Myths Dispelled #1: Sox Management Overly-Conservative in Promoting Young Prospects to Big Club

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Myths Dispelled #1: Sox Management Overly-Conservative in Promoting Young Prospects to Big Club

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Craig Hanson is the best example of bring up a player to early.

Yes, too early.

I'm still waiting for someone to name names of all the great Sox prospects held down too long, compare that number to the ones brought up too early or right on time, and then make your point again.

You're not seriously expecting softlaw, geo or ADG to support their position with actual facts are you?

maybe you should tell Lucchino that he is wrong about being very conservative about moving players up....after all you seem to know more than him

So now you take his word as gold?Maybe we should have brought all those guys up at age 20-21, because thats about all his statement could suggest.

We have listed names over the last decade of the Sox prospects that were brought up at the age of 22-23. Those are plain facts that CANT be disputed.

im not exactly how you were taught to read stats, but im pretty sure the Red sox are in the lower 50% in last decade promoting players in every category except for one....so wouldnt that make them considerably conservative????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Myths Dispelled #1: Sox Management Overly-Conservative in Promoting Young Prospects to Big Club

Yes, too early.

I'm still waiting for someone to name names of all the great Sox prospects held down too long, compare that number to the ones brought up too early or right on time, and then make your point again.

You're not seriously expecting softlaw, geo or ADG to support their position with actual facts are you?

maybe you should tell Lucchino that he is wrong about being very conservative about moving players up....after all you seem to know more than him

So now you take his word as gold?Maybe we should have brought all those guys up at age 20-21, because thats about all his statement could suggest.

We have listed names over the last decade of the Sox prospects that were brought up at the age of 22-23. Those are plain facts that CANT be disputed.

im not exactly how you were taught to read stats, but im pretty sure the Red sox are in the lower 50% in last decade promoting players in every category except for one....so wouldnt that make them considerably conservative????

when comparing the sox to teams with low budgets, of course theyre going to be in the lower percentile. They dont have to rush young guys up.

The arguement was age and we proved that they have no issue promoting players at a young age. All the names provided are on the current roster. Im still not understanding what your complaint is.

I think the questions to you is, who are the players that they held down too long? And what was the reason that player was held down longer?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Yes, too early.

when comparing the sox to teams with low budgets, of course theyre going to be in the lower percentile. They dont have to rush young guys up.

The arguement was age and we proved that they have no issue promoting players at a young age. All the names provided are on the current roster. Im still not understanding what your complaint is.

I think the questions to you is, who are the players that they held down too long? And what was the reason that player was held down longer?

really? how many were promotoed to fill an injury in the past three years? this is why JB is such a big deal...i challenge anyone to tell me the last Rookie who went from the minor leagues to starting in the Red Sox without the usual up/down nonsense the sox are known for...better yet, a position player....so the facts that show the Sox in the last DECADE were ranked an average of....?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes, too early.

really? how many were promotoed to fill an injury in the past three years? this is why JB is such a big deal...i challenge anyone to tell me the last Rookie who went from the minor leagues to starting in the Red Sox without the usual up/down nonsense the sox are known for...better yet, a position player....so the facts that show the Sox in the last DECADE were ranked an average of....?

I wont argue that there have been a couple guys the Sox did this with, Reddick being the most recent. Then again he didnt really light things up when given the opportunity. Kalish wouldve had a spot if he wasnt injured all the time.

But the original complaint was holding them down too long.
    Once again, what players were held down and didnt come up til they were a bit older that the Sox were being conservative with?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Yes, too early.

I wont argue that there have been a couple guys the Sox did this with, Reddick being the most recent. Then again he didnt really light things up when given the opportunity. Kalish wouldve had a spot if he wasnt injured all the time.

Once again, what players were held down and didnt come up til they were a bit older that the Sox were being conservative with?

look at the pawtucket roster in 2011 and see if there were anyone there who couldve filled in for any of those sorry pitchers in sept...but facts are facts....they are 19th in promting and thier gm/pres larry l says they are conservative...and im still waiting for the name of the last sox rookie to start the season for the sox who didnt yoyo at least once

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yes, too early.

look at the pawtucket roster in 2011 and see if there were anyone there who couldve filled in for any of those sorry pitchers in sept...but facts are facts....they are 19th in promting and thier gm/pres larry l says they are conservative...and im still waiting for the name of the last sox rookie to start the season for the sox who didnt yoyo at least once

That would be Dustin Pedroia.  And you spent the entire offseason telling us how awful he was going to be...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Yes, too early.

That would be Dustin Pedroia.  And you spent the entire offseason telling us how awful he was going to be...

dustin had played late 2006...thats where he got the nickname from me - because he was so bad in that call up period...im talking from pawtucket to Boston at the START of the season....but even then that was 7 years ago....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes, too early.

Ok, Pedey...Now Im still waiting for the names of the players they were conservative with over the last decade...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Yes, too early.

LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Myths Dispelled #1: Sox management has not promoted hardly any young prospects for opening day, other than Pedroia.

