napoli...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: napoli...

I think the Sanchez deal is the key at this point. If they pull the trigger there we can see a competitive team in 2013 potentially. Napoli is probably a buy low candidate for someone we can use as a catcher / DH in 2 years. A needed power RH bat. A guy who might be available at a cheaper price than his long term value warrants. A guy who may well succeed in Fenway. At the right price I can see him happening, as well as a guy like Sanchez. 

They are the type of moves which make us competitive without breaking the bank, or ruining our long term retooling effort.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Larkin a catcher?

[/QUOTE]

Is Sandberg a catcher?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's hard to believe Napoli might be option #1 for us. I feel like we are back in the twilight zone years of the Redsox during the 1980s etc... where we have little hope of really winning. We hear rumors of Cherington shopping Lester and Buchholz?

Someone pinch me fast. This must be a sign of dementia.

Or it could just be a realization that this year's FA market stinks and that there is little hope of the Redsox being able to turn this team around quickly. For me, our best shot was Kuroda to have a chance to win next year. But that boat has now sailed so what next? It looks to be maybe a Napoli / Sanchez type move or Laroche/Sanchez possibly. Unless we are in complete revamp mode and really shopping Lester, Ellbury, Buchholz.

What a haul those guys could command in terms of prospects. I think we should certainly explore it. Personally, I'd do the Will Myers / Lester deal straight up. It's probably a losing call for us but given the situation we are in I'd roll the dice in the hope that Myers does become a low cost, premium stud in our OF for the next 6 years. I like the retool option for premium prospects and Myers is clearly a stud.

Maybe the Toronto situation and Baltimore's emergence etc...has changed the LIKELIHOOD of winning next year. Henry has a pretty good grasp of statistics right. The entire staff does. Maybe they have looked at the competitive landscape and determined that it's time to do a 2-3 year retool? One could make a strong case for that scenario. They have a good base of prospects to begin with. Adding another 4-5 top guys would give them almost an entire team of potential all stars on the farm.

If they don't do some major signings this winter ( Hamilton, Sanchez...etc. ) will this be the year we pull a Marlin's winter?.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting about the Myers/Lester deal. I imagine that we would have to kick in salary to get it done, not because Lester is not worth it, but I am not sure that KC can afford him. Lester might be an FA the following year if KC doesn't pick up his option. 2014 could see Lester and Myers as Red Sox starters. Wishful thinking, perhaps

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

joe 99% of anything I said about Napoli stemmed from Drewski trumping his high OPS... to which I simply countered that his OPS probably would never be that high had the guy played regularly in 145+ games a year. Come on now and look at his stats... he has hundreds upon hundreds fewer bats then all the other OPS leaders Drewski named. 

Joey Votto was probably the only player listed that comes close to Napoli in terms of AB's and GP and HR and RBI. Pujols, Fielder, and AGon should never be mentioned in Napoli comparisons, not ever.

If a pitcher makes 15 starts a year and goes 7-0 each year you don't start comparing his winning percentage to guys who start 30 games a year. A yes pitcher Y has a favorable winning percentage to Seaver, Ryan, Kofax... etc...... no you don't do that.

[/QUOTE]

Pitchers and 1Bs are apples and oranges.  1Bs can play almost indefinitely without wearing down.  But past that, I would certainly extrapolate the numbers.  Medlen had 120 Ks last year.  You don't think it will go up when he becomes a fulltime SP?  If Morales starts next year, do you expect his Ks to stay the same as last year?  Machado had about 200 PAs for the O's this year.  Next year, when he plays full time, do you he'll still have only 7 HRs?

It makes no sense to say that someone have 50% more of anything without a corresponding increase.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If it came down to having to choose one:

Greinke  $100M/5

or 

Sanchez $80M/5

Napoli $35M/3

or 

Swisher $48M/4

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Greinke  $100M/5

or 

Sanchez $80M/5

Napoli $35M/3

or 

Swisher $48M/4

[/QUOTE]

Isn't the question low balling Swisher and Grienke's numbers and over doing Sanchez's?

