napoli...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: napoli...

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli (based on averages) strikes out more than DAVID ORTIZ !!!

[/QUOTE]

He also HRs(based on averages)  more than David Ortiz!!!!

2010-2012:

Napoli

5.9% of PAs (80/1359PA)  

6.8% of ABs (80/1174 AB)

Papi    

5.3% of PAs (84/1594 PA)

6.1% of ABs (84/1367 AB)

[/QUOTE]

And that just tells u how bad Ortiz is! lol....  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2010-2012:

Napoli

5.9% of PAs (80/1359PA)  

6.8% of ABs (80/1174 AB)

Papi    

5.3% of PAs (84/1594 PA)

6.1% of ABs (84/1367 AB)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats because Papi has more AB's because he usually plays about 150 games a year and over 600AB's...Papi has more HR in a season than Naps has ever had...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

AHAH!  My point again. Napoli's numbers are minuscule compared to the others drewski listed. He plays  fewer games and thus his numbers ar ehigher. Ad another 200 AB's and he goes through ups and downs more  blah blah blah. You made my point. Someone had to, I obviously cannot.

Again why would anyone use a 162 average to assess the players abilities if that player has never played in more than 114 games other than once?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

AHAH!  My point again. Napoli's numbers are minuscule compared to the others drewski listed. He plays  fewer games and thus his numbers ar ehigher. Ad another 200 AB's and he goes through ups and downs more  blah blah blah. You made my point. Someone had to, I obviously cannot.

Again why would anyone use a 162 average to assess the players abilities if that player has never played in more than 114 games other than once?

[/QUOTE]

You bring up valid points Bur, as Drew does. I think Naps has value to the Sox. The question is what hes worth. I dont think he'll be in the way if he can switch to DH when papi leaves. But I do wonder, like you, what kind of production we can expect and IF he can play 150 games a year...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

2 years ten million.... all day long

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2010-2012:

Napoli

5.9% of PAs (80/1359PA)  

6.8% of ABs (80/1174 AB)

Papi    

5.3% of PAs (84/1594 PA)

6.1% of ABs (84/1367 AB)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats because Papi has more AB's because he usually plays about 150 games a year and over 600AB's...Papi has more HR in a season than Naps has ever had...

[/QUOTE]

My numbers are percents or "averages" as burr used with the Ks. Apples to apples guys.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How many games did papi play last year? Are you so sure he will play more than naps over the next 2 years?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I give up

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I give up

[/QUOTE]

Somehow, I doubt that...

;)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Naplie beyond 2 years @ base 10 is neither a fit nor a value. The desperate fixation on this guy is mistplaced. He's not that good, and is option #2 in a FA market that is nothing short of pitiful.

[/QUOTE]

Of course he's not that good...and I'll bet LaRoche gets way overpaid too.  Heck, let's just stay on the sidelines, keep the payroll down to about $100 mill, and sit back back and enjoy Mauro Gomez all summer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Of course he's not that good...and I'll bet LaRoche gets way overpaid too.  Heck, let's just stay on the sidelines, keep the payroll down to about $100 mill, and sit back back and enjoy Mauro Gomez all summer.

[/QUOTE]

I've got no problem with having a $100m payroll if it means not signing deadwood (Napoli circa 2015 - 2016).  Hfx you have been around long enough to remember when Sox fans didn't feel entitled to the playoffs.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've got no problem with having a $100m payroll if it means not signing deadwood (Napoli circa 2015 - 2016).  Hfx you have been around long enough to remember when Sox fans didn't feel entitled to the playoffs.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't feel entitled to the playoffs.  But I still prefer watching a team that can score some runs and win some games.  I think Napoli could do some good mashing for us.  And it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could be a productive DH in 2015 - 2016.  Stranger things have happened.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

with the price of tickets......monies generated by ownership.....well we should be entitled to the playoffs.......as fans we pay for the production of the product...and it should be a winning one

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Columnist Dave Cameron at U.S.S. Mariner takes a look at the Mike Napoli road show:

http://www.ussmariner.com/2012/11/27/a-quick-note-on-rumors/#comments

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and sit back back and enjoy Mauro Gomez all summer.

