napoli...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: napoli...

Moon, technically you may be right, but an additional Million per, with the Sox right now, not in danger of approcahing the Luxury Tax threshhhold, is insignificant, and if doing it lands you a piece right away and allows you to move forward with further off season moves, it is well worth it. Spinning wheels and waiting, while other pieces get eaten up in other deals by other teams, is worse. As you noted, the Sox now, have their needs down to 2 positions, RF, and SP....with a surplus of catchers and middle relievers.....salary flexibility and as you have written many times, alot of duplication in prospects.....they are primed to make trades. Personally, I would stick to the trade route from here on, rather than sign a Swisher or Victorino....only FA outfielder I would want is Hamilton.....and I would rather trade for RA Dickey than sign one of the mid level Pitching FA's. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, technically you may be right, but an additional Million per, with the Sox right now, not in danger of approcahing the Luxury Tax threshhhold, is insignificant, and if doing it lands you a piece right away and allows you to move forward with further off season moves, it is well worth it. Spinning wheels and waiting, while other pieces get eaten up in other deals by other teams, is worse. As you noted, the Sox now, have their needs down to 2 positions, RF, and SP....with a surplus of catchers and middle relievers.....salary flexibility and as you have written many times, alot of duplication in prospects.....they are primed to make trades. Personally, I would stick to the trade route from here on, rather than sign a Swisher or Victorino....only FA outfielder I would want is Hamilton.....and I would rather trade for RA Dickey than sign one of the mid level Pitching FA's. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, actually it is $2M more per year than what I thought was best, but I understand your point, as well as Drewski's and others. The market has risen, and if we are to try and improve without trading prospects, then deals like this are needed. At least we don't lose a draft pick here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I give the Sox a B- on this. Held firm on 3yrs & got their guy. Paid a little too much. Not too much as to effect the team, but on principle. Well, as they say in the butcher shop: " NEXT! ".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to emp9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I give the Sox a B- on this. Held firm on 3yrs & got their guy. Paid a little too much. Not too much as to effect the team, but on principle. Well, as they say in the butcher shop: " NEXT! ".

[/QUOTE]

His contract could put us near the luxury limit in 2014 and 2015, but at today's prices I guess this is what it costs to stay competitive in the AL East for 2013.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, actually it is $2M more per year than what I thought was best, but I understand your point, as well as Drewski's and others. The market has risen, and if we are to try and improve without trading prospects, then deals like this are needed. At least we don't lose a draft pick here.

[/QUOTE]

About right.  I thought $11M was right, but I'd have offered a 3+1, so it's probably similar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

About right.  I thought $11M was right, but I'd have offered a 3+1, so it's probably similar.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to make a big stink over a $2M a year x 3 difference, although I had already factored in an "overpay" when I mentioned $33M/3 as my top offer.

I am happy we have Naps and hope his contract does not hamper us in 2014 & 2015.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Sorry to be a nattering nabob of narcissistic negativism, especially given the fact that I am a Yankee fan, but I think they are paying way too much for a guy who had a career year in 2011, but was just okay last year...Will he be catching that much, given the crowded Red Sox back-of-the-battery field?...Even if he plays first, he is no more of a defensive wiz there than in the outfield or behind the plate...He seems primarily like a DH to me, but I suppose I will probably be proved wrong...Overall, IMHO, a risky and perplexing signing (especially because of the amount of dough he will receive)....Like I said though, my thumbs down on the Napoli trade will probably jack up the odds he will be a big success in Boston...At least in my little solipsistic corner of the universe....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry to be a nattering nabob of narcissistic negativism, especially given the fact that I am a Yankee fan, but I think they are paying way too much for a guy who had a career year in 2011, but was just okay last year...Will he be catching that much, given the crowded Red Sox back-of-the-battery field?...Even if he plays first, he is no more of a defensive wiz there than in the outfield or behind the plate...He seems primarily like a DH to me, but I suppose I will probably be proved wrong...Overall, IMHO, a risky and perplexing signing (especially because of the amount of dough he will receive)....Like I said though, my thumbs down on the Napoli trade will probably jack up the odds he will be a big success in Boston...At least in my little solipsistic corner of the universe....

