies.  A firstbaseman who will hit 10HR is worth about 6M on the open market.  One who will 20 is worth about 11.  One who will hit 30 is worth about 20M.   Even though you pay more for each HR between 20 and 30 then you would between 10 and 20, you still have to be willing to do it, because elite players are worth the premium.

If you have a 1B and DH who will hit 20 HR each, that creates a power void.  Thats how you end up having to look for power at defense first positions (e.g. Salty and Aviles).  I completely agree w you about construction.  However, I think that the ideal constructions are as follows: One elite hitting corner-outfielder, one elite hitting 1B, one elite hitting DH.  If you have an elite 3-4-5, things fall into place.  You can find a good OBP guy and stick him second.  YOu can find a speedy/OBP guy for 10M and bat him leadoff....

But I think its worth it to pay a premium for elite hitters at offensive positions because if you are not getting 85 HR's from your 3,4,5 hitters, it's very hard to compete.

I am in the minority here, but I strongly believe that your team should be built around your 3,4,5 hitters.  NOT PITCHING.  Pitching is too variable year to year.  Its a crapshoot.  Therefore , you should not throw huge dollars at pitchers (unless of course, you get the chance to obtain a Jered Weaver type).  

There is no replacement for having elite power hitters at the 3,4,5 in your lineup.  "We'll compensate by having power throughout our lineup"...That doesnt work because now you are looking for power at 2B, SS, C and you'll have to overpay for it (both in $$ and w poor defense).

We'll compensate by having good pitching...That doesnt work because you never know how your pitching is going to be.  Look at Lester, Lincecum, Zito....Any pitcher, at any time, can revert to crap.  You shouldnt build your teams around unknowns.  And any obtainable pitcher is an unknown.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

First of all, Trumbo? Please. Why would the Angels part with a very young power hitting player who can play OF, 1B and 3B?

Morales is a huge injury risk. Yes, he had a great season in 2009, but that was 2009. He played 51 games in 2010, didn't play at all last year, and this year his numbers are okay.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keep it up Sloman.
    You are a lobotomized catatonic, when it comes to baseball and any decent ideas.
    Are you still crying over AGon being traded, and still think it was a lousy trade?
    Gee, the Dodgers are 6-10 with your hero hitting in the low .200s with one HR in his first at bat and zero since.
    It WAS A GREAT TRADE! Got it?

[/QUOTE]

6-10 in 18 games?  I think you forgot to carry the one.

Gonzalez may be struggling, but he's got 13 RBIs in 18 games.  You know how long it took for James Loney to get 13 RBIs?  In fact, Gonzalez has driven in every Dodger run in their past four games.  I don't think he's the problem.  I don't think Beckett and his 3.38 ERA in 4 games is a problem for them either.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First of all, Trumbo? Please. Why would the Angels part with a very young power hitting player who can play OF, 1B and 3B?

Morales is a huge injury risk. Yes, he had a great season in 2009, but that was 2009. He played 51 games in 2010, didn't play at all last year, and this year his numbers are okay.

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY why I'd go after him. He has shown close to an elite production level, and if not for a FREAK injury, his 2010 was shaping up comparably. This, his first season in 18 months hasn't been great, but he hasn't seen live pitching in over a year!

Guys with production like this cost considerably less. He was top dog on LAA, by the time he came back, Pujols was signed, Trumbo had emerged, and now Trout is earning MVP mentions. Must be a blow to the ego to be honest. The guy must look around him and wonder "what if I never broke my leg."

Change of scenery might be all it takes to relight a serious fire under him. I'm not saying it's lacking, maybe his numbers this year will be what he is going forward, but I doubt he's going to slide back in the next 3-4 years, and he likely will improve somewhat next year, and possibly beyond.

The intent is to get players BEFORE they have played their best. Not after watching them rake for 2 years, spend a ton of prospects, then 2 tons of money for a guy that can't possibly live up to the contract. Or watch a guy kill you for years, then overpay for a 30 year old. NO! Sometimes you take a chance (Mueller, Millar, ORTIZ, LOWELL) and it pays off in spades.

Also, why would they ever move Trumbo?

They paid Pujols, Wilson and Weaver a lot of money.  2/42 left for Wells, and Hunter is done after this year. Dan Haren makes roughly 22 over the next 2 years. Kendrick and Aybar (SS and 2B) between them, get about 18 per season.

Are they going to just pay everyone? We've seen how well THAT works, in more than one place (PHI, BOS, NYY and Mets, DET, and LAA). Trumbo, Trout and Frieri (closer) are all controllable, but once arbitration kicks in, they ALL will be seeing significant raises.

With the shedding of recent salaries, if we could get Trumbo, I'd take on Wells for his remaining 2 years and deal with ONE albatross.

Very reasonable to think LAA would listen to ffers for Trumbo. It would certainly cost a LOT, but if they wanted to dump Wells, it would bring the cost down, and the Sox can afford to take on a mess like that for short term.

7. This post has been removed.