Napoli has been huge for Texas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Napoli has been huge for Texas

We had our chance to get Mike as our backup or starter a couple times and he has finally learned to hit all pitching which now makes him a valuable asset to Texas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Napoli has been huge for Texas

Yes, and he didn't cost much.

I had mentioned getting him this past winter, but as a catcher he has serious "game-calling issues". Once we got AGon, there was no point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The desire to get Napoli came after a 3-run HR. Why not this thread yesterday?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I cannot believe that the Blue Jays sent him to Texas for their closer who has been terrible for the Blue Jays. 

One dumb mistake made by Toronto's GM. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

In Response to Re: Napoli has been huge for Texas:
    [QUOTE]The desire to get Napoli came after a 3-run HR. Why not this thread yesterday?
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Napoli has had a good season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]The desire to get Napoli came after a 3-run HR. Why not this thread yesterday?

Wrong. It was in my posts last winter. After we got AGon, nobody wanted him here, except those who wanted Papi gone, or thought Napoli do well catching here. 

Napoli has always been a good hitter and is having a great season... before the 3 run job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, and he didn't cost much. I had mentioned getting him this past winter, but as a catcher he has serious "game-calling issues". Once we got AGon, there was no point.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Mike has hit very well against all pitching and has only 2 errors playing 1B and C this season.  He is also throwing out 43% of base runners.  Calling a good game isn't everything when you have the Stats Mike has put up. 

Good game calling skills are most important with younger pitchers.  Any veteran pitcher should know as much or more about hitters as his battery mate if they pay attention to the game.  With a good veteran pitcher, a catchers most important job should be to know what location to set up in and keeping his pitcher focused during the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I have always been a fan of Mike's and what difference does it make when we acknowledge what a player has done this season?  Are you really that little kid in the picture or just a sarcastic fan in general Echo?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I look at the top of my fantasy lineup and it's hard to believe that on August 22 Mike Napoli has a higher batting average than Albert Pujols (and an on-base percentage that is nearly 30 points higher than Pujols').

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Napoli was well disliked by Scioscia. Once you get on his bad side, you can forget about being an Angel. Napoli is a lot like VMART, a guy who can DH, play some 1b, and catch as a reserve, but he's not very good behind the dish overall on defense, pitch calling. He made more sense on the Sox as a DH-C more so because he's righty bat would have worked well in a lot of this year's throwaway lineups. Especially now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from >)))The.Babe(((<. Show >)))The.Babe(((<'s posts

[QUOTE]Napoli was well disliked by Scioscia. Once you get on his bad side, you can forget about being an Angel. Napoli is a lot like VMART, a guy who can DH, play some 1b, and catch as a reserve, but he's not very good behind the dish overall on defense, pitch calling. He made more sense on the Sox as a DH-C more so because he's righty bat would have worked well in a lot of this year's throwaway lineups. Especially now.

Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I believe lackey has a lower ERA throwing to napoli than any other catcher, even tek.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Napoli was well disliked by Scioscia. Once you get on his bad side, you can forget about being an Angel. Napoli is a lot like VMART, a guy who can DH, play some 1b, and catch as a reserve, but he's not very good behind the dish overall on defense, pitch calling. He made more sense on the Sox as a DH-C more so because he's righty bat would have worked well in a lot of this year's throwaway lineups. Especially now.

DC, with all due respect I have to disagree with this one.  Napoli has better all round numbers than both Salty and Tek in almost every category.  Mike has only made two errors this season, one at 1B and one at C.

Mike may just be finding himself this season as a late bloomer.  Lets see what he does next season and moving forward.  Game calling is generally overrated by many fans.  If you look around the league at which teams have had the most success in the PS "game calling skills" are rarely even a huge factor.  Here in Boston some fans talk about it as being huge, but it really comes down to Tek being here so long.  Any catcher who plays this long and especially for the same organization should call a better game over those who don't.

It didn't happen over night with Tek, look at his career early on and you will see this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Napoli has been huge for Texas : danny, with all due respect I have to disagree with this one.  Napoli has better all round numbers than both Salty and Tek in almost every category.  Mike has only made two errors this season, one at 1B and one at C. Mike may just be finding himself this season as a late bloomer.  Lets see what he does next season and moving forward.  Game calling is generally overrated by many fans.  If you look around the league at which teams have had the most success in the PS "game calling skills" are rarely a huge factor.  Here in Boston some fans talk about it as being a huge factor but it really comes down to Tek being here so long.  Any catcher who plays in the same organization this many years should call a better game over those who don't. It didn't happen over night with Tek, look at his career early on and you will see this.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

VMART is living proof.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Napoli has been huge for Texas : VMART is living proof.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Living proof of what harness?  Again you make no sense at all.  The Sox would have missed the playoffs regardless of who was catching last season.  Put your facts and mouth to work tonight and tell me how many teams have had PS success because of their catchers great game calling ability.

You are the expert at either twisting, or simply overlooking various stats to make your argument look more realistic so lets see what you have on your most recent statement. 

