Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Napoli

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Yes but given a sample size larger than 1 at bat....David Ortiz is a better more productive hitter.

Ortiz doesn't hurt you batting in the middle.....Napolis does.  Honestly if Napoli continues to struggle the Sox need to consider other options or at least drop him in the order.

I give him until Aug 1. Then play Carp more often.

What makes you think Carp is the answer?  Napoli is a major concern. He is swinging at air 40% of the time with 112 K's in 303 AB's. Also, most teams get significant production from the 1B position. Though Napoli says his hip feels great, he's got 10 HR's.

Thankfully, he's only signed this year.

I never said Carp was the answer....I just said I'd give him more playing time and Napoli less if this continues.  In his time played Carp has been a much more productive hitter than Napoli has.  Yes his K rate is high but Napli's is almost equally high but Carp's OPS is .200 points higher he has half the RBI's but in 1/3 of the at-bats and I think his Defense at 1B has been better than advertised.  So barring we trade for the next Joey Votto at the trade deadline (which I in no way advocate) what would be wrong with giving Carp 1-2 starts over Napoli during any given week?????I understand that most teams have great hitting 1Bmen as it's not that hard to find offensive minded 1st Baseman which is why I've suggested an upgrade in the offseason. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

rack another one BurritoT was right about in March. We would not even be having this conversation had the rest of you not salivated over his awesome Fenway numbers. What was it, 70 career at bats? lol.

I believe I also mentioned the fact that he was hitting against a not so great Sox rotation at that time.

Ive been a bit frustrated with him since his hot start. I liked the signing for the money and had no issue with 1 yr, but come august, he either needs to be platooned with or dropped in the lineup....Or both.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Napoli also got half his Rbis in the first month and has been largely unproductive ever since.  The Sox unit as a whole has been productive but Napoli has largely reduced his contributions.  While I generally concede that the manager knows best one thing that I notice is that ALL managers are very very very slow to make lineup adjustments based on performance. 

Ct,

The reason for that is that hitters go through cycles where they're seeing the ball well and squaring up pitches, and every hitter goes through stretches where it seems like they can't hit it if they placed the ball on a tee. End of the day they need Napoli to hit and he 'can't get right sitting...his track record suggest that he will come out of it and when all is said, he'll get his numbers. Dropping him in the lineup might well be the short term fix and a few days off probably won't hurt either. Those that are questioning his bat speed as the root of his problem are reaching for an answer that they want to hear. I think his real issue is opening up too soon and is having trouble with the ball on the outer half....

The voice of reason. Youre probably right, at least I hope you are. My alternative possibility of Lou Gherigs disease is life threatening.....LOL Lets work on keeping the hip closed before we send him to Mao.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Some people say that Napoli is a better second half hitter. That is a pipe dream. The guy has no bat speed. The word is out. That will not change. Playing him against tough right handers , much less batting fifth, is not smart. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Bat speed is not relevant tonight.  Weaver is throwing lots of breaking balls and a fastball that averages around 87. 

Bat speed may be irrelevant against Weaver but sometimes it looks like the guy has never seen a curve ball in a lifetime of at-bats. Carp is also a way better fielder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Some people say that Napoli is a better second half hitter. That is a pipe dream. The guy has no bat speed. The word is out. That will not change. Playing him against tough right handers , much less batting fifth, is not smart. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I do not agree at all with this assessment at all.   Are you saying he is losing his batspeed?  First, I really doubt any of us can see changes in batspeed while watching a game, especially for a player who is new to the team and we have no real benchmark.  How fast was Napoli swinging last year, and how much has it dropped?  Watching him not catch up to fastballs is not proof of anything.   Did he catch up to those same fastballs last year?  How about last month?

In fact, Napoli’s K% has actually decreased every month, from 35.7% in April to 31.7% is May to 28.4% in June.  Also, his LD% has increased every month, from 25.0% in April, to 27.5% in May, to 32.7% in June.   For those of you wondering how these LD numbers stack up, they are actually insanely good. 

So Napoli is striking out less and putting more line drives in play as the season goes on.  This is absolutely NOT a sign of a player with alleged batspeed issues. 

Napoli’s strikeouts are largely a function of taking lots and lots of pitches, and therefore trying to hit with lots of 2 strike counts.   You cannot judge batspeed on a guy swinging with 2 strikes, because sometimes there is an adjustment made by the hitter that can drastically affect his swing.   He is walking less than in previous years, which is a cause for concern.    While his K% is up to a career high, his BB% is actually at a career low.  It would appear as though a good chunk of his strikeouts are coming at the expense of walks, and not on balls in play.   His batting eye is one part of the problem.  (For reference on this, I verified that his O-Swing% - or percentage of times he swings at pitches outside of the strike zone – is also at a career high level.)  Granted, not all his strikeouts are coming at the expense of walks, but it would appear as though about 50% of his increase is.

Another real issue is the drop in power.  His FB% is down from previous years, as is his calling card HR/FB%.  If he was hitting his usual 44% flyballs instead of 37%, and if his HR/FB% was at his typical 20% instead of 13%, you would be looking at a player with 17HRs. Fans would be asking why he was left off the All Star team instead of suggesting he be dropped in the lineup behind fellow strikeout problem Jarrod Saltalamacchia, or replaced altogether with career role player Mike Carp.

So the issues are drop in power and batting eye.  This could simply be an off year for Napoli, or a career turning point, and he could be morphing into a line drive hitter with less power, just like Justin Morneau or Paul Konerko have done in recent years (granted both have very different reasons for their changes).  Or Napoli could be embracing a new hitting style, one that emphasizes putting his pitch in play and making solid contact as opposed to swinging for the fences as often as possible.  He is hitting more line drives than in previous years, and his 27.1% line drive rate this year is tied for sixth in MLB with Joe Mauer.  That he had more RBI during the month where he struck out the most and hit the fewest line drives also makes me think he has made some changes to his approach and is not swinging for the fences as often as possible anymore.

Fans will probably not like the new Napoli approach because it is very reminiscent of how JD Drew approached hitting…

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

Becoming awful watching him K incessantly. How many times has he struck out on three pitches? 

"When I die Dublin will be written in my heart." - James Joyce

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Even the Seattglee announcers are making remarks about Napoli putting his foot in the bucket on every swing. Actually, he's pulling off every pitch.

They say he's a rally nice guy; right now he's the prime example of Durocher's famous comment: "nice guys finish last", and the RS biggest liability.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

[QUOTE]

Number one concern in redsox nation... 

Napoli is an easy strikeout for any good pitcher.  No bat speed. Him batting fifth is a big mistake. 

I would say for any pitcher from double A upward! What a slap to devoted Red sox Nation...Farrell is going too far on this issue!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Number one concern in redsox nation... 

Napoli is an easy strikeout for any good pitcher.  No bat speed. Him batting fifth is a big mistake. 

I would say for any pitcher from double A upward! What a slap to devoted Red sox Nation...Farrell is going too far on this issue!

Napoless....1 for 4; two more K's. Its getting old

Sections
Shortcuts