Napoli deal falls through, according to Jen Royle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Napoli deal falls through, according to Jen Royle

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

this is making the theo compensation deal look like a shining ben moment in comparison

Why?

Now you're just being difficult... ;-)

I would be lying if I said I never posted anything obtuse with the objective to just be difficult.  But, in this particular instance, I am genuinely interested into why Geo thinks the Napoli situation is akin to the epstein compensation.*

*This is, of course, accepting the notion that the Epstein compensation was somehow bungled.  Other than it taking a long time to play out, I don't see that there was anything poor about that transaction.  I think that anyone expecting major league proven talent compensation for a front office personnel was in fantasy land.  there was no precedent for anything like that, and no reason to expect it.

Space, I know you exist on a celestial plane but even UFOs knew that the Theo/Cubs compensation was a disaster...we had all the cards, they needed him, and we let Theo walk for what compensation again? It was a dubious start to what has become of embarrassingly bad tenure as GM...you know the rest of the trades and signings...but this Napoli signing is beyond sad....we could have had LaRouche for 15 mil less and a yr less....now we are going to be stuck with nothing except a medical case as the best case scenario for 1B...the fact that you are even asking for clarification is silly...you are a smart man and know what is what....no need to hide the truth...Ben is an embarrassment as GM

La Roche for a year less but loss of draft pick.  

Granted the situation is bad.  But your rush to make it black & white ben is a moron makes you lose sight of some of the signifcant details.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

thats some serious gibberish...nothing was actually said

usually never is, geo. It is getting a bit ridiculous, but glad the front office drew a line in the sand and are standing their ground.

i have no problem with them walking away...but this vacillation makes no sense...is he hurt or not? do we want him or not?

if they didnt want him, they would have walked by now. I think it's the clause in the contract regarding his health/hip, that's holding it up.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is making the theo compensation deal look like a shining ben moment in comparison

Why?

I would be lying if I said I never posted anything obtuse with the objective to just be difficult.  But, in this particular instance, I am genuinely interested into why Geo thinks the Napoli situation is akin to the epstein compensation.*

*This is, of course, accepting the notion that the Epstein compensation was somehow bungled.  Other than it taking a long time to play out, I don't see that there was anything poor about that transaction.  I think that anyone expecting major league proven talent compensation for a front office personnel was in fantasy land.  there was no precedent for anything like that, and no reason to expect it.

Space, I know you exist on a celestial plane but even UFOs knew that the Theo/Cubs compensation was a disaster...we had all the cards, they needed him, and we let Theo walk for what compensation again? It was a dubious start to what has become of embarrassingly bad tenure as GM...you know the rest of the trades and signings...but this Napoli signing is beyond sad....we could have had LaRouche for 15 mil less and a yr less....now we are going to be stuck with nothing except a medical case as the best case scenario for 1B...the fact that you are even asking for clarification is silly...you are a smart man and know what is what....no need to hide the truth...Ben is an embarrassment as GM

Granted the situation is bad.  But your rush to make it black & white ben is a moron makes you lose sight of some of the signifcant details.

its not black and white?...literally it is - a contract that was agreed to that cant be defended..how can this not reflect poorly on Ben?...but hey just move on....sadly ben wont because he cant let go, or refuses to admit error...and that is unacceptable

• You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Why?

its not black and white?...literally it is - a contract that was agreed to that cant be defended..how can this not reflect poorly on Ben?...but hey just move on....sadly ben wont because he cant let go, or refuses to admit error...and that is unacceptable

Unlike you. Oh wait, we're all still waiting for you to admit you were wrong about BV. :-)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Why?

How was it an error?? every player is signed, pending a physical. The fact he "won't let go" tells me it's not serious enough to, but serious enough to protect the organization from long term risk. If it cant be worked out, he will either let go or agree on a one year deal

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Georom has no idea what the contract will end up lookling like, but he's sure it's an error.

Classic! LOL

Georom has no idea what the contract will end up lookling like, but he's sure it's an error.

Classic! LOL

It's almost as good as having andrewmitch back. :-)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Why?