Take all night I'm going to rest it for today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hard to tell what the Sox were doing when they low-balled VMART in the negotiations. He clearly is a strong hitter and was doing great for Sox, plus he can hit from both sides of the plate. So, why didn't they resign him if they thought he could catch? Answer, the Sox did not want him to be their semi-regular catcher. They chose to go with Salty. That is a red flag right there on Victor's catching ability. Wouldn't the Sox be a more potent lineup with Victor and AGON? They felt they had a DH with power in Ortiz (they would be correct), and with AGON coming in a 1b, it allowed them to put Youk at 3b so they wouldn't have to overpay for Beltre. It all would have worked out perfectly except they errored on CC for a long term deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i gotta say theo really should have gone harder after napoli in the offseason. a platoon of napoli and tek would have been far better than that of salty and tek. it is pretty obvious salty is not the sox catcher of the future. that title will likely go to either ryan lavarnway(who could very well end up being a very similar player to napoli) or blake swihart. mike napoli is a player i have always liked and had always hoped the sox would trade for but unfortunately they never did. now mike has finally gotten a chance to start regularly for the most part and has thrived. but i think we could have our own napoli in ryan lavarnway. whether or not he hits for power the way napoli does remains to be seen. but if his minor league numbers are any indication about his ability to hit for power, i would say a 30+ homer season could be in his near future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

pride, I think Salty is very high on the Sox depth chart for the future. He's their catcher, so get used to it. I think Salty has done fine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Hard to tell what the Sox were doing when they low-balled VMART in the negotiations. He clearly is a strong hitter and was doing great for Sox, plus he can hit from both sides of the plate. So, why didn't they resign him if they thought he could catch? Answer, the Sox did not want him to be their semi-regular catcher. They chose to go with Salty. That is a red flag right there on Victor's catching ability. Wouldn't the Sox be a more potent lineup with Victor and AGON? They felt they had a DH with power in Ortiz (they would be correct), and with AGON coming in a 1b, it allowed them to put Youk at 3b so they wouldn't have to overpay for Beltre. It all would have worked out perfectly except they errored on CC for a long term deal.

Agreed DC,

Remember though, Tek was a very weak catcher when he joined the league and only became a "good catcher/game caller" after many years in the league.  Victor, Salty, Lavarnway etc. may never have this over Tek.  However, what really has been more important during for teams during the regular and PS?  A catcher who can couple good defense with timely hitting, or a guy like Tek who call a good game but may not have much else to offer?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

As long as we did not get Posada...we are good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]As long as we did not get Posada...we are good.
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]

Another good example of a team "the Yanks" who could care less about Posada's lack of game calling, but still win a championship.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Napoli has been huge for Texas : Living proof of what harness?  Again you make no sense at all.  The Sox would have missed the playoffs regardless of who was catching last season.  Put your facts and mouth to work tonight and tell me how many teams have had PS success because of their catchers great game calling ability. You are the expert at either twisting, or simply overlooking various stats to make your argument look more realistic so lets see what you have on your most recent statement.  Take all night I'm going to rest it for today.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

It only takes seconds. UR filtering process may take years.
    Look at VMART'S success rate of pitch calling in the PO's.
    He epitomizes UR statement.
    He is now a DH for a reason. And an overpaid one at that.

You have no concept of a catcher's true relevance.
    None at all. Read DC's post again. Team's know the full value of a really good hitting catcher in the everyday line-up. It allows them to aptly fill other positions to up-grade hitting.

So why aren't VMART or Napoli FT catchers? Take a few nights to think it over.
    I'm sure you'll never get it. Positively sure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

There are 5 teams playing at or near .600 ball which is more than usual I think... in short it is a good thing Cliff Lee did not sign with Texas. Napoli is only one of a number of players who have been huge for Texas in 11'.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I like Napoli-he's a dirt dog and would have fit in perfectly with Pedroia and Youk but it hasn't happened yet. 

My comment is not so much about his ability but something that happened when Salty and Bedard got together just before the two strike pitch to Napoli--if you taped the game--notice Bedard said to Salty as he was leaving very plainly "Fast Ball" in pretty plain view of the third base coach. The rest is history.

The first run wouldn't have scored if the ump got the call right on Kinsler's fly ball to Reddick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

THe Red Sox clearly should have had interest in him. He kills this team going back to the 2008 playoffs against Beckett. He is a way better hitter than Jason Varitek. I am wondering if they are going to go one more year on Varitek.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Napoli has been huge for Texas : It only takes seconds. UR filtering process may take years. Look at VMART'S success rate of pitch calling in the PO's. He epitomizes UR statement. He is now a DH for a reason. And an overpaid one at that. You have no concept of a catcher's true relevance . None at all. Read DC's post again. Team's know the full value of a really good hitting catcher in the everyday line-up. It allows them to aptly fill other positions to up-grade hitting. So why aren't VMART or Napoli FT catchers? Take a few nights to think it over. I'm sure you'll never get it. Positively sure.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Another dance around my question harness?  Teks importance to the Sox at this point was created by our own management, by not addressing the real issue with the correct person for the past 5 years.  Very few teams other than Boston "if any" have ever one a championship because they had a catcher who could call a good game and very few teams care.  I wouldn't even give much credit to Tek for our two WC's.  This was my point and question, not trying to compare Victors game calling to Tek as you tried to twist it.  Victor was here two years not 15 and even Tek took years to learn his own staff and to call a good game.

You simply try and give more credit to Tek over the staff like you do Lackey when he gets pulled but the team eventually wins.  Tunnel vision for your favorite players won't replace reality to most fans.  I have stated many times Jason has done a great job mentoring Salty but Tek can't teach Salty how to hit or throw, only what he has learned about the pitchers and league after 15 years.  These traits will come in time as it did for Jason, it's just a matter of when our management feels Salty has learned enough to let Tek go.