In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think we get a pitcher, but we will still not be good enough to seriously compete even for a playoff slot.

So, having Lackey as our 4/5 man is not an issue.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree it is not an issue.  Not sure that adding a Brandon McCarthy (say) and another good positional player (RF) anywhere on the spectrum of Cody Ross - Josh Hamilton doesn't make us playoff-contenders.  Non-contenders if Lester screws the pooch again, sure.  But the club constructed with these two projected additions is pretty interesting, in my eyes.  Many if's, granted.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and by adding McCarthy, we will be better situated for 2014 and beyond (assuming he signs for 3+ years).

McCarthy and Ross make us marginal playoff contenders. Hamilton & McCarthy make us serious playoff contenders, but not a top 4 favorite.

[/QUOTE]

it still all rests on the play of lester and buch... we live and die with them

[/QUOTE]

That's what I said last year along with Beckett. Now we need to get 2 for 2 not 2 for 3.

The odds are worse now.

[/QUOTE]

well if we make smart moves on the pitching front they rest of the rotation can pick up the slack if the pair are not dominant. but if lester and buch  pitch like they did in 2012 we are still screwed.

[/QUOTE]

If we had A Sanchez and McCarthy, we might be able to absorb off-seasons by Lester and Buch as long as others like Doubront. Morales, Tazawa, and or Mortensen rise to the occasion. 

The problem as it is now, is that we are pinning all of our hopes on everything going right at the same time with lester, Buch, lackey, & Doubront. We really can't afford just one of them getting hurt or doing badly to have any chance at the playofss... as it stands now.

[/QUOTE]

as it stands now. but i don't think it'll be standing that way for very long. at least i hope... we all hope

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: napoli...

Even if we sign an A sanchez or McCarthy, it won't change the fact that Gomes and Victorino were mistakes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

Even if we sign an A sanchez or McCarthy, it won't change the fact that Gomes and Victorino were mistakes.

[/QUOTE]

yea, i agree...i like napoli...i was hopin ben would keep it simple and not do all those lateral, meaningless moves...sign a 1b, a frontline pitcher, and keep papi and ross....so much for that plan...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I still think they're a top 5 offense with who they signed. Mistake or not. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Forget the money... Napoli sucks. I cannot believe all the garbage hype on this board in support of this dude being a "power guy" and "Fenway slugger"... I will not let any of you fools forget your words on this one

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Forget the money... Napoli sucks. I cannot believe all the garbage hype on this board in support of this dude being a "power guy" and "Fenway slugger"... I will not let any of you fools forget your words on this one

[/QUOTE]

And we, in turn, will never forget your words and in fact will shove them down your bile-spewing throat as Napoli slugs his way to glory this year!!!!!!

Actually, lighten up a bit, willya?  Jeez.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Napoli rules!  You're goin' down on this one, Ench.  This is a pizzing contest I can get invested in. :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to emp9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not on a neutral field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not on a neutral field.

[/QUOTE]

You mean away games?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not on a neutral field.

[/QUOTE]

You mean away games?

[/QUOTE]

No, I meant on a hypothetical average sized park vs avg MLB pitchers. We are not number 5 if you adjust to our hitter's park for 50% of our games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I don't see a huge drop off on the offense. Napoli Will bat higher in the order than his usual, more RBI chances. Got just as much power than AGone did. Don't think he'll bat .300, but anywhere from 260-280.& when's the last time we had huge numbers coming out of RF anyway? Victorino will be on par w/what we've had offensively, he can steal a base and he brings 7GGs to the table. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't see a huge drop off on the offense. Napoli Will bat higher in the order than his usual, more RBI chances. Got just as much power than AGone did. Don't think he'll bat .300, but anywhere from 260-280.& when's the last time we had huge numbers coming out of RF anyway? Victorino will be on par w/what we've had offensively, he can steal a base and he brings 7GGs to the table. 

[/QUOTE]

Our defense will be much better next year, especially if Iggy is our SS, and Ross catches a lot, but we will have a step down at 1B on D.

