Napoli Deal Still on Hold After Physical Reveals Hip Issue...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Napoli Deal Still on Hold After Physical Reveals Hip Issue...

According to Edes there is still a chance the Red Sox might not complete the deal...Some say they are looking for leverage as well...So any Napoli bashers can have a little hope, but not that much... 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/24239/will-napoli-end-up-in-a-sox-uniform

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Napoli Deal Still on Hold After Physical Reveals Hip Issue...

Mike Napoli, who agreed to terms on Dec. 3, has yet to finalize his contract. The sides are dickering over those terms because of a pre-existing hip injury. Cherington and agent Brian Grieper have remained largely quiet about this, which suggests they're working toward a resolution.

Giving up now would be tough for both sides. Napoli becomes damaged goods on the market while the Red Sox would be out a first baseman. Adam LaRoche remains unsigned, but that would mean giving up a high draft pick (second round, as their first-round pick is protected) and he is reportedly getting closer to a deal with the Nationals.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Mike Napoli, who agreed to terms on Dec. 3, has yet to finalize his contract. The sides are dickering over those terms because of a pre-existing hip injury. Cherington and agent Brian Grieper have remained largely quiet about this, which suggests they're working toward a resolution.

Giving up now would be tough for both sides. Napoli becomes damaged goods on the market while the Red Sox would be out a first baseman. Adam LaRoche remains unsigned, but that would mean giving up a high draft pick (second round, as their first-round pick is protected) and he is reportedly getting closer to a deal with the Nationals.

Absolutely raider...It will be interesting to see what happens... Merry Christmas, raider...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

These idiots are still going to sign him, he will play in 101 games making errors at first, and hitting a whopping 12 homers. Of course his .OPS will be excellent.

Don't we have a DH already?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Softy - What is your considered view of Napoli's apparent hip issue?  Diagnosis?  Prognosis?  Impact on performance over a 3-year contract?

What have you based that view on?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

These idiots are still going to sign him, he will play in 101 games making errors at first, and hitting a whopping 12 homers. Of course his .OPS will be excellent.

Interesting thought, T, but can you defend it?  Can you give a few examples of high OPS players on any team, in any era, that were deemed to be underperformers?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't understand why Napoli isn't now jumping at whatever he can get.  If this deal falls through Napoli may as well have "DG" tattooed on is forehead, and nobody is going to want damaged goods that the Sox wouldn't take.  IMO if he doesn't take what the Sox are offering his career is essentially over unless he can get some team to take him for chump change while he tries to disprove that tatoo.

OTOH, the Sox can move on.  LarRoche is still available and there's always the possiblity of trading for someone else to play 1b.

It looks to me like the Sox are holding the winning hand here. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

According to Edes there is still a chance the Red Sox might not complete the deal...Some say they are looking for leverage as well...So any Napoli bashers can have a little hope, but not that much... 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/24239/will-napoli-end-up-in-a-sox-uniform

JD Drew's contract was held up for nearly 2 months while they worked out injury language. And that was a negotiation involving Scott Boras. Just saying...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Hip problems are more serious than back problems. Mike Lowell and A-Rod are two recent cases that come to mind. One year and double digit base points is plenty for someone in the condition Napoli is in. It's no surprise that he already has a red flag season in the last stage of his career. Cherry is truly incompetent if he doesn't push Napoli and his agent around like Napoli and his agent were trying to push he and a few other GM's around. He doesn't have the goods, and the bank will need collateral for a short term investment in Napoli.

Two thoughtful, well considered posts in the same night. It must be Christmas...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Hip problems are more serious than back problems. Mike Lowell and A-Rod are two recent cases that come to mind. One year and double digit base points is plenty for someone in the condition Napoli is in. It's no surprise that he already has a red flag season in the last stage of his career. Cherry is truly incompetent if he doesn't push Napoli and his agent around like Napoli and his agent were trying to push he and a few other GM's around. He doesn't have the goods, and the bank will need collateral for a short term investment in Napoli.

