Napoli deal falls through, according to Jen Royle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Napoli deal falls through, according to Jen Royle

Please is Casey Kotchmann the best this team can do. Come on the guy is good defensively but cannot hit a lick. I remember him when he was with us back in 2009.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What happened to Loney? Isn't he still with us?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Loney was a free agent and already signed somewhere (with TB, I think).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

What happened to Loney? Isn't he still with us?

Tampa signed him.  1 yr./2 mill

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Loney was a free agent and already signed somewhere (with TB, I think).

Thanks. I thought he was a FA but wasn't sure and didn't know someone snagged him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I thought (Loney) was a FA but wasn't sure and didn't know someone snagged him.

[/QUOTE]

"Snagged".  Heh heh.  I think of Loney as more of "settled for" kind of guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"WOW. Shocker. What do we do now?"

We can start by taking Jen Royle with a major grain of salt, she already pathetically backtracked on her half-baked "report". 

Napoli deal isn't dead though it's certainly fair game to start thinking alternatives as I'm sure the Sox are. :) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Still waiting for anyone at all in any form of media to back up Jen Royle's "scoop".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

What About This Jen, BILL806 Jen Royle.....^^

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is making the theo compensation deal look like a shining ben moment in comparison

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

this is making the theo compensation deal look like a shining ben moment in comparison

Why?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It's almost as agonizing as waiting for you to say something positive about the Red Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Why?

Now you're just being difficult... ;-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Why?

I would be lying if I said I never posted anything obtuse with the objective to just be difficult.  But, in this particular instance, I am genuinely interested into why Geo thinks the Napoli situation is akin to the epstein compensation.*

*This is, of course, accepting the notion that the Epstein compensation was somehow bungled.  Other than it taking a long time to play out, I don't see that there was anything poor about that transaction.  I think that anyone expecting major league proven talent compensation for a front office personnel was in fantasy land.  there was no precedent for anything like that, and no reason to expect it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

aim high and Justin Smoak should never collide in the same sentence...

Post of the year so far...

the aim high option was joe mauer, not justin smoak. i think u misinterpreted the post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Why?

I would be lying if I said I never posted anything obtuse with the objective to just be difficult.  But, in this particular instance, I am genuinely interested into why Geo thinks the Napoli situation is akin to the epstein compensation.*

*This is, of course, accepting the notion that the Epstein compensation was somehow bungled.  Other than it taking a long time to play out, I don't see that there was anything poor about that transaction.  I think that anyone expecting major league proven talent compensation for a front office personnel was in fantasy land.  there was no precedent for anything like that, and no reason to expect it.

Space, I know you exist on a celestial plane but even UFOs knew that the Theo/Cubs compensation was a disaster...we had all the cards, they needed him, and we let Theo walk for what compensation again? It was a dubious start to what has become of embarrassingly bad tenure as GM...you know the rest of the trades and signings...but this Napoli signing is beyond sad....we could have had LaRouche for 15 mil less and a yr less....now we are going to be stuck with nothing except a medical case as the best case scenario for 1B...the fact that you are even asking for clarification is silly...you are a smart man and know what is what....no need to hide the truth...Ben is an embarrassment as GM

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Why?

Space, I know you exist on a celestial plane but even UFOs knew that the Theo/Cubs compensation was a disaster...we had all the cards, they needed him, and we let Theo walk for what compensation again? It was a dubious start to what has become of embarrassingly bad tenure as GM...you know the rest of the trades and signings...but this Napoli signing is beyond sad....we could have had LaRouche for 15 mil less and a yr less....now we are going to be stuck with nothing except a medical case as the best case scenario for 1B...the fact that you are even asking for clarification is silly...you are a smart man and know what is what....no need to hide the truth...Ben is an embarrassment as GM

you know i really don't think it was BCs decision to let Theo walk before comp was hammered out. seeing as he didn't even become GM until Theo left.. and once Theo left we all knew we weren't getting squat so why would Bc fight about it for months when he had a manager and coaching staff to find. That's why both sides put off the comp talks for months. it was insignificant and they had bigger fish to fry. if you want to blame someone, blame Henry or LL for letting theo walk before comp was settled

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...we had all the cards, they needed him, and we let Theo walk for what compensation again?

They knew Theo wasn't going to be our GM.  Everyone did.

"Let Theo walk"?

