Napoli and his Avascular necrosis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Napoli and his Avascular necrosis

Read about his disease here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avascular_necrosis

Here are the causes:

There are many theories about what causes avascular necrosis. Proposed risk factors include, chemotherapy,alcoholism,[4] excessive steroid use,[5] post trauma,[6][7] caisson disease (decompression sickness),[8][9] vascular compression,[10] hypertensionvasculitisarterial embolism and thrombosis, damage from radiationbisphosphonates(particularly the mandible),[11] sickle cell anaemia,[12] Gaucher's Disease,[13] and deep diving.[14] In some cases it isidiopathic (no cause is found).[

Other key points:

Avascular necrosis is especially common in the hip joint. A variety of methods are now used to treat avascular necrosis,[21] the most common being the total hip replacement, or THR. However, THRs have a number of downsides including long recovery times and short life spans. THRs are an effective means of treatment in the geriatric population; however, doctors shy away from using them in younger patients due to the reasons above. A new, more promising treatment is hip resurfacing or metal on metal (MOM) resurfacing. It is a form of a THR, however in this procedure, only the head of the femur is removed as opposed to a THR in which the entire neck is removed. MOM resurfacing is still experimental in America but has been endorsed in Great Britain as an excellent alternative to a THR.

Other treatments include core decompression, where internal bone pressure is relieved by drilling a hole into the bone, and a living bone chip and an electrical device to stimulate new vascular growth are implanted; and the free vascular fibular graft (FVFG), in which a portion of the fibula, along with its blood supply, is removed and transplanted into the femoral head.[27]

Prognosis

The amount of disability that results from avascular necrosis depends on what part of the bone is affected, how large an area is involved, and how effectively the bone rebuilds itself. The process of bone rebuilding takes place after an injury as well as during normal growth.[25] Normally, bone continuously breaks down and rebuilds—old bone is reabsorbed and replaced with new bone. The process keeps the skeleton strong and helps it to maintain a balance of minerals.[25] In the course of avascular necrosis, however, the healing process is usually ineffective and the bone tissues break down faster than the body can repair them. If left untreated, the disease progresses, the bone collapses,[2] and the joint surface breaks down,[15] leading to pain and arthritis.[

And you are talking about 40 HR? This is what ended Bo Jackson's career.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Napoli and his Avascular necrosis

See the other thread

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As I noted on the other post, Bo Jackson injury from a football hit caused AVN, so it is possible Napoli got it from Plate collisions not steroids....see below

The researchers said that prompt diagnosis and proper treatment of hip subluxation – which in many cases is dismissed simply as a hip "sprain" or "strain" – is important because it appears that up to 25 percent of such injuries may lead to bone death within the hip joint.

Subluxation is a partial dislocation of the joint. In a complete dislocation, the "ball" at the top of the femur which rotates within the hip joint pops completely out of the joint. In subluxation, the ball moves in and out of the joint without tearing the capsule surrounding the joint. Hip subluxation is the injury that forced Oakland Raiders running back Bo Jackson to retire from football.

"Hip subluxation is an unusual, although potentially devastating injury that is an inherent risk of participating in American football," said Claude T. Moorman, M.D., orthopedic surgeon and director of the sports medicine program at Duke. The results of Moorman's analysis were published this month (July 2003) in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.

"There is very little medical information out there to guide physicians in how to best take care of these patients," he continued. "This analysis is intended to raise awareness of this injury, so that we can determine the best way to care for these patients."

Although most players who are properly treated can eventually return to the field, the injury can lead to a condition known as avascular necrosis (AVN). AVN is caused when the ball of the hip joint no longer receives an adequate supply of blood. The resulting death of the bone causes the joint to collapse, necessitating either an artificial hip joint or a vascularized bone transplant.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Evidence doesn't point to prior injury from trauma.

There is no evidence that I am aware of as to the cause of this..unless you have some. Just because someone has a broken arm does not mean they fell off the roof. There are many causes of AVN.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Excellent posts by everyone.

In essence, Napoli should thank the Red Sox for offering anything.  Giving him what they did, in my opinion, is a gift.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Doesn't matter what caused it.

Let's just hope the hip holds out and he is able to produce.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to bald-predictions's comment:

I hope he does not ruin his hip by continuing to play pro ball. He should be OK this year, I would guess. This was an incidental finding from what I can see...just something they found by accident. It might take some time before it causes problems.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I hope he does not ruin his hip by continuing to play pro ball. He should be OK this year, I would guess. This was an incidental finding from what I can see...just something they found by accident. It might take some time before it causes problems.