Nothing enjoyable about this image.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Pirates considered pursuing Napoli but didn't think he could stay healthy and effective as a full-time catcher in the NL, reports Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#2R5M7O3ilS6sALVg.99 

Click link

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

...and sit back back and enjoy Mauro Gomez all summer.

Nothing enjoyable about this image.

[/QUOTE]

2010 AVG MLB 1B   .800    MN   .784

2011 AVG MLB 1B   .796    MN   1.046

2012 AVG MLB 1B   .777    MN  .812  

Factor in that he is considered a poor fielder at both positions, he looks like a guy who had a career year, recent hamstring problems,  his joint damage from catching, his age in years 3 and/or 4, and the team that knows him best in Texas passed at $13.3m / one year. 

Bill James 2013

Jerry Sands       .812

Mauro Gomes   .804

Mike Napoli     .848

Is that all $12m ish buys in OPS?  Nevermind year 2, 3, or 4!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Oakland A's won the AL West despite a payroll of only $55 million.  The A's won by being creative with trades and other moves.  

As a Red Sox fan, given their vast resources available, we deserve to see a team to at least make the playoffs in 2013.  It's been three years since they made the playoffs and five teams can make the postseason.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Making my case. McCann and Mauer are better, McCann plays in the NL and has still managed to play more games than Napoli who can DH when not catching. Napoli will be out of the line-up as much as he is in or if he manages to stay healthy his OPS and other numbers will declinecompared to his "averages"

You want to bet Mauer is  a lock to the HOF? Unless he changes to 1B and starts hitting 30 homers a year he won't be a lock.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I am willing to admit that McCann and Mauer are better.  Is that all we need, to admit that two catchers with maybe 10 AS appearances are better than Napoli?  Cool.

IRT to Mauer needing to move to 1B to attain HOF-status, no.  Catchers are far more valuable. And Mauer has better stats than either Fisk or Carter at this point in their careers.  Mauer is the best catcher in BB since Bench.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Based on your logic, Papi strikes out more since he has more ABs.  After all, we don't know how many Ks Napoli will have if he plays 162 games.  Since we can't extrapolate HRs, according to you, then we cannot extrapolate Ks either.  Maybe he'll have -0- Ks in all those extra ABs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Based on your logic, Papi strikes out more since he has more ABs.  After all, we don't know how many Ks Napoli will have if he plays 162 games.  Since we can't extrapolate HRs, according to you, then we cannot extrapolate Ks either.  Maybe he'll have -0- Ks in all those extra ABs.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, Papi struck out less, even with more PAs than Naps over the last few seasons.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

See moon, you are all brains. The rest of them just want me to be wrong.....  sadly I have to continue to educate them all.  = )

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Making my case. McCann and Mauer are better, McCann plays in the NL and has still managed to play more games than Napoli who can DH when not catching. Napoli will be out of the line-up as much as he is in or if he manages to stay healthy his OPS and other numbers will declinecompared to his "averages"

You want to bet Mauer is  a lock to the HOF? Unless he changes to 1B and starts hitting 30 homers a year he won't be a lock.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I am willing to admit that McCann and Mauer are better.  Is that all we need, to admit that two catchers with maybe 10 AS appearances are better than Napoli?  Cool.

IRT to Mauer needing to move to 1B to attain HOF-status, no.  Catchers are far more valuable. And Mauer has better stats than either Fisk or Carter at this point in their careers.  Mauer is the best catcher in BB since Bench.

[/QUOTE]

You just named 3 catchers who all hit 300+ homers. Mauer won't sniff 200 homers.... please dont make me do more research just to show the obvious

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, Papi struck out less, even with more PAs than Naps over the last few seasons.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I've gotten to the point where I'm not sure stats even count, so they don't need to be checked.  If Napoli isn't a good hitter by virtue of the fact that catchers play less games than 1B, what difference could accurate statistics mean?

The next step in the discussion is that SPs should only be paid 20% of what hitters get since they only play 20% of the games.