NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

Re: NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

Yes, the napoli to the Yanks rumours are picking up 

http://yanksinexile.com/new-york-yankees-could-make-offer-to-mike-napoli-as-potential-deal-with-boston-red-sox-hits-snag/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

We need a bridge at first to 2014.

Rather than give Napoli more money for a 1-year contract, I would advocate for going no more than the current yearly salary ($13M) and having vesting options for years 2 and 3 based on PA and OPS. If he can hit goals for PA and OPS, why wouldn't we want him.

Gomez should be the back-up for 2013. The career AAAA player should get his shot. We may be very surprised, and he doesn't cost prospects to get other 1st base options that are not optimal.

In a year, we evaluate Napoli/Gomez and/or get switch-hitting Kenrdys Morales to play first. Morse will also be a free agent and not cost any prospects at that time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Rather than give Napoli more money for a 1-year contract, I would advocate for going no more than the current yearly salary ($13M) and having vesting options for years 2 and 3 based on PA and OPS. If he can hit goals for PA and OPS, why wouldn't we want him.

Precisely.  Certainly less risky than spending prospects on Smoak, Morse or Moore, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

another Ben fiasco....no other way to judge this...

one year? the guy must be ready to explode based on that offer.....move on like Moon says

[/QUOTE]

And just how do you come to that conclusion Einstein? Like BC knew of this condition with his hip? Knock yourself out and criticize Ben when deserved but saying this is a Ben fiasco is just stupid...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just say no. Even to 1 year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

another Ben fiasco....no other way to judge this...

one year? the guy must be ready to explode based on that offer.....move on like Moon says

[/QUOTE]

And just how do you come to that conclusion Einstein? Like BC knew of this condition with his hip? Knock yourself out and criticize Ben when deserved but saying this is a Ben fiasco is just stupid...

[/QUOTE]

its not the signing maroon, even tho some would say 39 mil for a guy who has never played more than 114 games was dumb - it is the indecisiveness that followed....why would you devalue your own signing that badly with this revised offer? it reflects badly on ben and im sure it insults napoli....last time i checked the red sox are always seemingly crippled by injuries...sign him or move on...

is that clear?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

If the Sox are offering one year, it is very possible that they are doing so with the expectation of compromising on two years. My feeling is still that since the Sox have not walked away from this deal altogether, they feel that Napoli can and will be productive for at least 2013.

I share the same concerns as others as far as how this prolonged negotiating might be affecting Napoli's psyche. However, from everything I've read, both sides are treating the other respectfully and fairly. Also, Napoli is supposedly a good clubhouse guy and a good teammate. So hopefully, if a deal does get finalized, there will be no hard feelings.

Personally, I still hope the two sides can work something out, mainly because I am not thrilled with the idea of overpaying in prospects/players for either Morse or Smoak. Also, I would really hate for the Yankees to swoop in and sign him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

it is the indecisiveness that followed....why would you devalue your own signing that badly with this revised offer? it reflects badly on ben and im sure it insults napoli..

It's simple: there was a physical after the agreement.

The physical showed hip issues that prompted a revised offer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

it is the indecisiveness that followed....why would you devalue your own signing that badly with this revised offer? it reflects badly on ben and im sure it insults napoli..

[/QUOTE]

Geo, would you rather have BC ok the deal after learning of the hip issue?

OR

would you rather have him take a couple weeks to write protective language into the contract?

Best case:

scenario 1 - Naps plays good 1B/DH and averages 130 games a year over the 3 years at the normal rate

scenario 2 - Naps plays good 1B/DH for 1-2 years at a possibly reduced rate

worst case:

scenario 1 - Naps is on and off the DL for 3 years and gets paid 39 mil

scenario 2 - Naps is on and off the DL for 1season and is let go. only 1 year of salary is sunk.

so really why wouldn't you take the time to try to renegotiate the contract? The worst thing that can happen at this point is that they part ways and we're stuck with kotchman or another bum or a season. compared to 39 Mil flushed down the toilet..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I do not see this as a "Ben fiasco" as was mentioned above, but rather a pretty good move by Ben and the Sox to enable them to get full time play out of a guy that they are planning to pay to be a full time player.

If Napoli is not healthy, or doesn't project to be healthy enough to fulfill a three year deal for $39 (as something in his physical exam has indicated) then why would the Red Sox want to pay him what was originally agreed upon?   If they were just to sign this guy for $39M over three years and he broke down in May, that would be a "Ben fiasco".

Now, Napoli has no leverage.  He should be told to sign the one year deal by his agent and take the same approach that Beltre took (for a different reason) when he came to Boston for his one year.  I cannot imagine him getting anything better anywhere else at this time.

All the talk about Napoli could just end if the Sox would decide to give the 1B job to Gomez to start the year.  I believe with 500 ABs that Gomez will hit .275, 20HR and 85 RBI which more than equals Napoli's career hitting averages.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Geo, would you rather have BC ok the deal after learning of the hip issue?

OR

would you rather have him take a couple weeks to write protective language into the contract?

