napoli...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

napoli...

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and Sirius XM reports that Mike Napoli is holding out for a four-year deal from the Red Sox.

If Napoli can't get it from Boston, he's going to look for alternatives. With that in mind, Bowden hears that Napoli will meet with the Mariners, who may be willing to give a fourth year. The 31-year-old is coming off a down year, but has plenty of pop and could be used at catcher, first base or DH.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Re: napoli...

He is lucky he gets a three yr contract imo. He isn't worth three years, no matter what he hit at Fenway. I still say try and make a trade for Hosmer for Salty, Aceves or Morales. That kid can play and is a true 1b and is cheap too. A lot cheaper then Napoli would cost.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He is lucky he gets a three yr contract imo. He isn't worth three years, no matter what he hit at Fenway. I still say try and make a trade for Hosmer for Salty, Aceves or Morales. That kid can play and is a true 1b and is cheap too. A lot cheaper then Napoli would cost.

[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree.  Hosmer had a negative WAR last year and maybe should have been sent back to the minors.  Napoli is a proven quantity and can slide to DH in year 3 if Papi is gone.  We have lots of payroll room.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Maybe there will also be a couple guys on the waiver wire...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

napoli would be nice in fenway...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

No more long term over inflated contracts for marginal players.  I say pass.  Let the Mariners give him the 4 years and he can  hit 10 home runs a year in that big ball park.  Hold the line BC

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hosmer is only 22 and did hit good agst. east div. rivals

Runs     Hits   HR's   RBI's  avg.   OBP  SLG

Yanks 33 at bats        2         9       0        4      273    391   394

Jays    34 at bats        5         9        2       6      265    306   471

can't use this stat differ pitchers next season

Balt    35 at bats        2          7         0      3      200    243    229

Rays   20  at bats      2           7        1      3       350     409   500

The Sox can get Berkman ( one year contract) and Hosmer for the same value as Napoli Laroche. Berkman is a vet and will take a one year deal and play back up to Hosmer and pinch hit. Depth chart on first will be Hosmer Berkman Sands.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i dont think i would give napoli 4 years, 3 plus a team option. thats more than enough. especially if we plan on using him at catcher. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If we dont get Napoli or laroche tyes to play 1b, we may consider a possible Non-Tendered cadidate. Daric Barton of the A's may be one.

Ok, hear me out before you stop reading.

Hes only played PT the last couple years, but when he played 159 games in 2010 he had a line of .273AVG .391OBP .401SLG. His K/BB ratio is outstanding and hes not a FA until 2015.

I understand we would like more power at that position, but if we dont get one, this guy might be a good cheap alternative that fits in the patient batter mold that BC is getting back to, if in fact he is non-tendered...

Im not sure if he has an injury history, so if someone knows something that Im not aware of please enlighten me.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5928&position=1B

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Royals would NEVER deal Hosmer for that package of mediocrity.  Not only are you offering lesser, more expensive players, you are actually trying to deal into their strengths.  The Royals have a very good bullpen, and have a young catcher in Salvador Perez who is a better hitter than Saltalamacchia and whom they recently extended last season.

If you want Hosmer, you have to be prepared to give up two from Bogearts, Bradley, Bardnes and Webster, plus Doubront.  Doubtful KC  gives up on hosmer for much less after one bad season.  If you think that pricetag is too much, maybe you do not want Hosmer....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

November 22nd, 2012
    Source: Mike Napoli, reportedly pursued by Red Sox, to meet Mariners
    Posted by Scott Lauber at 11:52 pm

If the Red Sox really are interested in signing free agent Mike Napoli, they appear to have competition from the Seattle Mariners.

According to an industry source, Napoli is scheduled to meet with the Mariners, who likely would utilize him primarily as a catcher. Meanwhile, ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden reported Thursday via Twitter that the 31-year-old (AP photo, right) has received a three-year offer from the Red Sox but is seeking a four-year contract.

Napoli, a longtime Red Sox killer dating back to his days with the Los Angeles Angels, figures to be most useful to the Sox as a first baseman. They already have three major league-caliber catchers, including recently signed backup David Ross, and may be dangling Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Ryan Lavarnway as trade bait. Napoli recently told ESPNDallas.com that he’s willing to play first base or designated hitter, but it’s believed he strongly prefers catching. Measured against other catchers, Napoli’s offense is viewed as above-average; as a first baseman, it’s less impressive.

Overall, Napoli is coming off a down year in which he dealt with leg injuries and batted only .227 with 24 homers, 56 RBI and an .812 on-base plus slugging percentage in 108 games for the Texas Rangers, who declined to make him a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer. But he’s also only one year removed from career-highs in nearly every offensive category, including batting average (.320), homers (30), RBI (75), on-base percentage (.414) and OPS (1.046).

And the Red Sox may believe Napoli is a natural fit based on his .356 career on-base percentage and history of success at Fenway Park, where he has batted .306 (19-for-62) with seven homers, 17 RBI and a 1.107 OPS in 19 games. Napoli seemingly would fill a void in the middle of the Red Sox’ lineup, although it should be noted that he has batted primarily seventh and eighth throughout his seven-year career with the Angels and Rangers. He also would no longer have the benefit of facing Red Sox pitching, upon which he always has feasted

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

looks like the red sox have a 3 year offer out for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we dont get Napoli or laroche tyes to play 1b, we may consider a possible Non-Tendered cadidate. Daric Barton of the A's may be one.

