Napoli Deal Still on Hold After Physical Reveals Hip Issue...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Napoli Deal Still on Hold After Physical Reveals Hip Issue...

Jesus left the Red Sox for the Yankees after the 2005 season. 

Boston offered him a 4-year, $40 million deal but the Yankees offered a 4-year, $56 million deal. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

These idiots are still going to sign him, he will play in 101 games making errors at first, and hitting a whopping 12 homers. Of course his .OPS will be excellent.

Don't we have a DH already?

If his OPS is excellent doesn't it mean he is doing something right? Or a re home runs and errors all that matter

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

These idiots are still going to sign him, he will play in 101 games making errors at first, and hitting a whopping 12 homers. Of course his .OPS will be excellent.

Don't we have a DH already?

If his OPS is excellent doesn't it mean he is doing something right? Or a re home runs and errors all that matter

I know. It was a point for a previous back and forth. If he has hip issues then he certainly won't be able to catch, he will not be mobile at first, and he would be best suited for DH (enter Ortiz). He is a bad signing.

All those years he only played in a little more than 100 games a season and he was in a league that had the DH. If he is such a goof hitter why wasn't he DH'ing more? If his bat was so valuable why would he miss 40+ games a year so often? Have to wonder just how hurt he has been all these year.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Odd there is so much fuss and ado about signing an older player with a bad hip.  Surely there are better ways to spend that money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

The FO  might decide tomorrow to bypass Napoli and they will have their reasons. They did it with Jason Bay and were proven right. They did it with Pedro Martinez and were right once more. They have access to the MRIs and we do not. We are just fans. The discussion should center on their other options. I don't want to lose a draft pick by choosing LaRoche for three years. Three years is too long. Hopefully someone else signs Napoli and then we can go after Morse or others.

Expect they were completely wrong about Jason Bay. They though he had a bad knee. He had concussion isses in New York.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Please Kill the Napoli deal. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

I wish we could kill every winter deal, except maybe Uehara.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

that is just silly...we got solid players this offseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Silly is believing we will be serious contenders in 2013. If you don't think we'll be serious contenders, like I feel, then the deals we made were a waste, since none of them make us better for 2014 and beyond than 2013.

We played it half way this winter, and it will show in 2013. It will show in 2014. It will show in 2015.

Just because the signings will make us do better than last year's pitiful performance, doesn't mean they are worthy of defending as good moves for our future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Silly is believing we will be serious contenders in 2013. If you don't think we'll be serious contenders, like I feel, then the deals we made were a waste, since none of them make us better for 2014 and beyond than 2013.

We played it half way this winter, and it will show in 2013. It will show in 2014. It will show in 2015.

Just because the signings will make us do better than last year's pitiful performance, doesn't mean they are worthy of defending as good moves for our future.

my god...let's not even play this season already? god this is sickning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I'm sharing raider's kool-ade.

The RS contend for a Wild Card spot.

We will be OK if we can minimize injuries. It will be interesting to see if Papi, Pedey, and Ells can stay healthy for at least 140 games. I kinda know that Napoli is good for 110 at best - that's about 2/3 of the season. Farrell will be better than Bobby V.

The "good move" was not selling the farm. Not sure that I agree, but now let's see what the farm can do! Get at least the B's in AAA and see what they can do as potential upgrades later in the season.

Idiots 2013! (Really, that's what Gomes is for) Go Sox!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

gomes will hit 25HR this season....you can call me crazy...but he will mash the monster. you think cody ross had a nice swing for fenway...gomes has more power...hold on i'm thirsty.(need more kool-ade) lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

gomes will hit 25HR this season....you can call me crazy...but he will mash the monster. you think cody ross had a nice swing for fenway...gomes has more power...hold on i'm thirsty.(need more kool-ade) lol

My God! Let's not even play the season. This Kool-Aid is better than reality.

Just don't crash too hard when you wake up to find your dream turned into a nightmare.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Just don't crash too hard when you wake up to find your dream turned into a nightmare.

25 HR would be a stretch even with Kool-ade!

You have a choice. You can start your nightmare now and live through it every day until the season actually starts, or you can believe that the WMB/Pedey/Papi/Ells etc. etc. etc. injuries are theoretically not likely to happen again until the next Mayan end-of-the-world.

This wasn't my dream team. My dream was much different.

I would have gone after Hamilton, not Gomes. Hamilton is not Crawford. He is the one FA that I would have pulled the trigger on a longer than 3 year contract. He did not get 7 years. He did not get 6 years. He got 5 years after waiting for quite a while. I would have given him vesting options.

I would have gone after Victorino and traded Ells for prospects or in a package for pitching. I like Ells, but he rarely plays a full season.

