napoli...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: napoli...

Sign a good pitcher.  Napoli is not worth a big contract.  Let Seattle have him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Now, it looks like he is just using Seattle as leverage for BOS. Jen Royle, who is friends with Napoli, says that a three year deal with an option may get it done, and that he is trying to extract every last penny from the Sox. Brace yourself for a bidding war.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Thought Seattle had the ex Yankee Monterro who was suppose to be their catcher of the future?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Thought Seattle had the ex Yankee Monterro who was suppose to be their catcher of the future?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mike Napoli - C - Rangers

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and Sirius XM reports that Mike Napoli is holding out for a four-year deal from the Red Sox.

If Napoli can't get it from Boston, he's going to look for alternatives. With that in mind, Bowden hears that Napoli will meet with the Mariners, who may be willing to give a fourth year. The 31-year-old is coming off a down year, but has plenty of pop and could be used at catcher, first base or DH.

[/QUOTE]Sox don't need another catcher or DH. My guess one of the M boys from the Twins will end up in Boston to play first base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Montero is and will be a DH going forward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mike Zunino is their "catcher of the future"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

its a good thing Ben waited to make napoli an offer because as the resident geniuses say on bdc, the price is sure to go down...LOL

i think ben's plan to spend most of his energy in the early hot stove getting a last place manager for a player and getting TWO hitting coaches was waaaaay more important than getting a 1B or starter that we so sorely need....

let's wait a lil longer because we all know the price goes DOWN with time in an auction/signing period

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PITCHING !!!!!

It wouldn't hurt to offer Marcum, Harden, Jackson slightly inflated contracts for one or two years.  If I'm trying to improve the team the fastest way  is with the best pitching and for people that have proven they can and know how to pitch.

If you could sign two or all three then support them with Soriano as the closer that's what I would do. I would then wait and bottom feed a bit through FA or some non tendered contracts then thirdly in trade.

You then have some decent trade chips in Lester, Doubie and Bailey.

[/QUOTE]

I hate to sound critical, but if you are suggesting an inflated contract for Harden, you might not be following BB close enough.  5.58 for TX in 2010, 5.12 for Oakland in 2011, and didn't play in 2012.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

its a good thing Ben waited to make napoli an offer because as the resident geniuses say on bdc, the price is sure to go down...LOL

i think ben's plan to spend most of his energy in the early hot stove getting a last place manager for a player and getting TWO hitting coaches was waaaaay more important than getting a 1B or starter that we so sorely need....

let's wait a lil longer because we all know the price goes DOWN with time in an auction/signing period

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, waiting for a manager last year really worked out well for us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...I dont see any other teams except a couple make moves...2 of those players already knew where they wanted to go. Hunter and Kuroda.

Maybe its because the FA are waiting to sign with a team. Not so much that the Sox are doing nothing. You know, the agent goes back and forth and gets teams to bid against eachother so their client gets the most $$$. Why would any agent take the first offer? You know this, yet you keep complaining...I dont get it...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Say NO to 4 years of Napoli!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

3 Yrs - 30 mil.    Thats it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I am shocked to see that Napoli wanted four years contract.  Napoli rejected few one to two years contract with Texas along with few others.  Now he got a three years offer from Boston which I assumed, and now he is trying to play game with Boston??  Look what happen to Damon, Pedro, Jason Bay, etc who all got mad at Boston for not either raising the dollars or numbers of years....all of them didnt last more than two to three years with the new team.

Come on Napoli, you were sort of being an often injure proned player including he had a quad problem all year last year, and now he think he can play four full years without getting hurt?

Seattle will not offer him more than four years anyway cuz Seattle already had some bad contracts in the past such as Figgins. 

Also most free agents who signed with a new team all got up to three years contract!!  Boston isnt going to change their mind on adding another year!!

Take it Napoli or end up getting only one year contract just like Cody Ross last year!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

Sign Napoli to a 3 year contract with an option for the 4th. Sox have no 1bmen in the minors and Laroche keeps the Sox being tooooo lefty. Seattle already has 3 catchers and Sox I believe want Napoli for 1base. Now a right fielder and a starting pitcher and not a 5th spot pitcher

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am shocked to see that Napoli wanted four years contract.  Napoli rejected few one to two years contract with Texas along with few others.  Now he got a three years offer from Boston which I assumed, and now he is trying to play game with Boston??  Look what happen to Damon, Pedro, Jason Bay, etc who all got mad at Boston for not either raising the dollars or numbers of years....all of them didnt last more than two to three years with the new team.

