In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That could mean that they are not going to sign Drew.

[/QUOTE]

That's a shame, and a mistake.

[/QUOTE]

Sox are still in on Drew. They may be able to get him for one year if the Yankees don't want him.  No one else is going to give up a pick for him.

[/QUOTE]

Stephen Drew - SS -  Red Sox

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe believes that re-signing Stephen Drew remains an possibility for the Red Sox.

Abraham cautions detractors not to underestimate how much the Red Sox like the veteran shortstop. His market has been incredibly quiet this winter, and the World Champions would love to bring him back at a discount to provide defensive stability at shortstop while having an insurance policy in case Will Middlebrooks falters at third base.[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox should know the need for experience at that pivotal position. There's just so much going on that has to be factored in when you're playing SS. And so much that involves other positions as well. I don't want a newbie at SS, with something to prove and panic only seconds away. The Tigers know this as well.

[/QUOTE]

Derek Jeter was the starting SS for a World Series Champion during his first full season. Cal Ripken, Nomar Garciaparra, Alex Rodriguez & Troy Tulowitski, among others, all had excellent seasons as rookie starting shortstops.  I don't think "experience" is as much of a key factor at shortstop as "talent" is.  Xander Bogaerts has a ton of talent.  While there's still a slim chance that he won't be the starting SS next year if they move Middlebrooks (It is and always has been highly doubtful in my opinion), I don't think anyone is going to be worrying about the shortstop position after 2014.  

[/QUOTE]

Well, I think we saw a starting SS in the playoffs, supposedly the best there was among his peers. In comparison, our SS saved us in a lot of games. There are exceptions, and your list includes the most outstanding of SSs, but I didn't think Bogaerts was all that great when I saw him. He was fine, but I'd still take Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts is arguably one of the 3 most "talented" Red Sox prospects over the last 40 years along with Nomar & Fred Lynn, although Bogaerts' is more highly touted than Nomar was. Since you "didn't think he was all that great," maybe they should trade him?  Let me ask, though. Was it the 8 games he's played at shortstop as a Major Leaguer or was it those 70 at bats he's had as a just turned 21 year old that made you think he can't handle being an every day shortstop in the Majors?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Napoli Signed!!

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

They are saying on 98.5 that Rob Bradford's twitter broke that the Sox signed Napoli!

SWWWWWEEEEETTTT

Anyone have a twitter account and link?

https://twitter.com/bradfo/status/409140458640928768\

If true, the Red Sox are down to two compensatory sandwich-round draft picks.

... and I think it's a great signing for the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]

What about Ellsbury? You get a pick for him. Down to 1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox are still in on Drew. They may be able to get him for one year if the Yankees don't want him.  No one else is going to give up a pick for him.

[/QUOTE]

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe believes that re-signing Stephen Drew remains an possibility for the Red Sox.

Abraham cautions detractors not to underestimate how much the Red Sox like the veteran shortstop. His market has been incredibly quiet this winter, and the World Champions would love to bring him back at a discount to provide defensive stability at shortstop while having an insurance policy in case Will Middlebrooks falters at third base.[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox should know the need for experience at that pivotal position. There's just so much going on that has to be factored in when you're playing SS. And so much that involves other positions as well. I don't want a newbie at SS, with something to prove and panic only seconds away. The Tigers know this as well.

[/QUOTE]

Derek Jeter was the starting SS for a World Series Champion during his first full season. Cal Ripken, Nomar Garciaparra, Alex Rodriguez & Troy Tulowitski, among others, all had excellent seasons as rookie starting shortstops.  I don't think "experience" is as much of a key factor at shortstop as "talent" is.  Xander Bogaerts has a ton of talent.  While there's still a slim chance that he won't be the starting SS next year if they move Middlebrooks (It is and always has been highly doubtful in my opinion), I don't think anyone is going to be worrying about the shortstop position after 2014.  

[/QUOTE]

Well, I think we saw a starting SS in the playoffs, supposedly the best there was among his peers. In comparison, our SS saved us in a lot of games. There are exceptions, and your list includes the most outstanding of SSs, but I didn't think Bogaerts was all that great when I saw him. He was fine, but I'd still take Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts is arguably one of the 3 most "talented" Red Sox prospects over the last 40 years along with Nomar & Fred Lynn, although Bogaerts' is more highly touted than Nomar was. Since you "didn't think he was all that great," maybe they should trade him?  Let me ask, though. Was it the 8 games he's played at shortstop as a Major Leaguer or was it those 70 at bats he's had as a just turned 21 year old that made you think he can't handle being an every day shortstop in the Majors?

