NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

Sure... why not spend all summer on the DL with your feet up for about $8 million. If he doesn't want it then BurritoT will take that job for half that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Glad to hear if anything it's going to be a one year deal. It's amazing how many people are into this when they are completely unforgiving of any injuries to known players who have been here for years, and this guy has them just getting here.

Are they afraid everyone may be healthy this year and they won't have a player to beat up on for injuries? lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just cut the ties and move on...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Amen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i agree, at this point this thing is getting rediculous. now they are offering him a 1 year deal? like whats the point. clearly his hip issue is a big deal, offer him the 1 yr deal, take it or leave, if he says no move on. mike morse is probably a better option anyways. justin smoak is an intruiging option as well, hes young (26) is a switch hitter and its pretty decent defensively. worth taking a shot on. heck, call the twins again and ask about mauer. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the end Naploi and his agent have little leverage. They can go back to square one and try to find another team that'll roll the dice. As long as Cherington offers market value regardless of the length and it could be as simple as were willing to offer 1 year garanteed @ X with a mutual option for year 2 @ X with the condition of if he, due to his hip losses significant time to the DL (more than 45 days) then year two becomes a team option @ the ML minium. I would find it hard to believe that Napoli or his agent would take offense to such an offer. They might decline, but given his medicals. Unlike with the Red Sox who signed him with the condition of pending his passing a physical (which I believe they can't see before or administer to a player until they have a verbal agreement).

Moving forward, every team in MLB will want he and his agent to fully disclose his medicals before engaging him in contract negotiations or at minimum have them sign a consent form so they can speak with the Red Sox team doctors...End of the day the cat's out of the bag and whether he signs with us or not. Given that there's still a month before camp the Sox have time to put plan B into effect (trade?)...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

2 Year 24 million. If he plays more than 140 games 2nd yr kicks in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

another Ben fiasco....no other way to judge this...

one year? the guy must be ready to explode based on that offer.....move on like Moon says

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Even if they agree to a one year deal, how happy will Napoli be? He could be a disaster in the clubhouse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The closer it gets to spring training, the more Napoli is a man without a country. Unless or until another team is in the mix, the Sox have the advantage. My concern, along with his physical health, would be his psychological one, also. In the end, the Sox may get their man, but at what cost, monetarily or otherwise? Not a good situation, for either side

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

3 D's if he is signed:

DL

Disgruntled

Disaster

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Every option out there has flaws:

Morse-one year til FA--minor injury history.

Smoak hasn't proven anything.

Kotchman--world's #1 singles hitter with a mid .200 BA-great glove.

TYLER MOORE--may have more upside than all the above---Rookie--hasn't proven himself 100 %. Perhaps the Nat's would trade him for a lefty reliever and a very good prospect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how about our AAA MVP First baseman?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

how about our AAA MVP First baseman?

I agree, why not give him a shot. What is there to lose.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

one year? the guy must be ready to explode based on that offer.....move on like Moon says

Another implies more than one fiasco if you wouldn't mind elaboring on the list of others it would provide us with some context in whcih to engage you in debate?

Your assumption is that Napoli will fail to play to his ability and that the Red Sox will throw caution to the wind and sign him even though they know that his hip will prevent him form playing regualarly...

In case you have any interest in facts...Last year after returning from the DL in September in 41 at bats he hit .293 with 6 HR-15 RBI with a .383 OBP-Slugged .780 with a 1.163 OPS.

Dispite missing most of the season. In 352 at bats he finished with 24 HR with a 343 OBP-469 SLG-812 OPS. I get that his hip condition gives us all pause and well it should. That's why he's yet to sign his deal and why Cherington is trying to renegotiate and add an injury clause and it appears based on the latest reports, shorten the deal to one year...

What I still find funny is that all of the doom and gloomers. Don't understand that every FA contract and extensions given to are pending a physical...It appears that in the process that Napoli didn't pass his and thus the need to renegoitiate...Perhaps before jumping to conclusuions in which you don't have the facts. You might want to wait until the deal is completed...that way you don't have to recant your statement or say never mind....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

bean....looks like ben is the one who is going to have to backpeddle, not me...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Even if they agree to a one year deal, how happy will Napoli be? He could be a disaster in the clubhouse.

"He could be a disaster in the clubhouse."  For example, ADG, by constantly complaining?  Got any mirrors at home?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Every option out there has flaws:

Morse-one year til FA--minor injury history.

Smoak hasn't proven anything.

Kotchman--world's #1 singles hitter with a mid .200 BA-great glove.

TYLER MOORE--may have more upside than all the above---Rookie--hasn't proven himself 100 %. Perhaps the Nat's would trade him for a lefty reliever and a very good prospect.

In addition, Morse, Smoak and Moore all come with the added cost of prospects.

If the Sox were willing to go 3/39 assuming relative health, then they should be willing to structure a contract that will pay that if Napoli stays healthy.  And if he does not, then the Sox should be able to get out of the contract.  This can be done with options in years 2 and 3, much like beanetown suggested.  I'd rather the Sox do this than trade a reliever and good prospect for Smoak or Moore, or Morse, and then watch the prospect do well and Morse get injured, or Smoak disappoint yet again, or Moore never pan out.

My second choice would be to sign Kotchman for cheap and give Gomez the shot, with Kotchman as backup and late inning replacement...a la Doug Mientkewicz.  In fact, that is almost my first choice at this point. 

I DO worry about what Napoli will feel like after going through this, and (more importantly) how the fans will treat the guy if he does choose to sign here.  His situations is really a no-win for him.  And it is not really his fault.  If he does opt to sign here, because he has so few realistic options otherwise, I hope the fans will treat him well.  I just don't think they will.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hip injuries are just too risky. It is the key to turning on the ball. 

Let's move on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Another implies more than one fiasco if you wouldn't mind elaboring on the list of others it would provide us with some context in whcih to engage you in debate?

Your assumption is that Napoli will fail to play to his ability and that the Red Sox will throw caution to the wind and sign him even though they know that his hip will prevent him form playing regualarly...

In case you have any interest in facts...Last year after returning from the DL in September in 41 at bats he hit .293 with 6 HR-15 RBI with a .383 OBP-Slugged .780 with a 1.163 OPS.

Dispite missing most of the season. In 352 at bats he finished with 24 HR with a 343 OBP-469 SLG-812 OPS. I get that his hip condition gives us all pause and well it should. That's why he's yet to sign his deal and why Cherington is trying to renegotiate and add an injury clause and it appears based on the latest reports, shorten the deal to one year...

What I still find funny is that all of the doom and gloomers. Don't understand that every FA contract and extensions given to are pending a physical...It appears that in the process that Napoli didn't pass his and thus the need to renegoitiate...Perhaps before jumping to conclusuions in which you don't have the facts. You might want to wait until the deal is completed...that way you don't have to recant your statement or say never mind....

umm, i think there is thread at the tiop of bdc page that might address that....

just wow

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think Napoli would make 2013 more entertaining in what could otherwise be a drab year. So a one year contract with a team option for a second is what I would prefer. Trading prospects for Morse is not a good idea; this is a year to hold on to prospects unless there is a deal that is a steal. And I would rather see Napoli at 1B than Gomez.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Some New York fans hope the Yankees move in on Mike Napoli:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/131344-New-York-Yankees-2012-2013-Offseason-Outlook/page157

Scroll down.

Sections
Shortcuts