Come on Napoli, you were sort of being an often injure proned player including he had a quad problem all year last year, and now he think he can play four full years without getting hurt?

Seattle will not offer him more than four years anyway cuz Seattle already had some bad contracts in the past such as Figgins. 

Also most free agents who signed with a new team all got up to three years contract!!  Boston isnt going to change their mind on adding another year!!

Take it Napoli or end up getting only one year contract just like Cody Ross last year!!

[/QUOTE]

every player will try to get the most they can...it's just the way it is...so napoli is asking for 4 years so what? i would to if i was him.and if he gets it good for him..freeagent is a game and all the players are playing right now...getting what is best for them...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and even though I have recently armed up to the thought of Napoli for $33M/3, I'd rather just extend Salty, trade Lava, and use the Naps money to upgrade our rotation.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and even though I have recently armed up to the thought of Napoli for $33M/3, I'd rather just extend Salty, trade Lava, and use the Naps money to upgrade our rotation.

[/QUOTE]

even if we sign napoli..we still will spend on our rotation..believe me..we have the money signning 4 players or 5 players will not stop us from signning a 13 or 14mil a tear starter...it's going to happen.we could always make a trade for someone like gavin floyd...and i still feel we might be in the race for hamilton.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mike Zunino is their "catcher of the future"

[/QUOTE]

Zunino might be the catcher of the future, but he has all of 1 season of professional baseball under his belt...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Zunino might be the catcher of the future, but he has all of 1 season of professional baseball under his belt...

As did catchers Buster Posey, Matt Wieters and Alex Avila the offseason before each made his MLB debut.

Zunino, Posey, Wieters and Avila played in major college programs in southeastern United States. Zunino was the third pick in the 2012 draft, Posey the fifth pick in the 2008 draft, Wieters the fifth pick in the 2007 draft and Avila a fifth-round pick in 2008.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As did catchers Buster Posey, Matt Wieters and Alex Avila the offseason before each made his MLB debut.

Zunino, Posey, Wieters and Avila played in major college programs in southeastern United States. Zunino was the third pick in the 2012 draft, Posey the fifth pick in the 2008 draft, Wieters the fifth pick in the 2007 draft and Avila a fifth-round pick in 2008.

[/QUOTE]

But those are all completely different players from completely different organizations.   How many players have the current Mariners regime brought up to MLB the year after they were drafted?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

But those are all completely different players from completely different organizations.   How many players have the current Mariners regime brought up to MLB the year after they were drafted?

Seattle reliever Carter Capps made his MLB debut in 2012 after being taken in the 2011 draft.

Dustin Ackley had only one year of professional experience before being called up, although (like Buster Posey) Ackley did not play professional ball the year he was drafted.

Kyle Seager played 44 games the year Mariners drafted him and made his MLB debut less than two years later.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mike Napoli - C - Rangers

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and Sirius XM reports that Mike Napoli is holding out for a four-year deal from the Red Sox.

If Napoli can't get it from Boston, he's going to look for alternatives. With that in mind, Bowden hears that Napoli will meet with the Mariners, who may be willing to give a fourth year. The 31-year-old is coming off a down year, but has plenty of pop and could be used at catcher, first base or DH.

[/QUOTE]

I like Napoli but not at fours years.  He has basically been a platoon player throughout his career because of splits and average defense.  If Mike is only going to agree to four years to play in Boston we hopefully decline. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

think 3 years is a stretch for the 31 year old napoli, let alone 4. personally would prefer laroche. napoli will weaken the infield at 1b. who knows what the plans at catcher are this year, but you have to believe the idea is he plays 1st. they already have an entrenched DH. I'd be fine at 2x10, 2x11, even 2x12, and like the idea of being able to move him around if you had a guy to platoon with him at first, but if they are keeping salty that idea is out. whatever the case, obviously if he's not settling for for 3 years he's definitely not settling for 2. just think 4 would be a major mistake so as it seems like there's a 3 year offer out there, hope the team doesn't bend. also don't think this signing will have any effect whatsover on them obtaining a front line starter and another outfielder, etc. even with arbitration dollars, ross, gomes, and the possibility of napoli they're probably working with a good 60 million and cherington has all but assured us they're going to use most of it. unless they go after a hamilton or greinke 35-40 million is probably more than enough to fill their remaining holes.