Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Re: Napoli

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to Javi60's comment:

[QUOTE]

Number one concern in redsox nation... 

Napoli is an easy strikeout for any good pitcher.  No bat speed. Him batting fifth is a big mistake. 

[/QUOTE]

Agree totally, he should bat seventh and platoon with Carp...Sox need a solid deal before july 31 or else...too many holes for a six months season... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to CapeCad76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I expect the front  office to replace Napoli next winter. There is the hip issue that will only get worse, he strikes too much, and he will want to go elsewhere where they ignore his hip.  It was a bargain to sign him for one year at such a low price.

I might be wrong on Napoli but if I were the GM, I would start considering a replacement for him next winter. Just my opinion at this time.

[/QUOTE]

He's not signed beyond this year. Thank goodness the deal got changed to a year. He won't be back. He may be on pace for the all time strikeout record.

[/QUOTE]

He will not break the record because he won't play much regularly if he keeps this up. Three more weeks, max.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Dgalehouse is indeed trying to have fun because there is nothing he relishes more than the Sox losing and opportunities to say, "I told you these guys were bums." 

I am merely defending Napoli, not because I am unaware of his K's, but because he has been and is a part of a lineup that has scored the most runs in MLB, and Napoli has the second most rbi's, 55, on the team.  Moreover, Farrell continues to bat him fifth, and I'm inclined to think Farrell knows what he is doing.  dgalehouse appears to think Farrell does not know what he is doing.

If you watch this game, you will notice that, while Lackey is pitching a pretty good game, he does love his fastball and is not afraid to put it over the middle of the plate, which is how those two dingers were hit.  Weaver, on the other hand, doesn't much like his 87 mph fastball and throws it off the plate, but throws plenty of sliders, changeups, and curve balls over the plate, which has allowed him to keep the Sox batters very much off guard.  Napoli ain't the only guy striking out.  Ortiz did so with men on first and third and one man out.  Carp has done so twice despite the lefty vs. righty advantage. 

I say all of the above because I think it is wrong to single out Napoli in a game in which the all-star has looked at least as bad if not worse than Napoli.  Pedroi, the other all-star, is also hitless in three at bats.  In fact, everyone is looking bad because Weaver is a smart pitcher with pretty good control and an assortment of off speed pitches. 

Hate me if you will Max, I am just telling it like it is. Napoli does not have the bat speed to catch up with a good fastball. When he tries to cheat, he is vulnerable to the curveball. It is only getting worse as the season progresses. Like you , I expected better.  Unlike you , I can see the reality. Having him bat fifth is a mistake.  Max, why attack me for stating the obvious ?  My opinion of you has dropped quite a bit for that reason. Can't you defend your position without insulting your fellow Sox fan? 

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Let's not be argumentative here guys. We are supposed to be having fun here.

You are right. I try to have fun. But sometimes people try to provoke. I try to ignore it and still have fun. A sense of humor is important in life. What say you, Cape?   I know you have a sense of humor. Why not show it, instead of looking for trouble?  Is that your idea of fun?  Why not use your best qualities?  Seriously. 

[/QUOTE]

He is Pike DGale.....

[/QUOTE]

I know that. He doesn't try to fool anybody. It is always apparent who it is behind the various aliases. I have had a lot of interaction with him. I don't have a problem with him. He does have a good sense of humor. Why he goes off the rails, I have no idea. Maybe it is his own little game. Who knows?  It doesn't bother me at all. I don't think any poster should be banned unless it is for a very good reason. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Napoli also got half his Rbis in the first month and has been largely unproductive ever since.  The Sox unit as a whole has been productive but Napoli has largely reduced his contributions.  While I generally concede that the manager knows best one thing that I notice is that ALL managers are very very very slow to make lineup adjustments based on performance. 

Here's what i would do: I'd bring JBJ up, move nava to 1st and trade napoli. Doubt that will happen, but i think it improves the team.