[/QUOTE]

One thing I don't think you can correctly say about this signing is that it's perplexing.  Napoli has great numbers at Fenway, great numbers in other AL East parks, and the Red Sox will be facing some very good lefty pitchers in the AL East.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Thw whole concept of 'they overpaid' seems like a bit of a joke right now.  B J Upton - 75 million.  Jeremy Guthrie - 25 million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The Red Sox are building a team that is going to score 5-6 runs a game and lose as the opposing teams will be scoring 8-9 runs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox are building a team that is going to score 5-6 runs a game and lose as the opposing teams will be scoring 8-9 runs.

[/QUOTE]

Let's hope the focus switches to SP'ing now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

There is no starting pitching that can help us via FA. It must be from a trade... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A Sanchez is as good or better than anyone we have. He may not be an ace, but he'd help.

As I have said, sign Mccarthy and that will allow us to trade Doubront and morales as part of a big package to get a much better pitcher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This hope that Lackey is going to help us turn things around is a long gamble.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How long do they give him before they drop him completely? I hope one day he makes a bad investment and loses most of that money. Maybe he invests in Schilling's video game co.?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a gamble that makes sense for 2013 as a transition year though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and that is why I see 2013 as a bridge. If Lackey was our 5/6 starter, then maybe things might be different, but I think Ben views him as our 3/4 starter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and that is why I see 2013 as a bridge. If Lackey was our 5/6 starter, then maybe things might be different, but I think Ben views him as our 3/4 starter.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know that Cherrington thinks this way.  We shall be able to know his mind more as the coming days unfold.  Obviously, he views Lackey as a member of the rotation.  But I don't know what makes him the 3 slot.  If the Sox do not pick up a good pitcher, ok, yes they see him in that role.  But, I think they go get someone and see Lackey as back of the rotation gamble ... this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we get a pitcher, but we will still not be good enough to seriously compete even for a playoff slot.

So, having Lackey as our 4/5 man is not an issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

I think we get a pitcher, but we will still not be good enough to seriously compete even for a playoff slot.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree it is not an issue.  Not sure that adding a Brandon McCarthy (say) and another good positional player (RF) anywhere on the spectrum of Cody Ross - Josh Hamilton doesn't make us playoff-contenders.  Non-contenders if Lester screws the pooch again, sure.  But the club constructed with these two projected additions is pretty interesting, in my eyes.  Many if's, granted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree it is not an issue.  Not sure that adding a Brandon McCarthy (say) and another good positional player (RF) anywhere on the spectrum of Cody Ross - Josh Hamilton doesn't make us playoff-contenders.  Non-contenders if Lester screws the pooch again, sure.  But the club constructed with these two projected additions is pretty interesting, in my eyes.  Many if's, granted.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and by adding McCarthy, we will be better situated for 2014 and beyond (assuming he signs for 3+ years).

McCarthy and Ross make us marginal playoff contenders. Hamilton & McCarthy make us serious playoff contenders, but not a top 4 favorite.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and by adding McCarthy, we will be better situated for 2014 and beyond (assuming he signs for 3+ years).

McCarthy and Ross make us marginal playoff contenders. Hamilton & McCarthy make us serious playoff contenders, but not a top 4 favorite.

[/QUOTE]

it still all rests on the play of lester and buch... we live and die with them

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I said last year along with Beckett. Now we need to get 2 for 2 not 2 for 3.

The odds are worse now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I said last year along with Beckett. Now we need to get 2 for 2 not 2 for 3.

The odds are worse now.

[/QUOTE]

well if we make smart moves on the pitching front they rest of the rotation can pick up the slack if the pair are not dominant. but if lester and buch  pitch like they did in 2012 we are still screwed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The odds are worse now.

[/QUOTE]

well if we make smart moves on the pitching front they rest of the rotation can pick up the slack if the pair are not dominant. but if lester and buch  pitch like they did in 2012 we are still screwed.

[/QUOTE]

If we had A Sanchez and McCarthy, we might be able to absorb off-seasons by Lester and Buch as long as others like Doubront. Morales, Tazawa, and or Mortensen rise to the occasion. 

The problem as it is now, is that we are pinning all of our hopes on everything going right at the same time with lester, Buch, lackey, & Doubront. We really can't afford just one of them getting hurt or doing badly to have any chance at the playofss... as it stands now.