He was pushed out the door running.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

moon, sort of like farrell signing? what happened there? how was that different? we gave up a starter....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington was a guest of WEEI’s Hot Stove Show Thursday night. Cherington was asked if there was any news regarding the status of free agent first baseman Mike Napoli, who agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the club in early December but has yet to sign the contract as concerns surfaced after the 31-year-old underwent the Red Sox’ physcial examination.

“No, there’s nothing to update,” Cherington said. “We’re, I think as everyone knows, one of our goals this offseason was to add offense at first base. We haven’t been able to really do that officially yet. We’re still talking and when you’re talking, there’s hope for a resolution. But nothing to report right now. … We have had dialogue [with Napoli]. It’s one of those situations, out of respect to Mike and the process, I’m not going to get into detail. Whenever we’re talking and there’s dialogue, it means we’re hopeful of being able to do something but we just don’t know yet. We’ll see how it plays out.”

Cherington was asked if the Red Sox have explored other options at first base. The club reportedly showed interest in Lance Berkman prior to his agreeing with Texas on a one-year, $10 million deal.

“Until something is done, you have to consider other options so we’ve had to do that and we’ve continued to consider other ways to improve the team, whether it’s at first base, or elsewhere,” Cherington said. “At this point, we just haven’t found anything that made sense to us in the sort of big picture. So that’s where we are. There’s no one particular player that’s available or not available that would have changed the course of our offseason. We’re just examining and evaluating things as they come. Certainly when you have a position you’re trying to improve on, until it’s improved upon, you have to continue to consider other options. It’s fair to say as you sort of get deeper into the winter, the free agents start to go off the board. You can look at trades and other ways to do things. It remains a focus. We’re still hoping we can do something to improve ourselves in that area before we get to Fort Myers.”

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

moon, sort of like farrell signing? what happened there? how was that different? we gave up a starter....

weren't you one of the people bashing Aviles last ST and regular season?!?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

moon, sort of like farrell signing? what happened there? how was that different? we gave up a starter

There was recent precedent with manager compensation with Ozzie Guillen.  The last Front Office precedent was over 20 years ago with Andy McPhail...You are comparing apples & oranges.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington was a guest of WEEI’s Hot Stove Show Thursday night. Cherington was asked if there was any news regarding the status of free agent first baseman Mike Napoli, who agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the club in early December but has yet to sign the contract as concerns surfaced after the 31-year-old underwent the Red Sox’ physcial examination.

“No, there’s nothing to update,” Cherington said. “We’re, I think as everyone knows, one of our goals this offseason was to add offense at first base. We haven’t been able to really do that officially yet. We’re still talking and when you’re talking, there’s hope for a resolution. But nothing to report right now. … We have had dialogue [with Napoli]. It’s one of those situations, out of respect to Mike and the process, I’m not going to get into detail. Whenever we’re talking and there’s dialogue, it means we’re hopeful of being able to do something but we just don’t know yet. We’ll see how it plays out.”

Cherington was asked if the Red Sox have explored other options at first base. The club reportedly showed interest in Lance Berkman prior to his agreeing with Texas on a one-year, $10 million deal.

“Until something is done, you have to consider other options so we’ve had to do that and we’ve continued to consider other ways to improve the team, whether it’s at first base, or elsewhere,” Cherington said. “At this point, we just haven’t found anything that made sense to us in the sort of big picture. So that’s where we are. There’s no one particular player that’s available or not available that would have changed the course of our offseason. We’re just examining and evaluating things as they come. Certainly when you have a position you’re trying to improve on, until it’s improved upon, you have to continue to consider other options. It’s fair to say as you sort of get deeper into the winter, the free agents start to go off the board. You can look at trades and other ways to do things. It remains a focus. We’re still hoping we can do something to improve ourselves in that area before we get to Fort Myers.”

thats some serious gibberish...nothing was actually said

usually never is, geo. It is getting a bit ridiculous, but glad the front office drew a line in the sand and are standing their ground.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

thats some serious gibberish...nothing was actually said

[/QUOTE]

usually never is, geo. It is getting a bit ridiculous, but glad the front office drew a line in the sand and are standing their ground.

[/QUOTE]

i have no problem with them walking away...but this vacillation makes no sense...is he hurt or not? do we want him or not?

Sections
Shortcuts