[/QUOTE]

It was the fact that I heard the same thing about Inglesias. He was supposedly unbelievable. Amazing hands. The best they've ever seen. There were people who wanted him as the starting SS last season. Do you, honestly, believe we win a championship removing Drew and putting Inglesias in the game?

A just turned 21 year old has plenty of time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was the fact that I heard the same thing about Inglesias. He was supposedly unbelievable. Amazing hands. The best they've ever seen. There were people who wanted him as the starting SS last season. Do you, honestly, believe we win a championship removing Drew and putting Inglesias in the game?

[/QUOTE]

How can you compare the two? Iggy is projected to be Rey Ordonez, Bogaerts is projected to be an All star. It really doesn't matter where he is going to play he is going to play. The actual question is Middlebrooks or Drew. I would take the power potential unless they figure out who is going to play center.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

GREAT  !!!!!!   Now, with SALTY & JACOBY gone we need to move on from DREW ......  Then the stage will be set for some "ACTION" at the winter meetings......  Look for Middle brooks to be part of a deal ....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Double victory!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Good move, obvious move. It was becoming clearer with every passing day that there just weren't any better options out there for first base (not when the consensus best fallback would be Corey Hart coming off surgery on both knees).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I like Napoli, but 16 million for a .259 hitter? These salaries are ridiculous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Napoli, but 16 million for a .259 hitter? These salaries are ridiculous.

[/QUOTE]

Kel, I wish i knew how to play baseball. Now all I can do is talk about it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Excellent signing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli's hip is supposedly much better than last winter. He played more games than ever in 2013 and suprised many of us with his quickness playing 1B.

It kind of makes you wish we had kept the original deal last winter of $39M/3, but it was understandable to hedge the hip injury.

I think we may still be in on Drew. We could keep Middy for depth, or we could end up trading him with starting pitcher for a CF'er. 

I'd like to see us sign Tanaka and then trade Dempster & Peavy for a needed piece(s).

[/QUOTE]

If we keep Drew, we are also keeping the World Champion infield in tack. They know each other, they've played with each other and they've won a championship with each other. Let's keep that going.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, consistetnly solid shortstop and great combination with Pedey. He has a sweet swing but is streaky like his brother was.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Great signing.  It's good to see loyalty be rewarded.  Naps is a class act and a perfect fit in Boston.

Now cue the "he strikes out too much!" clan.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I approve this signing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

GREAT  !!!!!!   Now, with SALTY & JACOBY gone we need to move on from DREW ......  Then the stage will be set for some "ACTION" at the winter meetings......  Look for Middle brooks to be part of a deal ....

[/QUOTE]

Not that billy knows anything beyond rank speculation, but I personally think it's fool-hearty to move Middy at this point.  It's selling short.  It would certainly be wiser to give the kid another crack at 3rd, & showcase that big bat of his.  I personally wouldn't give up on the kid at all, as the Sox will certainly need another big stick in the 2014 lineup.  Move Boggy to SS, & go with it.  2014 is going to be a work in progress season, working through the growing pains of a few young guys, including JBJ.  Middy, if he needs to be moved at all, will certainly have a much higher market value come the trade deadline in 2014.  Time wll tell, but it could easily be argued that Iggy was moved way too early, if he should have been moved at all.  I'm ok with Iggy, as there is a valid argument that the Sox don't win in 2013 without Peavy???  Still undecided about that, as Lester & Lackey are the biggest factor in the WS win.  Peavy had very little to do with it.

Look at Pedroia.  You don't build championship teams by giving up too soon on your young talent!  Not that Middy is necessarily in that league, or ever will be?  You just don't give up on a big stick that quickly.  I think the kid could be decent at 3rd, & eventually a great option at 1st, post Naps!  If we give up on him now, we lose out down the road.  I don't see Middy as just another Pen'a, with nothing more than a big bat.  I don't see anybody giving us much for Middy right now, & a package deal does nothing more than mask how little we are actually getting for his potential!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

We have to try and be consistent here. Can we celebrate re- signing Napoli for 16 mil per, then ridicule the Yankees for signing Beltran for 15 mil per ? The difference between two and three years is not such a big deal. While Beltran is older, he seems to be in as good, or better , shape than Napoli. I think most people in baseball would say that Beltran is the better player. We are certainly on a World Series high, but let's not lose sight of reality. Some of us are extolling Ben's every move, while underestimating the moves of other G.M.s. That can change in a hurry. It is a very competitive business. If you slip just a bit, others can pass you up very quickly. We are the champions. At this moment, we are probably not as good a team as we were last October. I hope that Ben has more plans in mind. Let's not get too smug in the meantime. 