I would have kicked the tires on Stanton. If not, I would have taken a hard look at Myers. If not, I would have traded for Upton and sacrificed some of the many prospects that are just prospects. I like Upton and Stanton because they CAN play a full season. I like Myers better than Upton because (1) he WAS available, (2) he IS cheaper, (3) he has more years of control.

My outfield: Hamilton, Victorino, one of Stanton/Myers/Upton Cost: $47M with Upton, less with Stanton or Myers. Out current outfield of Gomes/Ells/Victorino will be what? $28-30M depending on arb for Ells?

I would have gone with Iggy/Ciriaco rather than Drew. A waste of money IMO.

I would have gone with 1-2 years of Berkman when Napoli's hip looked bad. Napoli is a $20M player for 3 years! I mean, if he only plays 2/3 of a season, doesn't that add up to $13M for 2/3 of the season or almost $20M for the whole season? Might as well have paid for Hamilton! Berkman/Gomez at first, Bogaerts by next year.

My infield would be Berkman/Gomes, Pedey, Iggy, WMB. Give Berkman 2/20 and I still save $13M without Napoli's contract.

So, my Upton outfield costs about $19M more than the present plan, but my infield costs $13M less, so we could have had this for $6M more. If you subtract Upton and add Stanton/Myers, my plan is less than what we have now.

Granted, I would have used ALOT of prospects or pitching to get Stanton/Upton. If I had to trade Lester+Brentz to get Myers, I would have traded for Dickey. He was affordable, and is now with Toronto instead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

You have a choice. You can start your nightmare now and live through it every day until the season actually starts, or you can believe that the WMB/Pedey/Papi/Ells etc. etc. etc. injuries are theoretically not likely to happen again until the next Mayan end-of-the-world.

I would have gone after Hamilton, not Gomes. Hamilton is not Crawford. He is the one FA that I would have pulled the trigger on a longer than 3 year contract. He did not get 7 years. He did not get 6 years. He got 5 years after waiting for quite a while. I would have given him vesting options.

I would have gone after Victorino and traded Ells for prospects or in a package for pitching. I like Ells, but he rarely plays a full season.

I would have kicked the tires on Stanton. If not, I would have taken a hard look at Myers. If not, I would have traded for Upton and sacrificed some of the many prospects that are just prospects. I like Upton and Stanton because they CAN play a full season. I like Myers better than Upton because (1) he WAS available, (2) he IS cheaper, (3) he has more years of control.

My outfield: Hamilton, Victorino, one of Stanton/Myers/Upton Cost: $47M with Upton, less with Stanton or Myers. Out current outfield of Gomes/Ells/Victorino will be what? $28-30M depending on arb for Ells?

I would have gone with 1-2 years of Berkman when Napoli's hip looked bad. Napoli is a $20M player for 3 years! I mean, if he only plays 2/3 of a season, doesn't that add up to $13M for 2/3 of the season or almost $20M for the whole season? Might as well have paid for Hamilton! Berkman/Gomez at first, Bogaerts by next year.

My infield would be Berkman/Gomes, Pedey, Iggy, WMB. Give Berkman 2/20 and I still save $13M without Napoli's contract.

So, my Upton outfield costs about $19M more than the present plan, but my infield costs $13M less, so we could have had this for $6M more. If you subtract Upton and add Stanton/Myers, my plan is less than what we have now.

Granted, I would have used ALOT of prospects or pitching to get Stanton/Upton. If I had to trade Lester+Brentz to get Myers, I would have traded for Dickey. He was affordable, and is now with Toronto instead.

Your plan is not a halfway plan. 

We should have gone this way or looked strictly at 2014 and beyond (although your plan did both).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

look at gomes stats..his AB and his HR....you telling me noway he hit 25HR? he will get the AB with the red sox...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7245/career;_ylt=AhCpAG_7XIl4g4RmC5Z6N1aFCLcF

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

look at gomes stats..his AB and his HR....you telling me noway he hit 25HR? he will get the AB with the red sox...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7245/career;_ylt=AhCpAG_7XIl4g4RmC5Z6N1aFCLcF

He might be capable of it with half his games at Fenway, just like we expect great things from Napoli if half of his games are at Fenway. The difference for me is playing time. RS have already said that they are looking for an extra piece - a 1st baseman/outfielder. I would imagine that given Ells and Victorino, Gomes is the weakest link. Not sure that he is going to get the at bats, but we will see.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

He might be capable of it with half his games at Fenway, just like we expect great things from Napoli if half of his games are at Fenway. The difference for me is playing time. RS have already said that they are looking for an extra piece - a 1st baseman/outfielder. I would imagine that given Ells and Victorino, Gomes is the weakest link. Not sure that he is going to get the at bats, but we will see.

yeah..i understand..but from what i read..the GM say's gomes is going to play alot...he will be the LF..i'm just one guy who thinks gomes will do damage..the guy has so much power.. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

We should have gone this way or looked strictly at 2014 and beyond (although your plan did both).

