1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Name one transaction......

....that Cherington has made since he has been GM, that has actually helped this team get better. The only one that most of you will cite is Cody Ross. If that is the case, why wasn't he re-signed?

After jettising Becket, Crawford and Agon, everyone assumed he had the payroll to acquire some good young talent to rebuild this team. Instead he goes out and gets a bunch of old guys, only one of which has had a decent career, but age is catching up to him. Not only that, but he way overpaid for these guys.

He never addressed the real problem which is the SP. There were several FA starters that were far better than Dempster but that is who he wanted all along. This GM is using his crystal ball to assemble a team to put on the field in 2017. He covets prospects like there will never be any more of them, hoping to be able to use them in two or three years. Unfortunately, two or three years never comes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Name one transaction......

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

....that Cherington has made since he has been GM, that has actually helped this team get better. The only one that most of you will cite is Cody Ross. If that is the case, why wasn't he re-signed?

After jettising Becket, Crawford and Agon, everyone assumed he had the payroll to acquire some good young talent to rebuild this team. Instead he goes out and gets a bunch of old guys, only one of which has had a decent career, but age is catching up to him. Not only that, but he way overpaid for these guys.

He never addressed the real problem which is the SP. There were several FA starters that were far better than Dempster but that is who he wanted all along. This GM is using his crystal ball to assemble a team to put on the field in 2017. He covets prospects like there will never be any more of them, hoping to be able to use them in two or three years. Unfortunately, two or three years never comes.

[/QUOTE]

you answered your own question... "After jettising Becket, Crawford and Agon"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

...that Cherington has made since he has been GM, that has actually helped this team get better. The only one that most of you will cite is Cody Ross. If that is the case, why wasn't he re-signed?

Vicente Padilla, Clayton Mortenson. Oops sorry. That was two. And my take on why C Ross hasn't been resigned yet is that he's been looking for 3 years and we were able to get Gomes who gives us pretty much the same things as C Ross for 2. I also wouldn't give up on Bailey just yet either. He was only an all star closer in Oakland.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

How does Ross not being re-signed for 2013 and beyond disqualify him as a transaction that helped the team in 2012? Because Adrian Beltre wasn't re-signed after 2010, does that mean he didn't help the team?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

...that Cherington has made since he has been GM, that has actually helped this team get better. The only one that most of you will cite is Cody Ross. If that is the case, why wasn't he re-signed?

Vicente Padilla, Clayton Mortenson. Oops sorry. That was two. And my take on why C Ross hasn't been resigned yet is that he's been looking for 3 years and we were able to get Gomes who gives us pretty much the same things as C Ross for 2. I also wouldn't give up on Bailey just yet either. He was only an all star closer in Oakland.

[/QUOTE]

Ok. I'll give you Padilla, although I think he also should have started some games. The jury is still out on Mortensen. Equating Gomes to C. Ross is quite a stretch. Bailey blew 3 save in 9 tries when he came back, and his WHIP was 1.89. Now, you could say he was coming off an injury and was rusty. Ok, maybe. Should we give Lackey the same consideration if he fails to pitch effectively? I believe if he doesn't win 15 games, these fans will become ballistic!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So tell us in your infinite wisdom, exactly what "good, young" talent was available?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok. I'll give you Padilla, although I think he also should have started some games. The jury is still out on Mortensen. Equating Gomes to C. Ross is quite a stretch. Bailey blew 3 save in 9 tries when he came back, and his WHIP was 1.89. Now, you could say he was coming off an injury and was rusty. Ok, maybe. Should we give Lackey the same consideration if he fails to pitch effectively? I believe if he doesn't win 15 games, these fans will become ballistic!

[/QUOTE]

That falls on Bobby V doesn't it? And as far as C Ross == Gomes, they both crush LH pitching and neither one can play defense. I don't think that's a big stretch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Maybe we should wait until we actually see the 2013 team play...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think most posters here aren't stupid enough to value pitchers from wins anymore.  There are a few horse-and-buggy thinking exceptions, of course, but most get it.

I remain cautiously optimistic that Lackey will be a good 3/4 SP for the rest of his contract.  The fact that he's paid like a 2 is irrelevant.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since he has only been on the job for a year, how do you conclude that '2 or 3 years never comes'?  Is there a prospect right now that needs a shot?  Could Iglesias or Lavarnway not benefit from more schooling?  Just because he is patient doesn't mean he is stupid.  Do the short (and thus overpay) contracts of this off-season not signal to you that the Brentz-Bradley-Ranaudo-et-al crop of blue chippers are set up to have their shot if they pan out?

And, who were the better-than-Dempster FAs?  Now, if you say McCarthy, I'll give you that.  Should have signed him.  He was cheap and he is a gamer.  But, all the better-than-Dempsters also got lengthy contracts ... which would be working against getting the kids a chance in a year or two.  

We can debate the merits of how he is putting this roster together for the short-term.  I am not sold on it.  I very much dislike the Drew signing.  But, if you cannot see the strategy Cherrington is employing, if you really think there is no plan, thats on you man.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Seeger88's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bailey came back during the season and was rusty. Lackey will be in spring training to shake off the rust. Didn't Ben pick up Ciriaco when nobody else would? Didn't he obtain Morales?

[/QUOTE]

Theo brought in Morales.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

team get better. The only one that most of you will cite is Cody Ross. If that is the case, why wasn't he re-signed?

There are at least 10:

1) The Dodger trade was one of the best trades this club has ever made. The fact that he ruined the blank slate later does not take away from the tremendous value that traded added to this team.

2) The Scutaro for Mortensen trade gave us several years of team control of Mort and gave up 1 year of control for Scoot. Aviles was a better SS than Scoot, and the money saved in the trade allowed us to sign Ross, Shoppach and Padilla.