[/QUOTE]

I second that motion. I think Bradley is ready. I also think it is a mistake to think of Bradley solely as a replacement for Ellsbury.  We should try to put our best nine on the field. If that includes both Ellsbury and Bradley, then so be it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

I agree that Napoli is an automatic out in most cases. Use him part-time at best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I swear, the guy has got Lou Gherig's disease and just doesnt know it yet. He HAS to! The guy simply cannot catch up to and make contact with a baseball. What is wrong with him? He makes Adam Dunn look like Tony Gwinn.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

Napoli also got half his Rbis in the first month and has been largely unproductive ever since.  The Sox unit as a whole has been productive but Napoli has largely reduced his contributions.  While I generally concede that the manager knows best one thing that I notice is that ALL managers are very very very slow to make lineup adjustments based on performance. 

Here's what i would do: I'd bring JBJ up, move nava to 1st and trade napoli. Doubt that will happen, but i think it improves the team.

[/QUOTE]

That would be a lot easier to do if the old WM would come back soon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Not quite ready to give up on Napoli, but its getting close. Another three weeks or so. Still, Napoli is not the most pressing issue: its the PEN. FIX IT BEN!

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

napoli is one of the sox top two concerns without a doubt, our line up is not loaded offensively especially in terms of power, yes guys are producing but lets be honest, nava is not going to continue hitting the way he has been, and there is a considerable lack of right handed power especially with middlebrooks is AAA. Napoli really has struggled and his lack of hitting (especially power) combined with his below average defensive skills are a problem. he is soely on this team for his bat, the problem is that we basically have to hope he turns it around as we have no other options. No way he gets benched, only thing i could see happening is if boegarts catches fire in AAA and really dominates, perhaps we call him up and put napoli on the DL and move middlebrooks to first. (boegarts plays 3rd) But realistically we just have to hope he turns it around. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There is a difference between having poor bat speed and being fooled by pitches.  With Napoli He's getting fooled and he has some flaws in his swing.  If you go study his at bats you will see he has no trouble hitting a good fastball when he sees it coming.  Napoli does drop his hands down to far often and puts a big uppercut in his swing.  As a result his bat is not in the strike zone and it gives him an uppercut swing, which is pretty much an all or nothing approach.  Napoli has pretty much always hit like that and as a result has been a very hot/cold hitter.  There's nothing wrong with that if you are batting 7th in the lineup but when you are expected to be the big right handed power bat in the lineup then you really stand out when you go cold.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

napoli is one of the sox top two concerns without a doubt, our line up is not loaded offensively especially in terms of power, yes guys are producing but lets be honest, nava is not going to continue hitting the way he has been, and there is a considerable lack of right handed power especially with middlebrooks is AAA. Napoli really has struggled and his lack of hitting (especially power) combined with his below average defensive skills are a problem. he is soely on this team for his bat, the problem is that we basically have to hope he turns it around as we have no other options. No way he gets benched, only thing i could see happening is if boegarts catches fire in AAA and really dominates, perhaps we call him up and put napoli on the DL and move middlebrooks to first. (boegarts plays 3rd) But realistically we just have to hope he turns it around. 

Agreed, Nava has over produced this year and we are lucky because the rest of the outfielders are punch and judy hitters. I hate to say this but I think Ellsbury must have been on PEDs in 20111 becaue he has no power whatsoever anymore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Ct,

The reason for that is that hitters go through cycles where they're seeing the ball well and squaring up pitches, and every hitter goes through stretches where it seems like they can't hit it if they placed the ball on a tee. End of the day they need Napoli to hit and he 'can't get right sitting...his track record suggest that he will come out of it and when all is said, he'll get his numbers. Dropping him in the lineup might well be the short term fix and a few days off probably won't hurt either. Those that are questioning his bat speed as the root of his problem are reaching for an answer that they want to hear. I think his real issue is opening up too soon and is having trouble with the ball on the outer half....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ct,

The reason for that is that hitters go through cycles where they're seeing the ball well and squaring up pitches, and every hitter goes through stretches where it seems like they can't hit it if they placed the ball on a tee. End of the day they need Napoli to hit and he 'can't get right sitting...his track record suggest that he will come out of it and when all is said, he'll get his numbers. Dropping him in the lineup might well be the short term fix and a few days off probably won't hurt either. Those that are questioning his bat speed as the root of his problem are reaching for an answer that they want to hear. I think his real issue is opening up too soon and is having trouble with the ball on the outer half....