The issue isn't who is being promoted, the issue is when. Space is working overtime to try and defend sending Bradley to the minors. His "I'm on the board" was cowardly CYA. He's working so hard to defend Red Sox managment, that he's framing the issue in a way that has nothing to do with the issue of Bradley "breaking camp" with the "big club". And I hate those childish terms.

As for Bradley?  I agree he seems to have more talent than all of our FA signings in the OF.  Hopefully he gets rewarded for his efforts but I don't blame management for thinking he would have a decent spring at best and not be part of our 2013 plans after all the hype we gave Kalish. 

With others I also back management, at least through this season.  Salty? for the last two years has had worse "overall" numbers than Tek when he was more than done as our starter.  In my opinion a third should seal Salty's fate in Boston in favor of Lav or another getting the same opportunity.  Ells? " we know what he's capable of if he can stay healthy.  Again, we have this season to decide on his long term future.  Iggy? has been so bad offensively the past few years "although still very young" he dropped out of confidence with our FO, with Bogy's name even being mentioned more as our long term SS.  My biggest concerns in 2013? still lie with our SP staff.  Lackey, was one of our worst signings ever and Dempster should have never been signed over a youngster like McCarthy.  I think our offense is just good enough to make the playoffs if we stay healthy but it should be a tight race. 

Next season?   My opinion might change but I'm willing to see this year play out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Yes, too early.

Ok, Pedey...Now Im still waiting for the names of the players they were conservative with over the last decade...

sorry but pedey is nott he answer...give me the name of the last rookie to START the season w/o playing for the bosox the year before.....you know like BRADLEY will be/or should be

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes, too early.

sorry but pedey is nott he answer...give me the name of the last rookie to START the season w/o playing for the bosox the year before.....you know like BRADLEY will be/or should be

You give me the name/s of the players they have been conservative with.

there are plenty prospects on every team that come up for a COC in september, then start the next year, or get their chance to fill in due to injury. The point of this arguement isnt WHEN they come up, but at what age. being conservative with players suggest they wait too long to promote them, not if they come up mid season or start the year. Please stop avoiding my question and give me the names of the players they have been conservative with the last decade...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Yes, too early.

there are plenty prospects on every team that come up for a COC in september, then start the next year, or get their chance to fill in due to injury. The point of this arguement isnt WHEN they come up, but at what age. being conservative with players suggest they wait too long to promote them, not if they come up mid season or start the year. Please stop avoiding my question and give me the names of the players they have been conservative with the last decade...

how many years did Bowden languish in pawtucket....anyone? anyone?

its a good thing we had wakefield pitching in 2011 when we needed that win late in the season, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes, too early.

Haha!!! Bowden?? he got laced everytime he came up...By the way, where is he now and how good is he doing? Is that it? Michael Bowden? Come on Geo, with the way your going off about it I would think you would have a good list of guys who actually had a shot at being legit good MLB players...

If Michael Bowden is all you got then I think Im done here...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yes, too early.

Name any MLB position player for any team who came up throuhh the minors and was handed an opening day roster spot with no MLB experience....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Name any MLB position player for any team who came up throuhh the minors and was handed an opening day roster spot with no MLB experience....

[/QUOTE]

thank you

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Yes, too early.

he got laced everytime he came up...By the way, where is he now and how good is he doing? Is that it? Michael Bowden? Come on Geo, with the way your going off about it I would think you would have a good list of guys who actually had a shot at being legit good MLB players...

If Michael Bowden is all you got then I think Im done here...

he was in pawtucket 4 years...lol   felix D was officially a "rookie" last year despite pitching in 2010 for the sox....i know we had such a suplus of great pitching those years which is why they languished in the minors...LOL 

so let me get this straight - the stats show that the red sox are 19th in promoting players to the majors, they havent started a rookie since pedroia, they havent started a true rookie at the start of the season since NO One knows when, and larry Lucchino, Pres and CEO says the sox have been VERY CONSERVATIVE in promoting players...but that is not enough???

Why wasnt middlebrooks starting last season? did they really start the season with punto/aviles as better players on the depth chart?

why wasnt reddick given the chance to start after Drew left? Kalish has been up and down how many times? how many games was wakefield, smoltz, and all those other reject pitchers allowed to start when instead we could have had ANYONE in the minors give it a shot? the sox love to sign veteran players and pay them a kings ransom - how can you justify signing S Drew for ten mil when you have Pedro C and Iggy on board? why wasnt pedro C allowed to even make the team last season when he was the best player in spring training...turns out he and middlebrooks were pretty good...

why dont you just say I refuse to hear any facts on the subject, my mind is made up/im too embarrassed to admit im wrong...that would be honest at least

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

he was in pawtucket 4 years...lol   felix D was officially a "rookie" last year despite pitching in 2010 for the sox....i know we had such a suplus of great pitching those years which is why they languished in the minors...LOL 

so let me get this straight - the stats show that the red sox are 19th in promoting players to the majors, they havent started a rookie since pedroia, they havent started a true rookie at the start of the season since NO One knows when, and larry Lucchino, Pres and CEO says the sox have been VERY CONSERVATIVE in promoting players...but that is not enough???