3) Cody Ross signing made us better.

4) Shoppach signing made us better and brought Beato in return.

5) The Ciriaco signing made us better in 2013 and beyond.

6) The Pods purchase from the Phillies made us better.

7) The trade of Pods and Albers for Breslow was a very good trade.

8) The re-acquiring of Pods later was good.

9) The signing of Mauro Gomez was good.

10) The signing of Uehara was good for the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe we should wait until we actually see the 2013 team play...

[/QUOTE]

How dare you? A statement only a pink hat polyanna bootlicker would make.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

OkLilly I will take a shot. Signing Drew allows Iggy time to mature in his offense. No need having him hit under 200 and totally ruin his confidence. Not only that Drew is  good fielder and hitter prior to his injury which he just came back from.

Gomes will be Ross all over again. Many did not want Ross as he was a mediocre hitter and fielder according to many because of the previous year. Gomes will have a resurrection because he is a pure Fenway hitter.

Victoriino is a better RH hitter he will also hit better in Fenway. He. Plays all 3 OF positions.

Ross is the best back up catcher in MLB.

Most of all every signing this year gives the RS options and flexibility at every position. they also allow the kids to mature. Lastly they still have the ability to sign other FAs and make trades with out selling the farm.

I know none of the above will make you happy but it is how I see it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I thought that most free agents average 30 yrs. old at least. How is Ike going to sign 24 yr. old FAs?

Free agency is not the only route to improve a team ... other teams have gone the trade route and/or let the prospects develop.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Victorino, because when Ellsbury and his greedy agent will high tail out of Boston after this season. Victorino will be the Sox center OF for 2 more years. then the fans will see bradley jr. play RF 2014. When Victorino contract expires Bradley Jr. will be ready to take the lead hitter role and be the center OF. This is my perception/ opinion only.

Now after what the Jays gave up for Dickey, this transaction that I am happy to see that BC did not do. BC is still in the driver seat by signing Dempster, I am not a fan of this move but Dempster can pitch alot of innings and will fit OK in the middle of the rotation.

BC is still being patience with the prospects which is a smart move; just in case the Sox next season may have to make a move just in case the word comes up injury.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Make that 11...

1) The Dodger trade was one of the best trades this club has ever made. The fact that he ruined the blank slate later does not take away from the tremendous value that traded added to this team.

2) The Scutaro for Mortensen trade gave us several years of team control of Mort and gave up 1 year of control for Scoot. Aviles was a better SS than Scoot, and the money saved in the trade allowed us to sign Ross, Shoppach and Padilla.

3) Cody Ross signing made us better.

4) Shoppach signing made us better and brought Beato in return.

5) The Ciriaco signing made us better in 2013 and beyond.

6) The Pods purchase from the Phillies made us better.

7) The trade of Pods and Albers for Breslow was a very good trade.

8) The re-acquiring of Pods later was good.

9) The signing of Mauro Gomez was good.

10) The signing of Uehara was good for the team.

11) Padilla helped us in 2012.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [/QUOTE]

Since he has only been on the job for a year, how do you conclude that '2 or 3 years never comes'?  Is there a prospect right now that needs a shot?  Could Iglesias or Lavarnway not benefit from more schooling?  Just because he is patient doesn't mean he is stupid.  Do the short (and thus overpay) contracts of this off-season not signal to you that the Brentz-Bradley-Ranaudo-et-al crop of blue chippers are set up to have their shot if they pan out?

And, who were the better-than-Dempster FAs?  Now, if you say McCarthy, I'll give you that.  Should have signed him.  He was cheap and he is a gamer.  But, all the better-than-Dempsters also got lengthy contracts ... which would be working against getting the kids a chance in a year or two.  

We can debate the merits of how he is putting this roster together for the short-term.  I am not sold on it.  I very much dislike the Drew signing.  But, if you cannot see the strategy Cherrington is employing, if you really think there is no plan, thats on you man.  

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Spaceman.  I was disappointed McCarthy didn't end up wearing Red Sox, but I don't think McCarthy for 2 years is definitively better than Dempster for 2.  McCarthy has a higher ceiling but Dempster should log significantly more innings than McCarthy.  It's all a roll of the dice but I think the comparison is something like this:

150 IP @ 3.5 ERA 

vs.

200 IP @ 3.8-4.0 ERA

Either way, the DBacks got a great deal IMHO.  I disagree about Drew unless you want to put it as a choice between Drew and McCarthy (about the same money).  On one hand, I wouldn't mind having both McCarthy and Dempster but I hate to push Doubront out of the rotation and move our young depth guys back a notch.  I like the idea of giving Doubie as many starts as he can handle and letting #6&7 slots go to Morales, RDLR, et al.  For this off-season, short term money really means very little to the team so spending it on Drew just gives us optoins.  If Iggy shows some more bat in AAA and Drew has healed enough to be more of his former self, we might have some interesting options at the trade deadline.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

List the available FA starting pitchers that would accept 2-3 yr. deals?

[/QUOTE]

There are none, at least none of the younger ones.. Why limit it to a short contract when we need all the help we can get?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

List the available FA starting pitchers that would accept 2-3 yr. deals?

[/QUOTE]

There are none. Why limit it to a short contract when we need all the help we can get?

[/QUOTE]

6 letters are all the answer you need:

L

A

C

K

E

Y

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

My question in all this is, what is the goal if not to win a chanpionship? You can't depend on prospects that may or may not pan out in the future. Trying to limit signings to 2 or 3 years nets you the kind of players we got, guys who are just not impact players.

Like I said before, either play the kids now or trade them for some stars who can win a championship. And completely revamp the SP. If anyone thinks the 5 we have now will win 70-75 games, there better be a whole lot run support.

Sections
Shortcuts