Napoli..................do you sign him next year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Napoli..................do you sign him next year?

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Papi will never retire! He's immortal!

wait....what?!

papi is still on this team?  i thought he was only a PT player and always injured.  didn't we get rid of him 2 years ago along with Ells?

This crowd has gone tone-deaf.

ROTFLMAO!  I can't beleive this didn't even get a LOL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

You are absolutely correct.  Power numbers or naught, contact hitter is first priority when considering candidates for DH.  League-leading-strikeouts does not cut it.

Furthermore, the Sox should begin strategizing and shopping for a power-hitter who consistently makes contact, either for 1B or LF with Nava/Carp platooning at 1B. 

Thank you Mike Napoli for what you have contributed thus far to the Sox and what you may yet contribute to the Sox quest for a World Series Championship, but get your luggage ready because the Sox will be moving forward in 2014 without your services.  Thanks again and Adios.

And for those who inevitably will ask, 'who do you see as his replacement?', I would certainly take a close look at Paul Konerko.  Yes, he did have a 'down' year in 2013, and yes he is 37 years-old, but if you look at his numbers for 2010, 2011, and 2012, you might wonder if, in spite of 2013, he might have enough left in the tank to have one last 'hurrah' year at Fenway.  And Konerko loves to hit at Fenway, which his numbers at Fenway throughout his career support.  With the signing of Abreu by the White Sox, Konerko who is a FA is certainly not resigning with Chicago.

Here are some career averages.

Napoli strikes out 161 per year or 31% of his at bats, Konerko 96 SO per year or 16% of his at bats.,

BA, Napoli .259, Konerko .281,

RBI, Napoli 88, Konerko 99

HR ave, Napoli 32, Konerko 31,

OBP, Napoli .357, Konerko .356

SLG, Napoli .502, Konerko .491

I'm not saying the Sox should rush out and sign Konerko, but I am saying that there are optional choices that are worth scrutinizing before signing Napoli to a $12M/year deal for 2 or 3 years.

Compare these career numbers for Mike Napoli and Paul Konerko (Konerko is 5 1/2 years older than Napoli):

MN 3231 PA, .259/.357/.502/.859, SO 26.6%, OPS+ 127

PK 9281 PA, .281/.356/.491/.847, SO 14.4%, OPS+ 119

Strikeouts frustrate the common fan but should be viewed in the larger context of offensive contributions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Old, old subject, but a timely OP.  No question I seen him a little differently now.  I think the Sox keep Drew or Napoli but not both and was all for keeping Drew.  But those two have been night and day in the postseason, and Drew has had the advantage of facing mostly righty pitchers.  His value as fielder is higher, but Napoli definitely has the better bat.  And he plays first base well, for whatever that is worth.  So right now I lean toward Napoli, a reversal for me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It should be added, Napoli has been MUCH better than expected at first base.  He has made some fine plays over there, including in this series.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Napoli is frustrating as hell to watch sometimes. He goes long periods where it seems all he does is strike out. And at other times he hits some key HRs. His defense has been surprisingly good. After giving this some thought I think that if we can get him to sign a one year contract for the right money and contingencies (penalty for time missed due to his hip issues) then I would do it. Not more than one year though: his hip condition is progressive and there is a high likelihood that he will eventually need hip replacements after he is forced to quit baseball. I don't want the team on the hook when that happens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We could certainly use a better and more consistent bat to protect Papi next year and perhaps replace him some day, but there are no free agents that fit the model and any trade for a bigtime hitter will cost half the farm.

Then, we look at what position best suited for a bug upgrade:

CF: hard to upgrade in a big way from Ellsbury

1B: not many 1Bman did better than Napoli, and we also have Middy ready to move to 1B to make room for Bogey or Cecchini. (We also have Carp, Nava and Papi who can play 1B.)

SS/3B: Wherever Bogey does not play. Again, we have Middy and Cecchini at a low financial cost for many years to come.

LF: Nava/Gomes make a wonderful platoon while offering a nice 4th OF'er/PH option (Nava can play RF and 1B as well)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It should be added, Napoli has been MUCH better than expected at first base.  He has made some fine plays over there, including in this series.

He's been even more than just "more than expected". He's been fantastic on defense, especially digging out bad throws.

I know UZR/150 is supposed to only be used in 2+ year sample sizes, but he led MLB at +13.3 this year (only 6 guys were over 4.6).

He's 6th from 2012-2013 at +8.7.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Naps will be looking for that retirement contract of 4 years(which he will get with a decent WS).  Sox won't bite, with Nava/Carp/WMB potentially covering 1B.  Him and Drew and Ells are gonners.

Konerko or Morneau are nice temp fill-ins though at 1B.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Naps will be looking for that retirement contract of 4 years(which he will get with a decent WS).  Sox won't bite, with Nava/Carp/WMB potentially covering 1B.  Him and Drew and Ells are gonners.

Konerko or Morneau are nice temp fill-ins though at 1B.  

Konerko may retire. Morneau will be looking for 3+ years.

If Naps gets a QO from us, which he almost certainly will, many teams will not want to give up the draft choice to offer a long term deal to a player with degenerating hips. There may be some GM out there, and Naps will probably take the advice of his agent, but it's hard to tell right now, what that may end up being.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

would you have said the same before the homerun off Verlander??

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

No. Offer him a QO and hope he turns it down. Good chance of it. Sell high, the replacement costs and value for Napoli are much better. Emotion is what makes bad business decisons. Getting Napoli for 2013 on a one year lower cost deal was an outstanding decision. Doubling down after 2013 is thinking that 2013 Napoli has anything to do with 2014 Napoli.

And who's our first baseman next year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Stritkeouts only frustrate me in Clutch Situations. Like Runners on 3rd and 2nd 1 or 2 outs, Bases loaded, no outs. RISP with 2 outs. Lot of runs left on bases because of Strikeouts.
    And its an easy out, nobody else involved except Pitcher and Catcher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

No. Offer him a QO and hope he turns it down. Good chance of it. Sell high, the replacement costs and value for Napoli are much better. Emotion is what makes bad business decisons. Getting Napoli for 2013 on a one year lower cost deal was an outstanding decision. Doubling down after 2013 is thinking that 2013 Napoli has anything to do with 2014 Napoli.

And who's our first baseman next year?

Looks like Naps, guy has a great track record of his teams making the Play-offs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

YES, sign him.  His beard is looking more like a rainforest.   LOL  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think the market this year for Qualifying Offer is 14.1 Million.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

OK Fireman, I like the fact-based analysis you presented there.  Not 100% sure about Morales myself.  But I do respect the analysis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Absoultely.  Always, always, always sell high.  When a player has a good year assume that he can't possibly be that good and assume that it was a one year fluke.  Get rid of him ASAP.

When buying, always buy low.  Look for that player who's just had a terrible year because he can be gotten cheaply.  Immediately sign him to a multi-year contract because this is the guy who has the most promise. These are the players to build around - unless they have a good year, then "sell high". 

When signing FA's always try to predict what the market will be and then offer 1/2 to 2/3 of that.  Who knows?  They might be dumb enough to take it!

There's no doubt in my mind now, this forum DOES need an :eye roll: emoticon. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Napoli is just another decent first baseman with some pop.

There are a lot of those out there.

Sections
Shortcuts