Hes only played PT the last couple years, but when he played 159 games in 2010 he had a line of .273AVG .391OBP .401SLG. His K/BB ratio is outstanding and hes not a FA until 2015.

I understand we would like more power at that position, but if we dont get one, this guy might be a good cheap alternative that fits in the patient batter mold that BC is getting back to, if in fact he is non-tendered...

Im not sure if he has an injury history, so if someone knows something that Im not aware of please enlighten me.

[/QUOTE]

Barton used to be a good all around player for Oakland, despite his light hitting approach.   It is entirely possible that Oakland does not even tender him a contract next season.  He's certainly be worth an MiLB deal or a guaranteed bench spot, but hoping on him as a starter might be a bit much, especilly given that he has spnet a lot of time the past year and a half recuperating from a shoulder issue.

Matt Adams of the Cardinals is another blocked prosepct who might be available.  He has nothing left to prove at AAA ball.  Adams is built like a small office building, and is held in check by Allen Craig.  He might be available for Allen Webster, who I still think has stamina issues, and should be the most expendable of the top prospects...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Barton used to be a good all around player for Oakland, despite his light hitting approach.   It is entirely possible that Oakland does not even tender him a contract next season.  He's certainly be worth an MiLB deal or a guaranteed bench spot, but hoping on him as a starter might be a bit much, especilly given that he has spnet a lot of time the past year and a half recuperating from a shoulder issue.

Matt Adams of the Cardinals is another blocked prosepct who might be available.  He has nothing left to prove at AAA ball.  Adams is built like a small office building, and is held in check by Allen Craig.  He might be available for Allen Webster, who I still think has stamina issues, and should be the most expendable of the top prospects...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks notin. I wasnt sure if barton had an injury issue. I saw in 2010 he played in 159 games and did very good, then the next 2 years a little over 100 games combined.

I think Webster might have stamina issues also. If a trade comes up with his name in it and it involves a good return, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Add Logan Morrison to the list of players that might be available for Webster and play 1B.  Of course, any deal for Morrison also includes his Twitter account...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Add Logan Morrison to the list of players that might be available for Webster and play 1B.  Of course, any deal for Morrison also includes his Twitter account...

[/QUOTE]

I think a bit of a platoon at first base is my preffered option. I like Morneau or Ike Davis in trade. But Morrison is another good trade option.

A free agent who might also fit well platooning with Napoli or Gomez or Sands is Lance Berkman. I was shocked to see his career OPS against righties is ....1.007. Mighty impressive.  Although his comments this off season are giving me a Roy Oswalt vibe from last year. Not a good thing.

My least favorite option at 1st base is LaRoche. Mediocre. Too old. Too many years. Too much money. Plus we lose the pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Berkman has been an OBP machine throughout his career. Not sure what hes got left in the tank though after a couple knee surgeries...

Dont think Id give Webster for Morrison...Hes been less than stellar to say the least...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The Sox should offer a 15-minute contract, base peanuts value contract to future dumpster divee Naples.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Look a team built with Gomes/platoon, Swisher, an aging Ortiz, Napoli, and no leader on the rotation is doomed to fail. This is a 1964 or 1983 type team.... prepare for a minus .500 season.

Guaranteed by July this team is ten back, under .500 and Elles and possibly Lester is traded to a contender.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Look a team built with Gomes/platoon, Swisher, an aging Ortiz, Napoli, and no leader on the rotation is doomed to fail. This is a 1964 or 1983 type team.... prepare for a minus .500 season.

Guaranteed by July this team is ten back, under .500 and Elles and possibly Lester is traded to a contender.

[/QUOTE]

Bring me Sunshine, in your smile,
    Bring me Laughter, all the while,
    In this world where we live, there should be more happiness,
    So much joy you can give, to each brand new bright tomorrow,

Make me happy, through the years,
    Never bring me, any tears,
    Let your arms be as warm as the sun from up above,
    Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love.

Bring me Sunshine, in your eyes,
    Bring me rainbows, from the skies,
    Life's too short to be spent having anything but fun,
    We can be so content, if we gather little sunbeams,

Be light-hearted, all day long,
    Keep me singing, happy songs,
    Let your arms be as warm as the sun from up above,
    Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedhoqYdfTM

Words - Sylvia Dee, Music - Arthur Kent

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We don't really need to have a 'good cheap alternative' at first base.  We've got at least 70 million in payroll room.  If we don't spend it on a guy like Napoli, who are we going to spend it on?  There just isn't that much free agent talent available this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

PITCHING !!!!!

It wouldn't hurt to offer Marcum, Harden, Jackson slightly inflated contracts for one or two years.  If I'm trying to improve the team the fastest way  is with the best pitching and for people that have proven they can and know how to pitch.

If you could sign two or all three then support them with Soriano as the closer that's what I would do. I would then wait and bottom feed a bit through FA or some non tendered contracts then thirdly in trade.

You then have some decent trade chips in Lester, Doubie and Bailey.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Red Sox are probably going to sign one starter only.  They have Lester, Buch, Lackey and Doubront.  As I said there is a lot of payroll room this year.

Sections
Shortcuts