While SV and Gomes hit one side well, they are basically platoon players. Naps might do better than AGon did last year, but he's not better. D Ross will not outhit what Shoppach gave us. Iggy will not outhit Aviles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Our defense will be much better next year, especially if Iggy is our SS, and Ross catches a lot, but we will have a step down at 1B on D.

While SV and Gomes hit one side well, they are basically platoon players. Naps might do better than AGon did last year, but he's not better. D Ross will not outhit what Shoppach gave us. Iggy will not outhit Aviles.

[/QUOTE]

Ross should do at least as well as Shoppach.  Shoppach had a .928 OPS at Fenway last year, .733 overall for the season.  Ross had a .770 OPS last year and should benefit from Fenway like Shop did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we are also getting an upgrade from CF, 2B and 3B (if middlebrooks progresses) just by having good health. even in LF if you compare gomes/extra OF'er to the navas, pods, and Lins of the world who played OF for us last year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we are also getting an upgrade from CF, 2B and 3B (if middlebrooks progresses) just by having good health. even in LF if you compare gomes/extra OF'er to the navas, pods, and Lins of the world who played OF for us last year

[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing your right about upgrades at CF, 3B and 2B, but you know how these things usually work: not all will have big years, or someone else will have a bad year or get hurt to offset the gain.

If we stay 100% healthy and everyone else has the normal amount of injuries, declines and bad luck, then we may be close to competing for a playoff slot after we pick up a solid starter, but I'm not ever counting on even 90% health again. 

On LF, our LF'ers combined for a .267/.332/.411/.744 line last year.

(not that significant, but Nava had a .789 OPS when in LF last year.)

Gomes the last 3 years:                .249/.340/.434/.774

I do think Gomes is better vs LHPs than CC & Nava of last year, but I'm not thrilled about our LF production this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair.  But please dont tell me that the signing was a mistake when he has a .255 BA, with a .345 OBP and a pro-rated 30 HR's.

If you can point out that he was a bust without using the single most overrated stat in MLB history, I will eat my words.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing your right about upgrades at CF, 3B and 2B, but you know how these things usually work: not all will have big years, or someone else will have a bad year or get hurt to offset the gain.

If we stay 100% healthy and everyone else has the normal amount of injuries, declines and bad luck, then we may be close to competing for a playoff slot after we pick up a solid starter, but I'm not ever counting on even 90% health again. 

On LF, our LF'ers combined for a .267/.332/.411/.744 line last year.

(not that significant, but Nava had a .789 OPS when in LF last year.)

Gomes the last 3 years:                .249/.340/.434/.774

I do think Gomes is better vs LHPs than CC & Nava of last year, but I'm not thrilled about our LF production this year.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  However, if we are in the hunt, we will address this at the trading deadline.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not on a neutral field.

[/QUOTE]

I don't put any stock in hypotheticals.  Especially in Fenway, build a club tailor-made for the park.  Who cares if the park inflates the production?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not on a neutral field.

[/QUOTE]

I don't put any stock in hypotheticals.  Especially in Fenway, build a club tailor-made for the park.  Who cares if the park inflates the production?

[/QUOTE]

thats why its called home field advantage

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thats why its called home field advantage

[/QUOTE]

And the Sox have certainly had some teams that were built for Fenway and used it to their advantage.

Last year, though, the Fenway effect sort of covered up how bad the offence was.  They scored 419 runs at home and 315 on the road.  So at home they looked like one of the top offences in the league, and on the road they were at the bottom.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Last year, though, the Fenway effect sort of covered up how bad the offence was.  They scored 419 runs at home and 315 on the road.  So at home they looked like one of the top offences in the league, and on the road they were at the bottom.

It's curious how the Red Sox went from first in the league in runs scored on the road in 2011 to dead last in 2012:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&type=0&season=2011&month=16&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&type=0&season=2012&month=16&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"..thats why its called home field advantage."

"...It's curious how the Red Sox went from first in the league in runs scored on the road in 2011 to dead last in 2012..."

Which shows why we may be the best offensive team at home and worst away, and where does that leave us in the standings? Just look at 2012.

Conversely, our pitching wasn't as bad as the numbers show, but some like softy were fooled by the adjustment craze and failed to realize we still need help with our rotation.

Sections
Shortcuts