Yeah, maybe even a decade or two... Who knows?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Yeah, maybe even a decade or two... Who knows?

I am a doctor, but not an orthopedist. But from what I know, these things are very unpredictable. Its never a good thing to have, and many people need hip replacements at some point, but that could be many years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Evidence doesn't point to prior injury from trauma.

There is no evidence that I am aware of as to the cause of this..unless you have some. Just because someone has a broken arm does not mean they fell off the roof. There are many causes of AVN.

Softlaw and ADG don't need evidence.  Their undying and unrelenting hatred of the Red Sox is all the proof they need.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Again, as Red Sox Team Yogi, I advocate a regimen of gentle, hip-opening yoga for Mike.  The degenerative disease may prove too powerful in the long-run.  But, in the meantime, this practice will offer him ease, flow of blood and healing prana energy to his hips, greater flexibility and protection from the grinding of typical athlete weight work and running and bat swinging.

I tried to get Josh Beckett on this program for years, given that the steak-and-bud-lite weight he was carrying seemed to get his lower back tweaked every year, but Josh wasn't interested.

All these guys:  Too much weights, not enough holistic body work.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Again, as Red Sox Team Yogi, I advocate a regimen of gentle, hip-opening yoga for Mike.  The degenerative disease may prove too powerful in the long-run.  But, in the meantime, this practice will offer him ease, flow of blood and healing prana energy to his hips, greater flexibility and protection from the grinding of typical athlete weight work and running and bat swinging.

I tried to get Josh Beckett on this program for years, given that the steak-and-bud-lite weight he was carrying seemed to get his lower back tweaked every year, but Josh wasn't interested.

Hey Space! how the hell are ya? long time no see. are you still living on the left coast? It's like 6 degrees here in boston today.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

So knowing what Avascular necrosis is and looking at past athletes who have got it we can say that this may or may not be debelitating to his career.  We see clear examples of both, obviously he is a high risk still compared to a healthy free agent.  The reality is we don't know the severity of the condition etc et etc.  maybe they are catching it early, if it is treateable and curable then maybe he will have a great season.  So it's a relatively low risk high reward type deal.  In the end you can't trade Jacoby Ellsbury 10 times and build a team and there aren't any other real great options out there.

Worst case scenario: Napoli's condition worsens, we pay little more if any of the 3 mil to him rather than signing a Carl Crawford to 20 + million a year for 7 years to sit on the DL and.

Best case Scenario: He has a great year, helps us out and is gone at the end of the season in the mode of Adrian Beltre.

Considering he can only earn 13 million for one year IF HE PERFORMS.....I still like this deal. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

Hey Space! how the hell are ya? long time no see. are you still living on the left coast? It's like 6 degrees here in boston today.

Hammah, my man! Was wondering where you were (though I certainly understand the need to distance oneself from off-season BDC nonsense).

Yeah, still in sunny Los Angeles.  When I left the house this morning, it was 48.  I was freeeeeeezing  ;)

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Their undying and unrelenting hatred of the Red Sox is all the proof they need.

Hatred -- animus, extreme disdain

Leftist translation dictionary - "Hatred" -- Someone who disagrees with me

That must be from the same Leftist translation dictionary where you learned the meaning of 'bigotry'.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The way to deal with conditioning and "good clubhouse guy" is for the Red Sox to hire a professional staff member with dual degrees in nutrition, and tolerance of good clubhouse guys like Demspter and gays and girls, & confrontation of haters and bullies and clubhouse cancers like Delmon Young.  

Haters and bullies...those are words from your Leftist translation dictionary?

You really do play on both sides of the fence.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The way to deal with conditioning and "good clubhouse guy" is for the Red Sox to hire a professional staff member with dual degrees in nutrition, and tolerance of good clubhouse guys like Demspter and gays and girls, & confrontation of haters and bullies and clubhouse cancers like Delmon Young.  

Nice.  In a sea of Softy-Disjointed-Bizzaro posts, this one stands out like a rogue wave.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Nice.  In a sea of Softy-Disjointed-Bizzaro posts, this one stands out like a rogue wave.  

Is there translator software for Softy?

I have no idea what he's babbling about...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where do you get a ...

"dual degrees in nutrition, and tolerance of good clubhouse guys like Demspter and gays and girls, & confrontation of haters and bullies and clubhouse cancers like Delmon Young.    "?

Sections
Shortcuts