I don't need to say anything that hasn't been said in the posts responding to this statement Geo.  

I know you are smart enough to understand how contracts move from hand shake to signed on the dotted line.  

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Morse would play the OF for the Yankees and back-up Tex at 1B and be an occasional DH.

Napoli is the perfect fit in NY and 3 years @$13 will not bother the Yankees. Nap will continue to destroy the Sox just like Swish did--another miss for BenC. 

If I'm Ben I sign Nap for 3 years and $39--he may be our DH if Ortiz isn't ready. The problem with BenC is he has pidgeon holed Nap as a 1 B and a catcher---his best position may be DH and he may really need him for that--he doesn't see it and he won't recognize it. His vision is not broad enough.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Morse would play the OF for the Yankees and back-up Tex at 1B and be an occasional DH.

Napoli is the perfect fit in NY and 3 years @$13 will not bother the Yankees. Nap will continue to destroy the Sox just like Swish did--another miss for BenC. 

If I'm Ben I sign Nap for 3 years and $39--he may be our DH if Ortiz isn't ready. The problem with BenC is he has pidgeon holed Nap as a 1 B and a catcher---his best position may be DH and he may really need him for that--he doesn't see it and he won't recognize it. His vision is not broad enough.

I disagree with your assesment.  I don't think he has pidgeonholed Napoli for catcher at all. Not with 2 other catchers on the roster and a third bucking for promotion at AAA.  I imagine that they are thinking about Napoli as a spot catcher now and then, but particularly in interleague to keep Ortiz' bat in the lineup.

And i don't think you could even think of signing Napoli without envisioning the DH potential.    He is barely a 1B and his wheels were bad even without hip problems.  I think they might be thinking of year 3 of his deal as full-time DH, before if Ortiz is hurt or falls off the age cliff as some think he will.

The reason to sign Napoli is for his positional flexibility.  i am sure he is not pidgeon-holed into anything.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I don't understand why the MVP of the International League is not a consideration. I'd also make sure Lavarnway and Salty go into spring training with first baseman's mitts as well as catcher's mitts. Either sign Napoli at the Sox terms or dismiss him, stop the nonsense.

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

I don't understand why the MVP of the International League is not a consideration. I'd also make sure Lavarnway and Salty go into spring training with first baseman's mitts as well as catcher's mitts. Either sign Napoli at the Sox terms or dismiss him, stop the nonsense.

I agree that Lav should get a look-see at first, if not for this year, for the future.

As far as Gomez, given the hole in the line-up left by Gonzalez, its probably too much of a risk to not have proven MLB talent ready to go at first base.  Gomez may be a stud, but he is still AAA material.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I agree that Lav should get a look-see at first, if not for this year, for the future.

As far as Gomez, given the hole in the line-up left by Gonzalez, its probably too much of a risk to not have proven MLB talent ready to go at first base.  Gomez may be a stud, but he is still AAA material.

He's the MVP of the league. AAA is the step just below the majors. If he's the MVP, then, IMO he's the top player and has earned a real shot at making the roster. Spring training is the place to find out if this big strong 1st baseman can contribute to the major league team. By the way, he did play 3rd in an emergency last year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

'41 .... I tend to agree

He's the MVP of the league. AAA is the step just below the majors. If he's the MVP, then, IMO he's the top player and has earned a real shot at making the roster. Spring training is the place to find out if this big strong 1st baseman can contribute to the major league team. By the way, he did play 3rd in an emergency last year.

I think before last year he played mostly at 3rd.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Madmc,

There are sometimes as many as 50 people involved in a major transaction.  Ben doesn't sit by himself in a cubicle with a phone and a laptop like some fantasy baseball team owner.  Trust me, the possibility that Napoli can DH surely has been discussed.  There are people on this board who simply don't like the guy, which is fine, but the fact of the matter is, every major transaction has input from lots of baseball people with tons of experience within the organization.  Jason Varitek now works closely with Ben in an advisory role, and he's just one of many.  Unfortunately, running a baseball team is definitely not an exact science, so there will always be mistakes. 