Why wasnt middlebrooks starting last season? did they really start the season with punto/aviles as better players on the depth chart?

why wasnt reddick given the chance to start after Drew left? Kalish has been up and down how many times? how many games was wakefield, smoltz, and all those other reject pitchers allowed to start when instead we could have had ANYONE in the minors give it a shot? the sox love to sign veteran players and pay them a kings ransom - how can you justify signing S Drew for ten mil when you have Pedro C and Iggy on board? why wasnt pedro C allowed to even make the team last season when he was the best player in spring training...turns out he and middlebrooks were pretty good...

why dont you just say I refuse to hear any facts on the subject, my mind is made up/im too embarrassed to admit im wrong...that would be honest at least

Why was Bowden in Pawtucket for 4 years? I don't suppose it could have had anything to do woth the fact that every time he got a chance in Boston he stunk the joint out. And you don't bring up promising young players like Middlebrooks to ride the pine. And Reddick? Really? OK, 30 HRs last year, but his OPS was .768 hindered significantly by his miniscule .305 OBP. And here's some of the non Red Sox that came up for a cup of coffee before they became full time major leaguers.

Derek Jeter 1995 New York Yankees

Pedro Martinez 1992 LA Dodgers

David Price 2008 Tampa Bay Rays

Mike Trout 2011 LA Angels

Justin Upton 2007 Arizona Diamondbacks

Not to mention actual Hall of Famers like Bob Gibson and Jim Rice. Seriously my brother, sometimes it's best to just admit you got owned and move on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Another thing that might be mentioned.

The Red Sox have been one of the best teams in baseball over the past decade.

I have enjoyed watching them.

Okay people can get back to being outraged by how bad the Red Sox management team is again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The only 2 players the Sox really left in the minors too long I can think of are Youkilis and Wade Boggs.  And that lengthy list covers 30 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Why was Bowden in Pawtucket for 4 years? I don't suppose it could have had anything to do woth the fact that every time he got a chance in Boston he stunk the joint out. And you don't bring up promising young players like Middlebrooks to ride the pine. And Reddick? Really? OK, 30 HRs last year, but his OPS was .768 hindered significantly by his miniscule .305 OBP. And here's some of the non Red Sox that came up for a cup of coffee before they became full time major leaguers.

Not to mention actual Hall of Famers like Bob Gibson and Jim Rice. Seriously my brother, sometimes it's best to just admit you got owned and move on.

what you are essentially saying is that the Boston red Sox Pres and CEO doesnt know what he is talking about in regard to player promotion?  please address his statment...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The only 2 players the Sox really left in the minors too long I can think of are Youkilis and Wade Boggs.  And that lengthy list covers 30 years.

And with Youk, they had Bill mueller, who was a batting champion, playing 3b at the time.

But even like you stated Notin, thats 2 names in 30 years.

Guys like Bowden and Reddick werent exactly lighting things up when they got their chances.

Iggy did nothing last year to think he could hit MLB pitching enough to just hand him the starting ss job.

The Sox have been one of the best organizations the last decade. recently, they made a couple bad signings not thinking about the long term and it came back to bite them. They are back on course now and headed in the right direction again.

Guys like geo, adg and softy just need something to complain about and have egos too big to admit someone else makes a valid arguement.

I addressed LL's statement with the players I listed, but that wasnt good enough.

edit: Im done here. Ive stated my case. Im going to go watch the B's...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

what you are essentially saying is that the Boston red Sox Pres and CEO doesnt know what he is talking about in regard to player promotion?  please address hisstatment...

That's coreect. Both you and LL have something in common.

Neither of you have a clue, on the subject of prospects being kept in the minors too long.

And, you're both too stubborn to admit it.

I left out the BV thing, because that would just be piling on...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

what you are essentially saying is that the Boston red Sox Pres and CEO doesnt know what he is talking about in regard to player promotion?  please address hisstatment...

I'm pretty sure I've been saying that for a long time. And the issue here isn't Larry Lucchino's opinion, right or wrong. The issue I believe, is are the Sox too conservative in moving their young players forward. Quit trying to go all softlaw on us by trying to reframe the debate. One softlaw is more than enough thank you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I'm pretty sure I've been saying thatfor a long time. And the issue here isn't Larry Lucchino's opinion, right or wrong. The issue I believe, is are the Sox too conservative in moving their young players forward. Quit trying to go all softlaw on us by trying to reframe the debate. One softlaw is more than enough thank you.

why is it so hard to admit a mistake...whats with you folks? grow up...the sox are too cautious....did you really need LL to tell you that? how many dumpster signings do you have to endure before you realize that this org just dosnt count on rookies contributing? 

once again please explain to me how Aviles/punto made the team last spring but Middlebrooks/pedro C didnt (especially pedro given his performance/valentine's endorsement) even get a roster spot?

Sections
Shortcuts