1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Name one transaction......

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to Alibiike's comment:

My question in all this is, what is the goal if not to win a chanpionship? You can't depend on prospects that may or may not pan out in the future. Trying to limit signings to 2 or 3 years nets you the kind of players we got, guys who are just not impact players.

Like I said before, either play the kids now or trade them for some stars who can win a championship. And completely revamp the SP. If anyone thinks the 5 we have now will win 70-75 games, there better be a whole lot run support.

That's incredibly shallow thinking, imo.

The first thing you need to do is to lay out the game plan.  Who are the kids you want to play? The idea is not to play kids just for the sake of playing kids.  The idea is to bring them up effectively and efficiently.

Take JBJ as an example.  Ellsbury will leave after this year, we'll grab a pick, and JBJ takes over in CF in 2014.  That's excellent planning, or at least fortuitous timing.

Which guys do you want to bring up this year that are ready?

i still would like ali to answer this question

That's what a lot of us say.

I doubt that there are any RS fans at all that don't want to develope a new generation of prospects.  I'd like a new SP every year for the next five years.

But we have to be practical.  It's not happening next year.  The Bs are too far away.  It's silly to think we can advance the clock by just wishing it happens.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

....that Cherington has made since he has been GM, that has actually helped this team get better. The only one that most of you will cite is Cody Ross. If that is the case, why wasn't he re-signed?

After jettising Becket, Crawford and Agon, everyone assumed he had the payroll to acquire some good young talent to rebuild this team. Instead he goes out and gets a bunch of old guys, only one of which has had a decent career, but age is catching up to him. Not only that, but he way overpaid for these guys.

He never addressed the real problem which is the SP. There were several FA starters that were far better than Dempster but that is who he wanted all along. This GM is using his crystal ball to assemble a team to put on the field in 2017. He covets prospects like there will never be any more of them, hoping to be able to use them in two or three years. Unfortunately, two or three years never comes.

You understate the Dodger trade immensely, undoutedly on purpose.  The Sox did acquirr 2very highly regardedyoung ppitchers in that deal. Or do you only cite Keith Laws opinion when he pans Sox moves?

Crazy thouht! Maybe Cherington knows about de la Rosa and Webster and considers thpitchers.

Personally, I liked the Dodger trade even fi we got no prospects in return. The fact that we got de la Rosa & Webster was icing on the already nice cake.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

...that Cherington has made since he has been GM, that has actually helped this team get better. The only one that most of you will cite is Cody Ross. If that is the case, why wasn't he re-signed?

Vicente Padilla, Clayton Mortenson. Oops sorry. That was two. And my take on why C Ross hasn't been resigned yet is that he's been looking for 3 years and we were able to get Gomes who gives us pretty much the same things as C Ross for 2. I also wouldn't give up on Bailey just yet either. He was only an all star closer in Oakland.

Ok. I'll give you Padilla, although I think he also should have started some games. The jury is still out on Mortensen. Equating Gomes to C. Ross is quite a stretch. Bailey blew 3 save in 9 tries when he came back, and his WHIP was 1.89. Now, you could say he was coming off an injury and was rusty. Ok, maybe. Should we give Lackey the same consideration if he fails to pitch effectively? I believe if he doesn't win 15 games, these fans will become ballistic!

That falls on Bobby V doesn't it? And as far as C Ross == Gomes, they both crush LH pitching and neither one can play defense. I don't think that's a big stretch.

Ross and Gomes are VERY comparable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

...that Cherington has made since he has been GM, that has actually helped this team get better. The only one that most of you will cite is Cody Ross. If that is the case, why wasn't he re-signed?

Vicente Padilla, Clayton Mortenson. Oops sorry. That was two. And my take on why C Ross hasn't been resigned yet is that he's been looking for 3 years and we were able to get Gomes who gives us pretty much the same things as C Ross for 2. I also wouldn't give up on Bailey just yet either. He was only an all star closer in Oakland.

Ok. I'll give you Padilla, although I think he also should have started some games. The jury is still out on Mortensen. Equating Gomes to C. Ross is quite a stretch. Bailey blew 3 save in 9 tries when he came back, and his WHIP was 1.89. Now, you could say he was coming off an injury and was rusty. Ok, maybe. Should we give Lackey the same consideration if he fails to pitch effectively? I believe if he doesn't win 15 games, these fans will become ballistic!

That falls on Bobby V doesn't it? And as far as C Ross == Gomes, they both crush LH pitching and neither one can play defense. I don't think that's a big stretch.

i like the heart of Ross and what he brings to the table. But a platoon of Gomes/kalish would probably give us what Ross would and more. Without giving up 3 years.

Kalish was everyones boy for the longest time. touted to be the next great red sox. Have we given up on him? Those injuries he's gotten are ones that are hard to come back from. I think he is going to be the sleeper this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

My question in all this is, what is the goal if not to win a chanpionship? You can't depend on prospects that may or may not pan out in the future. Trying to limit signings to 2 or 3 years nets you the kind of players we got, guys who are just not impact players.

Like I said before, either play the kids now or trade them for some stars who can win a championship. And completely revamp the SP. If anyone thinks the 5 we have now will win 70-75 games, there better be a whole lot run support.

Sorry, but your not going to win a championship every year. doesnt happen. And after what the Sox went through, to expect that is even more unrealistic.

They are building the team back up. Thats going to take more than one offseason. You can only obtain whats available to what your looking for.

I think the isuue with you and some others is unrealistic expectations from this organization after what they just went through this past year and overall the last 2-3 years. You really want them jumping aback on the overpaid, longterm contract bandwagon again? Theyre all going to be overpaid, so Ill take the short term deals instead. There are not any really young FA. Mostly 30ish. If they are young, they have issues.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i like the heart of Ross and what he brings to the table. But a platoon of Gomes/kalish would probably give us what Ross would and more. Without giving up 3 years.

I think Nava beats out Kalish for the LF platoon job vs RHPs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

If Kalish is healthy and has a very good ST, he could win the job. My guess though, is they will let him start back in AAA and call him up during the year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

But for how long? Nava has a tendency to start fast but cools off quickly

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Kalish was everyones boy for the longest time. touted to be the next great red sox. Have we given up on him? Those injuries he's gotten are ones that are hard to come back from. I think he is going to be the sleeper this season.

I agree. You could see that Kalish wasn't playing at full strength last year. I think he could surprise a lot of people in ST. And I think a platoon of Kalish and Gomes will actually give us more than C Ross would have. Defensively especially, Kalish would be a huge upgrade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I like Kalish. Most of the "Dump Kalish" crowd were also on the "Dump Reddick" bandwagon last August. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I like Kalish. Most of the "Dump Kalish" crowd were also on the "Dump Reddick" bandwagon last August. 

And crying about Bailey now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I like the fact that Ike hasn't been back since just before the Sox won the Series.

Tells you all you need to know about Ike.

He won't be back until there's somerthing to whine about.

Sections
Shortcuts