Napoli vs. Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Napoli vs. Gonzalez

It is amazing that when all is said and done, how they compare. Napoli has been as good at the plate. And while Gonzalez is better defensively, Napoli has been pretty decent overall and certanly hasn't been a liability.

Nap:136 G, 125 H, 78 R, 36 2B, 2 3B, 23 HR, 90 RBI, 69 BB, 182 K, .257/.355/.480/.836.
    A-Gon: 152 G, 167 H, 67 R, 31 2B, 0 3B, 21 HR, 98 RBI, 45 BB,  98 K, .293/.341/.458/.799.

If you look at more stats, there are others where A-Gon has a slight over Napoli. Napoli actually should have more RBIs, because his batting average is slightly lower w/RISP and w men on base than his season average. That's why I'm hesitant to say he's been better than A-Gon at the plate.

But when you look at everything, the Sox didn't lose much going from A-Gon to Napoli at 1B.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Napoli vs. Gonzalez

Gotta say, the #1 reason I was sad to see Adrian go was because, while his solid-but-unspectacular-offense could be replaced, I thought he was the best defensive first baseman I have ever seen in a Sox uni (all respect due to Yooooouuk).  And, i though Napoli would be a complete liability in the field.  But, Napoli has been more than competent.  Perhaps it his experience at catcher, but he is exemplary at digging throws out of the dirt and covering for bad throws in general.  Really pleasantly surprised with his D.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Napoli's stats certainly suggest more thump than Agon's but

.257 BA vs .293 BA

182 K's vs 98 K's

Discounting the $$$ cost, team chemistry, etc., I still like Agon's stats over Nap's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

.257 BA vs .293 BA

182 K's vs 98 K's

Discounting the $$$ cost, team chemistry, etc., I still like Agon's stats over Nap's.

But for what AGON produces? you can replace that with 20 million.  I'd rather pay out 20 million to an allstar catcher or a SS.  First baseman are easier to find.  

I try not to think of it as player A vs. player B but rather the total net outcome of the team.  If the money was par, Agon > Napoli is a no brainer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Park adjusted OPS+ is a virtual dead heat.

Napoli 126

AGon 124

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

.257 BA vs .293 BA

182 K's vs 98 K's

Fair enough, but don't discount the fact that Napoli has a higher OBP and higher slugging percentage. So despite fewer strikeouts and more hits, Napoli is getting on base at a higher percentage and has more extra-base hits despite a lot fewer plate appearances.

So when you look at all the more times A-Gon put the ball in play, wouldn't you expect him to more than an plus-eight advantage in RBIs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Gotta say, the #1 reason I was sad to see Adrian go was because, while his solid-but-unspectacular-offense could be replaced, I thought he was the best defensive first baseman I have ever seen in a Sox uni (all respect due to Yooooouuk).  And, i though Napoli would be a complete liability in the field.  But, Napoli has been more than competent.  Perhaps it his experience at catcher, but he is exemplary at digging throws out of the dirt and covering for bad throws in general.  Really pleasantly surprised with his D.

Agree.

I hated losing Gonzalez and thought he got something of a bad rap here. But in the end, the Sox have come out OK -- for this year at least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Dollar for Dollar, Naps has been the better choice....and I liked Agon, but losing him enabled the sox to hit the Reset button and that was priceless. I thought Agon got a bad rap also, but it is also true that Naps fits the Dirt Dog mold that Sox fans prefer better than Agon did......we seem to prefer guys who play like weekend softballers in the neighborhood, than guys who make things look easy....somehow it makes us feel more like they are one of us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I was not sad to see A-Gonz to be traded cuz Boston had too many left handed hitters in the line up in the last two years.  Cant have two power hitters batting left handed from the #3 to #4 slots.  That is why Napoli is a perfect guy to bat next to Papi.   If A-Gonz and Papi playing for the yankees, then that is a perfect line up to have for the yankees team cuz of short right field porch. 