Anyway, if forced to choose I go with Napoli and Greinke at your numbers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

Greinke  $100M/5

or 

Sanchez $80M/5

Napoli $35M/3

or 

Swisher $48M/4

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez and Napoli

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Greinke & Sanchez ... Most definetlly :) who could argue? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In fact, I propose not having a First Baseman at all. Thus putting due pressure & extra incentive on our underperforming pitching staff to strike batters out or not have batters get on base in the first place. Come on, let's be honest. Does Lackey even deserve a 1st Baseman? I think not. When it's time to bat, there will be no name announced for our 1B, only white noise

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

As of now, we do not have a good team. Oakland & Balt are better than us, as are many other teams.

[/QUOTE]

Some underestimate Oaklands pitching, it is very good. Do you agree?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As of now, we do not have a good team. Oakland & Balt are better than us, as are many other teams.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just because they have a big park and the numbers are deflated, doesn't mean they are not good.

On paper, we are presently one of the worst 2013 teams in MLB right now. At best we might be near #17-20. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I like Sanchez. I hope to God they don't sign Swisher. No way he puts up similar numbers in Fenway

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see us getting Sanchez & Napoli  or  McCarthy and Napoli

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Speaking of Napoli, when Toronto acquired him from the Angels, instead of keeping him, they then traded him to Texas.   Two years later, a lot of teams are interested in him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

Greinke  $100M/5

or 

Sanchez $80M/5

Napoli $35M/3

or 

Swisher $48M/4

[/QUOTE]

Like the quote from "Moneyball", "Are those my only two options?"   LOL

If I had another option, I would sign McCarthy at 3 years, $25 million, Hamilton at 4 years, $108 million and pick up Mark Reynolds (even though he strikes out 1,000 times per season LOL) to play first. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Speaking of Napoli, when Toronto acquired him from the Angels, instead of keeping him, they then traded him to Texas.   Two years later, a lot of teams are interested in him. 

[/QUOTE]

And yet he gets passed around from team to team like a Hollywood slut.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

2007 25 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $395,000     2008 26 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $425,000     2009 27 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $2,000,000     2010 28 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $3,600,000     2011 29 Texas Rangers $5,800,000     2012 30 Texas Rangers $9,400,000 contracts   2013 Status 4th-Year Arb Eligible (Super 2),  Earliest Free Agent: 2013

There isn't an iota of reason that would cause someone to pay this guy more than $7 million a year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many teams would pay him $8M a year. It's the $11M or more that makes GMs hesitate.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

7- 8 who do we appreciate. As we say here in Phnom Penh "same same"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

7-8 vs 11 is a lot... even in Phnon Penh

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Sorry I meant 7 compared to 8.... anyone getting ten million plus better play in more than 114 games a year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Firstbaseman James Loney apparently is off the table and headed to Tampa Bay:

https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/275477276672532481

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/2012.shtml

Their by far leader in IP , Tommy Milone, had the benefit of not being around for a while (the more times a batter faces a pitcher, the more it favors the hitter).  Tommy had an unimpressive H/9 , a very average ERA, and not nerly enough K's.  K's are a good indication of "upside", so their #1 (in terms of innings pitched) is kind of mediocre.

Behind Milone, was Parker, who gave up 3 BB/IP and dissapointed regarding strikeouts.  #3 was Bartolo.

Regarding offense: Reddick was their #1 batter in terms of PA and had a very average .768 OPS.  Despite a hot start, he was hitting eigth in their lineup by end of season.  Jemile Weeks is a good defender, but he doesn't have the bat of his brother (not even close).

Cespedes and Crisp are awesome.  But I dont expect teh As to make the playoffs this year.

McCarthy , probably their best pitcher in terms of stats, is a free agent coming off a concussion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Oakland A's just upgraded their offense by getting Chris Young from Arizona.  With Reddick and Cespedes, the A's can trade Crisp. 

Their rookie starting pitchers did a great job handling pressure down the stretch.  All they did was overcome a 5-game deficit with 9 to go to win the AL West.

I think the Oakland A's will continue to do well in 2013 by clinching a wild card berth. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was Ok with Napoli at $33M/3, and I said I wouldn't argue with $36M/3, but $39M/3 was too much.

He is a good fit, since we need a 1Bman and a DH in 2 years (or less if papi gets hurt). He can slide to catch in NL parks or when we pinch hit for Salty or Ross (or Lava), but he shouldn't be counted on as our FT catcher or even a platoon catcher.

It will be interesting to see what the next plan is: RF or SP.