napoli...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: napoli...

The Rangers reportedly are in the mix as well, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports:

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/272072658097680384

This Seattle fan hopes the Mariners are merely trying to jack up Mike Napoli's price to the Rangers or Red Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Rangers reportedly are in the mix as well, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports:

This Seattle fan hopes the Mariners are merely trying to jack up Mike Napoli's price to the Rangers or Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]

You have a hard time admitting you are wrong so I would love to see the M's sign because you would have to admit the M's aren't that excited about their youth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:

But those are all completely different players from completely different organizations.   How many players have the current Mariners regime brought up to MLB the year after they were drafted?

Seattle reliever Carter Capps made his MLB debut in 2012 after being taken in the 2011 draft.

Dustin Ackley had only one year of professional experience before being called up, although (like Buster Posey) Ackley did not play professional ball the year he was drafted.

Kyle Seager played 44 games the year Mariners drafted him and made his MLB debut less than two years later.

[/QUOTE]

So... Carter Capps?

Which means Zunino, like most Mariners' prospects will not be rushed along as readily as other organizations have pushed their catchers. 

Relief pitchers such as Capps do frequently make the majors within a year of being drafted (Capps, Chris Sale), and some, such as Joey Devine and Chris Hanson, that same year.  This is rare for any other position on any other team, although it has happendd (Ryan Zimmerman, for example)...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You have a hard time admitting you are wrong so I would love to see the M's sign because you would have to admit the M's aren't that excited about their youth.

And I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't the Mariners be looking for hitters?  They's had the worst offense in the league for some time now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to notin's comment:

So... Carter Capps? Which means Zunino, like most Mariners' prospects will not be rushed along as readily as other organizations have pushed their catchers.

I've never predicted that Seattle will call up Mike Zunino in 2013. I merely cited examples of catchers who came up with only one prior year of professional experience and then accurately answered your follow-up question. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/newmans-own-best-catchers-of-2012/

The promotion of a highly drafted catcher depends largely on whether the catcher is coming out of high school or college, and if out of college, the quality of the competition. Buster Posey, Matt Wieters, Alex Avila and Mike Zunino all played at top-notch college programs, as did Yasmani Grandal, who debuted in 2012 less than two years after playing only eight games the year he was taken with the 12th pick of the 2010 draft.

I would bet (figuratively) that Mike Zunino will make his MLB debut at least one year before the expiration of the contract Mike Napoli signs this offseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why?  If I was a Mariner fan, I'd be hoping that front office is doing something worthwhile.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Shouldn't the Mariners be looking for hitters?  They's had the worst offense in the league for some time now.

Pretty much every team is looking for hitters.

Seattle's Safeco Field significantly suppresses the hitting numbers of the Mariners (and other clubs). In 2012 the young Seattle hitters ranked eighth among the 30 MLB teams in runs scored on the road (while the Red Sox ranked 26th):

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=0&season=2012&month=16&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

Good hitters struggle at Safeco Field; mediocre hitters thrive at Fenway Park.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to vtfanofcs's comment:

Why?  If I was a Mariner fan, I'd be hoping that front office is doing something worthwhile.

Sure ... the issue is whether Mike Napoli is worthwhile for the Mariners.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

Sure ... the issue is whether Mike Napoli is worthwhile for the Mariners.

[/QUOTE]  So, if the Mariners are meeting with Napoli as reported, it is to explore their own interest in him.  And not just some elaborate time wasting plot to cost the Red Sox or Rangers some money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

So, if the Mariners are meeting with Napoli as reported, it is to explore their own interest in him.  And not just some elaborate time wasting plot to cost the Red Sox or Rangers some money.

I found the answer regarding the Mariners meeting with Mike Napoli:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/

Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik likely would be interested in any player at the right price regardless of the team's needs. Trader Jack may acquire an undervalued asset then later flip the acquired asset for a upgrade, perhaps at the trading deadline the following July.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

So, if the Mariners are meeting with Napoli as reported, it is to explore their own interest in him.  And not just some elaborate time wasting plot to cost the Red Sox or Rangers some money.

Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik likely would be interested in any player at the right price regardless of the team's needs. Trader Jack may acquire an undervalued asset then later flip the acquired asset for a upgrade, perhaps at the trading deadline the following July.

[/QUOTE]

So it's not some elaborate time wasting conspiracy from the Mariners to cost the Red Sox or Rangers some money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

MLB Trade Rumors as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

So it's not some elaborate time wasting conspiracy from the Mariners to cost the Red Sox or Rangers some money.

That's a fair statement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

And I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

[/QUOTE]

Nothing personal, you have a hard recorginizing that the information you have may not be the truth. Look at the projections of Youk and Middlebrooks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Pretty much every team is looking for hitters.

Seattle's Safeco Field significantly suppresses the hitting numbers of the Mariners (and other clubs). In 2012 the young Seattle hitters ranked eighth among the 30 MLB teams in runs scored on the road (while the Red Sox ranked 26th):

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=0&season=2012&month=16&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

Good hitters struggle at Safeco Field; mediocre hitters thrive at Fenway Park.