Anyway, I do hope that Napoli is going to resign.  If not, I do not want to throw as many prospects to get a young talent right handed hitter such as Stanton or like him.  Better to play safe by resigining Napoli!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Space, do me a favor look up Nap's stats in the 8th & 9th inning. Then do the same for Gonzales & get back to me I am sure there will be a clear winner

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i was very sad to see A-gon go but we made out pretty well this year. No matter how you look at it A-gon and Napoli have had almost identical production this year (considering both offense and defense) but one is making 13M and the other 20M. So it looks like Naps is in the lead. We also still have to count post season production too.. If A-gon or Napoli become PS heroes for their respective team that would tip the balance 1 way or the other.

but we still have to play this game next year and the year after that.... I think i would still rather have A-gon slated as my firstbaseman for the next 5 years than the potential merry-go-round we might see. I suppose that's just weighing a known quantity against the unknown though..

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to NLU75's comment:

[QUOTE]

Space, do me a favor look up Nap's stats in the 8th & 9th inning. Then do the same for Gonzales & get back to me I am sure there will be a clear winner

[/QUOTE]

Since when was Gonzalez ever clutch? Did he believe it was just God's will if he won or lost?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Dollar for Dollar, Naps has been the better choice....and I liked Agon, but losing him enabled the sox to hit the Reset button and that was priceless. I thought Agon got a bad rap also, but it is also true that Naps fits the Dirt Dog mold that Sox fans prefer better than Agon did......we seem to prefer guys who play like weekend softballers in the neighborhood, than guys who make things look easy....somehow it makes us feel more like they are one of us.

great line tom

cano knows exactly what U R saying

obviously there are exceptions but there's a whole lotta  truth there

must admit napoli played a better 1B than I expected

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Well FWIW, A-Gon is batting well over .300 w/RISP while Napoli is slightly something like .253 w/RISP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

Well FWIW, A-Gon is batting well over .300 w/RISP while Napoli is slightly something like .253 w/RISP.

[/QUOTE]

yeah, A-gon is money with RISP.

he had a "down year" in 2012 and still led the league with hitting in RISP and was tops in doubles.. that's what i like about him. In a league of streaky hitters, He is consistnely good-great. He obviously has hot and cold streaks but a graph of his production certainly doesn't look like a roller coaster ride like Napolis does.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When it comes to RISP, late in close, tie game and hitting 7-9, the clear winner is Gonzalez.

If you look at all the stats, there are some where A-Gon is better and some where Napoli is better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

yeah, A-gon is money with RISP.

he had a "down year" in 2012 and still led the league with hitting in RISP and was tops in doubles.. that's what i like about him. In a league of streaky hitters, He is consistnely good-great. He obviously has hot and cold streaks but a graph of his production certainly doesn't look like a roller coaster ride like Napolis does.

Even in 2011, his clutch stats were very good. And he batted .318 with 4 HR, 14 RBIs in Sept. Yeah, he probably should have had another clutch hit or two that last month, but so could have Ortiz and the entire lineup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No need my friend.  Nowhere in my statement did I claim that these two players were equal.  Merely that I am pleasantly surprised at Nap's defense.  In a vacuum, with no consideration for the bottom line, would I prefer to have Adrian Gonzalez on my team?  Yes, of course.  I love Adrian Gonzalez.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

No need my friend.  Nowhere in my statement did I claim that these two players were equal.  Merely that I am pleasantly surprised at Nap's defense.  In a vacuum, with no consideration for the bottom line, would I prefer to have Adrian Gonzalez on my team?  Yes, of course.  I love Adrian Gonzalez.  

Agree.

The purpose of my OP was to point out that the Sox made out pretty well at 1B with Napoli. That was my major concern coming into the season because I expected Gonzalez to have a very good season.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love that A-gone is gone.

[/QUOTE]

It was God's will.

Sections
Shortcuts