We all know that so many trades depend on others, but RS scooped up half of the free agents that they should have - valuable pieces that cost no prospects that could have been used for other trades.

For instance:

McCarthy: He was a key. Why couldn't we go 2/16 on this guy? Getting him would have leveraged Arizona into a different position. Maybe we would have let go of Doubront plus others to get Upton, but we would have had an affordable replacement. It's a blatant error to not pick up affordable FA pitching. Were RS worried about Clement-syndrome? Clement had a longer contract. McCarthy could have been had for low money and years.

Hamilton: Cost nothing in prospects (maybe a future pick, but well worth it). Potential for 40-HR, half would have been to the short porch at Yankee stadium!

Uehara and Ross were good catches (no pun), but I would like to see what we do with Lav/Salty. Lava could have gone in a package for Dickey.

K Morales was another key piece that we missed. He's in his last arb year and would have been affordable. You figure that it would have cost us a pitcher, but we could have had him for $5-6M for 2013 - much less than Berkman or Napoli. If Bogaerts/WMB are still around in 2013 and working the corners, then we cut Morales loose after 2013, but in my mind that would be a mistake. He's the switch-hitting 1st base/DH that we should be looking for to replace Papi. I would have offered 3/24 or 3/30 upon signing.

What to do with what we are left with?

They will play OK if they stay healthy. There is still a chance to get Upton. Gomez should back-up first until the All-Star break, then Bogaerts should take over. If he is that good, get him in the line-up. Chances are that Papi and/or Naps will be needing some rest by then, but I hope not. Bogaerts will have plenty of chances, if not then, then in September.

If we don't trade Ells, call up Brentz or JBJ in September. 2013 will be less successful if RS don't get some of the B's some playing time.

I agree with you about half measures. Drew is a half-measure and still a mystery to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

We all know that so many trades depend on others, but RS scooped up half of the free agents that they should have - valuable pieces that cost no prospects that could have been used for other trades.

For instance:

McCarthy: He was a key. Why couldn't we go 2/16 on this guy? Getting him would have leveraged Arizona into a different position. Maybe we would have let go of Doubront plus others to get Upton, but we would have had an affordable replacement. It's a blatant error to not pick up affordable FA pitching. Were RS worried about Clement-syndrome? Clement had a longer contract. McCarthy could have been had for low money and years.

I had mentioned signing McCarthy maybe 50 times this winter. I said I'd go as high as $24M/3, but we could have probbaly had him at $23M/3 or $16M/2. He's younger than Dempster and rates to be better by 2014 and 2015.

Hamilton: Cost nothing in prospects (maybe a future pick, but well worth it). Potential for 40-HR, half would have been to the short porch at Yankee stadium!

The draft pick lost would have been only our 2nd rounder, but I think Hamilton at 5 years was too much. Still, better than playing it halfway. Hamilton post prime will be better than Victorino at the end of his prime.

Uehara and Ross were good catches (no pun), but I would like to see what we do with Lav/Salty. Lava could have gone in a package for Dickey.

Not sure about this one.

K Morales was another key piece that we missed. He's in his last arb year and would have been affordable. You figure that it would have cost us a pitcher, but we could have had him for $5-6M for 2013 - much less than Berkman or Napoli. If Bogaerts/WMB are still around in 2013 and working the corners, then we cut Morales loose after 2013, but in my mind that would be a mistake. He's the switch-hitting 1st base/DH that we should be looking for to replace Papi. I would have offered 3/24 or 3/30 upon signing.

I liked the idea of trading for Morales, but only if we could extend him or if we had a legitimate chance at a ring in 2013.

What to do with what we are left with?

They will play OK if they stay healthy. There is still a chance to get Upton. Gomez should back-up first until the All-Star break, then Bogaerts should take over. If he is that good, get him in the line-up. Chances are that Papi and/or Naps will be needing some rest by then, but I hope not. Bogaerts will have plenty of chances, if not then, then in September.

If we don't trade Ells, call up Brentz or JBJ in September. 2013 will be less successful if RS don't get some of the B's some playing time.

I agree with you about half measures. Drew is a half-measure and still a mystery to me.

The one year deals are bridges to the youth or future FAs. It's the 3 year deals that bother me. They are clearly "halfway" measures. They fill needs but only halfway and will be in decline as we near 2015.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope so too. 

Trying to sign Napoli is like trying to finance a Korean car with a history of mechanical issues.  LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I hope so too. 

Trying to sign Napoli is like trying to finance a Korean car with a history of mechanical issues.  LOL

You mean the KIA with the 10 year/100K warranty?

Sections
Shortcuts