Best case:

scenario 1 - Naps plays good 1B/DH and averages 130 games a year over the 3 years at the normal rate

scenario 2 - Naps plays good 1B/DH for 1-2 years at a possibly reduced rate

worst case:

scenario 1 - Naps is on and off the DL for 3 years and gets paid 39 mil

scenario 2 - Naps is on and off the DL for 1season and is let go. only 1 year of salary is sunk.

so really why wouldn't you take the time to try to renegotiate the contract? The worst thing that can happen at this point is that they part ways and we're stuck with kotchman or another bum or a season. compared to 39 Mil flushed down the toilet..

[/QUOTE]

i have no problem with revising an offer but obviously the sox have MAJOR concerns...and napoli is not budging (why should he take a 26 million pay cut?) just move on....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

A one year deal with a vesting option based on playing time would be ideal.  If Napoli stays healthy enough he gets 2 years.  If he stays healthy enough and puts up solid numbers he'll be able to get another decent contract after that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A one year deal with a vesting option based on playing time would be ideal.  If Napoli stays healthy enough he gets 2 years.  If he stays healthy enough and puts up solid numbers he'll be able to get another decent contract after that.

[/QUOTE]

why would Napoli take that offer? im pretty sure he can get a one year contract anywhere...he chose boston because it was a 3 year deal that offered security...makes no sense...take your red sox glasses off please...just move on...Gomez is a better option

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Not a single person here has any idea of the seriousness of Napoli's injury, the Sox' negotiating stance or Napoli's intractability.

Many of the "move on" advocates want to move on to Gomez.  If you're happy with Gomez - and I certainly am not - what's the rush?  Gomez is the property of the Sox and will remain so.  If someone wanted to "move on" and sign LaRoche I disagreed, but there was some sense to it.  But "move on" to a guy we control and is going nowhere?  That's just impatience and frustration talking, and I can understand that.  But if we are able to sign Napoli to a more team-friendly contract why not take the time to do it?  If you're happy with Gomez he'll still be available as a fallback on 1 April.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why would Napoli take that offer? im pretty sure he can get a one year contract anywhere...he chose boston because it was a 3 year deal that offered security...makes no sense...take your red sox glasses off please...just move on...Gomez is a better option

[/QUOTE]

What you continue to overlook is that any and all contracts come with the condition of pending a physical...No team will sign him to a three year deal now that his hip condition has been fully vetted. Cherington is not going to enter into any agrement that is not supported by the team doctors and in this case Napoli doesn't have a ton of leverage. Sure he can sign a one year deal with any team. in the end, he and his agent both understand how the process works and if they wanted to walk away they'd have already done so..As long as the two sides are talking, it leaves me with the impression that they're trying to get the best deal in the interest of their respective clients. One that is fair and equitable...

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What you continue to overlook is that any and all contracts come with the condition of pending a physical...No team will sign him to a three year deal now that his hip condition has been fully vetted. Cherington is not going to enter into any agrement that is not supported by the team doctors and in this case Napoli doesn't have a ton of leverage. Sure he can sign a one year deal with any team. in the end, he and his agent both understand how the process works and if they wanted to walk away they'd have already done so..As long as the two sides are talking, it leaves me with the impression that they're trying to get the best deal in the interest of their respective clients. One that is fair and equitable...

[/QUOTE]
    I agree, it would be tough but not impossible for Nap to get a better deal elswhere after all this.  I'm just happy the Sox FO has looked at this signing closely, we have made too many of these mistakes over recent years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I agree, it would be tough but not impossible for Nap to get a better deal elswhere after all this.  I'm just happy the Sox FO has looked at this signing closely, we have made too many of these mistakes over recent years.

Mike Napoli should be able to land a one-year deal with a better team such as the New York Yankees:

http://www.yankees101.com/2013/01/12/new-york-yankees-could-make-offer-to-mike-napoli-as-potential-deal-with-boston-red-sox-hits-snag/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Mike Napoli should be able to land a one-year deal with a better team such as the New York Yankees:

http://www.yankees101.com/2013/01/12/new-york-yankees-could-make-offer-to-mike-napoli-as-potential-deal-with-boston-red-sox-hits-snag/

[/QUOTE]

I could see the Yankees handing Nap a better contract

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Forget Napoli.  They have wasted so much time and effort on this guy and he was NEVER the right guy to target.

Signing him for 1 year has a very Carlos delgado feel to it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'd still like to see Napoli signed but I must say the elapsed time on this thing has reached the point of absurdity. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Sox may as well say they are going to let Mauro Gomez and Travis Shaw fight it out for the starting job.

Then wait two weeks and sign a veteran who is looking for a job for one year - like Carlos Lee.

Go to spring training and see what happens.

If 1B is a disaster - make a deal at the deadline if you think you can contend.  If you are playing ousy and can't contend - just let it play itself out and wait for 2014 to find a 1B

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben bootlickers more worried about salvaging his already shaky gm rep than doing whats right for the team...move away from this overpriced, oft injured mistake...we will just add napoli to the long list of ben mistakes...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

[QUOTE]

ben bootlickers more worried about salvaging his already shaky gm rep than doing whats right for the team...move away from this overpriced, oft injured mistake...we will just add napoli to the long list of ben mistakes...

[/QUO

Do you actually believe the crap you post?

Sections
Shortcuts