Two thoughtful, well considered posts in the same night. It must be Christmas...

Merry Christmas, monsieur....So should they sign him if they cannot modify the deal...?

P.S.  My five year old has been acting in a local Christmas musical with the local community theater...The local newspaper gave her special mention about what a great job she did...She has 30 lines and a lot of acting and singing and nailed everything....My wife and I are having an awesome Christmas, and that has been a big part of it...Hope you are having a great Christmas in lobster country, carnie...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Merry Christmas, monsieur....So should they sign him if they cannot modify the deal...?

P.S.  My five year old has been acting in a local Christmas musical with the local community theater...The local newspaper gave her special mention about what a great job she did...She has 30 lines and a lot of acting and singing and nailed everything....My wife and I are having an awesome Christmas, and that has been a big part of it...Hope you are having a great Christmas in lobster country, carnie...

They'll sign him I reckon as they need his production at first. Glad to hear about your little girl, she sounds like a rising star. And Aroostook County is more moose country than lobster country. Washington County would be lobster country.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

They'll sign him I reckon as they need his production at first. Glad to hear about your little girl, she sounds like a rising star. And Aroostook County is more moose country than lobster country. Washington County would be lobster country.

Bad job on my part...As I was confirming the post, I thought "up north" might not be lobster country...Moose country...And me being a big fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle....You think I would have guessed...O well....Thanks for the nice comments about my daughter...I am an insufferably proud papa this holiday season...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Bad job on my part...As I was confirming the post, I thought "up north" might not be lobster country...Moose country...And me being a big fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle....You think I would have guessed...O well....Thanks for the nice comments about my daughter...I am an insufferably proud papa this holiday season...

You have some cute girls there. You should be proud. And not to worry about the Maine geography. There aren't that many people that know moose country from lobster country. I did see 9 deer tonight on the way down to the market tonight though. They were headed for the apple orchard across the road. Apparently the apples ferment this time of year and the deer like to get liquored up. Also the lake here is really groaning tonight, it's about 15 degrees here and the lake's freezing a little deeper. Another couple of days and we'll be able to go ice fishing. There are a lot of white perch in this lake and they make excellent fish chowdah. :-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Liquored up deer....Pretty funny that...I hope we can all buck up this holiday season...As the monsignor at our church said earlier this evening, we really need Christmas this year....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Liquored up deer....Pretty funny that...I hope we can all buck up this holiday season...As the monsignor at our church said earlier this evening, we really need Christmas this year....

Our priest keeps talking about how much we need Jesus back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Interesting thought, T, but can you defend it?  Can you give a few examples of high OPS players on any team, in any era, that were deemed to be underperformers?

I don't care about his ops. ....... I care that he  sucks and will never play in more than 109 games..... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

No question that ....The Spirit of Peace and Love will some day emerge triumphant...As Bruce Cockburn says, "Why does history takes such a long, long time...?"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

No question that ....The Spirit of Peace and Love will some day emerge triumphant...As Bruce Cockburn says, "Why does history takes such a long, long time...?"

Maybe if he had a rocket launcher it wouldn't take so long. Oh and joyeux noel, I don't think I extended my holiday wishes yet. Very rude on my part. :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Maybe if he had a rocket launcher it wouldn't take so long :-)

Why not a little youtube on Christmas eve?  Besides Bruce, I added Jackson Browne's "Rebel Jesus" (the Christmas version he did with the Chieftains) to the mix....Merry Christmas, Carnie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD-lZJnApl4

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Forgot to post the lyrics to Jackson Browne's song, monsieur....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD-lZJnApl4

All the streets are filled with laughter and light 
    And the music of the season 
    And the merchants' windows are all bright 
    With the faces of the children 
    And the families hurrying to their homes 
    As the sky darkens and freezes 
    They'll be gathering around the hearths and tales 
    Giving thanks for all god's graces 
    And the birth of the rebel jesus 

Well they call him by the prince of peace 
    And they call him by the savior