[/QUOTE]

I completely 100% agree with this. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

I expect the front  office to replace Napoli next winter. There is the hip issue that will only get worse, he strikes too much, and he will want to go elsewhere where they ignore his hip.  It was a bargain to sign him for one year at such a low price.

I might be wrong on Napoli but if I were the GM, I would start considering a replacement for him next winter. Just my opinion at this time.

[/QUOTE]

Don't have to worry... They already are considering a replacement. They were hoping for a one good year out of Naps.Buying some time and saving some money.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

100% agree!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

100% agree!!!

Ortiz is not and has never been a concern... Napoli has been since his original contract was reduced by mutual agreement... What is more concerful is the obsession of keeping him in  such a prominent Offesive role in everyday line-up...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Paying a guy 5 million who can't catch up to a fastball has redefined the word bargain. Now Nava, he's a bargain.

He will be making much more than $5M.

• 1 year/$5M (2013)
      • signed by Boston as a free agent 1/17/13
      • may earn additional $8M in roster and performance bonuses:
        • full $8M with 165 days on active roster, or
        • $0.5M each for 30, 60, 90, 120 days on active roster and 300, 325, 350, 375 plate appearances. $1M each for 400, 475, 550, 625 PAs

I figure he make the $2M for being on the active roster for 120+ days.  He'll make another $2M for reaching 375 PAs. (He's already at 344 and 90 days on the roster.). That brings him up to $9M easily. Then, add $1M for 400 PAs (very likely), and 475 (likely), and 550 (probable), and 625 (maybe not). 

He should make $11 or 12M this year.

His RBIs have helped us win many games, but he needs to get another hot streak to duplicate his first half RBIs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm not worried about a streaky power hitter who carries a .343 on-base percentage and who ranks seventh among Red Sox position players in Wins Above Replacement and third in Ultimate Zone Rating:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=3&rost=0&age=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=3&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

When it comes down to it's really not so much that Napoli has been a problem rather the fact that we rely on him to be a middle of the order hitter is a problem.   It pretty much started in the beginning of the year when we had high expectations on WMB.  Some of us knew and called out for others to not be surprised when WMB had a tough sophmore campaign and that left Napoli as the guy to rely on for power in the middle of the lineup. Which he really is not, he's a streaky guy that will hit 25-30 home runs strike out a ton and walk a lot as well.  If the hit tool was there for him he could handle a middle of the order assignment with his high strike outs but his hit tool isn't that great and he's very streaky.  

So again, especially for the money he's paid he's not so much a problem; rather our expectations of Napoli and what he's relied upon is what is wrong.  Still....moving forward I would like to see much more production come from the 1B position. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Yes but given a sample size larger than 1 at bat....David Ortiz is a better more productive hitter.

Ortiz doesn't hurt you batting in the middle.....Napolis does.  Honestly if Napoli continues to struggle the Sox need to consider other options or at least drop him in the order.

I give him until Aug 1. Then play Carp more often.

What makes you think Carp is the answer?  Napoli is a major concern. He is swinging at air 40% of the time with 112 K's in 303 AB's. Also, most teams get significant production from the 1B position. Though Napoli says his hip feels great, he's got 10 HR's.

Thankfully, he's only signed this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ct,

[/QUOTE]

While I don't get to watch the Sox/Napoli play often, it does seems that Napoli is a sucker for anything on the outer half of the plate and seems to be trying to pull that pitch much more than trying to go with it to right/right center.  Pedroia and Trout are good examples of going with the pitch on the outer half with lots of success.....just saying......