NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: NAPOLI offered a one year deal! BOTH sides still talking...

If we end up with Gomez at 1B, I don't want to hear anyone saying we have a serious shot at a ring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

If we end up with Gomez at 1B, I don't want to hear anyone saying we have a serious shot at a ring.

This I will agree with.  If we dont find away to inject power into this lineup , the Victorino, Dempster and Drew signings make a lot less sense.

There are really two ways to put up good offensive numbers.  Either well distributed power (7 of your 9 hitters can hit 20 dingers) or by having mashers in the middle.

Right now , we have neither.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

You just cant get away with having Kalish, Gomez, Lava in your everyday lineup unless you have an elite 3-4-5.

Pedroia, Ortiz, Middlebrooks is not an elite 3-4-5.

We need another hitter who can mash 30 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

You just cant get away with having Kalish, Gomez, Lava in your everyday lineup unless you have an elite 3-4-5.

Ellsbury will be healthy. ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if it were up to the loyalists on bdc, we would still be throwing Beckett on opening day because he's our ace....this napoli fiasco...highly amusing to see bootlickers twinsting themselves into pretzel shapes to support a guy that Ben wont finalize signing...just because....

i wouldnt want this clown to be signed for 5 million at this point...he is damaged goods

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

It doesn't matter WHO we end up with at first base, we STILL don't have a serious shot at a ring. There has been insufficient improvement in our starting rotation for us to contend this year. Napoli would be more entertaining than Gomez, but IMO we don't even have a serious shot at the playoffs at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

our pitching is the problem....we always hit

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

It seems to me that we always hit when the hits are meaningless...like in 10-1 romps, or whatever.

It would be nice to see clutch hitting for a change.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

we would still be throwing Beckett on opening day because he's our ace....

I'd take Beckett as our ace since this will be an odd-numbered season...lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wow! I got left all by myself here....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Where are all the other pages for this thread??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

44 days and counting. This is sad. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

It doesn't matter WHO we end up with at first base, we STILL don't have a serious shot at a ring. There has been insufficient improvement in our starting rotation for us to contend this year. Napoli would be more entertaining than Gomez, but IMO we don't even have a serious shot at the playoffs at all.

I've been saying we don't have a serious chance at ring all winter, even with a healthy Naps; my point was that I don't want to hear the posters who said we did have a legitimate chance to win a ring, say it if we end up with Gomez as our FT 1Bman (or in some Kotchman platoon some clown is advocating).

Like Drew says, we neither have a balanced line-up or  mashers in the middle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I've been saying we don't have a serious chance at ring all winter, even with a healthy Naps; my point was that I don't want to hear the posters who said we did have a legitimate chance to win a ring, say it if we end up with Gomez as our FT 1Bman (or in some Kotchman platoon some clown is advocating).

You will hear it anyway. There will always be posters who see only the good stuff about the team, which is fine. Makes for a nice balance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You will hear it anyway. There will always be posters who see only the good stuff about the team, which is fine. Makes for a nice balance.

, unless we pull off a trade (not likely).

It's a Catch-22. I don't want us to sign Naps now with the bum hip, but if we don't we're a joke of a pretender this year, unless we pull of a pretty modest trade (not likely).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

with that Babe Ruth League distance in LF.

Puffery. How 'bout Bucky Dent distance in LF.

babe ruth league is where 13-15 year olds play and the fences are about 300ft away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BombBuster. Show BombBuster's posts

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4181/mike-napoli

In the for what it's worth column.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

The subject I was responding to was hitting, Capt. Obvious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Progress For Red Sox, Mike Napoli By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 16, 2013 at 11:05am CST]

Mike Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress toward a new agreement, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. The deal isn’t done, however, and both sides are keeping their options open. The situation should be resolved by next week at the latest, according to Heyman.

The sides had agreed to a three-year, $39MM contract, but the deal didn’t go through as expected. Napoli has a hip issue that prompted the Red Sox to seek protective language in the deal. The 31-year-old has remained Boston’s top first base target and seems like a more probable solution than trade candidate Michael Morse, Heyman writes. Despite the hip issue, Napoli expects to be ready for Opening Day. He is said to be talking to a couple of other American League clubs, according to Heyman.

The Red Sox are exploring trades for a left-handed hitting first baseman/outfielder, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports (Twitter link). Boston would like to complement right-handed hitters such as Napoli and Jonny Gomes, who both have a history of effectiveness against left-handed pitching.

(from MLBTR)

(I read this as the 3/39 is no longer in play...will be interested to see what the final agreement ends up being in years and dollars.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Tom Brady and the Patriots will win this year's Super Bowl before Napoli's deal gets finalized.  LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Progress For Red Sox, Mike Napoli By Ben Nicholson-Smith[January 16, 2013 at 11:05am CST]

Mike Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress toward a new agreement, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. The deal isn’t done, however, and both sides are keeping their options open. The situation should be resolved by next week at the latest, according to Heyman.

The sides had agreed to a three-year, $39MM contract, but the deal didn’t go through as expected. Napoli has a hip issue that prompted the Red Sox to seek protective language in the deal. The 31-year-old has remained Boston’s top first base target and seems like a more probable solution than trade candidate Michael Morse, Heyman writes. Despite the hip issue, Napoli expects to be ready for Opening Day. He is said to be talking to a couple of other American League clubs, according to Heyman.

The Red Sox are exploring trades for a left-handed hitting first baseman/outfielder, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports (Twitter link). Boston would like to complement right-handed hitters such as Napoli and Jonny Gomes, who both have a history of effectiveness against left-handed pitching.

(from MLBTR)

(I read this as the 3/39 is no longer in play...will be interested to see what the final agreement ends up being in years and dollars.)

Agreed...3/39 "guaranteed" DEFINITELY won't be in play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I read this as the 3/39 is no longer in play...will be interested to see what the final agreement ends up being in years and dollars.

Here's what I think he will end up having to take or walk (just my hunch):

$12M/1 with a $1M bonus for over 550 PAs.

2nd year team option at $12M base if under 550 in 2013 and $13M base if over 550 PAs in 2013 with $1M buyout.

3rd year same as 2nd.

I would not do this deal. At this point, I'd be afraid to give $8M/1.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I read this as the 3/39 is no longer in play...will be interested to see what the final agreement ends up being in years and dollars.

2nd year team option at $12M base if under 550 in 2013 and $13M base if over 550 PAs in 2013 with $1M buyout.

3rd year same as 2nd.

I think the length of the delay has contributed to negative impressions of how bad Napoli's hip is.

Just keep in mind, the Sox infallible medical guys are the only ones who have the knowledge here, so we're in great hands. :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Napoli-Red Sox situation likely to be resolved by next week By Jon Heyman | Baseball Insider January 16, 2013 9:42 am ET Mike Napoli has a 1.107 OPS at Fenway, so Red Sox are trying to make their deal stick. (US Presswire) Free-agent Mike Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress and continue to try to work out an agreement after the first deal -- three years, $39 million -- hit a snag, though the new deal isn't done yet and Napoli and Boston are keeping their options open. More on Red Sox Related content Rumors: Red Sox eyeing Overbay, Kotchman? More news & notes | Latest MLB rumors There is a belief that there will be a resolution to the situation by next week at the latest. The Red Sox re-opened talks after something came up in the physical following the first agreement, but Napoli has remained their top first base target. Boston has been said all along much more likely to sign Napoli than make a trade for Mike Morse, as it still considers Napoli the best fit for them and Fenway. Napoli has a career 1.107 OPS at Fenway, the highest ever for a right-handed batter. Napoli is said to be talking to a couple other American League teams but the Red Sox are clearly heavily involved and may be the focus. The Mariners and Rangers originally had interest. There is said to have been a concern with a hip that came up in the physical, but league sources suggest Napoli expects to be ready for Opening Day. He is said to have been working out. It's been more than seven weeks since the sides made the original agreement.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

3rd year same as 2nd.

There is no harm whatsoever in a one year deal with team options for all additional years. I think it would be entertaining to see if Napoli can continue to rake at Fenway. I suspect his numbers will decline significantly because the excellent OPS is based on a very small sample size, but his story line is one that would hold some interest this year.

Sections
Shortcuts