[/QUOTE]

Lets actually be fair. The Yankees gave a 37 more money than anyone else. The Red Sox signed a 32 year old player who left money on the table. The Red Sox didn't have a first baseman. The Yankees had 5 outfielders.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How can you compare the two? Iggy is projected to be Rey Ordonez, Bogaerts is projected to be an All star. It really doesn't matter where he is going to play he is going to play. The actual question is Middlebrooks or Drew. I would take the power potential unless they figure out who is going to play center.

[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting that Ben doesn't seem to be totally on board with just having Bogaerts at SS. If they're spending money on a SS anyway, might as well have a guy who knows what he's doing with this team already.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to futbal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli's hip is supposedly much better than last winter. He played more games than ever in 2013 and suprised many of us with his quickness playing 1B.

It kind of makes you wish we had kept the original deal last winter of $39M/3, but it was understandable to hedge the hip injury.

I think we may still be in on Drew. We could keep Middy for depth, or we could end up trading him with starting pitcher for a CF'er. 

I'd like to see us sign Tanaka and then trade Dempster & Peavy for a needed piece(s).

[/QUOTE]

If we keep Drew, we are also keeping the World Champion infield in tack. They know each other, they've played with each other and they've won a championship with each other. Let's keep that going.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, consistetnly solid shortstop and great combination with Pedey. He has a sweet swing but is streaky like his brother was.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

I find it interesting that Ben doesn't seem to be totally on board with just having Bogaerts at SS. If they're spending money on a SS anyway, might as well have a guy who knows what he's doing with this team already.

[/QUOTE]

You are confused. As a matter of fact they have said multiple they are comfortable with Bogaerts anywhere on left side of the infield. They aren't comfortable with Middlebrooks. If there was a cheap 3rd baseman on market they would be all over him. The Red Sox love Bogaerts. The only reason Drew would be on roster would be to take at bats from Middlebrooks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

You are confused. As a matter of fact they have said multiple they are comfortable with Bogaerts anywhere on left side of the infield. They aren't comfortable with Middlebrooks. If there was a cheap 3rd baseman on market they would be all over him. The Red Sox love Bogaerts. The only reason Drew would be on roster would be to take at bats from Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

I can't agree with this more.  It has nothing to do about Xander and everything to do about MB.  That said, ~$12 mil per year for a player like Drew is an expensive insurance policy with ~$2 mil left under the cap.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

For all the grief Napoli took last year I think the majority of us can agree he is an asset to the team.  He led all of MLB 1st basebman in UZR, and we took his ups with his downs.  But for the money we paid and the length of the contract I'd rather have Napoli than one of these 22+ million a year firstbaseman. 

But another stat that I think is often not looked at but overall very telling of what a player does in your lineup is P/PA (pitches seen per plate appearance)

Napoli led all of baseball in that category with a 4.59

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For all the grief Napoli took last year I think the majority of us can agree he is an asset to the team.  He led all of MLB 1st basebman in UZR, and we took his ups with his downs.  But for the money we paid and the length of the contract I'd rather have Napoli than one of these 22+ million a year firstbaseman. 

But another stat that I think is often not looked at but overall very telling of what a player does in your lineup is P/PA (pitches seen per plate appearance)

Napoli led all of baseball in that category with a 4.59

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Naps might be streaky as all get out, but, even when he is in Full Strike Out Beast Mode, he is a grindah.  

People also underestimate, because of his streakiness, just how good protection he is for Papi.  Sure he isn't Manny, but he is a serious threat to clear any bases you fill at any given moment.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox were losing out on Nap when the Rangers stepped in and offered him a strong contract.  I heard group of Sox players urged FO and Farrell to make the stronger offer so that Nap could come back.  Sox had offered 2/30 originally and they added 2M more.  

Sections
Shortcuts