[/QUOTE]

The Mariners scored more road runs than the Rangers in 2012.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Nothing personal, you have a hard recorginizing that the information you have may not be the truth. Look at the projections of Youk and Middlebrooks.

I can't remember the projections for Kevin Youkilis and Will Middlebrooks, but after the trade Youkilis posted a .236/.346/.425/.771 line in 344 plate appearances while Middlebrooks posted a .240/.276/.416/.692 line in 134 plate appearances.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=middlwi01&t=b&year=2012   

Projections should not be confused with "the truth." Some projections are based on gut feelings while other projections are based on sophisticated statistical analysis. Neither is foolproof.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bill James on 2013:

Youk (566 PA)  .265/.371/.465/.836  21 HRs  80 RBI

Midd (565 PAs) .277/.316/.490/.806  29 HRs  99 RBI

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Napoli did not turn 31 until after the 2012 season.  He will be 31 throughout 2013, 32 throughout 2014, 33 throughout 2015, 34 throughout 2016.  At the age of 34, there is no reason to think that he can't DH against lefties, provide pop off the bench, back up multiple positions.  Sure he'll be overpaid, but he wont be useless.

His avg  OPS over the last two years (> .900), ranks third among 1B.  He is not an average hitter for a first baseman.  Maybe top 5.  He his a much better than Tex, Morneau. 

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20221124dont_sell_napoli_short_at_first/srvc=home&position=6 

There is no reason to think that this number would severly drop off now that he is fully healed from a nagging hamstring injury, moving to a park where his career OPS is > 1.000, getting away from the riggors of catching everyday.  It is not unreasonable to think that he will rank in the top 5 among 1B in OPS over the next three years.  Its almost unreasonable to think that he wont. 

Get him.  I'd prefer three years too, but if we have to overpay him in the fourth year to have him in our lineup over the next three, its worth it.  The Sox have the resources to deal with this in 2016.  he is one of the best hitting first baseman in the league.

Sign Napoli, trade for one of JUPP/Stanton, and we are instantly competitive in 2013.  Dont bean count with sluggers.  They are not easy to acquire.  Its noteworthy that we dont have a plethora of 30HR bats or 1B coming up through the farm.  We have a lot of solid pitching prospects and young pitchers (Doubie, Morales, De La Rosa, Webster, Barnes, Owens, even Buchholz , Lester arent old).  This is a great place to spend the money. 

Tried to get him to a three year deal, couldnt.  Darn.  Okay , so I guess we're going to have to bite the bullet and have a versatile player w/ pop on our team in 2016 who is overpaid.  A slight inconvenience.  Better solution than not signing Naps.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Napoli's OPS blows Swisher's out of the water.  Swisher is older.  Swisher will definitely get four years.  Even LaRoche , who looked washed up going into last year, and is 33 is going to get 3-4 years.

If you are not willing to sign Napoli to four years (at 30 yrs old), considering how well he fits (draws walks, Fenways swing, fills a position where wo dont have prospects, good in the clubhouse), who you do not have to give up any draft picks for, you are not going to ever sign an impact free agent again.

I dont want to become the Pirates.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Napoli not only has the 306/397/710 line at Fenway.  In the new Yankee Stadium, in 32 PA's he has 9 hits, including 2 HR's, and 7 walks.  At Tropicana, in 62 PA's he has a 250/371/519 line, with 4 HR's.  So in 3 parks where he will play a total of 99 games a year, he has monster OBP and power numbers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Napoli not only has the 306/397/710 line at Fenway.  In the new Yankee Stadium, in 32 PA's he has 9 hits, including 2 HR's, and 7 walks.  At Tropicana, in 62 PA's he has a 250/371/519 line, with 4 HR's.  So in 3 parks where he will play a total of 99 games a year, he has monster OBP and power numbers.

[/QUOTE]

He is an OPS monster , who turned 31 last month, who is defensively versatile, who plays a position where the sox dont have prospects, in a weak free agent class.  The link to the herald article that i provided above submits that he is a much better hitter than morneau and tex and is actually undervalued.

I'd agree.  Over the next three years, playing 99 games in those parks, not having to catch everyday, I'd expect him to outslug AGON.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli's OPS blows Swisher's out of the water.  Swisher is older.  Swisher will definitely get four years.  Even LaRoche , who looked washed up going into last year, and is 33 is going to get 3-4 years.

If you are not willing to sign Napoli to four years (at 30 yrs old), considering how well he fits (draws walks, Fenways swing, fills a position where wo dont have prospects, good in the clubhouse), you are not going to ever sign an impact free agent again.

I dont want to become the Pirates.

[/QUOTE]

There is a rather substantial grey area between not signing Napoli and becoming the Pirates.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drewski, I'm with you all the way as you can see.  I think it would be a major mistake not to sign Napoli.  This is a guy who could give us Manny-like production from the right side.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

double post

Sections
Shortcuts