Well, it would be an interesting study, one which I don't wish to research, to see what % of AAA league MVPs propel that into solid major league production the next year.

I am not arguing that Gomez isn't worth a look-see.  I liked what i saw in his extended cup o coffee last year.   I just think that it would be imprudent to go into Spring without any proven guy at first base.  What happens if we get to spring, give mauro his shot, and he is not ready to go and we have no alternative?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Well, it would be an interesting study, one which I don't wish to research, to see what % of AAA league MVPs propel that into solid major league production the next year.

I am not arguing that Gomez isn't worth a look-see.  I liked what i saw in his extended cup o coffee last year.   I just think that it would be imprudent to go into Spring without any proven guy at first base.  What happens if we get to spring, give mauro his shot, and he is not ready to go and we have no alternative?

Then maybe you use Salty as a 1 b backup or you trade for Lars or another 1 B that may be available or you bring up your best minor league prospect. He may surprise you.

Then maybe you use Salty as a 1 b backup or you trade for Lars or another 1 B that may be available or you bring up your best minor league prospect. He may surprise you.

Hey, I love surprises.  Though I wouldn't be all that surprised.  Gomez is going to be good.  the question is just, now or with a little more time.  If this club had a core of a Manny/Ortiz and a rotation with less question marks, I would be into the risk.  But I (as in the GM I) am feeling alittle bit risk these days.

Bosox1941, as always you make too much sense...only in the bizarro world of BDC is a player signed to a 39 mil deal who cant pass the physical a better option than a younger player who won the MVP of AAA at the same position.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

No kidding.... especially for a player who has only played in 114 games a season one time... ONE TIME!  What about this situation causes people to feel this will be the year he plays in 140+ games?

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

No kidding.... especially for a player who has only played in 114 games a season one time... ONE TIME!  What about this situation causes people to feel this will be the year he plays in 140+ games?

thats a lot of pesos for part time work ET!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Bosox1941, as always you make too much sense...only in the bizarro world of BDC is a player signed to a 39 mil deal who cant pass the physical a better option than a younger player who won the MVP of AAA at the same position.

I agree. Gomez might not make a good 1B for us next year, but it hardly matters if Napoli or Gomez plays 1B-we are likely not making the playoffs anyway. It might cost the team a win or two if Gomez fails to make the grade, but so what? I am dead against caving in to anything more than a year with an option year with Napoli (and I realize that he would probably not sign under those circumstances). In the long term strategy to get this team back to relevance, since Mike Napoli cannot pitch, whether he plays here next year or not is largely irrelevant. First basemen will become available in 2-3 years when the pitching problem is hopefully fixed. For right now, PITCHING should be the #1, #2, and #3 priority, especially good YOUNG pitching. Therefore, position players should not be signed for more than a couple of years max: they are much more easily replaceable. One year and an option year for Napoli....or just let him go and focus on what is important to the long term success of the team.

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I agree. Gomez might not make a good 1B for us next year, but it hardly matters if Napoli or Gomez plays 1B-we are likely not making the playoffs anyway. It might cost the team a win or two if Gomez fails to make the grade, but so what? I am dead against caving in to anything more than a year with an option year with Napoli (and I realize that he would probably not sign under those circumstances). In the long term strategy to get this team back to relevance, since Mike Napoli cannot pitch, whether he plays here next year or not is largely irrelevant. First basemen will become available in 2-3 years when the pitching problem is hopefully fixed. For right now, PITCHING should be the #1, #2, and #3 priority, especially good YOUNG pitching. Therefore, position players should not be signed for more than a couple of years max: they are much more easily replaceable. One year and an option year for Napoli....or just let him go and focus on what is important to the long term success of the team.

I don't know Pumpsie.  The reason that these negotiations are so protracted is because the Napoli camp has surely operated under a certain set of demands.  But, Napoli's position is greatly weakened by the health issue.  Another club would be pretty foolish to jump in and offer a similar deal to the Sox deal with current knowledge.  Eventually, his camp will cave to  whatever the Sox deem necessary to protect themselves.

And if not, then, hey LET THE KID PLAY, and as you say, maybe there is nothing to lose. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts